URL: http://www.scarletfever.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=45888
Printed Date: 27 September 2020 at 9:41pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Scarlets return to training
Posted By: PritchyTheScarlet
Subject: Scarlets return to training
Date Posted: 07 July 2020 at 12:52pm
The boys are back in training ahead of the Pro 14's return next month:

http://www.scarlets.wales/article/players-return-to-training-at-parc-y-scarlets/" rel="nofollow - https://www.scarlets.wales/article/players-return-to-training-at-parc-y-scarlets/

-------------
#DelaneyEra

Replies:
Posted By: supertaf
Date Posted: 07 July 2020 at 6:15pm
Great to see Sanj back home

-------------
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872

Posted By: reesytheexile
Date Posted: 07 July 2020 at 11:01pm
I shall feel a lot happier to see players like Blade Thompson ,Foxy and Cubby on the training ground and indeed Patch . Lot of long term absences there and their capacity to return worries me ( possibly Patch excepting )

-------------
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook

Posted By: gorau
Date Posted: 08 July 2020 at 11:59am
Yeah I do would like to hear the latest on Jonathan Davies, James Davies and Blade Thompson. There was a interview between Jon Davies and Brian O'Driscoll and Jon said he was recovering well in rehab. Glenn Delaney has also said he's progressing well. We might not see him for the derbies in August, but perhaps in September onwards. 

It's very quiet with regards to Blade which is worrying. James Davies, I'm sure I've read somewhere, is getting there. Perhaps these three and Rhys Patchell are all training together going through their last bits of recovery, as Glenn said players are training in small groups currently. 

Rhys was out kicking before games before lockdown so I guess he's ahead of the others in his recovery.

-------------
eds

Posted By: turkishrebel
Date Posted: 08 July 2020 at 1:12pm
lack of communications coming out of the region is quite worrying. there is stuff going out on twitter and facebook but very limited and not actually asking any queries put on them. 
are the staff back from furlough? other regions at the moment seem to be further ahead of us with communications

-------------
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!

Posted By: Ffidel Bennett
Date Posted: 08 July 2020 at 1:48pm
And what sort of shape is Samson in? He's a vital cog in our forward effort but was held back quite a bit by injury last season.

Posted By: Rich (Bris)
Date Posted: 08 July 2020 at 2:45pm
Yes great to see. WOL a few days ago said Foxy probably not ready (ready to be risked?) for the forthcoming 2 derbies. But the way they said it gave hope that he would be fully firing come the start of next season (if not the QF v Toulon) - but this was WOL so ......

Posted By: GPR - Rochester
Date Posted: 08 July 2020 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

And what sort of shape is Samson in? He's a vital cog in our forward effort but was held back quite a bit by injury last season.

Indeed Ffidel - both Samson & Rob had quiet seasons for them. Hiccups maybe from not making Japan squad. Both need to hit the ground running and make a statement especially against Toulon. 

Posted By: Fscarlet
Date Posted: 08 July 2020 at 3:22pm
Good article here on injury risks following this lay off. Cites NFL & Football as ones where injuries have stacked up...

In the NFL example, a pay dispute meant players were unable to access club facilities for 136 days, with pre-season camps subsequently cut from 14 weeks to just 17 days.

In the first 12 days in camp, 10 players ruptured Achilles tendons (a four-fold increase) and the number of injuries recorded within the first month of return was more than double the average usually seen over an entire season.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/medical-expert-issues-dire-warning-18561639" rel="nofollow - http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/medical-expert-issues-dire-warning-18561639

Posted By: ScarletBear
Date Posted: 08 July 2020 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by turkishrebel turkishrebel wrote:

lack of communications coming out of the region is quite worrying. there is stuff going out on twitter and facebook but very limited and not actually asking any queries put on them. 
are the staff back from furlough? other regions at the moment seem to be further ahead of us with communications

Try not to be worried and you'll be fine. Wink

-------------
Scarlets before Wales

Posted By: Jones2004
Date Posted: 08 July 2020 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Good article here on injury risks following this lay off. Cites NFL & Football as ones where injuries have stacked up...

In the NFL example, a pay dispute meant players were unable to access club facilities for 136 days, with pre-season camps subsequently cut from 14 weeks to just 17 days.

In the first 12 days in camp, 10 players ruptured Achilles tendons (a four-fold increase) and the number of injuries recorded within the first month of return was more than double the average usually seen over an entire season.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/medical-expert-issues-dire-warning-18561639" rel="nofollow - http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/medical-expert-issues-dire-warning-18561639

While it’s obviously a worry I do think the league are handling it well with 7 weeks build up (not sure how much of that will be contact training.) However considering that is about the same amount of time as the internationals get for a normal pre-season I don’t believe it should be a huge problem.

Posted By: turkishrebel
Date Posted: 08 July 2020 at 3:46pm
scarletbear ????

-------------
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!

Date Posted: 08 July 2020 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by gorau gorau wrote:

Yeah I do would like to hear the latest on Jonathan Davies, James Davies and Blade Thompson. There was a interview between Jon Davies and Brian O'Driscoll and Jon said he was recovering well in rehab. Glenn Delaney has also said he's progressing well. We might not see him for the derbies in August, but perhaps in September onwards. 

It's very quiet with regards to Blade which is worrying. James Davies, I'm sure I've read somewhere, is getting there. Perhaps these three and Rhys Patchell are all training together going through their last bits of recovery, as Glenn said players are training in small groups currently. 

Rhys was out kicking before games before lockdown so I guess he's ahead of the others in his recovery.

Well Foxy has already posted an IG photo of him changing in his car at the Parc so hes defintely in training of some sort. Blade may as well retire if hes still not right after all this time sadly.
How we can have players still unfit after this length of time baffles me a bit, it suggests a chronic problem that will result in retirement being brutally honest.

-------------

Posted By: Ffidel Bennett
Date Posted: 08 July 2020 at 9:10pm
If Blade's contract is not up, and the player himself doesn't want to retire, then unless the medics state that continuing to play could cause further serious damage to his health, I think all we can do is to wait for his contract to end.
Presumably if we thought he could carry on we wouldn't have signed Kalamafoni, who, unfortunately has also had concussion issues in the past.

Posted By: stradeyscarlet72
Date Posted: 08 July 2020 at 9:30pm
[QUOTE=Ffidel Bennett]If Blade's contract is not up, and the player himself doesn't want to retire, then unless the medics state that continuing to play could cause further serious damage to his health, I think all we can do is to wait for his contract to end.
Presumably if we thought he could carry on we wouldn't have signed Kalamafoni, who, unfortunately has also had concussion issues in the past
 I agree - particularly with regard to blade.  He had concussion issues in his first season and in this just gone , he’s really suffered.  I thought he was out of contract this summer. I really fear that he’s finished - I hope I’m wrong but we’ve had no positive update .

Posted By: scarletnut
Date Posted: 08 July 2020 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by stradeyscarlet72 stradeyscarlet72 wrote:

[QUOTE=Ffidel Bennett]If Blade's contract is not up, and the player himself doesn't want to retire, then unless the medics state that continuing to play could cause further serious damage to his health, I think all we can do is to wait for his contract to end.
Presumably if we thought he could carry on we wouldn't have signed Kalamafoni, who, unfortunately has also had concussion issues in the past
 I agree - particularly with regard to blade.  He had concussion issues in his first season and in this just gone , he’s really suffered.  I thought he was out of contract this summer. I really fear that he’s finished - I hope I’m wrong but we’ve had no positive update .
He’s not finished

-------------
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1

Posted By: stradeyscarlet72
Date Posted: 08 July 2020 at 10:30pm
So what’s the update ? Is he fit ?

Posted By: ScarletBear
Date Posted: 09 July 2020 at 4:57am
Originally posted by turkishrebel turkishrebel wrote:

scarletbear ????

Just messing about.

-------------
Scarlets before Wales

Posted By: diego6754
Date Posted: 09 July 2020 at 2:02pm
Just watched a Scarlets Facebook interview with Glenn where he said it was exciting that there a few players who were long term injured that are now fit to play. No names mentioned though, but there is nothing wrong with playing your cards close to your chest when long term injured frequently pick up niggles when they return to training and with derbies coming up it's always good to keep the other regions guessing. 

Date Posted: 09 July 2020 at 5:34pm

He also missed a fair chunk of his last season with the Hurricanes with concussion.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 July 2020 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

He’s not finished
Hope not but it would be nice of the club to give us some titbits about his wellbeing.

-------------

Posted By: Captain
Date Posted: 12 July 2020 at 1:59pm
Just see picture of Blade Thompson on pro 14 twitter page. Running and doing fitness. Positive news. 

Date Posted: 13 July 2020 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by Captain Captain wrote:

Just see picture of Blade Thompson on pro 14 twitter page. Running and doing fitness. Positive news. 

Good to see

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net