Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > OTHER SPORTS
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Phil Hughes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haydn_davies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Phil Hughes
    Posted: 27 November 2014 at 7:33am
Such terribly sad news coming from Australia this morning with the news about cricketer Phil Hughes passing away overnight.

Such tragic news that someone should lose their life by playing a sport they love.

Condolences to his family, friends and teammates - which I'm sure will be quite traumatised by what happened to Phil.

Thoughts with Sean Abbott too, I'm sure the guy is devastated by what's happened.
Think, think, think - it's a thinking man's game!! - The Great Carwyn James.
Sponsored Links

dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2014 at 8:10am
A terrible freak accident.

There are risks in cricket, of course, but no one could have predicted this.
Iwlew View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iwlew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2014 at 11:14am
Shocking news
And We Were Singing...
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2014 at 11:43am
Banning bouncers next? Hopefully no knee jerk reaction to this tragic incident. What do legislators do? ban balls above say chest height and if you default you get sent off or binned for an hour or something? Trouble is what if batsman gets hit in the chest and gets heart attack and tragedly dies ? do you then have rules which say nothing above waist hight? very tricky and of course when bowling at speed the ball can veer up etc unintentionally.
Although,  lets face it the idea of short pitched bowling for 60 years has been to softenup/intiminate a batsman to get him out, so arguably in the modern era it could be seen as akin to foul play that should be barred in the modern professional era? Better/stronger helmets? I do also feel sorry for the bowler for when he bowls his next bouncer...more problems than answers to me ..Confused
Iwlew View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iwlew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2014 at 12:46pm
This was a rare accident, do'nt think they will ban bouncers as it's a part of the bowling game. Yes you have to feel for Abbot, he may even retire over this.
And We Were Singing...
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2014 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by Iwlew Iwlew wrote:

This was a rare accident, do'nt think they will ban bouncers as it's a part of the bowling game. Yes you have to feel for Abbot, he may even retire over this.
I suppose unlike a lot of sports a bowler is actually trying to hit/hurt the batsman in short pitching to rattle him not aim for the stumps -its just the traditional battle over many years. Obviously, he is not trying to cause serious injury or god help him death but is it similar to a high tackle/spear tackle in rugby or tackle from behind on soccer that might merit a red card or similar? it would change the game if it were considered foul play ..I think better helmets in the back have been mooted for when you turn away from a nasty bouncer. We shall find out anyway.
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2014 at 2:52pm
Such a tragic accident, he was a top player and a very popular character too. With their immense talent and enthusiasm Aussie cricketers tend to be larger than life. The reports say there's only been 1 similar tragedy such as this, where the ball evaded the helmet and struck the batsmans head and the player died. All I'd hope comes out of it, is to re-examine the helmets and all the protective gear cricketers wear. That ball is like a slab of concrete hurtling at you at 85 miles an hour, maximize the safety of all equipment. However I don't foresee any further rule changes limiting the bowlers options. Many of the tributes are moving , this 1 in particular shows the human side of the man too

Nick Compton, England batsman played with Hughes during a spell with Sydney's Western Suburbs side and lived with him in London. Before news of Hughes' death, he wrote a blog for CNN on his friend.  

"A strong, energetic person, he has transformed much of my thinking about the game - and even my life," Compton wrote. 

"He was carefree yet deeply focused and hungry; I loved being around all that energy.

"When we lived together in London and I was knocking around the flat - getting stressed about something or the other - it would be his arm around my shoulder, saying 'you just got to enjoy it, bro' accompanied by a trademark grin."

Compton tweeted today "Cuz I miss you so much, never has someone had such an impact on my life, my career, my outlook. devastated and upset. Love you bro."

Edited by roy munster - 27 November 2014 at 2:54pm
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2014 at 4:12pm

Great story Roy .

What an absolute tragedy RIP Phil
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2014 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by 157cb 157cb wrote:

Great story Roy .

What an absolute tragedy RIP Phil
Seconded.

Also, Sean Abbott should be given as much support and sympathy as needed.

Good on Cricket Australia for stopping all the Sheffield Shield matches. No one would really have their minds on the job.

Helmet manufacturer said he wasn't wearing the most up to date model. Not sure if that was issued by the sales director or their PR dept. Whatever the detail, it reminds us that life and sport aren't risk free no matter how good you are.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2014 at 8:04am
Terrible news - RIP Phil Hughes.

I'm not sure if any sort of helmet could have prevented this, as he was hit on the neck, apparently. I don't think a rigid helmet could be worn in that position as it would compromise the batsman's ability to move - just possibly, a softer material like a thick bandage/bubble wrap could be used, though I have my doubts that it would be practical.

Most sports carry some risks - this seems like a freak accident, as far as I know - deaths in cricket must be pretty rare, surely? And not so long ago, helmets didn't exist - so I can't see bouncers being banned. Let's just hope it doesn't happen again.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2014 at 1:23pm
Google Australia tribute this morning in response to #PuOutYourBats

Turkish Fez View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turkish Fez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2014 at 8:58pm
Such a tragedy felt across the Commonwealth Sporting world.
More by luck than judgement there has been no fatalities in Pro rugby with the 'car crashes' that happen.
We all had Doctor's papers!
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2014 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by Turkish Fez Turkish Fez wrote:

Such a tragedy felt across the Commonwealth Sporting world.
More by luck than judgement there has been no fatalities in Pro rugby with the 'car crashes' that happen.

I know this is a side track to the thread, for which I apologise, but the elephant in the room here is concussion, and the long-term impact of that upon players' mental health and well-being. This translocates several sports also, irrespective of head protection options (see NFL).
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic