Forum Description: Team News, Season Tickets, Next Match
URL: https://scarletfever.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=45843
Printed Date: 28 March 2024 at 8:51am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Coaches and players leaving
Posted By: Feverpitch
Subject: Coaches and players leaving
Date Posted: 13 May 2020 at 4:32pm
https://www.scarlets.wales/article/scarlets-confirm-summer-departures/%20" rel="nofollow - https://www.scarlets.wales/article/scarlets-confirm-summer-departures/

Replies:
Posted By: Jones2004
Date Posted: 13 May 2020 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by Feverpitch Feverpitch wrote:

https://www.scarlets.wales/article/scarlets-confirm-summer-departures/%20" rel="nofollow - https://www.scarlets.wales/article/scarlets-confirm-summer-departures/
Who’s replacing Ioam Cunningham?

Posted By: gorau
Date Posted: 13 May 2020 at 4:35pm
I for one am gutted to see Jon Evans leave. He's been brilliant for us, I would have wanted to keep him.
Also I would have wanted to keep Simon Gardiner and Rhys Fawcett, Gardiner is a useful 3r/4th choice and Fawcett has never been given a proper chance. When I have seem him play he's shown up well, he can do with more development but I always thought he'd come good.

-------------
eds

Posted By: AB2008
Date Posted: 13 May 2020 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by Jones2004 Jones2004 wrote:

Originally posted by Feverpitch Feverpitch wrote:

Who’s replacing Ioam Cunningham?

I'd be very surprised if it wasn't one of Rich Kelly or Emyr Phillips.

Date Posted: 13 May 2020 at 4:41pm
I can see Richard Kelly coming in as forwards coach. We need a defence coach also

-------------
eds

Date Posted: 13 May 2020 at 4:46pm
Ryan Lamb was announced as another who left us last month after his short contract.

-------------
eds

Posted By: Mr Ian
Date Posted: 13 May 2020 at 5:18pm
Some important news, gutted for Evans and Cunningham. On Parkes I had understand his will...so many good luck to all...we can say our ciclo is definitely closed and now expect other news in this doubtifull general scenario 

Posted By: Mugwuffin
Date Posted: 13 May 2020 at 5:29pm
Ioan Cunningham has done a good job. Perhaps it’s time for the pack to hear a new voice though after several years under him. Hopefully he’ll continue to develop as a coach elsewhere and might return to us one day with new ideas and a fresh approach. 

It’s a real shame that we’ve only had Mooar for one aborted season. I’m sure there was a lot more the group could’ve learned from him if things had turned out differently. 

I’m sad to see Parkes go as he’s been a big player for us for a number of years. This is the right move for him though, and at 32 we’ve probably had all his best years. Hopefully we’ll be able to give him the ovation he deserves at a match some time in the future. 

Letting Fonotia go is probably the right decision. He’s given his all every time he wore the jersey, but injuries have severely hampered him. Given his age, injury record, and NWQ status we need to bring someone in who’ll be better value for money. 

Jon Evans has been a very solid 3rd choice 9 so I’m a bit surprised to see us let him go. Have we got an academy youngster who’ll be ready to step up and take his squad place next season? 

Posted By: Eastern outpost
Date Posted: 13 May 2020 at 6:26pm
Add me to the list sad to see Jon Evans leave.

-------------
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.

Posted By: Legendinmybathroom
Date Posted: 13 May 2020 at 7:46pm
Me too, I believe that he is the most complete scrum half we have in the squad.

Posted By: thommo
Date Posted: 13 May 2020 at 8:02pm
Here, here. Always rated Johnny Evs. Big thanks to Hadleigh been a hell of a servant to the Scarlets. No complaints right move for him at his age. 

Date Posted: 13 May 2020 at 8:29pm
Yes, Hadleigh has given his all for the Scarlets and more recently for Wales, he deserves his big money move, whilst he his stiles physically up to it.  
Thank you Hadleigh and good luck in the next adventure.

Posted By: reesytheexile
Date Posted: 13 May 2020 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

Add me to the list sad to see Jon Evans leave.

I was surprised. Jon seemed to be injured at wrong times as well which set him back, but he was a well rounded player -great shame for Jonny

Posted By: swissscarlets
Date Posted: 13 May 2020 at 8:44pm
Gutted to see Ioan go pob lwc. Hadleigh has been outstanding for us and Good luck as it is only a short career so have to get the money while it is there.

Jonny Evans as never let us down but has been unlucky with injuries which have hampered him.

Best wishes to all departures and thank you for your efforts for the Scarlets.

-------------
west is best.

Posted By: haydn_davies
Date Posted: 13 May 2020 at 9:19pm
Add me as another in the Jonny Evs fan club!!

Quality players and staff leaving which leaves a void which must be filled.

Some good news on re-signings and/or new signing would be most welcome to soften the blow of losing these players and staff.

-------------
Think, think, think - it's a thinking man's game!! - The Great Carwyn James.

Posted By: Huwbach
Date Posted: 13 May 2020 at 9:55pm
Jon has been an amazing player can’t fault him but you can’t moan at Cawdor, Kiz And Dane. 

Good luck to everyone else all good servants. So sad we are losing Brad.

Posted By: EJPT
Date Posted: 14 May 2020 at 12:04am
Sad we’ll never see Hadleigh line up in a scarlet jersey along side Jonathan Davies again. That 12 jersey is up for grabs and we’ll hopefully see who wants it most! 

Jon Evans was a good player. Injured and out of favour with the current management. Feel bad for him as I feel fully fit he is/ was better than Aled Davies is/was.  I hope he gets a contract somewhere else that needs a decent 9. 

Posted By: roy munster
Date Posted: 14 May 2020 at 12:23am
wrong move by parkes but good luck to him

-------------
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)

Posted By: Wil Chips
Date Posted: 14 May 2020 at 7:16am
3 coaches in 3 seasons will always throw up variations in a players perceived value, and in turn game time.

Jon Evs falls firmly in to that box, as does the likes of Ioan Nicholas.

Wish all the departing players all the best. Can't imagine Jon not being picked up in the pro game somewhere, probably Fonotia too.

Posted By: haydn_davies
Date Posted: 14 May 2020 at 7:36am
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

3 coaches in 3 seasons will always throw up variations in a players perceived value, and in turn game time.

Wish all the departing players all the best. Can't imagine Jon not being picked up in the pro game somewhere, probably Fonotia too.

He would be a great addition to either the Ospreys or Blues.
Only issue with those two is he might be playing second fiddle behind Webb and Williams.
Although with Aled leaving Ospreys it does open up an opportunity and also a need for them to sign a 9. He was at Bath during the time Booth was there too, so it may indicate something - or nothing!! LOL

-------------
Think, think, think - it's a thinking man's game!! - The Great Carwyn James.

Posted By: crj89
Date Posted: 14 May 2020 at 9:16am
From the little I’ve seen of the Quins, the televised matches that is, they look to be well organised up front so could be a master stroke.

Maybe we’ll see more of Jevan too.

Posted By: RR1972
Date Posted: 14 May 2020 at 9:53am

Evans seems a logical fit for the ospreys especially if aled is off

Date Posted: 14 May 2020 at 10:24am
Ospreys have 4 scrum halves. I can see Jon Evans off to a club in England. We should have kept hold of him, with Cawdor likely to be away with Wales most of next season we need a strong group of 3 scrum halves to rotate who are with us all year

-------------
eds

Date Posted: 14 May 2020 at 10:27am
Are we to expect more to leave? What's the situation with Blade? 

-------------
eds

Posted By: stradeyscarlet72
Date Posted: 14 May 2020 at 10:29am
I too am a big fan of Jonathan evans but he’s been ravaged by injuries - that’ll probably have taken their toll on him . Been excellent and wish him well though Won’t be surprised if he calls it a day 

Posted By: GPR - Rochester
Date Posted: 14 May 2020 at 10:34am
Ospreys have some very promising 9's coming through so doubt he will move there. Possibly Dragons could be a good fit. Appears that Delaney has identified the weaknesses in our game - ball carrying bulk - Kilimafoni, lack of a pack by which I mean we have a series of very good individuals but as Rob Baxter has proved a well drilled pack equates to more than the sum of the individuals. 

Many of us have been decrying this fact for some time so Ioan may have paid the price. Richard Kelly has made a big name for himself in the Premiership and under 20's. 

Posted By: 157cb
Date Posted: 14 May 2020 at 10:42am
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Evans seems a logical fit for the ospreys especially if aled is off

The Ospreys have Webb, the Saffer and two very good young 9s .

Posted By: Havard Fan
Date Posted: 14 May 2020 at 10:44am
Majority of the players are understandable, but I also would have liked Johnny Evans to stay. Good luck to them all.

Definitely need to invest in coaching staff. Looking at it, we have Delaney head coach and both Whiffin and Flanigan doing backs / skills. Two inexperienced and young coaches.

Not sure how long Mcbryde is locked in to Leinster, but having him back would be a boost as a forwards coach. We could then take a punt on a younger defence coach (Barclay player / coach)

Unlikely to be Mcbryde though, so we will need some experience to back up Delaney. If the rumours are true that Kelly is coming in as a forwards coach, then an experienced defence coach would be required. Last thing Delaney wants is to be developing coaches on his own, as well as managing the team.

Date Posted: 14 May 2020 at 10:44am
Originally posted by crj89 crj89 wrote:

From the little I’ve seen of the Quins, the televised matches that is, they look to be well organised up front so could be a master stroke.

Maybe we’ll see more of Jevan too.

Even Scott, who is aware that there are forwards on the pitch and they have a modest purpose for being there, but not much more than that, calls out Kelly as a top notch coach, and an o/s lineout operator.

Date Posted: 14 May 2020 at 10:45am
tbh that saffer is dreadful and webb will be with wales a lot

I can them terminating the saffer's   contract   and going for evans, well wait and see

maybe your right the dragons is an option, who is the back up to Rhodri I can't remember tbh

we must have someone coming in if we are letting evans go I would guess

Date Posted: 14 May 2020 at 10:54am
Ospreys have Matthew Aubrey, Harri Morgan and Ruben Morgan Williams along with Shaun Venter, their South African scrum half. As for the Dragons they have Rhodri Williams, Tavis Knoyle, Dan Babos with Dafydd Buckland, the Wales under 20s scrum half also there. However Wales Online reported that Buckland was looking for more game time elsewhere. I can see Jon Evans playing in the Championship next year. Aled Davies is leaving the Ospreys by all accounts to head to Saracens next year. 

-------------
eds

Posted By: Ffidel Bennett
Date Posted: 14 May 2020 at 10:58am
I think not retaining Jonathon Evans is a mistake. At times last year he seemed our best option at getting the backs moving, and there seemed very little wrong with his game. Cawdor will probably be with Wales for a large part of the season, and, although an excellent individual attacker I'm not sure his distribution was always sharp enough to create the best opportunities for those outside him. Hardy's performance also faded as the season wore on and Dane has had very little experience at this level and will take time to develop physically to a level where he can survive at regional level. Hopefully the coaches have a replacement in line for Jonathon, or we are just a couple of injuries away from a desperation signing/loan.
All the best to all those leaving, particularly Ioan who was from the region and gave everything to the Scarlets. Pob Lwc.

Date Posted: 14 May 2020 at 11:15am
I can only assume that there's an inbound scrum half.

Posted By: scarletnut
Date Posted: 14 May 2020 at 11:26am
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

How on earth can you say that’s the wrong move? He’ll be 33 next season and he’s just been offered a mega money deal in Japan to finish his career.

-------------
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1

Date Posted: 14 May 2020 at 11:52am
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

How on earth can you say that’s the wrong move? He’ll be 33 next season and he’s just been offered a mega money deal in Japan to finish his career.

Maybe roy would rather still have a good wage in the uk, still play for wales and have a shot at a lions tour at the end of the year?

parkes deal is better financially but rugby wise?

Date Posted: 14 May 2020 at 11:57am

Maybe roy would rather still have a good wage in the uk, still play for wales and have a shot at a lions tour at the end of the year?

It’s not up to Roy, you or anyone else to say whether Parkes has made the wrong decision. It’s not all about international rugby. The move also brings him and his wife closer to family in NZ plus his body has taken a hiding over the past 18 months.

-------------
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1

Date Posted: 14 May 2020 at 12:12pm

It’s not up to Roy, you or anyone else to say whether Parkes has made the wrong decision. It’s not all about international rugby. The move also brings him and his wife closer to family in NZ plus his body has taken a hiding over the past 18 months.

It;s up to roy to give his views on it, it's called freedom of speech as a journo you should know that better than the rest of us ;)

Roy can have his say so can you so can all of us

At the end of the day the decision is parkes and that's fine  that is his right we all respect that

But we are entitled to make a comment on that decision and that is our right

As I said money wise it's the right call , rugby wise it's a huge step down and he is giving up his test career

With a regional contract and wales appearance fees he'd still be on a pretty penny even more so if he made the lions tour

I don't begrudge anyone earning what they can , so I don't really care either way

Maybe PIvac had given him the tip off he wouldn't be in the welsh team next year

Honest answer do you think he would be in wales test team next year if foxy is back fit??

Date Posted: 14 May 2020 at 12:18pm
We don’t know too what the long term prognosis for foxy is either .  .  Hope hadleigh has a great one in Japan - as he deserves a good payout .  He’s made it easier for us as we were risking having a dads army centre unit !  

Posted By: reesytheexile
Date Posted: 14 May 2020 at 12:32pm
I am sure HP will enjoy the cultural and general experience in Japan. He’s a bright guy and will make the most of the opportunity.As mentioned it’s also closer to family in New Zealand. The salary is good as well to set his young family’s future. I wish h well    

Posted By: PE SA
Date Posted: 14 May 2020 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Ospreys have some very promising 9's coming through so doubt he will move there. Possibly Dragons could be a good fit. Appears that Delaney has identified the weaknesses in our game - ball carrying bulk - Kilimafoni, lack of a pack by which I mean we have a series of very good individuals but as Rob Baxter has proved a well drilled pack equates to more than the sum of the individuals. 

Many of us have been decrying this fact for some time so Ioan may have paid the price. Richard Kelly has made a big name for himself in the Premiership and under 20's. 
agree. All for giving Kelly a shot. He got quins pack very well drilled and working as a pack. Something we haven't had for a number of years despite having on paper the strongest pack potentially we have ever had. 
I do hope we get in a strong assistant to delaney though. If not a forwards coach, a defence coach.

Posted By: Rob o'r Bont
Date Posted: 14 May 2020 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

I am sure HP will enjoy the cultural and general experience in Japan. He’s a bright guy and will make the most of the opportunity.As mentioned it’s also closer to family in New Zealand. The salary is good as well to set his young family’s future. I wish h well    
Yes indeed, good luck to Hadleigh and all the other leavers.

Big shame we can't see them off properly this year - the end of season farwell in the last game is quite an important part of our season I always think.  Here's a thought - could the club set up some sort of Zoom send off for them? Probably Zoom couldn't accomodate that many fans wishing to participate.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 May 2020 at 1:55pm

It;s up to roy to give his views on it, it's called freedom of speech as a journo you should know that better than the rest of us ;)

Roy can have his say so can you so can all of us

At the end of the day the decision is parkes and that's fine  that is his right we all respect that

But we are entitled to make a comment on that decision and that is our right

As I said money wise it's the right call , rugby wise it's a huge step down and he is giving up his test career

With a regional contract and wales appearance fees he'd still be on a pretty penny even more so if he made the lions tour

I don't begrudge anyone earning what they can , so I don't really care either way

Maybe PIvac had given him the tip off he wouldn't be in the welsh team next year

Honest answer do you think he would be in wales test team next year if foxy is back fit??

