Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Scarlets team vs Leicester (a)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2018 at 9:27am
We need possession -seems to be the key and the worry tonight!
Sponsored Links

ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2018 at 10:20am
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Keeping hold of it has also been a problem for us this year.
Siddell Boyy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Siddell Boyy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2018 at 10:33am
I'd like to see us utilise soft hands in the narrow channels out wide like we did on one or two occasions last week vs racing in the last 15 minutes. Its so hard to defend when we get that right. Tonight's conditions should be perfect for it. 
Oh that's a huge Gary Owen
Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2018 at 10:37am
Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

I think keeping hold of it has been more of a problem that possession per se. I appreciate they are linked in many ways, but if we win our set pieces and keep hold of the ball we should be ok.  From memory, we failed to do both well against Racing for periods of the game. 

Turnovers are so last year for us. Smile
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Sosban bach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sosban bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2018 at 10:54am
Think were going to be relying on some signature scarlet individual flair to win this tonight, weather conditions sound perfect for it so no excuses when it comes to handling tonight.
NobbySosban View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2018 at 11:00am
I spent 4 good years in Lestooor, a lad on my course trained with the Tigers and even turned out for them a couple of times when they still wore letters of the alphabet on their backs, so I'm looking forward to returning to Welford Road this evening.

They're a proper olde English rugby club, stuffed full of middle-aged men who expect to beat their opponents through attritional forward domination every game, and especially against inferior Welshies with their la-di-da running rugby.

They stamp their feet on the wooden stands when 'Smoke on the Water' comes on the PA to intimidate the away team in the changing room below, and they direct their po-faced derision towards the ref for any decision which falls below their expectations.

They have the narrowest pitch in British rugby to contain attacking threats, and they cling proudly to their glorious history. But they're not the team or club they were, and, although they also have their backs to the wall in the European competition they used to dominate, they will fight and bay for everything tonight.

It's a great challenge for our under-strength outfit, but it's one they can rise to. Meet their forwards head on, own the set piece, make every breakdown a real contest, don't let them feed their wingers, out-sing them in the stands, and our attacking threat will take their opportunities. Tigers' 100% home European record against us there to be broken. Approve
BigRed1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigRed1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2018 at 11:57am
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Originally posted by BigRed1 BigRed1 wrote:

Originally posted by Legendinmybathroom Legendinmybathroom wrote:

Originally posted by Huwbach Huwbach wrote:

A bit worried tbh. Massive underdogs here as they are packed with quality. I have no problem with Ioan starting though he has been great. They must see Asquith as an impact player in keeping the bench strong for a late run if we are still in it. I hate injuries and the loss of Barclay and Beirne.

I agree with the loss of Barclay and Beirne. I too, really like Asquith, I think that he has the most technical ability of any of our backs. He sees things before anyone else around him and has tremendous pace off the mark, to help him take advantage of his quickness of thought.
I believe that Pivac is keeping him on the bench as he is not only an impact player but a versatile player who can cover several positions across the backline.
The better players are always good in more than one position so they get shunted around. James Hook is one of those guys.
Even at his age now Ospreys who struggle to score tries but due to an injury to Sam Davies in Ospreys last game Hooky took over at FH and guess what, Ospreys scored 4 tries. When last did they ever manage that against a French team?
If James Hook had as many chances at FH as Biggar and Priestalnd have had Wales rugby (& Ospreys) would have been in a better place than it is now.
Asquith is probably the same. He'll be shunted around simply because he is so good in many positions.
Hook was a bang average test player. Pau sent a third string side to Wales last week and the Ospreys only just managed to get the bonus point

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/6454287.stm
BigRed
knutsfordlion View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knutsfordlion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2018 at 12:17pm
The only changes from the side last week is Tom and Ioan coming in for Jake and Johnny.
Our pack has stood up to bigger units than the Tigers have and held their own. Racing were massive last week but our set piece was still strong.

Concentrate on defending the driving mauls and we will be OK.
We did pretty well last week in this facet but sadly got one wrong which cost us the game.

We still possess footballers in our backs and not the Tuilagi crash bang wallop. Just be aware of Ford crosskicks to the wings, as we have been caught a bit narrow on times this season.

We have more than enough to do the job and I hope that they underestimate us due to the injuries.

Lets be positive and get Europe back on track.ClapClap
Page the oracle
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2018 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by Rob o'r Bont Rob o'r Bont wrote:

Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

I think keeping hold of it has been more of a problem that possession per se. I appreciate they are linked in many ways, but if we win our set pieces and keep hold of the ball we should be ok.  From memory, we failed to do both well against Racing for periods of the game. 

Turnovers are so last year for us. Smile

Yes I agree with both of you ! Losing Cubby is a huge loss as he was in the current squad but the Beirne and Barclay effect was significant over last 2 seasons. Beirne was the new' glamour boy' on the park and very well deserved as well, but you also had the very clever, wise, John Barclay in the heart of the forwards team, who is a large  hole to fill. He will be a very good coach one day I reckon.

Edited by reesytheexile - 19 October 2018 at 12:23pm
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2018 at 12:26pm

A bit worried tbh. Massive underdogs here as they are packed with quality. I have no problem with Ioan starting though he has been great. They must see Asquith as an impact player in keeping the bench strong for a late run if we are still in it. I hate injuries and the loss of Barclay and Beirne.

I agree with the loss of Barclay and Beirne. I too, really like Asquith, I think that he has the most technical ability of any of our backs. He sees things before anyone else around him and has tremendous pace off the mark, to help him take advantage of his quickness of thought.
I believe that Pivac is keeping him on the bench as he is not only an impact player but a versatile player who can cover several positions across the backline.
The better players are always good in more than one position so they get shunted around. James Hook is one of those guys.
Even at his age now Ospreys who struggle to score tries but due to an injury to Sam Davies in Ospreys last game Hooky took over at FH and guess what, Ospreys scored 4 tries. When last did they ever manage that against a French team?
If James Hook had as many chances at FH as Biggar and Priestalnd have had Wales rugby (& Ospreys) would have been in a better place than it is now.
Asquith is probably the same. He'll be shunted around simply because he is so good in many positions.
Hook was a bang average test player. Pau sent a third string side to Wales last week and the Ospreys only just managed to get the bonus point

Yeah one game
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
BigRed1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigRed1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2018 at 12:39pm

Yeah one game
t is easy to say that but he was never given a long run in the FH role. He was always messed around FB, 12 & 13 and now and again at FH.
Biggar was never messed around because they knew he wasn't good enough for 12, 13 or FB & not that he was an outstanding FH. That he grew into that position was because he was given many chances to prove himself.
Anyway. it is now a dead parrot and no longer worth discussing.
This arose out a pundit above saying that better players like Asquith get shunted around. I was just agreeing with the sentiment. Hook was not alone in this. Henson was another shunted around as was Priestland. Now we have the same at the Blues with Anscombe and Jarrod.

BigRed
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2018 at 1:15pm
Let's run the Tigers ragged !!!
EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2018 at 1:32pm
James Hook is irrelevant to tonights game. Asquith is due his chance and it will come, Pivac has faith in our academy players and so do I. Nicholas has matched up against James Lowe and Henry Speight already this season and excelled.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2018 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by NobbySosban NobbySosban wrote:

I spent 4 good years in Lestooor, a lad on my course trained with the Tigers and even turned out for them a couple of times when they still wore letters of the alphabet on their backs, so I'm looking forward to returning to Welford Road this evening.

They're a proper olde English rugby club, stuffed full of middle-aged men who expect to beat their opponents through attritional forward domination every game, and especially against inferior Welshies with their la-di-da running rugby.

They stamp their feet on the wooden stands when 'Smoke on the Water' comes on the PA to intimidate the away team in the changing room below, and they direct their po-faced derision towards the ref for any decision which falls below their expectations.

They have the narrowest pitch in British rugby to contain attacking threats, and they cling proudly to their glorious history. But they're not the team or club they were, and, although they also have their backs to the wall in the European competition they used to dominate, they will fight and bay for everything tonight.

It's a great challenge for our under-strength outfit, but it's one they can rise to. Meet their forwards head on, own the set piece, make every breakdown a real contest, don't let them feed their wingers, out-sing them in the stands, and our attacking threat will take their opportunities. Tigers' 100% home European record against us there to be broken. Approve

Good post - you certainly place the game in context. I, too, am old enough to remember Leicester playing with letters rather than numbers - there were one or two other sides who did that in England, but I've forgotten who they were - Bath, Bristol or Coventry, maybe?

I'd have been fairly confident about this one but for the spate of injuries - as it is, if we give it a real lash, we could still do it... the forwards in particular have to stand up. 

As for Asquith - I agree with the idea that he's on the bench to cover a number of positions... he's very versatile.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
diego6754 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote diego6754 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2018 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by ChrisX ChrisX wrote:

one post says:-

'Looking at that Scarlets team, they are really depleted. Outside of their front row their forward pack isn't particularly strong'

I don't think the Leicester faithful realise how good Blade, Boyde and Josh are. Boyde has been brilliant the last two weeks and never lets us down, i'd have no problem seeing him in a welsh backrow. Blade is a machine and one of the standout performers in the Pro14 this season. Think about it this way....Blade has been better for us in the Pro14 than Beirne has for Munster! And Josh is potentially the most talented of our bunch of backrowers and is due a massive game and starts in his favoured position. He's also still so young but seems to of been around forever. I'm actually very excited about seeing how this trio go, its a well balanced, very fast, physical back row and then we have got Cassiem on the bench who don't forget is a South African international.

The wider rugby knowledge of your typical Leicester fan spreads about as far as......Leicester and just beyond Twickenham every Spring!
sospanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sospanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2018 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by NobbySosban NobbySosban wrote:

Enjoyed your post. Clap
Ymlaen Llanelli Scarlets
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
  Share Topic