Forum Description: Team News, Season Tickets, Next Match
URL: https://scarletfever.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=45863
Printed Date: 28 March 2024 at 9:56am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Llanelli rfc v Australia
Posted By: swm
Subject: Llanelli rfc v Australia
Date Posted: 07 June 2020 at 9:14am
Next Sat 6.15 on s4c there showing the re run llanelli rfc v World champions Australia game  StarStarStar

-------------
steve and ang

Replies:
Posted By: ChrisX
Date Posted: 07 June 2020 at 11:20am
Who beat the Walla, Wallabies...

Great Game, Great Day!

Posted By: stradeyscarlet72
Date Posted: 07 June 2020 at 11:22am
Great game and wonderful occasion.   I do hope that they also re show our wins v Australia in 84 and Fiji in 85 .

Posted By: RR1972
Date Posted: 07 June 2020 at 12:29pm
The fiji one is one my 3 fave games ever. What a come back

Date Posted: 07 June 2020 at 1:41pm
Recently got the match tie and found my programme.  Epic game.  A must for re showing on tv .

Posted By: roy munster
Date Posted: 07 June 2020 at 3:03pm
scarlets greatest ever win imo
We were always guaranteed to win, because I was doing the scoreboard lol

-------------
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)

Posted By: LLANDRE
Date Posted: 07 June 2020 at 3:53pm
The day Steve Rider made a howler about the scoreboard Roy!!!

-------------
West is Best (Fin gwybod)

Date Posted: 07 June 2020 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by LLANDRE LLANDRE wrote:

The day Steve Rider made a howler about the scoreboard Roy!!!

lol LOLLOLLOL oh aye Id forgotten about that , yes it is spelt awstralia steve, you cheeky beggar Wink

-------------

Posted By: ScarletBear
Date Posted: 08 June 2020 at 12:38am
I bumped into him going through the x-ray machine with our bags at one of the London airports some time later and couldn't help but bring it up with him. In a polite manner of course. And he was humble and accepting of his mistake, while laughing about it. He was much shorter and dumpier than I was expecting.

-------------
Scarlets before Wales

Date Posted: 08 June 2020 at 1:10am
Originally posted by ScarletBear ScarletBear wrote:

I bumped into him going through the x-ray machine with our bags at one of the London airports some time later and couldn't help but bring it up with him. In a polite manner of course. And he was humble and accepting of his mistake, while laughing about it. He was much shorter and dumpier than I was expecting.

lol cracking yarn scarlet bear ...I hope you told him in welsh lolLOL...gobeithio ichi ddweud wrtho yn Gymraeg....Thumbs Up

-------------

Posted By: SA14
Date Posted: 10 June 2020 at 10:01am
Great try but wasn’t it crossing?

Date Posted: 10 June 2020 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

Great try but wasn’t it crossing?

100% not crossing, simon davies moved sideways and didnt take out any tacklers as ieuan flew through under the posts, brilliant move that was ironically pretty much invented by the wallabies lol the chest bump with moon on the other hand needs to be outlawedLOL

-------------

Posted By: Legendinmybathroom
Date Posted: 10 June 2020 at 8:04pm
Great game, an electric atmosphere and what a team we had back then.  If there was a european cup competition back in those days we would have walked it. The european cup came 5 years too late for this team, who were broken up over the next 2 to 3 seasons by retirements, rugby league and chequebook Charlie’s were wanted to buy success.
I think that under today’s rules and scrutiny by TMOs there would be a chance that the try would have been disallowed, but it was beautifully crafted and finished.

Posted By: scarletabroad
Date Posted: 11 June 2020 at 12:54pm
I was home on leave my dad queued for tickets for me great day nice weather to as I recall?

Date Posted: 11 June 2020 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by Legendinmybathroom Legendinmybathroom wrote:

Great game, an electric atmosphere and what a team we had back then.  If there was a european cup competition back in those days we would have walked it. The european cup came 5 years too late for this team, who were broken up over the next 2 to 3 seasons by retirements, rugby league and chequebook Charlie’s were wanted to buy success.
I think that under today’s rules and scrutiny by TMOs there would be a chance that the try would have been disallowed, but it was beautifully crafted and finished.
did we lose any one to lge from that side? Cardiff seemed to do the majority of the poaching if my memory serves me right, that treble side was superb played great rugby to.

Date Posted: 11 June 2020 at 3:13pm
Off the top of my head, only Quinnell went to league.  Tarw went to Cardiff , along with spencer John , Justin Thomas , Matthew wintle.  Huw harries went and so did lyn Jones .

Posted By: Legendinmybathroom
Date Posted: 11 June 2020 at 5:40pm
Yes, just quinnell to league but that was just a few months after leaving Tarw go to the blues, that meant that we arguably lost to 2 standout back rowers in Welsh if not British rugby at that time, something we never recovered from fully.
Pegs walked away again and the above mentioned players also moved on.
Any team would struggle after losing player players of that ilk in quick succession, that back row combination would give any back row in Europe a run for their money, even today.

Posted By: 157cb
Date Posted: 11 June 2020 at 5:43pm
  What was ironic Tarw left as he wanted to play number 8, but Scott was keeping him out. Shortly after the Mighty Q left for Rugby League.. 

Date Posted: 11 June 2020 at 6:27pm
Lyn jones and pegs our flankers vs oz? Lyn makes a great tackle early doors

Posted By: supertaf
Date Posted: 12 June 2020 at 9:32am
Incredible season all round. I remember being at Rodney Parade when we put 70+ points on them. Me and my mate were just laughing after a while as it was just ridiculous what was unfolding.

-------------
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872

Posted By: Dic Penderyn
Date Posted: 12 June 2020 at 11:51am
Originally posted by 157cb 157cb wrote:

What was ironic Tarw left as he wanted to play number 8, but Scott was keeping him out. Shortly after the Mighty Q left for Rugby League.. 
I remember listening to Radio Wales on the way to Cardiff to watch the game in which Ieuan got that terrible injury.Tarw was very bitter in the interview.

Date Posted: 12 June 2020 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by Dic Penderyn Dic Penderyn wrote:

I remember listening to Radio Wales on the way to Cardiff to watch the game in which Ieuan got that terrible injury.Tarw was very bitter in the interview.

Tarw was also world class at 6 or 8

Yeah I was in arms park that day of Ieuans injury, crikey the whole stadium was deathly quiet for an age
To think only a year or 2 later, the great man was back in the Lions shirt, 24 carrot legend.Thumbs Up

-------------

Posted By: Dic Penderyn
Date Posted: 12 June 2020 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

Originally posted by Dic Penderyn Dic Penderyn wrote:

Tarw was also world class at 6 or 8

Yeah I was in arms park that day of Ieuans injury, crikey the whole stadium was deathly quiet for an age
To think only a year or 2 later, the great man was back in the Lions shirt, 24 carrot legend.Thumbs Up

Yes-world class,both of them.

Posted By: LLANDRE
Date Posted: 13 June 2020 at 6:15pm
Programme about to start now

-------------
West is Best (Fin gwybod)

Posted By: ladram
Date Posted: 13 June 2020 at 6:54pm
what a tonic this is,had a bet on us to win and stayed in town to soak up atmosphere,taxi home and for some reason I stopped in a pub I didn't normally stop in and then needed another taxi to my local,great memories.

Posted By: Ffidel Bennett
Date Posted: 13 June 2020 at 9:32pm
A great victory based mainly on tenacity and character. But the game has changed so much and I wonder how many of that starting Llanelli team would get into this season's much less successful Scarlets best XV. If I was being provocative I would say only Ieuan Evans would be an automatic choice. The S4C commentary from Huw Llywelyn Davies, Grav, and with occasional comments from Delme was excellent.

Posted By: Mogwen
Date Posted: 13 June 2020 at 9:40pm
Nigel at 12, ieuan at 14, perego at 6 or 7, copsey at 5, tarw at 8 moon at 9.

15 halfpenny
14 ieuan
13 foxy
12 nigel
11 Liam
10 patch
9 moon
1 wyn
2 ken
3 samson
4 ball
5 copsey
6 perego
7 cubby
8 tarw

-------------
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Posted By: reesytheexile
Date Posted: 13 June 2020 at 9:49pm
Roebucks kicking was very poor all over the place. Gave us a big platform. Colin Stephens played the game of his life. He is a tad bulkier now mind ! 

I loved the “ old days “ and I was there in 1972 , but when I look back at those low scores and the poor pitches and the wet heavy balls and untidy line outs ( loved the old scrums mind) , I am glad we are now in 2020. The guys are strong and fit and so skilled. Nice to reminisce but the modern game is so much better to watch I have to concede. 

Date Posted: 13 June 2020 at 11:06pm
Pegs tarw  sq phil davies would be in so would ieuan and nigel Tbh lyn is a better 7 than Anything we have now to 

Date Posted: 13 June 2020 at 11:10pm
Originally posted by Mogwen Mogwen wrote:

Nigel at 12, ieuan at 14, perego at 6 or 7, copsey at 5, tarw at 8 moon at 9.

15 halfpenny
14 ieuan
13 foxy
12 nigel
11 Liam
10 patch
9 moon
1 wyn
2 ken
3 samson
4 ball
5 copsey
6 perego
7 cubby
8 tarw

lyn jones would push cubby, dont forget quinnell was also available, youd also have to consider ricky evans and lamerton 
(btw I liked the the bit where delaney then lamerton runs back from a position so offside hes standing where marty roebuck should have been and he gets penalised ..followed by the exaggerated reaction of absolute, shock, horror and disgust from the grandstand, at this awful decision was classic stradey) LOL

-------------

Posted By: ScarletBear
Date Posted: 14 June 2020 at 2:52am
Originally posted by supertaf supertaf wrote:

Incredible season all round. I remember being at Rodney Parade when we put 70+ points on them. Me and my mate were just laughing after a while as it was just ridiculous what was unfolding.

Newport: J Westwood; S McCracken, R Bidgood, K Orrell, A Lewis; M Yendle, K Lee; M Davies, A Peacock, M Thomas (S Duggan, 78 min), A Allen (D Waters, 45 min), M Arthur, A Carter (G Pugh, 56 min), K Withey, G George (capt).

Llanelli: I Jones; I Evans (H Williams, 65 min), N Davies, N Boobyer, W Proctor; C Stephens, R Moon (capt); R Evans, A Lamerton, D Joseph, P Davies, T Copsey, M Perego, E Lewis, L Jones.

Scores: Stephens (pen, 5 min) 0-3; I Evans/ Stephens (try/con, 8 min) 0-10; Moon/Stephens (try/con, 25 min) 0-17; Stephens (pen, 30 min) 0-20; Stephens (try/con, 32 min) 0-27; I Evans (try, 34 min) 0-32; L Jones/Stephens (try/con, 38 min) 0-39; A Lewis (try, 41 min), 5-39; I Evans/Stephens (try/con, 47 min) 5-46; Stephens (try/con, 50 min) 5-53; Proctor/Stephens (try/con, 60 min) 5-60; Bidgood (try, 73 min) 10-60; Stephens (try/con, 75 min) 10-67; Stephens (pen try/con, 83 min) 10-74; Joseph (try, 84 min) 10-79.

Referee: G Simmonds (WRU).

-------------
Scarlets before Wales

Posted By: ladram
Date Posted: 14 June 2020 at 6:55am
I think we could have tried more drop goals LOL

Posted By: Mogwen
Date Posted: 14 June 2020 at 8:45am
I thought tarw was 8 for that game. Thats why scott q wasnt in my team. Otherwise he would have been 8.

-------------
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Date Posted: 14 June 2020 at 10:35am
That was probably tarws best game and kept willie o quiet.  Colin had one drop goal bounce off one of the uprights.  

Posted By: insidehalf
Date Posted: 15 June 2020 at 9:34am
Didn't show Simon Davies's big hit on Marty Roebuck (or did I miss it, sure it was in first half) hit him into next week, fair play to Roebuck he kept going, not sure if that tackle put his kicking off.

Date Posted: 18 June 2020 at 11:56am
Ok Im going loopy in lockdown so Ive scribbled a little poem for my experiences that famous day

Its called "chest bump"LOL

Chest bump

Back to stradey we did return, world cup wallabies in town
Just a year before we cheered, as they beat England for the crown
They may have won at Twickers, but stradey was sacred ground

A full strength aussie team.. eales ,Willie o ,roebuck, little and horan 
Jam packed with stars it was, but missing just one man
Campo had pulled a muscle 
on the bus ride through penyfan 

He had graced stradey a time before, scoring against Argentina
But he didn't fancy this time around, he was scared of scarlet fever

I'd met up with Steve the bookie,  a naive Englishman 
Gave me a ieuan win double
Twenty quid at twelve to one

He knew nothing about rugby ,Which was such a shame
Collected my winnings at the Legion , straight after the game

Steve rider criticised my scoreboard live on grandstand
But there is a w in Awstralia , this is Wales not england

Grav benny and Gareth inspired players with impassioned eulogies
scarlets tackled every wallaby , perego was chopping trees 

So ieuan did an ella and flew under the sospan posts
Chest bumped rupert mooney, We were most delirious hosts.

So all the little babies in Llanelli from now on.. will still be christened Roy,carwyn,  Derek,  Phil, delme and John. 
But others may be named Colin, nigel. simon, emyr, Mark,  Lyn , ieuan, Lawrence and rupert Henry st John

They partied from furnace to the stepney in the clubs they did rejoice
The songs seemed so familiar, just sung with a hoarser voice
So off we all went in merriment, the town drunk again in llanellis glory
Yet another rich chapter in the scarlets winning story

The industries had abated now, but the community still strong
We'd cleaned our beaches, built retail parks, but kept foel brewery going all along
And if we do get old and tell more stories from the rocking chair
Then we can tell whoever will listen, that the whole town was there
Lucky we had our cameras, to prove the greatest story they have heard
when little old llanelli beat the champions of the worldThumbs Up

-------------

Posted By: ewbank2
Date Posted: 18 June 2020 at 12:15pm
ClapClapClap

-------------
Scarlets am Byth

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net