Good luck to Hadleigh & his family. No brainer really multlple year contract as opposed to one year deal on offer from Scarlets. Probably more money as well, young family a lot closer to home/grandparents, new exciting culture. As for Lions he is an honest and clever guy - never in a million years. 

Date Posted: 14 May 2020 at 4:45pm
While it is certainly closer than her to nz,   nz to japan is some 12 hrs flight time.

It's not like he can pop home on a weekend or after playing in the evening or he can drop the grandkids there so he and the wife can have a night out

To put that into perspective You can  get from the UK  to New york quicker than you can get from Tokyo to Auckland

I get the longer contract and more money but the closer to home argument doesn't really cut much ice  tbh it's still miles and miles away

Date Posted: 14 May 2020 at 5:16pm
I wish Hadleigh well, he's given his all for the Scarlets and then for Wales. He's been one of the top players for Wales over the past few seasons and one of the Scarlets' best players as well. He's been superb. 

Over the past few years his body has taking a battering, let's not forget he played a whole World Cup bar one game with a broken hand. His dedication, commitment, leadership and determination has been superb for both the Scarlets and Wales. 

I can't blame for going to Japan, experience a new culture and plus earn a big old pay check to secure his family's future. Good on him and best of luck to him, he's deserved it. Professional Rugby is a small career and I can't blame him for thinking let's take the money and look after my family. Family is bigger than anything else. He'll also be playing at a lower physicality standard than in the Northern Hemisphere and thus can play for a few more years and earn more year per year than we, and maybe along with Wales, could have given him. Pob Lwc Hadleigh a Diolch! He's been a star and a role model on the field and off. 

I can see him moving into coaching, given his experience playing in various leagues, alongside various quality players and on an international level. Let's just hope if he does move in coaching we'll see him with a Cap on and coaching the Scarlets. 

That might not happen, and so from me a huge Scarlets fan - DIOLCH HADLEIGH

-------------
eds

Date Posted: 14 May 2020 at 6:03pm
Foxy is in good shape by the way.

Posted By: John
Date Posted: 14 May 2020 at 6:38pm

Good news...
Best wishes Hadleigh. You will always be welcome back as a visitor.

Date Posted: 14 May 2020 at 6:53pm
Hadleigh ticked all the right boxes for us . 

Posted By: Wasp
Date Posted: 14 May 2020 at 7:41pm

Great  news, thanks 

-------------
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh

Posted By: magicman64
Date Posted: 14 May 2020 at 7:41pm
Real class player , thanks for your service and good luck for the future 

Posted By: Eastern outpost
Date Posted: 14 May 2020 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by Rob o'r Bont Rob o'r Bont wrote:

Big shame we can't see them off properly this year - the end of season farwell in the last game is quite an important part of our season I always think.  Here's a thought - could the club set up some sort of Zoom send off for them? Probably Zoom couldn't accomodate that many fans wishing to participate.
Great idea Rob

-------------

Posted By: Rob o'r Bont
Date Posted: 14 May 2020 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

Originally posted by Rob o'r Bont Rob o'r Bont wrote:

Great idea Rob
Cheers Steve; I'm sure an IT savvy person could rig something up. We will look back on this season as the year of innovation. Smile

-------------

Date Posted: 15 May 2020 at 7:26am

While it is certainly closer than her to nz,   nz to japan is some 12 hrs flight time.

It's not like he can pop home on a weekend or after playing in the evening or he can drop the grandkids there so he and the wife can have a night out

To put that into perspective You can  get from the UK  to New york quicker than you can get from Tokyo to Auckland

I get the longer contract and more money but the closer to home argument doesn't really cut much ice  tbh it's still miles and miles away

I get what you are saying regarding distance but thats not the whole story when travelling. You can get from London to NY quicker than London to Capetown but when you get to Capetown you haven't crossed so many time zones so somehow feel better. That was my experience when travelling to South Africa in 1997. As I have so much time RR I googled it and Tokyo to Hunterville is 5737 miles and London to Hunterville is 11669 miles!!!!Wink. You are right they won't be dropping the little one with mum/dad for a quick pint or sushi. 

Date Posted: 15 May 2020 at 7:50am
He wont be able to go to NZ for a very long time.

Posted By: EJPT
Date Posted: 15 May 2020 at 9:07am
Hadleigh has left for one big contract, better terms, better money and not as many games. Its not to be close to NZ. 

Date Posted: 15 May 2020 at 10:11am
And who can blame him for that, all I can say is thanks for the effort you put in over the past 6 seasons and enjoy your next adventure in Japan. 
You go with my blessing and the blessing of most of the Scarlets fans who appreciate the consistency in performance that you put in during your time with us, not to say your performances for Wales, including the try against Ireland that won us the grand slam.

Posted By: Fscarlet
Date Posted: 15 May 2020 at 10:27am
Originally posted by Legendinmybathroom Legendinmybathroom wrote:

And who can blame him for that, all I can say is thanks for the effort you put in over the past 6 seasons and enjoy your next adventure in Japan. 
You go with my blessing and the blessing of most of the Scarlets fans who appreciate the consistency in performance that you put in during your time with us, not to say your performances for Wales, including the try against Ireland that won us the grand slam.

Not forgetting the try saving tackle in the same game!!

Let's be honest, not may of us knew who HP was when he rocked up here. None of us could have even imagined how well he would play for us including very rarely being injured. Fair play to the lad, I wish him & his family nothing but the best!

Date Posted: 15 May 2020 at 7:14pm
Emyr Phillips not on the Quins coaching staff for next season, make of that as you wish.

Very surprising if it is that way as he seems to have jumped ahead of Rich Kelly for the role. Unless I'm reading too much into it and Emyr is planning to go elsewhere to gain the experience to coach at this level. 

Date Posted: 15 May 2020 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by AB2008 AB2008 wrote:

Emyr Phillips not on the Quins coaching staff for next season, make of that as you wish.

Very surprising if it is that way as he seems to have jumped ahead of Rich Kelly for the role. Unless I'm reading too much into it and Emyr is planning to go elsewhere to gain the experience to coach at this level. 
This has been well documented. Emyr has a job with the Scarlets academy 

-------------

Date Posted: 15 May 2020 at 7:18pm

The Skills coach with the academy he currently holds is peanuts, his wage from the Quins would be twice that, if not more. 

Date Posted: 15 May 2020 at 8:33pm

The Skills coach with the academy he currently holds is peanuts, his wage from the Quins would be twice that, if not more. 
At semi-pro level? Unlikely. Anyway it’s a different job now 

-------------

Date Posted: 16 May 2020 at 9:34am
Ok so lets summarise where we are with the now confirmed players leaving :-

Back 3 - Morgan Williams & Tom James. We have signed Liam and both Tom Rogers and Tomi Lewis can step up.

Centres - Lost Fonotia, Hadleigh & Corey - clearly some recruitment to be confirmed here but with Tyler leaving Dragons officially I would be surprised of Tyler wasn't one of the additions. Tyler for Fonotia is good business. Osian will step up for Corey so one more needed - Jonnie Williams has been strongly linked.

Scrum half - I too was sad to see Jonathan Evans leaving as he had a lot going for him. However injuries have taken their toll. Will we recruit or rely on loan deals if the need arises. Dafydd Buckland leaving the Dragons is an interesting development. Well thought of young player.

Loose head - we are well stocked with Wyn, Rob, Phil & Dylan & we have under 20's Mathias coming through.

Tight head - a position of concern for some time. It appears that Werner is staying for at least one more season which is good news - that gives us Samson, Werner & Javan. Who is next off the line - Jefferies how has he developed? Leung continues to impress at Premiership level. Anyone with any info? 

Posted By: roy munster
Date Posted: 17 May 2020 at 6:11pm

Terrific news. Hopefully we will see him fit at the start of new season if indeed the new season goes ahead.

-------------
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)

Posted By: Grammar School Boy
Date Posted: 17 May 2020 at 6:30pm

Back 3 - Morgan Williams & Tom James. We have signed Liam and both Tom Rogers and Tomi Lewis can step up.

Centres - Lost Fonotia, Hadleigh & Corey - clearly some recruitment to be confirmed here but with Tyler leaving Dragons officially I would be surprised of Tyler wasn't one of the additions. Tyler for Fonotia is good business. Osian will step up for Corey so one more needed - Jonnie Williams has been strongly linked.

Scrum half - I too was sad to see Jonathan Evans leaving as he had a lot going for him. However injuries have taken their toll. Will we recruit or rely on loan deals if the need arises. Dafydd Buckland leaving the Dragons is an interesting development. Well thought of young player.

Loose head - we are well stocked with Wyn, Rob, Phil & Dylan & we have under 20's Mathias coming through.

Tight head - a position of concern for some time. It appears that Werner is staying for at least one more season which is good news - that gives us Samson, Werner & Javan. Who is next off the line - Jefferies how has he developed? Leung continues to impress at Premiership level. Anyone with any info? 

Is Steff Hughes the first choice 12?  He is a popular smart player, but I am not sure he has the physical presence for the 12 slot at the top level.

Putting tin hat on...

Posted By: thommo
Date Posted: 17 May 2020 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by Grammar School Boy Grammar School Boy wrote:

Is Steff Hughes the first choice 12?  He is a popular smart player, but I am not sure he has the physical presence for the 12 slot at the top level.

Putting tin hat on...
No tin hat required. Steff is a good player. Imo at the businesses end of the season he lacks the top end quality. An important squad player who has the skill set, good thinker and reads the game very well. Unfortunately lacks the physicality and speed at the highest level. Just my opinion. 

Posted By: turkishrebel
Date Posted: 17 May 2020 at 6:51pm
Johnny williams I think will be seen a lot at 12. 

-------------
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!

Posted By: tannerbankboy
Date Posted: 17 May 2020 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Originally posted by Legendinmybathroom Legendinmybathroom wrote:

Not forgetting the try saving tackle in the same game!!

Let's be honest, not may of us knew who HP was when he rocked up here. None of us could have even imagined how well he would play for us including very rarely being injured. Fair play to the lad, I wish him & his family nothing but the best!

I too was pretty underwhelmed when I read about his arrival but he proved solid from the start and got better and better. Last season and RWC took a hell of a toll on him physically and I don't think he fancied any more of that at 32. Hopefully a couple of years at a lower level in Japan to see his time out. He's been a great signing for us and leaves with my thanks.

Date Posted: 18 May 2020 at 6:29am
Good summary that. Being perpetually exposed at 12 for club and country whenever available is testament to the man's endurance. Never took a step backwards.
It's a very physical channel to patrol, perhaps the most physically demanding after an open side.

Can't have enough cover for both in any squad these days tbh. Something we will hopefully recognize next term. (Nick Cudd would be a great option as squad cover..pure 7).

Date Posted: 18 May 2020 at 6:36am
To add I believe Gardiner has signed a deal at the Ospreys.

Posted By: Ffidel Bennett
Date Posted: 18 May 2020 at 11:25am

Good summary that. Being perpetually exposed at 12 for club and country whenever available is testament to the man's endurance. Never took a step backwards.
It's a very physical channel to patrol, perhaps the most physically demanding after an open side.

Can't have enough cover for both in any squad these days tbh. Something we will hopefully recognize next term. (Nick Cudd would be a great option as squad cover..pure 7).

Wil. I too was a fan of Nick Cudd but cover at 7 is one of the least necessary positions where cover is needed. At the moment we have Cubby, Dan Davis, Josh MacLeod and Jac Morgan all class players or exceptionally promising. Open side flanker is a position where the region rarely has difficulty nurturing players of outstanding ability, if not massive physical presence. We have had more problems at second row or number 8 although I'm optimistic that recent signings from outside will improve matters. Again at 6 we have an abundance and I'm actually surprised that we retained Tom Phillips and Blade, both of whom have played so little through injury that it would surprise me to see their names on a team sheet, whenever the next one appears.

Date Posted: 18 May 2020 at 11:34am
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

Wil. I too was a fan of Nick Cudd but cover at 7 is one of the least necessary positions where cover is needed. At the moment we have Cubby, Dan Davis, Josh MacLeod and Jac Morgan all class players or exceptionally promising. Open side flanker is a position where the region rarely has difficulty nurturing players of outstanding ability, if not massive physical presence. We have had more problems at second row or number 8 although I'm optimistic that recent signings from outside will improve matters. Again at 6 we have an abundance and I'm actually surprised that we retained Tom Phillips and Blade, both of whom have played so little through injury that it would surprise me to see their names on a team sheet, whenever the next one appears.

Re blade , I thought that he was out of contract but i believe that scarletnut states that he was still under contract.  I wouldn’t be surprised if he finishes - as the last I heard, he was still suffering with concussion. I hope that he’s fine . On his day he was excellent 

Date Posted: 18 May 2020 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

Fair point, albeit both Cubby and Dan missed most of last season, Cubby had a hip procedure in early March.
Macleod is probably more of an 8 than a 7 too.
I'm probably a little too cautious, and my view is colored in a bit as I also know Nick's credentials (and vast experience) as a 7.

6 and 8 I'm more relaxed about, Tom Phillips could be a breakthrough player this term, or at least I hope he is!.

Posted By: LLANDRE
Date Posted: 18 May 2020 at 4:14pm
We should never have left Cudd go in the first place. He was a better openside than Pugh and Edwards imo. I'm glad he's done well with the Dragons.

-------------
West is Best (Fin gwybod)

Posted By: Mr Ian
Date Posted: 18 May 2020 at 4:43pm
Scarlets confirmed as a team who believe in young coaches, this is very good, accepting of course the risk of possible errors caused of unexperience...
Franks is a big name for all the boys, fresh from the field and with a great baggage..Kelly confirmed he has a coaching talent and step up with Scarlets is a natural move.
I think Mooar this year worked specially with attack and I m so curious to see Whiffin in this role. Good that Delaney continuing his job with defence...

Date Posted: 18 May 2020 at 5:06pm
Thought there was a defence coach still to come? 

-------------

Date Posted: 18 May 2020 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by turkishrebel turkishrebel wrote:

Thought there was a defence coach still to come? 

I would imagine Glenn will carry on as a defence coach ?

Date Posted: 18 May 2020 at 5:37pm
Get John Barclay down to learn off Glenn 

Date Posted: 18 May 2020 at 6:10pm
Not sure you can do both head coach and defence

-------------

Posted By: PE SA
Date Posted: 18 May 2020 at 6:27pm
Glenn Delaney and the other coaches will take care of defence.
Coaching team complete 

Glenn Delaney
Richard Whiffin
Dai Flanagan
Richard Kelly
Ben Franks

Posted By: lofty evans
Date Posted: 19 May 2020 at 7:10am
Always hate to see departures from the Scarlet fold.....I thank everyone for putting the effort in for our great club.

-------------
In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Date Posted: 19 May 2020 at 8:40am

With regards Nic Cudd despite him been outstanding  for Llanelli RFC week in week out, Easterby would not select him, and would rather select teams without an openside. 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net