Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Scarlets Team v Bennetton

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote theieuan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scarlets Team v Bennetton
    Posted: 15 February 2019 at 12:17pm

Scarlets team to take on Benetton at Stadio Monigo, Saturday 16th February, kick-off 17:15 (GMT):

15 Johnny McNicholl, 14 Ioan Nicholas, 13 Kieron Fonotia, 12 Paul Asquith, 11 Steff Evans, 10 Dan Jones, 9 Kieran Hardy, 1 Phil Price, 2 Marc Jones, 3 Werner Kruger, 4 Josh Helps,

5 Tom Price, 6 Josh Macleod © , 7 Dan Davis, 8 Uzair Cassiem

Replacements:

16 Dafydd Hughes, 17 Dylan Evans, 18 Simon Gardiner, 19 Lewis Rawlins, 20 Will Boyde, 21 Jon Evans, 22 Rhys Patchell, 23 Steff Hughes

Injury updates:

James Davies - Foot, Tom Phillips - Hamstring, Steve Cummins - Shoulder,

Blade Thomson - Concussion,  Angus O’Brien - Knee, Aaron Shingler - Knee,

Taylor Davies - Hamstring, Ryan Conbeer - Ankle, Ed Kennedy - Hamstring,

David Bulbring - Ankle/Knee, Corey Baldwin - Ankle, Leigh Halfpenny - Concussion

Josh Macleod will take captaincy this Saturday, after a well earned break. For the boys, they return to face Benetton, for their next Guinness PRO14 clash at Stadio Monigo, Saturday 16th of February, KO 17:15 (GMT).

Benetton, currently stand in second place in Conference B table, with Leinster still defending their top positioning. Both internationals, Rhys Patchell and Steff Evans have been released from the Welsh Six Nations camp this week. Patchell, takes place on the bench, with Evans on the left wing at number 11.

Leigh Halfpenny was not considered for the fixture against Benetton Rugby, this weekend. Although Leigh, has returned to full training, it was collectively decided that he should continue training fully with the hope he will be available for selection in the imminent future.

Reflecting on his team’s history with the opposition ahead of this weekend’s game, Scarlets head coach Wayne Pivac, said: “They’re an improved side, last year in the same window they beat us at their play. They’ve got a side now that with added few players is adding a bit of spark. A couple of good wingers on the outside giving them a bit of power out there. Also, pace; their fitness levels have improved, they’re playing a lot more rugby, using the ball a lot more and with that, they’re going to pose a big threat!”.

“They have some big men, as we found earlier this season, they were a man down and they caused us a lot of problems. They play direct at times and then move the ball around sometimes, so they’re asking a few questions to the defence. We’re gonna have to make sure we bring a lot of physicality to this game and more of what we’ve been seeing in the Six Nations.”.

Commenting on injury comebacks, Pivac, went on to say: “We’ve got a few back, which is pleasing. Lewis Rawlins is back training and managed every aspect yesterday and so he came through his injury and therefore is available for selection, which helps out Blubring, who has been ruled out since the Leinster game, giving us three fit second rows.

Will Boyde is back training with us and also Uzair Cassiem ran well yesterday. This gives us another option after Ed Kennedy picked up some trouble with his hamstring, which then gives us 3 fit loose forwards.”.

Pivac, explained his current thoughts on the PRO14 Table: “It’s exciting, we would much rather be where we were this time last year, but we’re not and that’s reality. We’ve got four teams going hard for realistically two slots and I think there’s only two points separating those four teams. Every game now is a vital one and we have to fight for every point. Whether that’s an extra try to get 5, or to come within 7 and get one. Every point is going to be vital when we wash up at the end of the season.”.

He went on to comment: “We are doing a lot of things right, we are improving as a group and we’re playing without a lot of big names and getting ourselves in positions where we can win these games. We’re not far off, we believe if we can accumulate enough points over the next 3 weeks, we can get some of the big boys back; some of the injured boys back and we’ve got a pretty good run on in the last month.”.

https://www.scarlets.wales/en/news/articles/macleod-to-captain-over-at-treviso-this-saturday/

Sponsored Links

turkishrebel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2019 at 12:38pm
no halfpenny....bit worried still about this. I know they are saying he is back in full training but wouldn't Saturday been a good run for him, even just 30mins at the end.
still solid team which I hope can do the business
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!
crj89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote crj89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2019 at 12:49pm
Does that tell us Halfpenny wasn't fit enough to be released to the Welsh camp?

Has Halfpenny put his health at risk by wanting to play against England? What does it take to be passed fit by the Scarlets medical team?
supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2019 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by turkishrebel turkishrebel wrote:

no halfpenny....bit worried still about this. I know they are saying he is back in full training but wouldn't Saturday been a good run for him, even just 30mins at the end.
still solid team which I hope can do the business

Bet he's in Team Wales next week ! Angry
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872
salmidach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salmidach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2019 at 1:02pm
My topic is showing it's true reflection now!!!!!!

Halfpenny IMO has chosen to declare himself fit to play v England but not ready to play for the Scarlets... 

This completely STINKS!!!!!
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance - Terry Pratchett
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2019 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by crj89 crj89 wrote:

Has Halfpenny put his health at risk by wanting to play against England? What does it take to be passed fit by the Scarlets medical team?
surely if there are any lingering issues, you wouldn't want him to take the field.

He has been out injured for quite some time and has JUST come back to full training. Another weeks worth of training under his belt will be good. Also, theres the possibility that he is not quite right mentally yet.

Scarlets appear very strict in these scenarios - personally, I don't mind them taking time with any form of concussion. its better than risking them back too soon and resulting in early retirement.

redeyes View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote redeyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2019 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by salmidach salmidach wrote:

Halfpenny IMO has chosen to declare himself fit to play v England but not ready to play for the Scarlets... 

Cant see that myself.
The stadium may change, but the dream will remain the same!

Mugwuffin View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Mugwuffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2019 at 1:13pm

You’ve leapt to quite a conclusion there based on a small amount of information which does not support your opinion.

A more likely reason is that Halfpenny is very rusty having not played for almost 3 months, and the team has a better chance of winning this important match without him in the team.
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2019 at 1:13pm

Erm, I think we need to be in full posession of the facts before any accusations are flying around. He might have had a setback. He might be unwell. Etc etc.
crj89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crj89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2019 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

surely if there are any lingering issues, you wouldn't want him to take the field.

He has been out injured for quite some time and has JUST come back to full training. Another weeks worth of training under his belt will be good. Also, theres the possibility that he is not quite right mentally yet.

Scarlets appear very strict in these scenarios - personally, I don't mind them taking time with any form of concussion. its better than risking them back too soon and resulting in early retirement.

I weren't doubting this to be the case, I was just wondering if a player wanted to do declare himself fit, would it be possible?

England at home in the Six Nations is a pretty big carrot.
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2019 at 2:08pm
Bit surprised but not getting over excited and certainly I am not berating the player. We have enough options at full back including not least McNicholl and indeed Dinky and  Rhys Patchell if need be  , who I am more keen to get back in harness with us personally. Leigh has a very young child and why take him all the way to Italy when he can just get on with his training.

Edited by reesytheexile - 15 February 2019 at 2:09pm
turkishrebel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2019 at 2:13pm
seriously hope leigh is just nursed back to fitness training wise with some sense. lots of rugby ahead with world cup in September too. wales will need him then in the tight games ahead.
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!
henry_winkler View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Don’t believe a word......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henry_winkler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2019 at 2:21pm

This comment would only be anywhere near justifiable if 1/2p is involved against England. We'll have to wait and see.

I don't think he was ever playing this weekend they're just trying to put positives in the press because everything seems a bit bleak at the moment with project reset.
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2019 at 2:47pm

Nonsense.
Mr Ian View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mr Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2019 at 3:05pm
Just arrived in Treviso....a good team for tomorrow and we can try to win this match..come on Scarlets!!
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2019 at 3:22pm

Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

I weren't doubting this to be the case, I was just wondering if a player wanted to do declare himself fit, would it be possible?

England at home in the Six Nations is a pretty big carrot.

As is the World Cup. Our side versus Italy showed where Gatland's priorities were.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
  Share Topic