Forum Description: Team News, Season Tickets, Next Match
URL: http://www.scarletfever.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=45232
Printed Date: 20 September 2019 at 12:36pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: New Defence Coach?
Posted By: PTScarlet
Subject: New Defence Coach?
Date Posted: 26 March 2019 at 2:33am
What do you think is the possibility of getting Shaun Edwards seeing as he says nothing has been signed with Wigan. The WRU have reportedly been having a meeting, could they be funding part of his wages for us with Byron going the other way? Interesting.
He has been offered a job with Wasps according to Dai Young.. Seems like Wigan fans don't want him either.

-------------
One eyed turk, nothing more nothing less.

Replies:
Posted By: scarletnut
Date Posted: 26 March 2019 at 7:52am
Originally posted by PTScarlet PTScarlet wrote:

What do you think is the possibility of getting Shaun Edwards seeing as he says nothing has been signed with Wigan. The WRU have reportedly been having a meeting, could they be funding part of his wages for us with Byron going the other way? Interesting.

He has been offered a job with Wasps according to Dai Young.. Seems like Wigan fans don't want him either.
Zero

-------------
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1

Posted By: shocker
Date Posted: 26 March 2019 at 7:53am
Has Hayward got the Welsh job, nothing been confirmed.

Posted By: crj89
Date Posted: 26 March 2019 at 8:52am
Apart from Munster at home our defence has been woeful this season!

Posted By: T_RICHARDS_94
Date Posted: 26 March 2019 at 8:58am
I think there's more chance Shaun Edwards re-signing with Wales and Byron staying with us

-------------
Writer for https://theprorugbyclub.wordpress.com/" rel="nofollow - The Rugby Club

Posted By: GPR - Rochester
Date Posted: 26 March 2019 at 9:09am
Edwards won't be staying in Wales in my opinion. Would not surprise me to find he will follow Gatland to his next job which is potentially the new French coach. Hayward is certainly not good enough for Wales but I hope he does leave as we need some new voices at PYS. Steve Tandy is getting rave reviews for the way he is organising the Waratahs defence in this season's Super Rugby. Latest victims none other than the Crusaders. 

Lets be perfectly honest about this Pivac & Stevo have been well off the pace this season and must be considered very lucky to be gaining promotion on the back of it. 

Posted By: PTScarlet
Date Posted: 26 March 2019 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by T_RICHARDS_94 T_RICHARDS_94 wrote:

I think there's more chance Shaun Edwards re-signing with Wales and Byron staying with us

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/man-who-replacing-shaun-edwards-15568370" rel="nofollow - https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/man-who-replacing-shaun-edwards-15568370

Check the article from WOL, seems like a done deal already?

-------------
One eyed turk, nothing more nothing less.

Posted By: Haruki
Date Posted: 26 March 2019 at 1:32pm
I expect Gatland and Edwards to end up at England after Eddie fupps up another English world cup

Date Posted: 26 March 2019 at 1:51pm

Originally posted by T_RICHARDS_94 T_RICHARDS_94 wrote:

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/man-who-replacing-shaun-edwards-15568370" rel="nofollow - https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/man-who-replacing-shaun-edwards-15568370

Check the article from WOL, seems like a done deal already?

If the deal was done, why the w r u want chat with s e

Posted By: reesytheexile
Date Posted: 26 March 2019 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by crj89 crj89 wrote:

WE HAVE LOST JOHN BARCLAY,TADGH BEIRNE AND SHINGLER (INJURY) WHO HAVE BEEN IMMENSE FOR US AND THEN INJURIES TO ALL REPLACEMENTS.A BIT OF MITIGATION AND COMMONSENSE HERE IMO FOLKS

-------------
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook

Posted By: supertaf
Date Posted: 26 March 2019 at 3:12pm
Forwards coach available -  https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/47709184" rel="nofollow - https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/47709184  LOL

-------------
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872

Posted By: roy munster
Date Posted: 26 March 2019 at 3:15pm
can he had a dual contract between us and wru?

