Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Old rumour

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurkQuay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2019 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by tannerbankboy tannerbankboy wrote:

Originally posted by TurkQuay TurkQuay wrote:

Originally posted by ScarletBear ScarletBear wrote:

Nothing malicious, just something I recalled today and I don't know if there is any substance to it.

I used to go to Stradey as a kid with my father in the 70s (such lovely memories - sob). Anyway, I remember him and his friends mentioned several times that Gareth Edwards never liked to come to play in Llanelli for whatever reason.

Is anyone else aware of this or was it just some local chatter? If so was it true? I'd love to see the stats. Or as I expect, when at one point he was the world's greatest player, total and utter nonsense.  I just can't remember seeing him play there.

Gareth Edwards played at least 8 times at Stradey Park - http://cardiffrfc.com/fixtures-and-results

That's an impressive Cardiff website. Results going back to the 1800's. Puts our to shame that's for sure.

Yes, it's fantastic, fair play to them. It's a shame the Scarlets don't do the same. Our website is an embarrassment, with only last years results and no historic results, which is a disgrace. 
Sponsored Links

TurkQuay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurkQuay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2019 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by Rob o'r Bont Rob o'r Bont wrote:

Nothing malicious, just something I recalled today and I don't know if there is any substance to it.

I used to go to Stradey as a kid with my father in the 70s (such lovely memories - sob). Anyway, I remember him and his friends mentioned several times that Gareth Edwards never liked to come to play in Llanelli for whatever reason.

Is anyone else aware of this or was it just some local chatter? If so was it true? I'd love to see the stats. Or as I expect, when at one point he was the world's greatest player, total and utter nonsense.  I just can't remember seeing him play there.

Gareth Edwards played at least 8 times at Stradey Park - http://cardiffrfc.com/fixtures-and-results

That's an impressive Cardiff website. Results going back to the 1800's. Puts our to shame that's for sure.
Not sure how accurate it is mind.

My daughter was born on the 9th October 1993, 15 minutes before Llanelli took the field against Cardiff at the Arms Park.  But the site shows the game being played on the 2nd October 1993??

The match programme says Llanelli played away to Cardiff on the 2nd October.

Llanelli played away to Bedford on the 9th October 1993 (and lost).

LLANDRE View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LLANDRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2019 at 6:07pm
Before my time but I think Barry John dropped  four drop goals for Cardiff against us on one occasion. 
West is Best (Fin gwybod)
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2019 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by LLANDRE LLANDRE wrote:

Before my time but I think Barry John dropped  four drop goals for Cardiff against us on one occasion. 

Yes I was there as an 8 year old in the Arms Park in 1970 it was, Jiffy did the same for Neath against us in a Cup Match at Gnoll during the middle 80s .

There was something in that Gareth Edwards tale he rarely played at Stradey .
Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2019 at 1:59pm

Originally posted by Rob o'r Bont Rob o'r Bont wrote:

Not sure how accurate it is mind.

My daughter was born on the 9th October 1993, 15 minutes before Llanelli took the field against Cardiff at the Arms Park.  But the site shows the game being played on the 2nd October 1993??

The match programme says Llanelli played away to Cardiff on the 2nd October.

Llanelli played away to Bedford on the 9th October 1993 (and lost).

Well Well, I've been living in a parallel universe for the last 25 years. Shocked

If the baby had been born an hour earlier, I had planned to skip down from the Heath and watch the game.  Just as well I hadn't managed it now. Smile
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Grammar School Boy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grammar School Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2019 at 7:20pm

Maybe Al Gore didn't invent the internet..Smile
TurkQuay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurkQuay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2019 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by 157cb 157cb wrote:

Originally posted by LLANDRE LLANDRE wrote:

Yes I was there as an 8 year old in the Arms Park in 1970 it was, Jiffy did the same for Neath against us in a Cup Match at Gnoll during the middle 80s .

There was something in that Gareth Edwards tale he rarely played at Stradey .

Only 8 times. 

stradeyscarlet72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stradeyscarlet72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2019 at 2:52pm
Gareth was THE big match player - he only played 12-18 matches a season - in the days when clubs would have 45/47 fixtures per season .  I saw him play at Stradey and in his last match in Nov 77 he was brilliant . Selwyn was our scrum half for many years and never had the recognition he deserved - but then he was up against the greatest scrum half of all time . 
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2019 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

I don't know about the great Gareth, but I do remember 'king' Barry John being given a hard afternoon at Stradey - by his brothers Clive and Alan, playing 6 and 7!
I was on the 2001 lions tour to Australia and spent 3 1/2 fantastic weeks with barry and jj Williams as our tour leaders,i asked barry who was the hardest player you played against and he said my brother clive when I came back to play at stradey with Cardiff.LOL

He wasn't lying - Clive was a superb wing forward, and would have been capped for sure but for a career-ending injury. Alan wasn't bad, either.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2019 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

I was told that barry ran them ragged and they couldn’t put a hand on him? Can any of our more mature posters shed more light on this?

Not in the match I saw, for sure - maybe in another game - the one people have mentioned at the Arms Park, perhaps?
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic