Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Scarlets squad retention and leavers 2016

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scarlets squad retention and leavers 2016
    Posted: 29 November 2016 at 1:06pm
http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/scarlets-coach-wayne-pivac-reveals-latest-on-big-name-transfer-talks/story-29942937-detail/story.html

Quote SCARLETS head coach Wayne Pivac says he is confident of keeping skipper Ken Owens at the region amid speculation linking the Wales hooker with a move to the Aviva Premiership.

Owens is one of a number of key Scarlets players out of contract at the end of the season and a Sunday newspaper has claimed that Worcester are keen to lure him away from West Wales.

Negotiations with the 29-year-old, who won his 45th cap for Wales against the Springboks last weekend, have been put on hold during the autumn international series.

But Pivac has revealed he will sit down and speak to Owens, who has come through the academy ranks in Llanelli, next week.

"Ken is one we have left alone for obvious reasons because he has been in international camp," said the New Zealander.

"Ken is getting a well-earned break this week and then we will be sitting down with Ken next week to discuss what we do going forward.

"He is the captain of the side so we would like to think he won't be going too far."

Kiwi centre Hadleigh Parkes is another out of contract and another attracting interest elsewhere.

"Hadleigh is the captain when Ken is away and we would like to think he is not going too far as well," said Pivac.

Meanwhile, Pivac has spoken for the first time since reports emerged that Liam Williams has decided to leave the region and join English giants Saracens.

No official comment has come from either the West Walians or Saracens since the news broke that the Wales international was joining the European champions on a two-year deal next summer.

The Scarlets held a press conference on Tuesday morning to preview Saturday's Guinness Pro12 clash with Zebre.

And when questioned about Williams's future, Pivac said: "There is no change. As we have said before, he has had the internationals to worry about, but I am sure when that decision is made 100 per cent in terms of staying or going you will be the first to know.

"We certainly won't be holding back once things are sorted."

Asked if he was concerned by the definite nature of the reports, the New Zealander added: "No, not at all. I am just concerned about what Liam tells me so I am comfortable with where things are at."

Pivac was then asked how much of a loss Williams would be to the squad.

He said: "I haven't thought down that line, to be honest," before adding: "but we do have Johnny McNicholl here."

Edited by KID A - 29 November 2016 at 1:17pm
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!
Sponsored Links

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2016 at 1:31pm
Interesting interview with Pivac. Doesn't seem that Liam's is a done deal yet. He also commented on returning players & injuries. The facts are : Ken, Scott rested; Liam ankle injury doesn't sound long term; Bulbring shoulder may need surgery. Jake, Foxy, Samson & Cawdor all up for selection for saturday. Barclay being assessed, no mention made of DTH. 
Sosban89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2016 at 2:43pm
I 100% want to see Hadleigh stay. He is a beast and so consistent.

In terms of Ken, my emotions are mixed. I've seen his performances from 2 years ago when I thought he was by far the best hooker in the UK, whereas now I don't see him stand out much, even in the regional scene. We also have two very very good hookers, one of which could be the future of welsh rugby. Could be a good decision to not re-sign him given the wages (unless NDC) and build with the other 2.
s.pimpernel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
A.F.K.A.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s.pimpernel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2016 at 2:45pm
So in respect of Sanjay, either the media is lying or The Scarlets are lying.
In Pivac we trust
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2016 at 2:55pm
I think we know  that it's respecting the confidentiality and timing of any announcement and tidying up matters bearing in mind Liam wi be here until the end of the season anyway - He isn't leaving tomorrow. 
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2016 at 2:59pm
[QUOTE=s.pimpernel]So in respect of Sanjay, either the media is lying or The Scarlets are lying.[/QUOT

Well it seems that way. Pivac is categorically stating that he believes only what Sanjay is telling him & at the moment Sanjay is not telling him that he is definitely going to sign for Saracens. I, for one, believe it is the media lying or lets say being misleading. Undoubtedly they are in for him that is clear. 

On another transfer point it appears that George Ford has triggered his release clause & will be leaving Bath next Summer. He has been strongly linked with Sale who have stated that they could afford his reported £600,000 P.A. wages. If that is true Sanjay at £375k is a snip!!!!
Micro Duck View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Micro Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2016 at 3:04pm
Pivac is batting off a question which he doesn't want to answer.

When you have a situation where Sanjay is liking a tweet from another player, welcoming him to Saracens, then it is unlikely that the rumour is baseless, and naive to believe he's staying.
New KALAMAFONI - BEAST MODE t-shirt now available online.

Plus a new 'Sosban Fach Scoundrels' range.

Paste the link below into your URL:
https://llanelli.teemill.com/
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2016 at 3:12pm
Or the tweet was all banter that's been blown out of proportion!
ExileTom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExileTom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2016 at 3:58pm
Is it still the case that a player can't sign for another club until he has less than 6 months left on his current deal? If so it may be that Sanjay has signed a pre-contract witj the Sarries, which Pivac is hoping he can persuade him not to honour? Genuine question, although I'm convinced he's made his mind up already.
salmidach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salmidach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2016 at 4:32pm
or

he can't say anything at the moment anyway.

plus he's in London at the Ritz with his Girlfriend, injury can't be that bad then....

Edited by salmidach - 29 November 2016 at 4:34pm
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance - Terry Pratchett
Sandman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2016 at 4:44pm
Ken's performances and leadership over the last 2 seasons have been nothing to write home about. Both Phillips and Elias seem more than able deputies. However, if Ken were to regain his more than capable form, he'd be a massive asset to us. On the balance of it, I hope he stays.
Only one team plays in red. (Sorry, Scarlet)
Sosban bach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2016 at 5:18pm
Where he says parkes is captain when Ken is away isn't Scott vice captain? More than happy having parkes as captain, being a Welsh speaker is no reason to have him as a captain ffs! I think keeping parkes is a must tbh, can see steff Hughes becoming a Welsh parkes.
knutsfordlion View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knutsfordlion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2016 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by Micro Duck Micro Duck wrote:

Pivac is batting off a question which he doesn't want to answer.

When you have a situation where Sanjay is liking a tweet from another player, welcoming him to Saracens, then it is unlikely that the rumour is baseless, and naive to believe he's staying.
My initial reaction to Sanjay going was, good luck to him, etc etc.

Since then I have had a re think, and believe it will not do his prospects much good at all.

The way he plays means he will always be open to injuries.
With this in mind, being on a NDC will offer him a certain degree of protection, due to the limits on the games played for us (around 16 I believe.?)

If he goes to Sarries, they will have no issue in playing him when fit, with no obligation to rest him.
That would mean 22 League, 6 European pool games as a bare minimum. Throw into the mix play off and semi finals etc, then you are going well over the 30 mark.

I admit that he will be away with Wales for a certain number of those, however they will still be way over the 16 on a NDC.

This will leave him open to the chance of injury, and that could potentially rule him out of Wales duty, so the kudos and financial benefits of International rugby will be lost to him.

Just a thought, however I guess he will still go as the lure of silverware may be too much?

Would be great though if he stayed at the place that gave him his rugby opportunities, and try and win silverware with the Scarlets !!
Page the oracle
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2016 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by salmidach salmidach wrote:

or

he can't say anything at the moment anyway.

plus he's in London at the Ritz with his Girlfriend, injury can't be that bad then....
the south African pundit on Saturday for wales game who plays for sarries said they were looking forward to him coming there.
PTScarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PTScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2016 at 6:23pm
Liam deal has been done and we all know that. Pivac knows it too but it would be unprofessional of him to announce it.
I would like to see Jonny given a chance at FB once DTH is back on the wing, rumour had it that's where Pivac sees him as a straight replacement for Sanjay. I just hope we don't go through the whole North saga at the end of the season where he just couldn't be bothered, I highly doubt it as Its impossible for Liam to give less than 100%!
As for Parkes, I hope he stays because he is vital to our back line even more so when the internationals are away. And with Ken then i think Worcester would be a move in the wrong direction for him!!
One eyed turk, nothing more nothing less.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2016 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by s.pimpernel s.pimpernel wrote:

So in respect of Sanjay, either the media is lying or The Scarlets are lying.

Not necessarily.

I have absolutely no idea if Sanjay has signed anything - however, this is a possible scenario:

Sanjay's agent wants to get him the best possible deal for the next 2-3 seasons.
He agrees a deal with Saracens, but nothing is signed (or, maybe, a non-binding pre-contract).
Agent leaks the amount to be paid to the press, in an attempt to drive up any counter-offer from the Scarlets (with or without a NDC)... with nothing definite as yet.

In this scenario, the agent is doing his job (if a bit sneakily), the press are reporting what they've been told (honestly, if inaccurately), and the Scarlets are simply stating a fact - that they haven't been told anything definite.

Life often comes in shades of grey (if not 50). 

I suspect he'll go, but players have back-tracked on supposed deals in the past. We'll see.

“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic