Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sanjay to return home early ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2020 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Farrell & Itoje are on £750k per annum, Liam around £300k so he is not a marquee signing far from it. He will also be behind the Vunipola brothers by quite a few grand. As for having him back with us if fit surely its a no brainer provided we can afford him. If we are fortunate enough to qualify for the last 8 in the Champions  Challenge Cup & with a full schedule of games post 6 nations to try to get in the pro 14 play offs he will get plenty of games & he certainly won't be costing us anything like the £40k/game that Moriarty costs the Dragons. 

Corrected for you - wishful thinking?Wink
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Sponsored Links

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2020 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Farrell & Itoje are on £750k per annum, Liam around £300k so he is not a marquee signing far from it. He will also be behind the Vunipola brothers by quite a few grand. As for having him back with us if fit surely its a no brainer provided we can afford him. If we are fortunate enough to qualify for the last 8 in the Champions  Challenge Cup & with a full schedule of games post 6 nations to try to get in the pro 14 play offs he will get plenty of games & he certainly won't be costing us anything like the £40k/game that Moriarty costs the Dragons. 

Corrected for you - wishful thinking?Wink

You can but dream AberCry
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2020 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by miaow miaow wrote:

Are they not compensated by the WRU for his absence? I believe he is due back late February/early March. They would save £50-75k probably if we took him on from March say. Quite possibly they are too close for comfort to the cap. Anyway a no brainer for us if true.

Yes, but not the same extent as the England and RFU release compensation levels.
Suppose there's 2 elements to absence (injury and international call ups) and I'm not sure how they're factored into the cap, think I've read somewhere that there is dispensation in the salary cap for injuries (400k rings a bell) but not sure about international call ups, or injuries on international duty.

If the compensation from the RFU/WRU etc. was factored into the cap we'd probably have heard about it by now as Saracens would surely have been very vocal about their volume of internationals (especially the homegrown ones).
miaow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miaow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2020 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by Gate12 Gate12 wrote:

Originally posted by miaow miaow wrote:

Are they not compensated by the WRU for his absence? I believe he is due back late February/early March. They would save £50-75k probably if we took him on from March say. Quite possibly they are too close for comfort to the cap. Anyway a no brainer for us if true.

Yes, but not the same extent as the England and RFU release compensation levels.
Suppose there's 2 elements to absence (injury and international call ups) and I'm not sure how they're factored into the cap, think I've read somewhere that there is dispensation in the salary cap for injuries (400k rings a bell) but not sure about international call ups, or injuries on international duty.

If the compensation from the RFU/WRU etc. was factored into the cap we'd probably have heard about it by now as Saracens would surely have been very vocal about their volume of internationals (especially the homegrown ones).

First things first, I misread GPR's post/didn't read it fully. They won't be saving very much money - obviously they've been paying Liam's wages this year - but if he doesn't play for them at all this season, he can be discounted from their squad/from the salary cap. So...he'd save their salary cap a solid £400k+ or whatever he's on if they can offload him, if that's what they want to do. Money isn't really their problem, it's about how they're organising it - as they've been penalised for technical details, and not necessarily gross spend, I'm not sure how much there is to this story, and I'm not sure they really 'need' to get rid of him...but it's possible that things are worse than we know at Saracens.

As for compensation, there's definitely dispensation, but I'm not sure how it works cross-border to be honest. I know it's very healthy for when Wales-based Welsh players get injured, and vice versa for England-based English players, but not for an English-based Welsh player.
miaow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miaow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2020 at 9:01pm
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2020 at 8:29pm
BBC website quotes Mark McCall (Saracens coach) saying that Liam is fit for the 6 nations and also stated that there is a possibility that Liam could return to the Scarlets earlier than planned.
He spoke very highly of Liam and that he understood the reasons why Liam wanted to return home.
I’m not too sure myself about possibly helping Saracens avoid further sanctions by taking one of their high earners off their hands earlier than originally planned.
stradeyscarlet72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stradeyscarlet72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2020 at 8:35pm
it may be the case that sarries have been told to cut their squad dramatically- who knows. But if we can get Liam back ASAP then my word what a coup that would be. It would seriously enhance our chances for silverware- which at present is looking very positive .
diego6754 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote diego6754 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2020 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by Legendinmybathroom Legendinmybathroom wrote:

BBC website quotes Mark McCall (Saracens coach) saying that Liam is fit for the 6 nations and also stated that there is a possibility that Liam could return to the Scarlets earlier than planned.
He spoke very highly of Liam and that he understood the reasons why Liam wanted to return home.
I’m not too sure myself about possibly helping Saracens avoid further sanctions by taking one of their high earners off their hands earlier than originally planned.
If we get to the latter stages of Europe and the Pro14 playoffs, Sod Sarries  and the Aviva let's have another one of the best back 3 players in the world in our squad.Could be the difference between silverware and no silverware.o
haydn_davies View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haydn_davies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2020 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by diego6754 diego6754 wrote:

If we get to the latter stages of Europe and the Pro14 playoffs, Sod Sarries  and the Aviva let's have another one of the best back 3 players in the world in our squad.Could be the difference between silverware and no silverware.o
This Clap
Think, think, think - it's a thinking man's game!! - The Great Carwyn James.
cymroab View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cymroab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2020 at 10:44pm
would Sanjay be cup tied though?
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2020 at 10:48pm
  No he as not played for Sarries this season, hopefully he will be available for Edinburgh. 
lofty evans View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2020 at 6:42am
On Wales online ....Sanjay to play this season for the Scarlets. You cant make stuff up anymore....its a little bit barmy.
In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
lofty evans View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2020 at 6:45am

Good post but for me if players want to play for the Scarlets....let's bloody have them ......yesterday if it strengthens this squad. The feel good factor will continue to rise and I've loved Sanjay in Scarlet as watching him is an absolute delight, he just does the unexpected and its superb to know that unexpected element is returning to his spiritual home.
You cant beat coming home.

In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2020 at 7:23am
Originally posted by lofty evans lofty evans wrote:

On Wales online ....Sanjay to play this season for the Scarlets. You cant make stuff up anymore....its a little bit barmy.

To be fair the WoL says ‘could rejoin the Scarlets this season’ something that’s backed up by a BBC article

Williams will join Scarlets next season after three campaigns in England. When asked if the deal that will see Williams returning to Wales could be brought forward from this summer, McCall added: "It is possible. “
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2020 at 7:28am
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

To be fair the WoL says ‘could rejoin the Scarlets this season’ something that’s backed up by a BBC article

Williams will join Scarlets next season after three campaigns in England. When asked if the deal that will see Williams returning to Wales could be brought forward from this summer, McCall added: "It is possible. “
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-7861985/amp/Williams-leave-early-Saracens-exodus-salary-cap-England-stars-remain.html?__twitter_impression=true
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2020 at 8:07am
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-7861985/amp/Williams-leave-early-Saracens-exodus-salary-cap-England-stars-remain.html?__twitter_impression=true

Great news!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic