Forum Description: Other rugby chat
URL: https://scarletfever.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=44598
Printed Date: 28 March 2024 at 5:18pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Under 20 World Cup
Posted By: hoppy
Subject: Under 20 World Cup
Date Posted: 29 May 2018 at 12:17pm
Just to let people know Wales v Australia live on S4C Tomorrow night 8:00 pm Kick off Under 20

Replies:
Posted By: NobbySosban
Date Posted: 29 May 2018 at 2:29pm
6 Scarlets in the team...

Wales U20 v Australia U20:
Cai Evans (Ospreys); Rio Dyer (Dragons), Corey Baldwin (Scarlets), Ioan Nicholas (Scarlets), Ryan Conbeer (Scarlets); Ben Jones (Cardiff Blues), Dane Blacker (Cardiff Blues);
Rhys Carre (Cardiff Blues), Iestyn Harris (Cardiff Blues), Rhys Henry (Ospreys), Rhys Davies (Bath Rugby), Max Williams (Dragons), Tommy Reffell (capt, Leicester Tigers), Dan Davis (Scarlets), Taine Basham (Dragons).

Replacements: Dewi Lake (Ospreys), Rhys Davies (Scarlets), Will Davies-King (Cardiff Blues), Lewis Ellis-Jones (Scarlets), Lennon Greggains (Dragons), Harri Morgan (Ospreys), Ben Thomas (Cardiff Blues), Joe Goodchild (Dragons)

Posted By: Gate12
Date Posted: 29 May 2018 at 2:56pm
Heads up appreciated.

Posted By: SospanMawr
Date Posted: 30 May 2018 at 5:32pm
Looking forward to this. Australia are usually strong at this level and Wales have a tough group so probably won't expect a run this year. 
Looking forward to seeing Baldwin, Carre, Max Williams, Dan Davis and Basham.
Keep an eye out for Rhys Davies (loosehead) and Lewis Ellis-Jones (lock or 6), both big Scarlets prospects and both a year young for this level I think.

Posted By: surfing-mtber
Date Posted: 30 May 2018 at 8:23pm
3-3 @19 mins. Wales handling red hot. Good breakdown battle. Conbeer, Nicholas and Dan Davies showing class.

-------------
Joshua24:15

Date Posted: 30 May 2018 at 8:36pm
Try Nicholas 8-13

-------------

Posted By: Mogwen
Date Posted: 30 May 2018 at 8:45pm
Scarlets backs are on fire.

-------------
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Posted By: Rich (Bris)
Date Posted: 30 May 2018 at 8:51pm
They are indeed Mogwen!

Good to see Italy winning and Georgia nearly beat South Africa.

Date Posted: 30 May 2018 at 8:57pm
Baldwin showing pace, strength and a well timed pass to make the last try. 11-20 HT to Wales. Australia try was very skilful from a penalty advantage. Other than that that they haven't looked like scoring. Our backs, especially the Scarlets look dangerous every time they get the ball. Conbeer is a right live wire

-------------

Date Posted: 30 May 2018 at 8:59pm
The tight head is being destroyed . The Aussie scrum is showing him up

-------------

Date Posted: 30 May 2018 at 9:40pm
Very impressed with max Williams and our no.6. Half back were quite poor. Australia very disappointing . Great result đź‘Ťđź‘Ťđź‘Ťđź‘Ťđź‘Ť

-------------

Posted By: 157cb
Date Posted: 30 May 2018 at 9:45pm

A very good win !! an excellent defensive game by Wales half backs poor though kicked the leather off the ball a real shame with the Scarlets backs looking so sharp ..

Date Posted: 30 May 2018 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by Mogwen Mogwen wrote:

Very impressed with max Williams and our no.6. Half back were quite poor. Australia very disappointing . Great result đź‘Ťđź‘Ťđź‘Ťđź‘Ťđź‘Ť

Max Williams smashed their midfield and a nuisance at the breakdown. 9 should have been changed earlier. Dan Davies everywhere.

-------------

Posted By: PritchyTheScarlet
Date Posted: 30 May 2018 at 9:50pm
Top win, that!

-------------
“Gareth Edwards just ran 30 yards and got a Knighthood, I sidestepped five players and got arthritis in both knees.” - Benny

Date Posted: 30 May 2018 at 10:09pm
Great. Our young Scarlets great as we're all the team - though Blackers's kicking not good enough and not normally the right call IMO. Bashan at No.8 fantastic. Max Williams also very impressive

Posted By: GPR - Rochester
Date Posted: 31 May 2018 at 8:17am
Interestingly Ioan playing in what many consider his best position - 12. 

Posted By: Mr Ian
Date Posted: 31 May 2018 at 8:19am
Good perfomance of our players..about Nicholas is good he can play in almost all positions of the field, but still I m understanding where is better..good mix between him and Baldwin in the midfield.

Date Posted: 31 May 2018 at 9:04am
There is a Josh Bashan playing lock for the English u20 side. Can't find anything to say he is related to Taine but Josh was born in Wrexham. Unusual name - cousins perhaps?

Posted By: aber-fan
Date Posted: 31 May 2018 at 9:08am
An interesting match, and a good win...

From a Scarlets PoV, i thought Nicholas was outstanding - I've felt that at pro-14 level he lacks a bit of physicality, but not at this level - very good indeed in defence (one probable try-saving tackle included) and took his try following a cute grubber behind the Aussie line perfectly, just staying on-side and touching down inches from the dead ball line. So, I'm now a bit more optimistic that he can step up to pro level as he matures physically - he has the gas and the rugby brain. Conbeer had few chances, but made the initial break before the second try - basically set up by a brilliant outside break by Baldwin, showing power to fend off the tackler and timing his pass to Goodchild perfectly. Davies was one of an outstanding back row.

In general, it looked as if Wales won the game thanks to an excellent defence, very well coached - they gave the Aussies next to nothing all evening - with very good line speed, and big guys like Max Williams smashing the Aussie midfield. Our spot blitz was so quick, I think the ref mistakenly penalised Wales for offside a couple of times! Wales also looked more dangerous ball in hand, but the halves kicked too much and not always accurately. The Aussies skills were surprisingly poor at times - they blew a couple of chances with bad handling.

So, a good win - now for the ABs...!

-------------
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)

Date Posted: 31 May 2018 at 9:30am
Thanks for the summary Aber - I missed the game. It's so easy to forget that these lads are still only 20. Ioan has been around the 1st team set up since he was 17 so he must have the minerals as far as the coaches see. His natural position seems to be 12 & as he matures physically he may well be our long term successor to Scott/Hadleigh. Apparently in his youth days he played a lot at 10 so clearly has a kicking game which is a bonus at 12. He, like Steff Hughes, is a good thinker & invariably makes the right decision a huge bonus for a 2nd playmaker. 

Baldwin has power and pace. With both the 12 & 13 for both the 18's & 20's coming from the Scarlets academy our midfield options are looking good for years to come. Dan Davis has always been a favourite of mine and he continues to impress. 

Date Posted: 31 May 2018 at 9:39am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Thanks for the summary Aber - I missed the game. It's so easy to forget that these lads are still only 20. Ioan has been around the 1st team set up since he was 17 so he must have the minerals as far as the coaches see. His natural position seems to be 12 & as he matures physically he may well be our long term successor to Scott/Hadleigh. Apparently in his youth days he played a lot at 10 so clearly has a kicking game which is a bonus at 12. He, like Steff Hughes, is a good thinker & invariably makes the right decision a huge bonus for a 2nd playmaker. 

Baldwin has power and pace. With both the 12 & 13 for both the 18's & 20's coming from the Scarlets academy our midfield options are looking good for years to come. Dan Davis has always been a favourite of mine and he continues to impress. 

No problem.

Interesting that you mention Baldwin's 'power and pace', as in another thread I doubted he had those to the same level as Foxy (who does?), but that he'd be fine at pro-14 level... he's still maturing, and I haven't seen that much of him, so maybe I've underestimated what he can achieve. I've seen hardly anything of Dan Davis, so good to hear that he's quality.

Also, interesting that Nicholas can kick... I don't remember him doing so once last night, so it's a useful additional weapon in his armoury. The Wales 10, Jones, didn't kick that well last night - I've seen him play a lot better. Cai Evans, Ieuan's son, kicked superbly for goal - most were from halfway, or near that - and also looked assured in all he did. Pity he's with the Os!

-------------
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)

Date Posted: 31 May 2018 at 10:14am
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

No problem.

Interesting that you mention Baldwin's 'power and pace', as in another thread I doubted he had those to the same level as Foxy (who does?), but that he'd be fine at pro-14 level... he's still maturing, and I haven't seen that much of him, so maybe I've underestimated what he can achieve. I've seen hardly anything of Dan Davis, so good to hear that he's quality. Also, interesting that Nicholas can kick... I don't remember him doing so once last night, so it's a useful additional weapon in his armoury. The Wales 10, Jones, didn't kick that well last night - I've seen him play a lot better. Cai Evans, Ioan's son, kicked superbly for goal - most were from halfway, or near that - and also looked assured in all he did. Pity he's with the Os!

I like to see Cai playing at 10 where his all round kicking talents can be used fully. Think we may be short of an out and out natural FB hence his selection. The O's just maybe have their next 10 coming along nicely. He'll certainly give Sam a bit of a hurry up next season. I read an interesting article by one of the coaches of the 20's back in the days of Foxy. He said that the power to weight performances of Warburton, Halfpenny & Foxy were off the scale at the time which earmarked them for the future. Be interesting to be privy to the physical attributes of the current crop. 

Date Posted: 03 June 2018 at 5:18pm
Stop the kicking!!!!!

Posted By: roy munster
Date Posted: 03 June 2018 at 5:23pm
Great win against the aussies, sadly a 42-10 hammering to all blacks today...the chasm is still huge at all levels , why why why>???

-------------
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)

Date Posted: 03 June 2018 at 5:23pm
It was a poor display by the half backs. No control and too much kicking.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 June 2018 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

Great win against the aussies, sadly a 42-10 hammering to all blacks today...the chasm is still huge at all levels , why why why>???

Physique and physicality a big factor today. We were built (quite rightly) like a junior age group side. They were not. The kids of South Sea Island heritage families are renowned for getting to an adult physique very quickly. That is why they generally Now play weight related rugby instead of age-related rugby at schoolboy level.

Should have been a red card at the end?

Posted By: John
Date Posted: 03 June 2018 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

Because they are taught skills at a young age and they just do them so well. Contrast with the Welsh performance last night- passes always rushed and going in all directions and at all heights. The first try was nearly butchered twice..Remember Michael Collins never made a mistake when he was here- nor was he ever out of position. And Pivac has expressed surprise at the lack of basic skills he found when he got here. But he did have two young coaches in Stevo and Ioan who were prepared to learn on a trip to NZ and who were prepared to work hard on the players.

The first great coach in rugby was Carwyn and his influence was further developed in NZ. Not only do you have to have the skills but you have to follow Carwyn's mantra that rugby is a thinking game... "think, think, think..." he would tell the players.  As the generations of Scarlets coaches have come and gone, Carwyn's influence waned and it has taken Pivac to get it back. You have to have the skills absolutely engrained and then you can start to play rugby as a thinking man's game. Yes the physical aspect is important but you do not have to play biff-bash rugby to be successful.  

Date Posted: 03 June 2018 at 5:54pm
  Dire performance utterly clueless it makes you think what the Wales 20s coaches do in training ? kick kick and kick again .

Posted By: Ffidel Bennett
Date Posted: 03 June 2018 at 6:15pm
It wasn't just too much kicking, but very poor kicking giving the ball back to the All Blacks to attack as many times as they pleased. Perhaps they see Ben jones as a sort of Neil Jenkins Mk II but at least Jenkins was good at what he did. We had a group of talented backs who hardly so the ball, and if this was the game plan then perhaps it's the coaches who should be taking the criticism.

Date Posted: 03 June 2018 at 6:23pm
I'm afraid Ben Jones has kicked poorly during this tournament, but the guy who came on was no better - worrying that we don't seem to have a better 10 at this level in Wales. There were too many mistakes by Wales... the ABs were way better, and physically stronger in a number of positions.

Why do the AB players - or some of them - feel the need to put in cheap shots, when they're going to win anyway? That was an obvious red card at the end. but the ref bottled it.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 June 2018 at 6:40pm
Unless you can kick like Sexton and a few others (the NZ U20 half backs for a start) then don't kick unless to touch or big space behind. If I'd have been a forward today, having just at last won some ball on or near half way to see our backs kick it (time and again) straight down the throats of such great attackers I'd not have been Happy. They got great ground from all our kicks today.

Date Posted: 03 June 2018 at 8:19pm
For the first twenty minutes every time their 9 (who looked about 14 by the way) kicked he either hit grass or was at a contestable level, which stopped Cai Evans from jinking through and having time on the ball. 
Wales did some good stuff. The build up to Basham's try, for example, was very good. Good line out, using a quality strike runner (Carre) against their 10, recycled quickly with two lines of attack, pulled it back, Basham made a top top finish. But overall we were by far the second best team.

A word for Basham. Not his best game but what a player. Hard to believe he's only 18.

Posted By: Turkpower
Date Posted: 03 June 2018 at 8:20pm
Doesn't help when Mr Been is the ref.

Posted By: Sosban bach
Date Posted: 04 June 2018 at 12:44am
Pacific Islanders are that size because they are on the gear from a young age to get scouted to play for money.

Date Posted: 04 June 2018 at 10:27am
Originally posted by Sosban bach Sosban bach wrote:

Pacific Islanders are that size because they are on the gear from a young age to get scouted to play for money.

Not the case - unless almost all those with island heritage in NZ are on gear to get scouted. I've got cousins in their 30s born and bred out there and they say it was the case when they were at school even before the game went pro.

Date Posted: 04 June 2018 at 10:40am

Where's your evidence? Pretty harsh thing to say.

Posted By: KID A
Date Posted: 04 June 2018 at 11:20am
How hard does the New Zealand player have to hit Nicholas to get a red?

Date Posted: 04 June 2018 at 11:22am
Originally posted by SospanMawr SospanMawr wrote:

Where's your evidence? Pretty harsh thing to say.

It's been known for a few years tbh. Think an ex Fijian player said the other day that world rugby need to help sort the problem out as it's seen as the best chance to get out of poverty in these islands. You only have to google to see its talked about really. They aren't all naturally this size that's just stupid to think so. All Welsh men under 5'6 so it's easy to work in the mines? https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/81426397/kiwi-in-charge-of-world-antidrugs-agency-lifts-lid-on-first-xv-rugby-doping
I can get more links if you don't want to look yourself?

Date Posted: 04 June 2018 at 11:41am
Steroids are used by many I'm not saying it's just the Pacific islands, be intresting to see how many would test posiitive in your local club.

Posted By: NobbySosban
Date Posted: 04 June 2018 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

I've only seen the short clips doing the rounds on the Twitbook, but given World Rugby's well publicised stance on high hits, it seems in conceivable that some of these 'hits' weren't dealt with more firmly, particularly after TMO intervention.

Surely this one should have been a case of 'which colour card' to use? - start with a red and work down if there are mitigating factors, of which there are none here. The Baby Black may well face a citing and suspension, but a showpiece international development tournament for young players has to be the place to make sure decisions are seen to be right on the field.

Take nothing away from the New Zealand U20s' superior strength and ability, but the number of these type of incidents in just one game needs addressing - even this short clip, with the previous passer also being pushed to the ground to take him out of the game, it's almost as if this approach to the game is being coached into them... Ermm ...and that's what World Rugby needs to tackle.

Date Posted: 04 June 2018 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by NobbySosban NobbySosban wrote:

I've only seen the short clips doing the rounds on the Twitbook, but given World Rugby's well publicised stance on high hits, it seems in conceivable that some of these 'hits' weren't dealt with more firmly, particularly after TMO intervention.

Surely this one should have been a case of 'which colour card' to use? - start with a red and work down if there are mitigating factors, of which there are none here. The Baby Black may well face a citing and suspension, but a showpiece international development tournament for young players has to be the place to make sure decisions are seen to be right on the field.

Take nothing away from the New Zealand U20s' superior strength and ability, but the number of these type of incidents in just one game needs addressing - even this short clip, with the previous passer also being pushed to the ground to take him out of the game, it's almost as if this approach to the game is being coached into them... Ermm ...and that's what World Rugby needs to tackle.

Well articulated as usual Nobby.

Then there's this one, which wasn't even a penalty. Consider what Steff got against the Ospreys. The only mitigating factor I can see is that the NZ player was caught out by the Wales player deciding to go in the air.

But that's not accounted for in the laws. A tackle in the air - is a tackle in the air. This one was given a penalty that won the Lions a test match against New Zealand. So inconsistent.

Date Posted: 04 June 2018 at 2:11pm

That's as clear a red as you'd want to see - the ref bottled it. unlike the one who carded Sonny Bill for something not all that different.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 June 2018 at 8:29pm

That's as clear a red as you'd want to see - the ref bottled it. unlike the one who carded Sonny Bill for something not all that different.

His disciplinary bis tomorrow - so clearly the citing officer thought it probably merited more than a yellow card. I should cocoa!

Posted By: ap sior
Date Posted: 04 June 2018 at 8:35pm
No arms, clear lead with the shoulder, appears to hit the head, very late, he could have pulled out. What more could he have done wrong ?????

Please don't tell me that the tackle in the air hasn't attracted a citing ?

The ref/TMO should also be reprimanded for not taking firmer action during the game on both incidents.

These are two vicious incidents. Perhaps the WRU should cite these examples as showing a complete lack of player welfare. Oh hang on !

Date Posted: 04 June 2018 at 8:51pm
Don't think the tackle in the air has as only one kiwi up to be seen.

Date Posted: 04 June 2018 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by Rich (Bris) Rich (Bris) wrote:

Don't think the tackle in the air has as only one kiwi up to be seen.

I take your word for it, but that is a complete joke !

Posted By: reesytheexile
Date Posted: 05 June 2018 at 9:19am
Cheap also as he knew Nicholas wasn’t even looking or ready for the hit, as his head was following the ball. Nasty one under the modern pro rules.

Date Posted: 05 June 2018 at 10:12am
I can only assume the ref and TMO thought he hit his chest not head but even if so (& not so sure!) - still no arms tackle, very late, impact above nipple line and clearly intentional with no attempt to use arms. I can see him missing rest of tournament. Would behave little sympathy.

Date Posted: 05 June 2018 at 10:13am
If you look carefully, you'll see that the AB player actually 'took off'/started the 'tackle' after Ioan had passed the ball.

Date Posted: 05 June 2018 at 10:35am
Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

If you look carefully, you'll see that the AB player actually 'took off'/started the 'tackle' after Ioan had passed the ball.
Indeed. Has to be a ban.One Jim Williams of the Blues would have been proud off .

Date Posted: 05 June 2018 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Indeed. Has to be a ban.One Jim Williams of the Blues would have been proud off .

Do you mean 'Nick', or is there a 'Jim' as well?

-------------

Date Posted: 05 June 2018 at 3:10pm
'Tele'a has subsequently been banned for the rest of the tournament following a three-game suspension.'

Date Posted: 05 June 2018 at 3:57pm

'Tele'a has subsequently been banned for the rest of the tournament following a three-game suspension.'

Quite right. I'm sure the ref and TMO will be spoken to and that this will be a lesson to others in the tournament, as must be devastating to miss the rest of it. It's not as if it was near the start of a likely-close game where you want to make a good, hard (but fair) tackle on a key opportunity player.

Date Posted: 05 June 2018 at 5:53pm

Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Do you mean 'Nick', or is there a 'Jim' as well?
Oops..yes Jim Wiliams former  Australian forward-another tough cookie. I meant 'nasty' Nick Williams .Wink

Date Posted: 05 June 2018 at 6:53pm
Nick Williams wouldn't have been quick enough to hit Ioan. He has to let the opposition player run toward him before hitting  him with a high tackle.
 Apart from the occasional high tackle Nick Williams is a big  carrying 8, who was voted Blues player of the season, if I remember correctly. 
We probably could have used him against Leinster, and with a back row of him, Aaron and Cubby, (leaving Tadgh in his best position) would have had a better chance to counter the Leinster multi-player drives. 

Date Posted: 05 June 2018 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

Nick Williams wouldn't have been quick enough to hit Ioan. He has to let the opposition player run toward him before hitting  him with a high tackle.
 Apart from the occasional high tackle Nick Williams is a big  carrying 8, who was voted Blues player of the season, if I remember correctly. 
We probably could have used him against Leinster, and with a back row of him, Aaron and Cubby, (leaving Tadgh in his best position) would have had a better chance to counter the Leinster multi-player drives. 

Maybe not - he was quick enough to hit John Barclay in his Ulster days, though - such was his speed, it wasn't even visible on camera! Quicker than the speed of light! He must have slowed down, since going to the Blues...

-------------

Date Posted: 05 June 2018 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by Rich (Bris) Rich (Bris) wrote:

Quite right. I'm sure the ref and TMO will be spoken to and that this will be a lesson to others in the tournament, as must be devastating to miss the rest of it. It's not as if it was near the start of a likely-close game where you want to make a good, hard (but fair) tackle on a key opportunity player.

Yes, indeed.

I was disappointed in the attitude of (some of) the Baby Blacks - some made perfectly fair big hits, but others definitely went for deliberate cheap shots... Tele'a's was by some way the worst of those, and an obvious red card to all but the officials.

-------------

Date Posted: 05 June 2018 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

Nick is an aside here (my fault!) but I always felt that he is (was) a good footballer who was quick for his position but his 'edge' has let him down as we all know from time to time. I think Wayne coached him once? Yes I agree a lump like him is always very useful for a team. And back to the plot, the Kiwi got his just punishment for his lack of discipline.

Posted By: Fscarlet
Date Posted: 13 June 2018 at 9:39am
England v France final after the French side surprised New Zealand, beating them 16-7.

Date Posted: 13 June 2018 at 9:43am
Yes I am looking forward to seeing this young French side play. They apparently are the real deal.

Date Posted: 13 June 2018 at 9:48am

Yes I am looking forward to seeing this young French side play. They apparently are the real deal.

Me too, I have heard good things about them. I will admit I didn't see the 2nd SF but England held on by the skin of their teeth to beat South Africa.

Date Posted: 13 June 2018 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

England v France final after the French side surprised New Zealand, beating them 16-7.

Having seen the French defeat of South Africa I wasn't surprised - but they totally blew NZ away first half and although the French ran out of a bit of steam in the 2nd half they were well worthy winners and the scoreboard is in many ways misleading - though of course if you don' put chances away then ..... The NZ defence was massive which was a key reason it was so close. Let's hope the French boys can reach those heights again at the weekend.

Date Posted: 13 June 2018 at 6:37pm
Positives for me were Max Williams, Ben Fry, Cai Evans, Ioan Nicholas and Corey Baldwin.
I wasn’t impressed with any prop really, which is disappointing because I was really looking forward to Carre but he really wasn’t a stand out. His scrummaging needs to get better and he needs to get fitter.
Basham too, went quiet after the first match and was outplayed by the other Dragons 8 Ben Fry. Must remember Basham is only 18.
The thing that really crucified Wales though was poor half back play.. the 9s were really poor whilst they didn’t seem to settle on a 10 with Ben Jones and Ben Thomas playing there, then Cai Evans played there vs Argentina.

Date Posted: 14 June 2018 at 8:25am
WoL have 'picked' the following 3 Welsh players as the ones to come out shining from the tournament & as the ones to watch in the future...

Ryan Conbeer

He scored a superlative try against Argentina and has flair and pace.

Corey Baldwin

Another Scarlets product who has risen to the challenge at this tournament. He is a nice runner who makes things happen.

Taine Basham

It is still early days and there will be a lot of debate about where his best position is, but if the lightly built Dragons youngster can handle the physicality and make his display against Australia his default setting he could develop into some player.

Posted By: Once a monkey
Date Posted: 14 June 2018 at 12:50pm

Positives for me were Max Williams, Ben Fry, Cai Evans, Ioan Nicholas and Corey Baldwin.
I wasn’t impressed with any prop really, which is disappointing because I was really looking forward to Carre but he really wasn’t a stand out. His scrummaging needs to get better and he needs to get fitter.
Basham too, went quiet after the first match and was outplayed by the other Dragons 8 Ben Fry. Must remember Basham is only 18.
The thing that really crucified Wales though was poor half back play.. the 9s were really poor whilst they didn’t seem to settle on a 10 with Ben Jones and Ben Thomas playing there, then Cai Evans played there vs Argentina.
Harri Morgan is a very good 9 and will feature heavily for Os U23 this season. Far better than anything we have at that age. Bear in mind he still qualified for U18s this season, so has 2 more seasons again. Blacke played as expected. Like a guy without that X factor

-------------
#George

Date Posted: 14 June 2018 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by Once a monkey Once a monkey wrote:

Harri Morgan is a very good 9 and will feature heavily for Os U23 this season. Far better than anything we have at that age. Bear in mind he still qualified for U18s this season, so has 2 more seasons again. Blacke played as expected. Like a guy without that X factor
Not knocking the players' long term ability at all, just saying they were outplayed in most games and couldn't get the best out of a very dangerous Welsh backline.
I liked the All Black 9 who looked about 12 but was one of their most important players usually.

Date Posted: 14 June 2018 at 1:42pm

The Wales Under 20s coaching set up should have been removed after last years World Cup, the coaching set up is inept with basic skills like passing set piece and quick ball ignored for slow one up bish bash rugby  real shame with such quality outside backs in squad almost totally ignored throughout .

Date Posted: 14 June 2018 at 3:29pm

Maybe - but far too often he was miles from the breakdown... I expect it was the coaches' fault... they should have told the players that first man to the breakdown carries on the move in those circumstances - far too often, there was a long delay waiting for the Wales 9s to get there. If the 9 gets trapped in a ruck or whatever, the coaches MUST make sure the boys have the freedom to play the ball.

-------------

Posted By: Once a monkey
Date Posted: 15 June 2018 at 11:36am
Was the game plan apparently Aber. Not Harri.

-------------
#George

Date Posted: 15 June 2018 at 1:34pm

Was the game plan apparently Aber. Not Harri.

Yes, that was my point - coaches need to realise that if the 9 is trapped a long way from the ball, the other players should have the freedom to get on with it. 

-------------

Date Posted: 17 June 2018 at 7:21pm
France leading England 23-8 with 20 mins to go in the final.

Date Posted: 17 June 2018 at 7:43pm
33-18 France, with the clock nearly in the red...

-------------

Date Posted: 17 June 2018 at 7:44pm
Update... now France 33 England 25 with 79 min played!

-------------

Posted By: Eastern outpost
Date Posted: 17 June 2018 at 7:55pm
Well done France.

Very deserved winners. England were lucky to be as close as they were, in the end.

-------------
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.

Date Posted: 17 June 2018 at 10:53pm
End-game punch-ups appear now appear  to be the rage after the Argentina-Wales conflagration. 
But remember it happened to us first ,and others, totally lacking in originality, are merely copying. 
Seriously though, at least the ref in France-England U20 final had enough sense to ignore it and not start dishing out red-cards willy-nilly when almost everyone could have had one..

Date Posted: 18 June 2018 at 9:28am
I posted this in the Conbeer thread, but maybe it should have gone here:

Congratulations to Wales on beating Italy 34-17 to secure 7th place at the U20 World Cup:

http://www.worldrugby.org/u20/video/345898" rel="nofollow - https://www.worldrugby.org/u20/video/345898

Dan Davis showed up well with a try and a break down the wing with an inside pass to create another for Llewellyn.

Ryan Conbeer also scored... both Ryan and Dan's tries involved 3 yard dashes with a bit of elusiveness and strength to evade and fend off tackles - not the most spectacular tries ever, but they got the job done!

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net