-------------
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)

Posted By: turkishrebel
Date Posted: 26 March 2019 at 3:20pm
interesting to know who will be in moars coaching staff. nothing announced yet.

-------------
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!

Posted By: crj89
Date Posted: 26 March 2019 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

WE HAVE LOST JOHN BARCLAY,TADGH BEIRNE AND SHINGLER (INJURY) WHO HAVE BEEN IMMENSE FOR US AND THEN INJURIES TO ALL REPLACEMENTS.A BIT OF MITIGATION AND COMMONSENSE HERE IMO FOLKS

Should never concede from 1st phase as many times as we have done this season, any organisation in defence and that gets rectified, it's down to coaching not what players that have been lost.

Posted By: henry_winkler
Date Posted: 26 March 2019 at 4:10pm

If we'd put Llanelli RFC out to play the blues on Friday then 38 nil at half time would sound about right but for a region to leak that many tries in a MUST Win game to secure hc rugby next season then its nothing short of farcical and goes to show how Pivac and Stevo have let this region slide in their list of priorities.

Date Posted: 26 March 2019 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by henry_winkler henry_winkler wrote:

If we'd put Llanelli RFC out to play the blues on Friday then 38 nil at half time would sound about right but for a region to leak that many tries in a MUST Win game to secure hc rugby next season then its nothing short of farcical and goes to show how Pivac and Stevo have let this region slide in their list of priorities.
Agree that was shocking but shows the reliance we have on say 5-6 key players(leaders) and how that can be lost by departures  (Barclay) or injury (Shings) and selection in this case as the starting 15 were poor and half backs dreadful /error strewn for some reason. Next home game is obv crucial  to get cracking again.

-------------
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook

Date Posted: 26 March 2019 at 5:32pm
barclay was the biggest loss imho....an awesome player

-------------

Posted By: gaffer
Date Posted: 26 March 2019 at 5:45pm
I'm sure Brad Mooar will have his own ideas about his coaching team for next season.

-------------
What's going on?

Posted By: PE SA
Date Posted: 26 March 2019 at 9:28pm
Steve Tandy anyone??

Date Posted: 26 March 2019 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

barclay was the biggest loss imho....an awesome player
And leader, He and Ken together were superb . When Ken is not playing we don’t have that strong and mature leader in the pack - good players yes but not leaders to follow.

-------------

Posted By: EJPT
Date Posted: 26 March 2019 at 11:37pm
Barclay and Scott Williams were superb defenders. Probably why we have leaked tries this season, they were also good at ripping the ball and winning key turnover ball from nothing.

Posted By: ScarletBear
Date Posted: 26 March 2019 at 11:45pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Zero

Less than that. 

Also would the characters even work together in a management team?

-------------
Scarlets before Wales

Date Posted: 27 March 2019 at 7:37am
Originally posted by ScarletBear ScarletBear wrote:

Zero

Less than that. 

Also would the characters even work together in a management team?
Good question that. My gut feeling is no

-------------
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1

Posted By: RR1972
Date Posted: 27 March 2019 at 9:15am
2 of the greatest coaches in the game geech and gatland love Edwards. the blues coaches and players  raved about him last year , if our new and our existing coach can't work with him it says more about them than it does about him tbh

Pivac seems an easy going affable guy I am not sure he will be right for team wales, the test team always seem to do better under the iron fist than the velvet glove

The likes of Jenkins  let them get away with all sorts, they rode all over Ruddock and Johnson was useless there.

Stevo and humph are imo a step up on the current coaches in their roles but Byron would be a huge downgrade and tbh I think PIvac is a big downgrade to.

I can see wales slipping a lot next year

Date Posted: 27 March 2019 at 9:38am
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

2 of the greatest coaches in the game geech and gatland love Edwards. the blues coaches and players  raved about him last year , if our new and our existing coach can't work with him it says more about them than it does about him tbh

Pivac seems an easy going affable guy I am not sure he will be right for team wales, the test team always seem to do better under the iron fist than the velvet glove

The likes of Jenkins  let them get away with all sorts, they rode all over Ruddock and Johnson was useless there.

Stevo and humph are imo a step up on the current coaches in their roles but Byron would be a huge downgrade and tbh I think PIvac is a big downgrade to.

I can see wales slipping a lot next year

I agree with you. I am not Gatland's biggest fan, or should I say, his way of playing the game but nobody can argue with the man's results. He understands what it takes to win matches and is a very shrewd judge of a player. He commands loyalty from his players and he always seems to preside over a very happy & well behaved group which can be contrasted with Eddie's English who always seem to have someone making the news for the wrong reasons!!!!

Pivac, Stevo & Byron have not covered themselves with glory this season and the defensive performance last Friday ranks with one of worst I have seen. A total contrast to the huge heart & guts shown against Munster. I think the Edwards situation is a non story really. He is on record as saying he was going to coach Wigan so he more or less ruled himself out of the Wales job going forward. He has had a change of heart as his stock has risen to its highest on the back of the 6 nations and probably sees the rewards available in Union over the next 4/5 years far outreaching what is on offer in League. It would be wonderful for Welsh rugby if a situation could be found for him to mentor all regional defence coaches but that is just wishful thinking.

I still think Gatland & Edwards will end up together possibly coaching France. 

Date Posted: 27 March 2019 at 10:41am
IF YOU RECALL gats a long time ago maybe 2010 said that he was going to give the squad more freedom for a year to make their own decisions in the style of play etc etc at the end of the season he said it hadnt worked out well and theyd need to go back to him being the boss....Im paraphrasing a bit. But as he had a 10 year plan in effect gats was shrewd enough to know he had time to experiment a bit and its a good way to see what type of characters he had and what did or didnt work. 

As rr1972 says these players seem to be better under strong leaders and an iron fist. Otherwise characters like gareth thomas , simply take advantage and do their own thing as we saw in the fiji debacle and as we saw after thomas and his team manages to oust grand slammer mike ruddock. They take advantage of laid back or weak leaders , but still manage to blame it on these leaders when it goes wrong. Thats pretty disingenuous. Thomas was even on tv ranting that he and his players didnt get enough credit for the grand slam. he was like a spoilt child. Gats seemed to weed out trouble makers early in his tenure. Didnt he drop popham and a few others for being disruptive?

We've seen none of that type of nonsense with Gats and edwards. Lets hope we dont under the next regime.

-------------

Date Posted: 27 March 2019 at 11:57am
We mustn't forget that Pivac did the same at the Scarlets in his first season. I don't think he can be described as soft when it comes to team discipline but this season, for whatever reason, he seems incapable of getting the team ready for games consistently. 

Posted By: Havard Fan
Date Posted: 27 March 2019 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

Steve Tandy anyone??

Getting a lot of praise in Super rugby in fairness to him

Posted By: ScarletBear
Date Posted: 27 March 2019 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by Havard Fan Havard Fan wrote:

Steve Tandy anyone??

Good luck to him. And no.

-------------
Scarlets before Wales

Posted By: mark in sydney
Date Posted: 28 March 2019 at 5:22am
Originally posted by ScarletBear ScarletBear wrote:

Originally posted by Havard Fan Havard Fan wrote:

Steve Tandy anyone??

Good luck to him. And no.

No way Tandy ...WOL article with little context … one good game against a deflated Crusaders team who hadn't played for 2 weeks and had to put up with all the issues happening at home … they looked distracted  as I looked at them coming off the SCG at half time and not how a Saders team usually play ..who can blame them 

Look at the average (to be polite) defensive performance of the Tahs when they played the Brumbies in Canberra the week before … and then rate Tandy 

-------------
I was there ...one Tuesday when the All Blacks came (and lost)

Posted By: Sosban bach
Date Posted: 28 March 2019 at 11:46am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

We mustn't forget that Pivac did the same at the Scarlets in his first season. I don't think he can be described as soft when it comes to team discipline but this season, for whatever reason, he seems incapable of getting the team ready for games consistently. 

Hardly surprising when he’s been off in nz getting married which should have been valuable training time, simply no excuse for us not to be ready for that blues game. A lack of respect from Pivac imo should have waited until after the season like the players would be told too. Looking forward to a fresh start as can’t see us winning an away playoff if we manage to get there.

Posted By: gnasher1975
Date Posted: 28 March 2019 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by Sosban bach Sosban bach wrote:

Hardly surprising when he’s been off in nz getting married which should have been valuable training time, simply no excuse for us not to be ready for that blues game. A lack of respect from Pivac imo should have waited until after the season like the players would be told too. Looking forward to a fresh start as can’t see us winning an away playoff if we manage to get there.

Man in having life outside work shocker ShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShocked

Posted By: RR1972
Date Posted: 28 March 2019 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by gnasher1975 gnasher1975 wrote:

Man in having life outside work shocker ShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShocked

not difficult to plan his wedding out of season tbh, plus he'd get a honeymoon then! LOLLOL

Date Posted: 28 March 2019 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by gnasher1975 gnasher1975 wrote:

38-0 halftime is the bigger shocker

Posted By: judith
Date Posted: 05 May 2019 at 11:52am
Does anyone get the Rugby Paper? Apparently there's mention of the new coaches that Brad is bringing in.

Posted By: Mugwuffin
Date Posted: 05 May 2019 at 11:57am
Originally posted by judith judith wrote:

Does anyone get the Rugby Paper? Apparently there's mention of the new coaches that Brad is bringing in.

Glenn Delaney - Highlanders defence coach.

Richard Whiffin - Gloucester Academy Head Coach & England U20 skills coach.

Posted By: scarletsbeno1
Date Posted: 05 May 2019 at 11:57am
Yeah Glen Delaney who’s highlanders defence coach (ex London Irish coach). Richard Whiffin Gloucester academy and England u20’s coach for attack. Cunningham rumoured to be staying on for forwards.

Date Posted: 05 May 2019 at 12:01pm
Don't know anything about these guys so won't comment. Disappointed that we are not addressing our serious lack of performance at forward. 

Date Posted: 05 May 2019 at 12:23pm

Don't know anything about these guys so won't comment. Disappointed that we are not addressing our serious lack of performance at forward. 
Delaney is very good. Big appointment that

-------------

Date Posted: 05 May 2019 at 12:39pm
Great news. Pleased if Ioan staying on personally to keep some local Llanelli connection and who can pass on information as well to aid continuity.

-------------

Date Posted: 05 May 2019 at 12:47pm
Little disappointed if true.

Date Posted: 05 May 2019 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by shocker shocker wrote:

Why?

Date Posted: 05 May 2019 at 2:56pm

Why?
Don’t listen to him. Delaney is very good and I would have been happy if he was the head coach

-------------

Posted By: henry_winkler
Date Posted: 05 May 2019 at 3:07pm

Why?
Don’t listen to him. Delaney is very good and I would have been happy if he was the head coach

I hope you are right, all those suoer rugby teams concede 30 points per game so I'm not sure I'd be shopping for a defence coach from a super rugby team. I'd be looking at a Shaun Edwards rugby league type.

But I'm no expert.

Date Posted: 05 May 2019 at 3:22pm
People want to be entertained and see points scored in running rugby and if we continue to play rugby in that style and win I will be happy. 👍

-------------

Date Posted: 05 May 2019 at 3:45pm
Well I watch lots of of super rugby, and the highlanders defence is not the greatest

Date Posted: 05 May 2019 at 5:15pm
Interestingly Delaney has also been a successful forwards coach in the past.

-------------

Posted By: Cwmgwuan
Date Posted: 05 May 2019 at 6:09pm
I think these 2 coaches are good business. They both seam up and coming coaches who have a lot of praise from very knowledgeable rugby people and i bet they didnt break the bank either. I for one am pretty excited for next season

Date Posted: 05 May 2019 at 7:30pm
AND importantly it would seem these are all people well known to Brad so he gets to pick his key coaching group Ioan has been good enough for Wayne in the last 5 years and is experienced now and still learning. Looks good to me 👍

-------------

Posted By: daveoda
Date Posted: 05 May 2019 at 8:16pm
One possible advantage is that Glenn Delaney and Richard Whiffin were at London Irish together,the former as Head of Rugby Operations and the latter as Backs coach as part of Tom Coventry's coaching team.

-------------
YMLAEN SCARLETS!!!

Posted By: Tim Opolis
Date Posted: 06 May 2019 at 12:48pm
Let's be honest here, for a region with our budget to recruit 3 coaches in one go and with such backrounds and credentials is phenominal. It wasnt so long ago that if a coach retired or left we'd appoint ex players from within, whether they were good enough or not.

The early announcement might have had an effect on this year's performance, who knows? It could have just been the lack of depth to cope with a larger than average amont of injuries and the disruption that caused to starting line ups. But the forward planning in replacing virtually the whole coaching team for next season has been second to none. Well done to all involved.Clap

-------------
Tymor nesa Duw, plis tymor nesa.

Posted By: aber-fan
Date Posted: 06 May 2019 at 1:39pm
Fair comment - it was important to have these coaches in position and named as early as possible - no doubt they'll want to set their stall out in the pre-season, though of course the players selected for the RWC won't be involved at that stage. 

-------------
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)

Posted By: mark in sydney
Date Posted: 06 May 2019 at 1:47pm
Delaney's recruitment is interesting as he only went to Dunedin for the Highlanders job in late 2017 when Scott McLoed (the 'Landers pervious defence coach) got the All Blacks defence job … not a bad reference.
He led the Canterbury Mitre 10 side as head coach to win the comp in 2017. I assume this is where Brad met him coaching the feeder side to the Crusaders. 
As someone who has seen his sides play (not on tv),  the Highlanders pack is always one of the best in NZ and Super rugby ..an area we need more coaching expertise in … looks a great pick to me 

-------------
I was there ...one Tuesday when the All Blacks came (and lost)

Posted By: Tim Opolis
Date Posted: 06 May 2019 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Fair comment - it was important to have these coaches in position and named as early as possible - no doubt they'll want to set their stall out in the pre-season, though of course the players selected for the RWC won't be involved at that stage. 

Yeah World Cup year is not the best time for them to join, but they will have extra time to work with the core squad due to the delayed start.

-------------
Tymor nesa Duw, plis tymor nesa.

Posted By: ladram
Date Posted: 06 May 2019 at 3:56pm
I guess this tnewsday is that cochyn has signed a 2 year extension.Cry

-------------
30th june 1986- 30th june 2011.25 years roofing,i wouldn't call that dodgy.

Posted By: Mogwen
Date Posted: 06 May 2019 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

Dont be silly, the club never discloses contract lengths. 😂😂😂

-------------
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Posted By: Gwyn Morgan
Date Posted: 06 May 2019 at 6:28pm

Disappointed if true. After the season we've endured we need fresh faces - not more of the same.

Posted By: Wasp
Date Posted: 06 May 2019 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by Tim Opolis Tim Opolis wrote:

Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Yeah World Cup year is not the best time for them to join, but they will have extra time to work with the core squad due to the delayed start.
I think it might be good timing to change coaching setup, precisely due to the longer pre-season for the bulk of the squad. These guys need to bond and build relationships and understanding.

-------------
We're still still here!

Posted By: PE SA
Date Posted: 07 May 2019 at 11:11pm
Brad Mooar and Mark Delaney worked together in the past.
Whiffin and Delaney also worked together.

I assume delaney will be overlooking forwards in supporting cunningham.

Mooar to do the same in attack imo. Whiffin a huge influence in bringing through young guns. This will no doubt have been a factor.

Wouldn't be surprised if Richard Kelly is brought in as well... And maybe Emyr Phillips.

Date Posted: 08 May 2019 at 6:33am

Mooar to do the same in attack imo. Whiffin a huge influence in bringing through young guns. This will no doubt have been a factor.

Wouldn't be surprised if Richard Kelly is brought in as well... And maybe Emyr Phillips.

-------------

Date Posted: 08 May 2019 at 6:35am

wouldn't those wages be better used towards a number 8 ?

-------------

Date Posted: 08 May 2019 at 7:47am

We’ve already got three under contract.

-------------

Date Posted: 08 May 2019 at 8:09am

I assume you mean Casseim, Blade & Josh. Casseim doesn't fit the bill for me, Blade is a 6 in the Shingler mould and Josh is a natural 7 at the moment with every chance of growing into the 8 role. If I was selecting the best back row available to us at the moment it would be 6. Aaron 7 Cubby 8. Blade with Josh on the bench able to cover all 3. With that combination available most of this season we would have qualified for the play offs in my mind if only on the back of an improved lineout. 

However Blade only works as an 8 if you have plenty of carrying options ahead of him in the front 5. 

Posted By: Fscarlet
Date Posted: 08 May 2019 at 8:34am
Given the news that Casseim was playing with a fairly significant injury for part of this season I am reserving judgment on him for another season & am hoping that with a good pre-season he will show what he is really capable of.

Date Posted: 08 May 2019 at 8:43am
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Given the news that Casseim was playing with a fairly significant injury for part of this season I am reserving judgment on him for another season & am hoping that with a good pre-season he will show what he is really capable of.

That is one way of looking at it but he has been fully fit for the past few games and I am yet to see a Springbok no 8. He is not big enough for me and lacks carrying power.

Date Posted: 08 May 2019 at 9:14am

problem solved then lookout Europe next year,Cry

-------------

Date Posted: 08 May 2019 at 9:41am

Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

That is one way of looking at it but he has been fully fit for the past few games and I am yet to see a Springbok no 8. He is not big enough for me and lacks carrying power.
He hasn't been

-------------

Date Posted: 08 May 2019 at 9:41am

problem solved then lookout Europe next year,Cry
If Blade Thomson is fit it turns from a weakness into a strength. But I admit that's a big IF.

-------------

Date Posted: 08 May 2019 at 10:00am

I assume you mean Casseim, Blade & Josh. Casseim doesn't fit the bill for me, Blade is a 6 in the Shingler mould and Josh is a natural 7 at the moment with every chance of growing into the 8 role. If I was selecting the best back row available to us at the moment it would be 6. Aaron 7 Cubby 8. Blade with Josh on the bench able to cover all 3. With that combination available most of this season we would have qualified for the play offs in my mind if only on the back of an improved lineout. 

However Blade only works as an 8 if you have plenty of carrying options ahead of him in the front 5. 
Agree completely with that point.

-------------

Posted By: Exkixu
Date Posted: 08 May 2019 at 10:41am
Originally posted by mark in sydney mark in sydney wrote:

Delaney's recruitment is interesting as he only went to Dunedin for the Highlanders job in late 2017 when Scott McLoed (the 'Landers pervious defence coach) got the All Blacks defence job … not a bad reference.
He led the Canterbury Mitre 10 side as head coach to win the comp in 2017. I assume this is where Brad met him coaching the feeder side to the Crusaders. 
As someone who has seen his sides play (not on tv),  the Highlanders pack is always one of the best in NZ and Super rugby ..an area we need more coaching expertise in … looks a great pick to me 

Great post. It is also interesting to note that the Highlanders pack rarely counts with multi capped ABs the way Crusaders' or Chiefs' usually do. Good players yes, but watching them you get the feeling that the pack is better than the parts and it works very well as a unit, and that's something we could use around here.

-------------
1 Xavier Rush   2 Rhys Priestland   3 David Lyons   Cardiff Blues - Scarlets, 26/09/09      

More carries than any of our forwards. Priestland Fan Club Proud Member

Date Posted: 08 May 2019 at 10:47am
The ability to carry effectively between the 15 metre channels is a fundamental requirement in the modern game. Much has been made of our apparent success in 2017 & 2018 without this skill. That is incorrect - Jake, Tadgh & Aaron were very effective carriers being able to make good ground through a combination of bulk, pace & in the cases of Tadgh & Aaron exceptional footwork. 

They were supplemented by the carrying of our front row forwards with Barclay & Cubby proving excellent operators at the breakdown. Of these five mentioned back 5 forwards only three are still with us, Aaron has played no games, Cubby very few and Jake only a few more. The intended replacements for Barclay & Tadgh have been injured for most of the season. Therein lies the crux of our problems this season. 

On the face of it Louisi appears to be an upgrade on Bulbring especially in the carrying ability. It is a pity that we are seeing the new coaching group start work in a World Cup affected season. If injuries allow then a pack of Rob, Ken, Samson, Jake, Louisi, Aaron, Cubby & Blade with a bench of Wyn, Ryan, Werner, Cummins & Josh should fear nobody in the pro 14 when it comes to possession & power. 

Posted By: Fscarlet
Date Posted: 08 May 2019 at 10:50am

The ability to carry effectively between the 15 metre channels is a fundamental requirement in the modern game. Much has been made of our apparent success in 2017 & 2018 without this skill. That is incorrect - Jake, Tadgh & Aaron were very effective carriers being able to make good ground through a combination of bulk, pace & in the cases of Tadgh & Aaron exceptional footwork. 

They were supplemented by the carrying of our front row forwards with Barclay & Cubby proving excellent operators at the breakdown. Of these five mentioned back 5 forwards only three are still with us, Aaron has played no games, Cubby very few and Jake only a few more. The intended replacements for Barclay & Tadgh have been injured for most of the season. Therein lies the crux of our problems this season. 

On the face of it Louisi appears to be an upgrade on Bulbring especially in the carrying ability. It is a pity that we are seeing the new coaching group start work in a World Cup affected season. If injuries allow then a pack of Rob, Ken, Samson, Jake, Louisi, Aaron, Cubby & Blade with a bench of Wyn, Ryan, Werner, Cummins & Josh should fear nobody in the pro 14 when it comes to possession & power. 

Totally agree, the try he scored against Leinster he had 2 or 3 players hanging off him, he should have never scored that.

Posted By: Mrfwon
Date Posted: 08 May 2019 at 10:51am
Originally posted by Tim Opolis Tim Opolis wrote:

Let's be honest here, for a region with our budget to recruit 3 coaches in one go and with such backrounds and credentials is phenominal. It wasnt so long ago that if a coach retired or left we'd appoint ex players from within, whether they were good enough or not.

The early announcement might have had an effect on this year's performance, who knows? It could have just been the lack of depth to cope with a larger than average amont of injuries and the disruption that caused to starting line ups. But the forward planning in replacing virtually the whole coaching team for next season has been second to none. Well done to all involved.Clap

Agreed 100% ClapClapClap The positive thing for me, the new coaching team will have ample time to work with the players pre-season, and at least put some sort of rubber stamp on how we're likely to play come the start of the season.
We'll be starting with a clean sheet as far as the tables are concerned, so onwards and upwards for sure. ClapClapClap

-------------
Guinness Pro 12 Champions 2017...get in!

Posted By: Mr Ian
Date Posted: 08 May 2019 at 10:57am
Originally posted by Exkixu Exkixu wrote:

Originally posted by mark in sydney mark in sydney wrote:

Great post. It is also interesting to note that the Highlanders pack rarely counts with multi capped ABs the way Crusaders' or Chiefs' usually do. Good players yes, but watching them you get the feeling that the pack is better than the parts and it works very well as a unit, and that's something we could use around here.
I would like to watch in Scarlets, Highlanders' work at breakdown. Also some back row..

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net