Forum Description: The best threads hall-of-fame dedicated to Baz
URL: http://www.scarletfever.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=40883
Printed Date: 15 August 2020 at 5:48pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Roger Lewis Leaving (OFFICIAL)
Posted By: Alun
Subject: Roger Lewis Leaving (OFFICIAL)
Date Posted: 24 February 2015 at 12:18am
Seems to be strong rumours flying about on Twitter about a big announcement tomorrow morning. It's embargoed, Moffett has reappeared on Twitter.

EDIT - He's going. October 31st.

-------------
Cartref newydd, Stadiwm newydd, Penod newydd, Yr un freuddwyd.

"Does na unman yn debyg i adra, ond mae adra'n debyg iawn i 'chdi."

All statements-My opinions

Replies:
Posted By: Wil Chips
Date Posted: 24 February 2015 at 6:05am
http://www.wru.co.uk/eng/news/32760.php" rel="nofollow - http://www.wru.co.uk/eng/news/32760.php
Take the question mark off mate...leaves 31 October (post RWC).

Posted By: totallybiasedscarlet
Date Posted: 24 February 2015 at 6:38am
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/31593687

Gone!!!!! Glad to see the back of him. Egomaniac who caused far more problems than he solved. Need a very good man to replace him and get things back on track.

-------------
"If it's on, we back our skills and our confidence ... We've got some great players, play a good brand and we enjoy doing it." Ken Owens

Posted By: sgsmorgan
Date Posted: 24 February 2015 at 6:40am
Brilliant news....what price Mark Davies for the job....he'd be brilliant....inclusive, level headed, pragmatic,  practical , perfect

Posted By: 157cb
Date Posted: 24 February 2015 at 6:43am

Roll on October the 31st ,that date cant come quick enough

Posted By: ladram
Date Posted: 24 February 2015 at 6:45am
Originally posted by 157cb 157cb wrote:

Roll on October the 31st ,that date cant come quick enough

speak for yourself I got married on that day.

-------------
30th june 1986- 30th june 2011.25 years roofing,i wouldn't call that dodgy.

Posted By: Mike
Date Posted: 24 February 2015 at 7:11am
The damage he's done to Welsh rugby will take years to recover from, if we ever do.

Goodbye and good riddance, you absolute disgrace.

-------------
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7YKNn2JmGk" rel="nofollow - Scarlets Tries of the Season 2010/11 < > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkOKLtQs6m0" rel="nofollow - 2009/10 <

Posted By: mammamammon
Date Posted: 24 February 2015 at 8:00am
Finally he's done something "good for Welsh Rugby"

-------------
mammamammon

www.hopemalawiuk.com

Posted By: OwainLlanedi
Date Posted: 24 February 2015 at 8:04am
I don't feel much pleasure really. His decade of austerity is the main contributing factor to our current malaise, and the only solace I can really take from it all is that we're still here to witness him leave and that we will never have to suffer him in an administrative position in any sport ever again. The sycophancy of the WRU lackeys and business partners will be nauseating for the next few days but a necessary evil to get rid of him.

I just hope we can bounce back. Good riddance Roger; never pollute West Wales with your nonsense again.

-------------
"Er gwaetha pob Dic Siôn Dafydd, Er gwaetha 'rhen Fagi a'i chriw, Byddwn yma hyd ddiwedd amser, A bydd yr iaith Gymraeg yn fyw!"

Posted By: Abbey
Date Posted: 24 February 2015 at 8:12am
The BBC and other media gushing in their praise. At least Gareth Charles went some way to telling the truth by pointing out that he may have concentrated too much on team Wales at the expense of grass roots.

The truth is that his reforms have no foundation and that the success can only be short term. There is no thought for ongoing success or development (unless you consider us a breeding ground for French club rugby). At least Gareth Davies' appointment has ushered in dual contracts with the hope that the names stay and make the regions stronger.
I still have concerns about the terms of the DCs and the uncompetitiveness of the regions during international windows.

Posted By: solihullscarlet
Date Posted: 24 February 2015 at 8:27am
Me too but at least now we can look forward to the possibility of someone working with us not against us. Getting out of the moribund pro12 would be my wish.

-------------
#UniteAndFight against the crooked Pro12

Posted By: LLANDRE
Date Posted: 24 February 2015 at 8:41am
Big loss to Welsh Rugby.

-------------
West is Best (Fin gwybod)

Posted By: Gate12
Date Posted: 24 February 2015 at 8:55am

Is it too early in the day for a celebratory pint?

Hopefully Welsh rugby can start moving forward now and find someone to make sure we're all pulling in the right direction, Roger's made a lot of enemies in World rugby over the past few years at all levels and the only saving grace was that his ego ensured that a lot of the baggage will leave with him rather than taint the new CEO and chairman.

I think his biggest achievement is being the probably inspiration for the rumoured Spitting Image return.

In most cases you'd say good luck and good riddance, in this case it's just good riddance.

Posted By: Mugwuffin
Date Posted: 24 February 2015 at 9:10am
When he started his job there were 3 competitive regions in Wales, plus 1 (NGD) that would give anyone a game at home, on their day.

Look at the legacy he's leaving. He's been an absolute disaster of a CEO.

Posted By: M.M.
Date Posted: 24 February 2015 at 9:22am
So, farewell then Roger.

"Sharpening the saw". That was your catchprase. Well, one of em anyway.

"Creating inventory" was another one.

Both were total bo****ks.

Posted By: Scarletrover
Date Posted: 24 February 2015 at 9:26am
One comment. - AT LAST!!!!

-------------
http://www.scarletfever.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9579&PN=1&TPN=1">

Posted By: KID A
Date Posted: 24 February 2015 at 9:28am

Posted By: Ffidel Bennett
Date Posted: 24 February 2015 at 9:34am
Radio Cymru had Gareth Charles and Simon Williams discussing his legacy. Neither was gushing, and Simon Williams echoed most of the posts on here in that he'd ruined everything under the national side.
Where will he go next? The Irish aren't looking for a CEO are they?

Date Posted: 24 February 2015 at 9:49am
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

Radio Cymru

So far, on their phone in, BBC Radio Wales have had:

-Martyn Thomas, Roger's friend who stood up for him on scrumv
-David Pickering, Roger's right hand man in his tenure
-Graham Clutton, a journo who writes the WRU programme notes and who's wife still works for the WRU
-Gerry Toms, the former Millennium Stadium manager

All gushing over how wonderful Lewis was.

Posted By: RR1972
Date Posted: 24 February 2015 at 9:52am
who next and what changes do we want are the big questions?

for me we need to really start to invest in schools and youth rugby, that;s the future

we also need to sit down with all 4 regions and target future WQ players to come into the regions.

If the regions and WRU can work together in the same way the IRFU do then things will improve very quickly

Posted By: reesytheexile
Date Posted: 24 February 2015 at 9:53am
Moffat is very happy on twitter! 

-------------
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook

Date Posted: 24 February 2015 at 9:58am
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Moffat is very happy on twitter! 

Speaking of men who are only intrested in themselves and could care less about the game in wales.

Moffat has had his chance and blew it , he should stay out of the game in wales

Posted By: Mundoscarlet
Date Posted: 24 February 2015 at 10:02am
all the old boys brigade from grass roots,chairmen or ex stadium guys ,but 1 final minute on the regions.well done again WRBBCU

Posted By: Iwlew
Date Posted: 24 February 2015 at 10:32am
Good news

-------------
And We Were Singing...

Posted By: Sosban bach
Date Posted: 24 February 2015 at 11:05am
Happy days! Who's going to take over? Investment needed in youth and schools and some propaganda to deter them from football!

Date Posted: 24 February 2015 at 11:08am
Wales team announced, no Jake Ball?

-------------
And We Were Singing...

Date Posted: 24 February 2015 at 12:54pm
Wonder if Steve Phillips will follow.

Posted By: roy munster
Date Posted: 24 February 2015 at 1:56pm
whats welsh for YABADABADOOOOOOOOOOO [<:o)]

-------------
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)

Date Posted: 24 February 2015 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by Sosban bach Sosban bach wrote:

Happy days! Who's going to take over? Investment needed in youth and schools and some propaganda to deter them from football!

well said

Date Posted: 24 February 2015 at 2:35pm
Hope he takes his schoolmate Alan Phillips with him. Nobody bit when i said he would be missed. !

-------------

Posted By: NobbySosban
Date Posted: 24 February 2015 at 2:44pm
I thought I'd feel more exuberant when this day came, as it had to. Perhaps the inevitability reduced the impact.

As is the mark of the man, the announcement of his departure has been perfectly choreographed - in fairness, they've had weeks to prepare and get sympathetic voices lined up for the media, and coordinated it with a Wales team announcement showing more changes than expected (controversially).

Interview with Dai Moff at 8am on BBC Radio Wales came across like a churlish mud-slinger with nothing good to say - despite all the success & Grand Slams Roger personally delivered.

Phone-in with Oliver Hides from 9am started with 10 minutes from Dai Pickering, who even tried to attribute the 2005 Grand Slam to Roger (Lewis started at WRU in 2006 - ed), though he did finish by trying to praise the Regions' management & benefactors, presumably for balance. Hides did also gently challenge him on whether it was necessary to repay Barclays rather than reinvest in the game while interest rates were at record lows, but didn't really push it.

Guests and callers selected for the phone-in hour could have been hand-picked by the WRU PR department (not that they were, of course), including: writer Graham Clutton (writes for the WRU match-day programmes, wife works for WRU - these were not stated on the show, btw) saying that no one could have anything bad to say about Lewis's performance as CEO; professional players' body chairman Rhys Williams who said he had no idea what was happening at grass roots but that Roger had done a pretty good job as far as he was concerned (rather than talking about player welfare for Wales players in Welsh Regions, I noted); various club chairmen who have benefited from WRU investment; a caller who derided Wales' "hand-out" culture. Some tweets from dissenters were read out, but they came across as snide, sniping remarks from social media types, to be honest.

Warren Gatland was asked about Lewis's departure at the Wales presser at 1pm:

"The relationship the national team have had with Roger since I’ve been here has been outstanding.

"There’s no doubt we have the best facilities in the world and when we’ve gone to him for things he’s been outstanding.  I think he’s going to leave Welsh rugby in a healthy state and the challenge is for someone new to come in and make a mark. It will probably impact on my long term future." 

Asked if he would elaborate on that final point, Gatland simParc y Scarletsaid: "No."

Seems to me that he's already evaluating his future After Roger & RWC15 - hope that motivates him to get some great performances from Wales on his CV, starting this weekend. He could do with a bit more pressure.

Tom Shanklin has been singing Rog's praises, largely based on him having recruited Gatland and delivered sustained success on the field & financially.

So that's today's news, done & dusted. The important & exciting thing now is identifying a successor. Maybe Gareth Davies will take this on, but let's just hope it's not another sound-bite politician.

(Might be an interesting day to revisit this - how we got here:)

https://gwebenezer.wordpress.com/2014/12/15/would-the-authentic-leader-please-step-down-what-will-roger-lewis-do-next/" rel="nofollow - wordpress.com/2014/12/15/would-roger-lewis-please-step-down/

Date Posted: 24 February 2015 at 2:59pm
mark davies / Andrew hore would be the early faves in my humble opinion dark horse would be someone like nigel walker.

Whoever it is he will have a better relationship with the regions than Lewis had.

Strange comment from Gats, I can see him heading over to cash rich wasps once the world cup is over.

Date Posted: 24 February 2015 at 3:21pm
in fairness theres plusses and minuses. lets hope its onward and upward from here

-------------

Date Posted: 24 February 2015 at 3:55pm
Ross Harris was pretty accurate this morning, he was basically saying that casual fans with a moderate interest in the game at international level and virtually no interest in the game below that will think that Roger did a good job, everyone else not so much.

I'd guessing Gatland is looking for a post World Cup pay off, either that or he'll just plod along for another 4 years as the best paid coach in the world spending half of his time back home, not a bad set of options.

There's also a few other deals of Roger's that will keep going for a few years (Cr4p TV and sponsorship deals) so Roger's can sleep easy in the knowledge that his legacy will live on for a while yet.

He's probably holding off until the end of the World Cup because he's got the dream of Sam lifting the World Cup with him chatting to the Queen in the background.

This is without a doubt Rogers greatest achievement though:

&amp;#10;WRU President Dennis Gethin, WRU Chief Executive Roger Lewis, First Minister of Wales Carwyn Jones and Artist Dan Llywelyn Hall unveil a new portrait of the Queen to be housed at the Millennium Stadium

Posted By: SospanMawr
Date Posted: 24 February 2015 at 5:00pm
Mark Davies or Andrew Hore for me, or even both. There's a huge amount of work to be done mind.

Posted By: 2ndtimeround
Date Posted: 24 February 2015 at 5:04pm
Just heard this on Scarlet FM, really hope its true.

Date Posted: 24 February 2015 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by Gate12 Gate12 wrote:

Ross Harris was pretty accurate this morning, he was basically saying that casual fans with a moderate interest in the game at international level and virtually no interest in the game below that will think that Roger did a good job, everyone else not so much.

I'd guessing Gatland is looking for a post World Cup pay off, either that or he'll just plod along for another 4 years as the best paid coach in the world spending half of his time back home, not a bad set of options.

There's also a few other deals of Roger's that will keep going for a few years (Cr4p TV and sponsorship deals) so Roger's can sleep easy in the knowledge that his legacy will live on for a while yet.

He's probably holding off until the end of the World Cup because he's got the dream of Sam lifting the World Cup with him chatting to the Queen in the background.

This is without a doubt Rogers greatest achievement though:

<SPAN =slide->&amp;#10;WRU President Dennis Gethin, WRU Chief Executive Roger Lewis, First Minister of Wales Carwyn Jones and Artist Dan Llywelyn Hall unveil a new portrait of the Queen to be housed at the Millennium Stadium</SPAN>
lol the queen must be hell of a goalkepper with hands like those

-------------

Date Posted: 24 February 2015 at 6:19pm
Great video from Gwladrugby about Roger.

http://gwladrugby.com/?p=2136

-------------
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7YKNn2JmGk" rel="nofollow - Scarlets Tries of the Season 2010/11 < > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkOKLtQs6m0" rel="nofollow - 2009/10 <

Posted By: Scarlet O'Hara
Date Posted: 24 February 2015 at 6:41pm
Not seen that painting before, looks like a cartoon from a newspaper, I hope it was a gift they didn't pay for.

Date Posted: 24 February 2015 at 6:44pm
Gatland's comments regarding his future are very telling. There's no doubt that the cosy relationship that Lewis and the union had with the BBC and Western Mail deflected or diluted a hell of a lot of the criticism that would have ordinarily come Gatland's way.
Don't get me wrong, Gatland has, on the whole, been exceptionally successful, but if you accept the plaudits when things go right, you must also accept criticism when they don't. Compare him to an England football manager who is dealt with depending on how they have performed in the latest tournament and Gatland has got off easily.

I think that anyone - player, coach or even CEO ought to be judged on their entire record and not have the nice bits enhanced and the rest airbrushed away as has been the case with Roger Lewis. Yes, he reduced the debt but at a needless cost. Why be proud that you're overpaying the mortgage when you feed the family bread and water? Why be proud that the international team is winning a championship when your grass roots teams are going bust? Why be proud that you're developing world class players who then ply their trade in another country?

Date Posted: 24 February 2015 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by Abbey Abbey wrote:

. Why be proud that you're overpaying the mortgage when you feed the family bread and water? Why be proud that the international team is winning a championship when your grass roots teams are going bust? Why be proud that you're developing world class players who then ply their trade in another country?

Ultimately, this is what you get when you're offered a free ride and no accountability by the press and therefore the majority of the public. Those in the western mail should be ashamed of the lack of scrutiny that Lewis has been placed under in this whole sorry debacle.

Posted By: TheOracle
Date Posted: 24 February 2015 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

. Why be proud that you're overpaying the mortgage when you feed the family bread and water? Why be proud that the international team is winning a championship when your grass roots teams are going bust? Why be proud that you're developing world class players who then ply their trade in another country?

Ultimately, this is what you get when you're offered a free ride and no accountability by the press and therefore the majority of the public. Those in the western mail should be ashamed of the lack of scrutiny that Lewis has been placed under in this whole sorry debacle.
Interesting statements regarding Gatland , which i think everyone would agree with , but how can posters on here agree your sentiments ,yet critasize posters when people like Mark Jones , Ieuan Evans and Mcclusker are rightfully villafied...What i say reading your comments , that there are huge number of hypocrites who post on here these days who alter the goal posts when it suits them ...dont you feel

-------------
I dont need Googleto answer my questions
I have a Val...apparently shes never wrong

Date Posted: 24 February 2015 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by Mike Mike wrote:

Great video from Gwladrugby about Roger.

http://gwladrugby.com/?p=2136

Good effort

-------------
"If it's on, we back our skills and our confidence ... We've got some great players, play a good brand and we enjoy doing it." Ken Owens

Date Posted: 24 February 2015 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by TheOracle TheOracle wrote:

Interesting statements regarding Gatland , which i think everyone would agree with , but how can posters on here agree your sentiments ,yet critasize posters when people like Mark Jones , Ieuan Evans and Mcclusker are rightfully villafied...What i say reading your comments , that there are huge number of hypocrites who post on here these days who alter the goal posts when it suits them ...dont you feel

They're entitled to their opinion.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 February 2015 at 7:21pm
Roger has scratched Gatland's back and Gatland has scratched Rogers basically.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 February 2015 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by totallybiasedscarlet totallybiasedscarlet wrote:

Some are Some  arnt     thats the forum at present ....Free speech is only accepted when it agrees with certain points of view

-------------

Date Posted: 24 February 2015 at 7:40pm
From BBC Sport website:

"And because of that, perhaps - unkindly - the Roger Lewis era will be remembered more than anything as one of the most acrimonious in the history of Welsh Rugby."

Says it all about the BBC and their relationship with Roger Lewis - to suggest that any criticism is "unkind".

Date Posted: 24 February 2015 at 7:45pm
Fair play to BBC Wales, they did a good piece on Wales Today. 

Roger didn't come out of it smelling or roses... to say the least.

-------------

Posted By: Tim Opolis
Date Posted: 24 February 2015 at 7:48pm
Finally he does something in the best interests of Welsh rugby!

-------------
Tymor nesa Duw, plis tymor nesa.

Date Posted: 24 February 2015 at 8:14pm
Jeez!! Just caught up with the BBC's Radio Wales phone in this morning (on BBC radio catch-up "Morning Call with Oliver Hides" and the interview with David Pickering. He seemed to suggest that Lewis was responsible for the Millennium Stadium, the 1999 World Cup and the first Grand Slam. All before his tenure.

Graham Clutton being excessively sycophantic and a "member of the public" spouting how Lewis has superbly funded grass roots - again quoting the millions that Lewis has funded the regions without qualifying how much of that merely passed through the Union's hands. The guy is obviously a plant as he has facts and figures at his fingertips and able to quote.

Date Posted: 24 February 2015 at 8:15pm

Some are Some  arnt     thats the forum at present ....Free speech is only accepted when it agrees with certain points of view

People are also allowed to disagree. Vehemently even. That would constitute Free Speech by most definitions.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 February 2015 at 8:18pm

People are also allowed to disagree. Vehemently even. That would constitute Free Speech by most definitions.
I Think you missed Sal v The World last weekend on the Muckluster thread or my Ieuan Evans thread 

-------------

Posted By: lofty evans
Date Posted: 24 February 2015 at 8:25pm
The idiots who gave the [beep] the job should walk as well, obviously not before the World Cup...give up their freebies after all their meagre salaries cannot cope with first class flights and five star hotels.

His legacy will take years to unravel and by then he will be a Lord and the new top man in the shambles assembly that no one cares about....perfect for him.

-------------
In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Date Posted: 24 February 2015 at 8:43pm
Interesting policy from the BBC on this morning's phone in. All callers (with the exception of one) were very supporting I'd Saint Roger Lewis. Dissenters only had their emails read out. The one caller against Roger was put up against Graham Clutton and another Lewis supporter. The phone-in was appalling, especially Clutton who obviously wants to get a room with Lewis.
So sickly that it was made of treacle.

Date Posted: 24 February 2015 at 8:53pm

Interesting policy from the BBC on this morning's policy. All callers (with the exception of one) were very supporting I'd Saint Roger Lewis. Dissenters only had their emails read out. The one caller against Roger was put up against Graham Clutton and another Lewis supporter. The phone-in was appalling, especially Clutton who obviously wants to get a room with Lewis.
So sickly that it was made of treacle.

I complained to the BBC about the make up of the panel. Was an appalling show.

Date Posted: 24 February 2015 at 8:59pm

Interesting policy from the BBC on this morning's policy. All callers (with the exception of one) were very supporting I'd Saint Roger Lewis. Dissenters only had their emails read out. The one caller against Roger was put up against Graham Clutton and another Lewis supporter. The phone-in was appalling, especially Clutton who obviously wants to get a room with Lewis.
So sickly that it was made of treacle

Graham Clutton does some work for the WRU and his wife is employed by them.

So a very impartial 'commentator'.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 February 2015 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by Mike Mike wrote:

So sickly that it was made of treacle

Graham Clutton does some work for the WRU and his wife is employed by them.

So a very impartial 'commentator'.

Goebbels would have been so proud.

Date Posted: 24 February 2015 at 9:49pm
Clubs that pay players below the premiership don't get any WRU funding anymore and the after match dinners and end of season dinners are no longer the free on the house affairs that they used to be.

-------------

Date Posted: 25 February 2015 at 12:01am
Originally posted by LLANDRE LLANDRE wrote:

Clubs that pay players below the premiership don't get any WRU funding anymore and the after match dinners and end of season dinners are no longer the free on the house affairs that they used to be.
really?

-------------

Date Posted: 25 February 2015 at 7:03am

I Think you missed Sal v The World last weekend on the Muckluster thread or my Ieuan Evans thread 

Might want to compare the language and aggression on those threads compared to this one and it might give an indicator why they're being greeted differently.

Although I'm not convinced a few comments from a pundit and a mistake from a player in a game compare the Rogers reign over the past decade.

Posted By: DDF
Date Posted: 25 February 2015 at 9:53am
Interesting that Gatland feels he's "probably" affected from Lewis's departure.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/31607780" rel="nofollow - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/31607780  

Date Posted: 25 February 2015 at 10:23am
Clubs that declare that they pay players below the premiership do not get any funding. Narberth is one example.

-------------

Date Posted: 25 February 2015 at 10:44am
Originally posted by DDF DDF wrote:

Interesting that Gatland feels he's "probably" affected from Lewis's departure.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/31607780" rel="nofollow - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/31607780  

If Wales don't get out of the group stage, I think Gatland will leave

-------------
And We Were Singing...

Date Posted: 25 February 2015 at 10:58am
Originally posted by LLANDRE LLANDRE wrote:

Clubs that declare that they pay players below the premiership do not get any funding. Narberth is one example.

the 99% that don't declare are still getting funded though

Posted By: scarletabroad
Date Posted: 25 February 2015 at 12:04pm
Having purposely stayed away from the site after Saturday's match to calm down and reflect (something which a few members should have also perhaps done in hindsight) I am now elated to read the news that The Snake is finally slithering off to find a rock to hide under.
I hope that pain and pestulance follow him to the level of anguish and hurt that he has bestowed upon us as a club and fans.
I would like to say something pleasant about him but.........................................................I can't think of anything. Oh yes I have though of something
YOU HAVE MADE MY DAY ROGER!! Approve

Date Posted: 25 February 2015 at 12:42pm
Yes they are probably getting funded. The days of big money being paid at a lower level has decreased significantly to what it used to be. I remember the days of Phil May etc going to Tenby and the big signing on fees players used to get to come back from first clubs to play at a lower level. It still goes on but not at the scale it used to be.

-------------

Date Posted: 25 February 2015 at 1:15pm
Odd comments from Gatland when he doesn't even know who the new CEO is, they may decide he's underpaid, underprotected, doesn't get the support he deserves and hasn't got a long enough contract for all he knows.

Posted By: PE SA
Date Posted: 25 February 2015 at 2:29pm
new guy must be Mark Davies...the only sensible option IMO. 

Posted By: Rob o'r Bont
Date Posted: 25 February 2015 at 2:44pm
With apologies to W. H. Auden

Start all the clocks, pick up the telephone,
Tell all your friends that he has gone,
Silence the disco prank and with muffled drum
Restore the rugby atmosphere to the Milenium Stadium. 

Let aeroplanes circle rejoicing to the sun
Scribbling on the sky a new era has begun,
Put red bows round the white post of the touchline flags,
Let every player wear 'our game is saved' on their kit bags. 

He tried to ruin my North, my South, my East and West,
If he had his way, West wouldn't be Best,
My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
He tried to destroy it, and he was wrong.

The stars are needed now: put out every one;
Pick up the moon and restore the sun;
Pour out the champaign and sweep up the wood.
We can restore our game once more; and Wales can be good.

-------------
That's the Scarlets, its in their DNA.

Date Posted: 25 February 2015 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by Rob o'r Bont Rob o'r Bont wrote:

Posted By: salmidach
Date Posted: 25 February 2015 at 2:55pm

one of my fav poems, nicely changed....

Date Posted: 25 February 2015 at 2:56pm
Had to be done. Smile

-------------

Date Posted: 25 February 2015 at 4:20pm

quality mind you I think most fans would apply your poem to most departing wru bosses....grabmore and moffo were hardly universally loved lol

-------------

Date Posted: 25 February 2015 at 4:37pm
on the surface at national level you could argue hes done a pretty good job.......under his tenure...recruited a world class coach and assistant, 3 six nations titles, world cup semi, wins over the aussies and boks...strong under 20s ...improved facilities across pro rugby...debt reduction down to £14 million....dual contracts eventually went through after years of squabbling

under the surface...what about debenture debts? theres millions there that has to be repaid...the clubs have become poorer, the regions weaker, not sure if playing numbers have changed much? you could argue the wru debts have fallen partly because the funding to regional rugby has been so meagre.......
then how much credit should lewis get for this relatively successful era? or should it be shared with moffo and even Hansen and henry? who by hook or by crook demanded better facilities and regional rugby and more funding for the elite professional end of the game?

believe it or not when mr henry came here I recall he was utterly bemused with the fact a nation so rugby mad and with endless rain didn't have 1 indoor pitch in the whole country....
weve come a long way since then

-------------

Posted By: Eastern outpost
Date Posted: 25 February 2015 at 7:11pm

Just when you've been fed too much nonsense on Fever, something like this comes out of the blue. Excellent, worthy of crediting W H Auden rather than apologies.

If a building surveyor looked at the Lewis legacy, he'd be calling in the ground works experts to substantially reinforce the foundations of the professional game.

-------------
Any offence taken on board is only a literate/cy consequence. Every attempt at humour is just that. No personal insult intended. Standards lowered for trolls.

Date Posted: 25 February 2015 at 10:49pm
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

Just when you've been fed too much nonsense on Fever, something like this comes out of the blue. Excellent, worthy of crediting W H Auden rather than apologies.

If a building surveyor looked at the Lewis legacy, he'd be calling in the ground works experts to substantially reinforce the foundations of the professional game.
Have playing numbers gone up or down across wales in the past decade, im hoping you can save me the trouble from googling it

-------------

Date Posted: 26 February 2015 at 12:20am
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

Have playing numbers gone up or down across wales in the past decade, im hoping you can save me the trouble from googling it
Not sure I follow your banter roy.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 February 2015 at 2:02am

do you know if playing numbers across wales have risen or fallen during dodgers regime

-------------

Posted By: aber-fan
Date Posted: 26 February 2015 at 8:39am

Gatland's comments regarding his future are very telling. There's no doubt that the cosy relationship that Lewis and the union had with the BBC and Western Mail deflected or diluted a hell of a lot of the criticism that would have ordinarily come Gatland's way.
Don't get me wrong, Gatland has, on the whole, been exceptionally successful, but if you accept the plaudits when things go right, you must also accept criticism when they don't. Compare him to an England football manager who is dealt with depending on how they have performed in the latest tournament and Gatland has got off easily.

I think that anyone - player, coach or even CEO ought to be judged on their entire record and not have the nice bits enhanced and the rest airbrushed away as has been the case with Roger Lewis. Yes, he reduced the debt but at a needless cost. Why be proud that you're overpaying the mortgage when you feed the family bread and water? Why be proud that the international team is winning a championship when your grass roots teams are going bust? Why be proud that you're developing world class players who then ply their trade in another country?

Agree 100% with your comments on Lewis. He could have been regarded as a great leader of the WRU - instead, he chose to pay the bankers instead of negotiating a method of providing rugby below national level with adequate funding.

As for Gatland - overall, he's done a good job for the national team. I feel, though - as I've said before - that most coaches reach a point where staleness creeps in and they become less effective. I don't think Gatland should be shipped out just because Lewis has gone though - it's a results business - if Wales do well in the rest of the 6N and RWC, then keep him. If not - see if the WRU can negotiate a severance package which is not too costly.

-------------
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)

Date Posted: 26 February 2015 at 9:38am
Expecting a bit of context and balance from the media shouldn't be too much of an ask really, unfortunately in Wales though it is.

The sacking of Gareth Jenkins is seen as a required ruthlessness and something Roger had to do, no mention of the way in which it was done.

Then there's the genius of getting Gatland, grand slams and 6 nations titles are great achievements but should really be measured against the backdrop of where the players came from, the access Gatland got to them compared to his predecessors, the fact that Gatland got to pick his own backroom staff (Gyppo was given Rowland Phillips as defence coach) and has everything he wants. Also was it sensible to make him the best paid coach in the world on a 6 year deal? Was Roger the original deal maker? Would any other CEO have got his man?

Abbey's analogy of the debt sums it up, plus the debenture issues remain - wonder if anything came of the threat of legal action over the world cup tickets?

Things like awful TV contracts, failing to sell out the MS on countless occasions, making international tickets unaffordable to many, very harsh return ticket policies with local clubs, making grants extremely difficult for clubs to get their hands on (unless you're local club also happens to be Roger or Phillips local club), more EGM's than any reasonable company would expect, your Chairman getting the boot because as said by several clubs he was the nearest they could get to getting rid of Roger (didn't Paul Turner say we shouldn't rest until Roger goes too?), the restructuring shambles of the leagues, losing the BT sponsorship deal for the MS, 5punking millions on the hospitality refurb and 3 times as much as anyone else on a pitch, being a big part of the civil war in Welsh rugby, the whole 'dignified silence', the 'I don't do financials', the dig at Gerald, that BBC show shambles, I could go on, and on.

Anyway cracking job Roger, pick your highlights and we'll print 'em.

Date Posted: 26 February 2015 at 9:42am
Some cracking posts in this thread.

Date Posted: 26 February 2015 at 1:34pm
From today's issue of The Breakdown by Paul Rees in the Guardian:

CHANGE AT THE TOP IN WALES

The Welsh Rugby Union this week announced that its chief executive, Roger Lewis, who is also the CEO of the Millennium Stadium,  http://click.mail.theguardian.com/?qs=8a83d36f1da82e1450cf37cfa239905846a64ac6be4e50fe559ae921cbf6955c" rel="nofollow - would be standing down in October after nine years in charge . There was no media conference, only an email of a few hundred words that pointed out a list of achievements.

You would have thought, especially given the gushing reaction in some of the Welsh media to news that was overdue, that a media conference for a man who had, some said, delivered grand slams and driven down the WRU’s debt was the least he merited, an opportunity to bask in the glow of friendly questions.

Except some would have been more awkward. Such as did the chief executive jump or was he pushed? His departure was decided in January after a meeting of the board of directors when they made it clear they were looking to move in a different direction. Lewis’s time was up. It was tantamount to a vote of no confidence and the only question was when he went: before the start of the Six Nations, at the end of the tournament or through to the World Cup?

His final day will be on 31 October, when the World Cup final will be played at Twickenham, but it would be no surprise if he had not found himself on gardening leave by then. If he is still in office, he no longer has the power and influence he once wielded, the inevitable outcome of last year’s election of board members by clubs.

David Pickering, the WRU chairman throughout Lewis’s tenure, was voted out as a national representative. He was replaced by the former Wales outside-half Gareth Davies, then the chief executive of Newport Gwent Dragons, and a vacancy created the retirement of Gerald Davies, whose valedictory speech to the clubs at an annual general meeting called earlier in the year lamented the low esteem in which Wales were held throughout the rugby world, was filled by another ex-international, Anthony Buchanan.

Pickering and Lewis had a close working relationship, but when Gareth Davies was elected as chairman, armed with a mandate by the clubs who, while acknowledging the progress made by Wales since Gatland had been appointed head coach at the end of 2007, were concerned at the deteriorating state of the game in the levels below: the shop window may have looked good but the state of the stockroom demanded attention.

Davies has taken that mandate on. There was a jockeying for power initially but he stood firm as chairman, winning the battle to have  http://click.mail.theguardian.com/?qs=8a83d36f1da82e142983654e4caee43f8ac668611b916b393464052c3c7d6249" rel="nofollow - Gerald Davies’s name put forward  as the WRU’s recommendation for the post of chairman of the Guinness Pro12. A board that under Pickering’s chairmanship had found it difficult to stand up to Lewis found its voice.

Gareth Davies and Lewis had been on the opposite sides during a television debate at the start of last year over the state of the game in Wales, in particular the failure of the WRU to agree a partnership deal with its four regions who feared they were being shoved towards financial doom.

The regions had taken to social media to press their case, believing that most of the established media in Wales were unwilling to jeopardise their relationship with the WRU, something that led to a lack of accountability. Gareth Davies and Lewis were never going to get on with the former not just behind the regions but committed to addressing the concerns of the grassroots and building trust.

The elite side of the game has prospered under Lewis who, not unreasonably, saw the international game as the financial driver but Wales is one of the few countries in the world that can lay claim to rugby union as its national sport. One of the concerns of the regions during their long standoff with the WRU was that they wanted to be able to get involved in the game in their areas to help it and them grow but they were, to be euphemistic, discouraged.

That is changing under Gareth Davies. This week’s email announcement contained a short tribute to Lewis from him. It was said in victory. The WRU has lost a chief executive with a remarkable gift for publicity and a huge capacity for work but who was not comfortable around the table negotiating with those who held a contrary view to his. Welsh rugby will be duller without him but his legacy of a strong top and a weaker middle and bottom must not be an enduring one.

If you don't already receive The Breakdown by email every Thursday, I recommend signing up for it:

To subscribe to the Breakdown,  http://click.mail.theguardian.com/?qs=8a83d36f1da82e14fc9499133bbc3ff0bf3ddfcea8cdf91e3e9835d9cb089224" rel="nofollow - just visit this page , find “The Breakdown” and follow the instructions

Date Posted: 26 February 2015 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by NobbySosban NobbySosban wrote:

His departure was decided in January after a meeting of the board of directors when they made it clear they were looking to move in a different direction. Lewis’s time was up. It was tantamount to a vote of no confidence

Interesting stuff.

Date Posted: 26 February 2015 at 1:38pm
And this somewhat hastily thrown-together piece on the investigative site WalesEye:

http://walespolitico.uk/waleseye/rogered/" rel="nofollow - Posted on  http://walespolitico.uk/waleseye/rogered/" rel="nofollow -  by  http://walespolitico.uk/waleseye/author/waleseye/" rel="nofollow -

Amid all the fawning adulation of Welsh Rugby Union (WRU) chief executive Roger Lewis, Wales Eye thought the facts should be presented.Mr Lewis said the time was “right” to step down “after a remarkable period”.

It has certainly been remarkable. 

He tried to muzzle the media to stop the truth coming out. He has presided over an organisation where ticket prices are beyond the reach of many ordinary rugby fans, but officials refuse to lower them nearer kick-off.

A huge civil war between professional rugby clubs erupted during his tenure, and a vicious row put the WRU at loggerheads with the grassroots game.

Mr Lewis is, in short, one of the most controversial figures in world rugby.

But he is not known for his modesty. In one interview Mr Lewis said:  “I know my success is staggering to many…”

He is keenly interested in the performance of the national team and the image that projects, but is rarely seen attending any matches of the four regions where the success rate in recent seasons has been miserable.

In July 2013, Wales Eye were prevented from publishing a full profile of Mr Lewis following the threat of legal action (see  http://t.co/NDifv7bzQg" rel="nofollow - Soon after, we revealed how the small independent website and TV station, Rebecca television, were accused by him and other senior executives at the WRU of libel for giving details about a documentary on the financial affairs of the then chairman David Pickering (see  http://t.co/aLeEGpYHyq" rel="nofollow - CONTROVERSIES

Wales Eye have also been at the forefront of revelations about how thousands of emParc y Scarletseats at the Millennium stadium were shown around the world during key rugby internationals involving Wales, after giving details of how fans could not afford sky-high ticket prices (see  http://t.co/eICvWkgS7a" rel="nofollow - One life-long fan, businessman Neil Gregory, has followed the Wales team all over the world and calculates he has provided the WRU with more than £20,000. This, he suggests, many others may have paid over two or three decades supporting the team through thick and thin. He told Wales Eye he found the sight of so many emParc y Scarletseats at the stadium incredibly dispiriting.

“It makes my blood boil,” he said. “This money could go towards supporting grass-roots rugby in Wales. They should fill the seats by Dutch auction (where ticket prices become cheaper as kick-off approaches)or even circulate unsold tickets to schools 36 hours before the games to inspire kids.

“Pictures of swathes of emParc y Scarletseats being beamed across the world inspire no one and they certainly won’t be supportive of the boys in red either.”

The backdrop to these controversies is the civil wars which have erupted between the WRU and rugby clubs in Wales. One row focused on the demand for important players to receive ‘central’ contracts at the union, not with their professional rugby regions.

The regions had complained about the wages they were forced to pay their star players who became injured but were usually fit for six nations games. Yet they baulked at the level of control demanded by the WRU. The argument simmered for several years as the details were thrashed out.

Wales Eye revealed how at one stage the four Welsh regions were even planning to go it alone (see  http://t.co/xTYt5yNZiz" rel="nofollow - The bitterness between the regions and the union became so bad that Cardiff castle not the Millennium stadium was being hired to present details to the media before a key game (see  http://t.co/5XRxRLed7U" rel="nofollow - INPUT

Another row focused on a reorganisation of the grassroots game and the perceived mismanagement by the WRU. Clubs felt they were effectively presented with the plans to shake up the game and had little input.

But there were problems at the national level too.

The former Wales team manager Gareth Jenkins was unceremoniously sacked, and just before Mr Lewis was controversially filmed talking sternly to him in a French car park.

Mr Lewis was a producer at Radio One in the 1970s, working on the execrable summer roadshow programme. But he is “proud” of his achievements.

At a personal level his vanity is notable. When he arrived at the WRU in 2006 he wore glasses. Yet he was happy to tell people how he went to a top Harley Street doctor for laser surgery on his eyes so he would not have to wear them.

Through it all though, Mr Lewis has gone from strength to strength. He heads the South East Wales Economic forum and is believed to harbour political ambitions.

But of course the success of Mr Lewis is staggering to many.

Posted By: minded
Date Posted: 26 February 2015 at 1:43pm
Paul Rees' breakdown was more of an interesting read i feel, and free too!
Quote The Welsh Rugby Union this week announced that its chief executive, Roger Lewis, who is also the CEO of the Millennium Stadium, http://click.mail.theguardian.com/?qs=d8792c0a34e637b3c29d69cfbca1a7c472266c7e3025d9a661737f64ab971261" rel="nofollow - would be standing down in October after nine years in charge . There was no media conference, only an email of a few hundred words that pointed out a list of achievements.

You would have thought, especially given the gushing reaction in some of the Welsh media to news that was overdue, that a media conference for a man who had, some said, delivered grand slams and driven down the WRU’s debt was the least he merited, an opportunity to bask in the glow of friendly questions.

Except some would have been more awkward. Such as did the chief executive jump or was he pushed? His departure was decided in January after a meeting of the board of directors when they made it clear they were looking to move in a different direction. Lewis’s time was up. It was tantamount to a vote of no confidence and the only question was when he went: before the start of the Six Nations, at the end of the tournament or through to the World Cup?

His final day will be on 31 October, when the World Cup final will be played at Twickenham, but it would be no surprise if he had not found himself on gardening leave by then. If he is still in office, he no longer has the power and influence he once wielded, the inevitable outcome of last year’s election of board members by clubs.

David Pickering, the WRU chairman throughout Lewis’s tenure, was voted out as a national representative. He was replaced by the former Wales outside-half Gareth Davies, then the chief executive of Newport Gwent Dragons, and a vacancy created the retirement of Gerald Davies, whose valedictory speech to the clubs at an annual general meeting called earlier in the year lamented the low esteem in which Wales were held throughout the rugby world, was filled by another ex-international, Anthony Buchanan.

Pickering and Lewis had a close working relationship, but when Gareth Davies was elected as chairman, armed with a mandate by the clubs who, while acknowledging the progress made by Wales since Gatland had been appointed head coach at the end of 2007, were concerned at the deteriorating state of the game in the levels below: the shop window may have looked good but the state of the stockroom demanded attention.

Davies has taken that mandate on. There was a jockeying for power initially but he stood firm as chairman, winning the battle to have http://click.mail.theguardian.com/?qs=d8792c0a34e637b339cfaf52555824318707e9a690b139efd197868cb38680fb" rel="nofollow - Gerald Davies’s name put forward as the WRU’s recommendation for the post of chairman of the Guinness Pro12. A board that under Pickering’s chairmanship had found it difficult to stand up to Lewis found its voice.

Gareth Davies and Lewis had been on the opposite sides during a television debate at the start of last year over the state of the game in Wales, in particular the failure of the WRU to agree a partnership deal with its four regions who feared they were being shoved towards financial doom.

The regions had taken to social media to press their case, believing that most of the established media in Wales were unwilling to jeopardise their relationship with the WRU, something that led to a lack of accountability. Gareth Davies and Lewis were never going to get on with the former not just behind the regions but committed to addressing the concerns of the grassroots and building trust.

The elite side of the game has prospered under Lewis who, not unreasonably, saw the international game as the financial driver but Wales is one of the few countries in the world that can lay claim to rugby union as its national sport. One of the concerns of the regions during their long standoff with the WRU was that they wanted to be able to get involved in the game in their areas to help it and them grow but they were, to be euphemistic, discouraged.

That is changing under Gareth Davies. This week’s email announcement contained a short tribute to Lewis from him. It was said in victory. The WRU has lost a chief executive with a remarkable gift for publicity and a huge capacity for work but who was not comfortable around the table negotiating with those who held a contrary view to his. Welsh rugby will be duller without him but his legacy of a strong top and a weaker middle and bottom must not be an enduring one.

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPLe3ApXjW4&list=PL576FE48C1F044909&index=1" rel="nofollow - Scarlets Tries of the Season 2009 - 2019

Date Posted: 26 February 2015 at 3:35pm
My own reverential appreciation of Roger Lewis:

http://t.co/FbFvbCUTgB" rel="nofollow - - wp.me/p54ceP-6 - hiring the 'best coach in the world'; strong, sustained international success; financial prudence - while never really understanding the choices the WRU made in paying back the bank debts rather than reinvesting in a period of record low interest rates.

It's a moot point whether the Wales triumphs could have been produced without the Union's undivided focus on the elite game, but to my mind, stronger foundations and a successful, winning mentality at pro level could only have further strengthened the international squad, and arguably kept more players in Wales.

For that reason, I believe there will always be a massive question mark over his divisive and destruction strategy which, ultimately, failed. His real legacy will be decided by the next generation which he willfully chose not to invest in.

Arrivederci, Rog.

Date Posted: 26 February 2015 at 4:22pm

do you know if playing numbers across wales have risen or fallen during dodgers regime
I got that bit mun. Smile

Just didn't understand its context with this subthread.  However, my guess would be that numbers have gone down overall. But that is just a gut feeling.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 February 2015 at 10:26pm
Hhands up who'd buy a second hand car , or even a second hand car seat cover from our great leader?

-------------

Posted By: John
Date Posted: 27 February 2015 at 4:00pm

Hhands up who'd buy a second hand car , or even a second hand car seat cover from our great leader?

The thing is: up to now he has just been in charge of rugby. What happens if he really does harbour wider political ambitions?

Date Posted: 27 February 2015 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by John John wrote:

The thing is: up to now he has just been in charge of rugby. What happens if he really does harbour wider political ambitions?
sacre bleur could he become the welsh tony bliar?

-------------

Posted By: salmidach
Date Posted: 27 February 2015 at 4:13pm
he's currently the south-east wales economic guru isn't he? basically his job is to make cardiff richer and leave the rest behind.

Date Posted: 27 February 2015 at 4:28pm
I did have a quick look through the document they produced for that, I may have missed something but it just looked like a sales brochure.

Heading that up whilst having a full time CEO job must mean he's working all hours, the guys a legend.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net