Forum Description: Team News, Season Tickets, Next Match
URL: https://scarletfever.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=45881
Printed Date: 28 March 2024 at 7:21pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Kalamafoni signing
Posted By: JackBornScarlet
Subject: Kalamafoni signing
Date Posted: 01 July 2020 at 10:33am
I have seen discussions around the signing of the Leicester 8,however Im failing to find anything aside from speculation. I am unable to find anything confirming the signing.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Replies:
Posted By: scarletnut
Date Posted: 01 July 2020 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by JackBornScarlet JackBornScarlet wrote:

I have seen discussions around the signing of the Leicester 8,however Im failing to find anything aside from speculation. I am unable to find anything confirming the signing.

It’s one of the worst kept secrets in Welsh rugby 

-------------
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1

Posted By: gorau
Date Posted: 01 July 2020 at 4:35pm
See the Dragons have announced Joe Maksymiw from Connacht. I think Dragons will be the ones to watch next year and Tompkins as well is headed there. 

Blues have also announced Cory Hill and Rhys Carre heading there. They'll be more competitive in the forwards next year for sure.

I hope the Scarlets announce re-signings and new signings soon. We always seem to take ages to announce things, granted I understand it's a hard time currently. 

I still think we're a few players short in a few areas. I'd like another scrum half to arrive, I think it was a mistake to allow Jon Evans to leave, another tighthead (Ben Leung as a 5th choice maybe), and a back 3 option. I think Daf Howells hasn't resigned with the Dragons yet he could be useful as a player who can cover wing and fullback, and he can also slot into 10 should we need him.

I do wish we had signed Thomas Young. He's 28 and we would have had 4/5 years from him. Kalamafoni is 32, realistically how long will we get from him - 2/3? Although as a short term and then hope McCloud, Morgan and Tuipolotu continue to develop then I can see the advantage. 

I do have a concern that a number of players are now 30 or 30+. Dragons are also keeping an eye on Will Rowlands, I do hope we are as well considering Rawlins is also now 30. 

-------------
eds

Date Posted: 01 July 2020 at 4:57pm
We do have Dane, Cawdor and Hardy at 9, so I think Jon Evans was heading to be a squad player, his opportunity to own the 9 shirt has been and gone.

In regards to Young, I think we have a backrow to be envied, especially with Cubby to return, Dan Davis, Macleod, plus a few promising youngsters who play 7 coming through, Scarlets would have been a fight for him to establish himself, whereas at Wasps he's already a first team player and well respected.

I think the future is bright at PYS we are finally looking to have quality backing up quality. If we can use this time off to get as many over their injuries and fitness issues, I'd say we have a squad that's better and more competitively complete than the league title winning squad.

Posted By: Realwest
Date Posted: 01 July 2020 at 6:32pm
Leicester have released Jordan Taufua that might well be a better signing , could we have him instead

Posted By: Mundoscarlet
Date Posted: 01 July 2020 at 7:27pm
And tualagi released too. That woukd a centre signing 😜

Posted By: Eastern outpost
Date Posted: 01 July 2020 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

It’s one of the worst kept secrets in Welsh rugby 
I’ll take your Kalamafoni and raise you Cory Hill, or Rhys Carré, unless as they’ve signed, Kalamafoni is possibly one of the few remaining secrets left in Welsh Regional Rugby. Wink

-------------
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.

Posted By: turkishrebel
Date Posted: 01 July 2020 at 7:58pm
Just wish scarlets would announce something. Very poor

-------------
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!

Date Posted: 01 July 2020 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by gorau gorau wrote:

See the Dragons have announced Joe Maksymiw from Connacht. I think Dragons will be the ones to watch next year and Tompkins as well is headed there. 

Blues have also announced Cory Hill and Rhys Carre heading there. They'll be more competitive in the forwards next year for sure.

I hope the Scarlets announce re-signings and new signings soon. We always seem to take ages to announce things, granted I understand it's a hard time currently. 

I still think we're a few players short in a few areas. I'd like another scrum half to arrive, I think it was a mistake to allow Jon Evans to leave, another tighthead (Ben Leung as a 5th choice maybe), and a back 3 option. I think Daf Howells hasn't resigned with the Dragons yet he could be useful as a player who can cover wing and fullback, and he can also slot into 10 should we need him.

I do wish we had signed Thomas Young. He's 28 and we would have had 4/5 years from him. Kalamafoni is 32, realistically how long will we get from him - 2/3? Although as a short term and then hope McCloud, Morgan and Tuipolotu continue to develop then I can see the advantage. 

I do have a concern that a number of players are now 30 or 30+. Dragons are also keeping an eye on Will Rowlands, I do hope we are as well considering Rawlins is also now 30. 
Scarlets squad is far stronger than the other regions 

-------------
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1

Date Posted: 01 July 2020 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by Realwest Realwest wrote:

Leicester have released Jordan Taufua that might well be a better signing , could we have him instead
Beziers according to reports 

-------------

Posted By: Superscarlet
Date Posted: 01 July 2020 at 11:18pm
Jon Evans wasn't given the opportunity pre COVID. Brad favouring Dane. He was unlucky with really  bad injuries but was fit this season and when he showed how good an all round 9 he was. Dane didn't do much when he came on in my opinion and Hardywhilst good if we're playing on the front foot is still developing and lacks in defence.I really do think it's the wrong decision by the Scarlets and I wish Jon all him the best. He still has plenty of quality rugby in him 

Posted By: Superscarlet
Date Posted: 01 July 2020 at 11:21pm
Meant to say when he did play this season showed how good he was 

Posted By: ScarletBear
Date Posted: 02 July 2020 at 6:32am

Originally posted by Realwest Realwest wrote:

Beziers according to reports 

Him and about 2,000 other players including Biggar and Lawes who days later re-signed with Saints. Embarrassed

-------------
Scarlets before Wales

Posted By: Fscarlet
Date Posted: 14 July 2020 at 11:08am
Confirmed on Scrum V Instagram.

Date Posted: 14 July 2020 at 11:12am
Great, I hope he finds his destructive best form and bridges a gap to Carwyn Tuipolotu

Posted By: 157cb
Date Posted: 14 July 2020 at 11:12am

Welcome to the Scarlets Sione!!!

Posted By: Wil Chips
Date Posted: 14 July 2020 at 2:33pm
Good news this.

Posted By: Mr Ian
Date Posted: 14 July 2020 at 2:35pm
good news, first natural 8 after many years...

Date Posted: 14 July 2020 at 3:02pm
johnnie williams signed as well official on scarlets twitter

-------------

Posted By: pillory
Date Posted: 14 July 2020 at 3:32pm
Siône Bach?

Posted By: Sosban bach
Date Posted: 14 July 2020 at 3:46pm
At last an 8 and who has top stats in carrying and tackling. Great signing 

Posted By: Grammar School Boy
Date Posted: 14 July 2020 at 5:15pm
Hope he has some gas left in the tank

Posted By: Wasp
Date Posted: 14 July 2020 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by Grammar School Boy Grammar School Boy wrote:

Hope he has some gas left in the tank
He’s 32, not 36
Nick Williams and Parisse are both 36. Would have taken either 4 years ago!

-------------
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh

Date Posted: 14 July 2020 at 7:30pm

Great, I hope he finds his destructive best form and bridges a gap to Carwyn Tuipolotu

Or even better, in 3 years time on a mud drenched Bath pitch, we have both of them charging at the opposition gaining a few feet at a time, a bit like Scarlets of two decades ago with Q, Madden, Easterby, John Davies et al.

-------------
Scarlets before Wales

Date Posted: 14 July 2020 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by ScarletBear ScarletBear wrote:

Or even better, in 3 years time on a mud drenched Bath pitch, we have both of them charging at the opposition gaining a few feet at a time, a bit like Scarlets of two decades ago with Q, Madden, Easterby, John Davies et al.
In 3 years time, pitches are likely to be better than they are based on developments in science and ground care. Unless the available finances post-COVID-19 lead to a downhill journey for pitch care, mud “wrestles” may well become a rare thing.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 July 2020 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

In 3 years time, pitches are likely to be better than they are based on developments in science and ground care. Unless the available finances post-COVID-19 lead to a downhill journey for pitch care, mud “wrestles” may well become a rare thing.

Just as we have 2 beast #8s - typical.

-------------
Scarlets before Wales

Posted By: tannerbankboy
Date Posted: 14 July 2020 at 8:20pm

Not in Bath it won't be, unless they move, right next to a river and always flooded.  Awful ground, all open, but always a good trip, worth a visit to see the town

Date Posted: 14 July 2020 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by tannerbankboy tannerbankboy wrote:

Not in Bath it won't be, unless they move, right next to a river and always flooded.  Awful ground, all open, but always a good trip, worth a visit to see the town

#SpaFanatic? 😉🥳

-------------

Date Posted: 15 July 2020 at 7:56am
it will not stop wet conditions unless the season changes and in wet weather you need a pack who can do the hard yards even on a quality pitch. we have lacked genuine ball carriers to get us behind teams, now we have 1 and 1 coming up through the ranks
chuffed with this signing big time. he brings physicality not just on attack but on defence too.

-------------

Posted By: GPR - Rochester
Date Posted: 15 July 2020 at 9:24am
He is a serious unit - 121 kgs which is about 20 kgs more than Uzair. He will give us an extra dimension when we are trying to bully our way over from close range - something which we have been poor at for too many years. 

Posted By: supertaf
Date Posted: 15 July 2020 at 9:40am
The social media pages are full of weird comments about us not giving youngsters chances and signing old men. You couldnt make it up

-------------
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872

Date Posted: 15 July 2020 at 10:04am
Originally posted by supertaf supertaf wrote:

The social media pages are full of weird comments about us not giving youngsters chances and signing old men. You couldnt make it uo
I know it’s embarrassing 

-------------

Posted By: stradeyscarlet72
Date Posted: 15 July 2020 at 10:37am
Welsh fans are so very fickle.  Opposing fans love to knock.  But so many of our squad are welsh so I’m not worried at his presence. He’ll be a massive addition hopefully.

Posted By: RR1972
Date Posted: 15 July 2020 at 10:59am
Originally posted by stradeyscarlet72 stradeyscarlet72 wrote:

Welsh fans are so very fickle.  Opposing fans love to knock.  But so many of our squad are welsh so I’m not worried at his presence. He’ll be a massive addition hopefully.

genuine q why people care what opposition fans say?

they are always going to put a negative slant on any players we sign , don't worry about it

Posted By: Mr Ian
Date Posted: 15 July 2020 at 11:18am
Honestly it s a no sense polemic, I can understand a general critic about last cases, but in this specific role I dont see an young talent who Kalamafoni is closing the street. If I could say something is why dont sign a pure 8 in all these years, but the story can teach us that we won in the last years with Barclay in the role where he did a magnificient work.
My opinion about the club politic and my point of view, when I started to follow the team, we were in a middle tab position and have our golden age of youngsters in team, with the years our blasone increasing and our aspectative are higher and higher and for satisfy it not ever young boys can help the cauese, cause of in academy system every year is different from the other...If I have to say my opinion, in these years I cant see the new Foxy, or Liam, or George etc...of course we have excellent boys in other roles, but for who want to compete for the starting shirt in the backs, the competion is really high..
In this signing campaign, I m appreciating the signing, young players who have to demostrate to value di international standard, Williams and Morgan have to do this, and honestly I like this risk then to have a player like Fonotia, an affidable player ma nothing more...
Kalamafoni can be a good example and experienced player for the other forwards, think about Ratuva, a possible new n. 8 or Tupilotu, our predestinate...

Date Posted: 15 July 2020 at 2:56pm
some back row next year. kalamafoni at 8 with uzair/aaron or blade at 6!with 1st 2 also covering 8 josh/cubby/dan/jac at 7
dont think we have seen the best of blade yet, i really hope he is fit as he is an exceptional player. boy we could do some damage if we dont get injuries

-------------

Posted By: supertaf
Date Posted: 15 July 2020 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

they are always going to put a negative slant on any players we sign , don't worry about it
Sadly many are our own fans though.

-------------
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872

Posted By: PE SA
Date Posted: 15 July 2020 at 3:12pm
The depth of the back row is now insane. Who do we pick! I'd say we have 2 completely different back row which is good enough on paper to take the field as first choice. 

6. Shingler 7. Cubby 8. Cassiem
6. Thomson 7. Macleod 8. Kalamafoni

On top of those then the young gun back row of:
6. Jac Morgan
7. Dan Davis
8. Carwyn Tuipolotu 
Looks full of promise. 

Then players like Ed Kennedy, Lewis Rawlins, Tom Phillips, Harry Breeze, Iestyn Rees, Jo Miles.

But for the first 2 options I can't ever remembering having such high quality depth as that. 

Date Posted: 15 July 2020 at 3:25pm
Huge competition for a place in our starting 23. For me for the Toulon quarter my choice if all fit would be 6 Shingler 7, Cubby 8. Sione with Blade, McLoud or Uzair on the bench with all 3 capable of covering 6/7 & 8. That is one hell of a squad. The young gun back row above is going to do some real damage in years to come not forgetting, of course, that Josh is what - 23?

Posted By: PE SA
Date Posted: 15 July 2020 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Huge competition for a place in our starting 23. For me for the Toulon quarter my choice if all fit would be 6 Shingler 7, Cubby 8. Sione with Blade, McLoud or Uzair on the bench with all 3 capable of covering 6/7 & 8. That is one hell of a squad. The young gun back row above is going to do some real damage in years to come not forgetting, of course, that Josh is what - 23?
I had a chat with someone about Macleod the other day and I didn't realise how young he was until then. 23 and already smashed up 80 appearances for the scarlets. So young but hugely experienced already. 

Date Posted: 15 July 2020 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

I had a chat with someone about Macleod the other day and I didn't realise how young he was until then. 23 and already smashed up 80 appearances for the scarlets. So young but hugely experienced already. 

Yes I was surpised at how young he was. Still think he may well become our long term NO 8. At 110 kgs he is Faletau size and he is very quick. One of my favourite players at PYS. 

Date Posted: 15 July 2020 at 4:03pm

Most of them are ignorant people who don’t support the four pro sides and would rather Welsh rugby go back to the awful club system 

-------------

Date Posted: 16 July 2020 at 12:48am

Most of them are ignorant people who don’t support the four pro sides and would rather Welsh rugby go back to the awful club system 

It wasn't awful, it was wonderful! Just not suited to the pro game.

-------------
Scarlets before Wales

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net