Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nick Tompkins

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 23>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knutsfordlion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nick Tompkins
    Posted: 19 January 2020 at 8:47pm
With the Saracens squad being cut down, let's offer Nick Tompkins a contract.
Hadleigh and Foxy aren't getting any younger, and I suspect he would want to come to Wales now he is involved in the Wales squad?

I have seen a lot of his games, and he is a no nonsense player and would suit us perfectly.
Page the oracle
Sponsored Links

ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2020 at 8:50pm
The way our squad is building for next year, I can see Brad wanting to stay !
miaow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miaow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2020 at 9:01pm
Agree that he would be an ideal signing but - potentially - the timing isn't quite right.

I believe he still has a few years on his contract. Let's just say he is leaving anyway, I can see the Blues going after him, just for poos and giggles because that's how their recruitment works, and the Ospreys targeting him as well if they think Scott's never going to be a reliable option.

We definitely need a crashball/physical 12. Definitely. Ideally as a NWQ player because I can't see any Welsh players coming through in that mould. Someone to be what Fonotia was bought to be, unless Fonotia turns it around from now til the end of the season. But we have quite a few decent, tidy footballers who can attack well with ball in hand - Steff, Asquith, Baldwin etc.

I think he's more likely to walk straight in to the starting team at the Ospreys than with us or the Blues. Haloholo and Ray LeLo are a good pairing, and Foxy and Parkes is, at present, the starting pairing for Wales.

He'd be great to sign in 12 months time because we will probably be rotating Parkes out as first choice, Wales as well, and Foxy will be all guns blazing for the Lions as a last shot at the big time.  Within 6 months of joining (i.e. 2022) he could be our first choice centre, but you also have to factor in he's not really Welsh, and Cardiff is a much easier 'step' in to Wales and Welsh culture coming from London than West Wales is.

I think he'll go to the Ospreys and the Blues over us, but on pure rugby decisions, if he wants to come to the best region, he'd join us.
miaow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miaow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2020 at 9:03pm
Also important to add that if he does leave Saracens, whoever he joins will be a pretty big step down from what he's used to, even just in the little things behind the scenes.

I'm not sure there's going to be an exodus just yet. Not for players around his pay grade.
Micro Duck View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Micro Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2020 at 3:01pm
Pivac said that he'd approached him twice to play for the Scarlets. He was turned down twice.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2020 at 3:09pm
Way different circumstances now of course with Sarries issues, Foxy/Hadleigh getting older & him about to get capped.
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2020 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by Micro Duck Micro Duck wrote:

Pivac said that he'd approached him twice to play for the Scarlets. He was turned down twice.

You know what they say?  Third time lucky! 
miaow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miaow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2020 at 3:20pm
That was for Rowlands, the lock. Not Tompkins.
Rich (Bris) View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich (Bris) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2020 at 5:12pm
Sarries have said the won't stop anyone leaving and playing in the Championship would be the end of the start of his international career. So I'm sure he'll leave and then, as things stand and if I remember the details, he'll need to come to Cymru if there is an offer from a Region. Cardiff or us I'd say
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2020 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by miaow miaow wrote:

It was Tompkins as well. 
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2020 at 4:35am
A real value proposition if we could land him.

I'm a fan of a mature squad profile, but acknowledge that having our 3 first choice centers at 32 or older by this season end isn't ideal.

Having said that, it's also not ideal to have them all way with Team Wales either!
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2020 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

I'm a fan of a mature squad profile, but acknowledge that having our 3 first choice centers at 32 or older by this season end isn't ideal.

Having said that, it's also not ideal to have them all way with Team Wales either!

No, but if I understood right, we won't be paying our Wales players - and they would be available for the 'big' games.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2020 at 8:56am
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

No, but if I understood right, we won't be paying our Wales players - and they would be available for the 'big' games.

Only AWJ is paid 100% by WRU. But he is on a strict 10 game a season MAX as I understood it to try and guide him through to the next world cup.

Regions will pay 20% of a contract of an elite player - but this is on an annual basis. there will be points when a player wont be in the elite squad so his wages will then be taken fully on by the region.
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2020 at 8:56am
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Originally posted by miaow miaow wrote:

It was Tompkins as well. 
if we can land Tompkins it would be a major coup.
matt_george View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt_george Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2020 at 9:05am
Tompkins would be a great signing covers 12/13 and potentially available for the best part of a decade. Would be a great signing if we could pull it off.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2020 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Only AWJ is paid 100% by WRU. But he is on a strict 10 game a season MAX as I understood it to try and guide him through to the next world cup.

Regions will pay 20% of a contract of an elite player - but this is on an annual basis. there will be points when a player wont be in the elite squad so his wages will then be taken fully on by the region.

Thanks for the information.

Anyone who is in the squad all year is a snip at 20% of wages, but there are imponderables, apparently...
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 23>
  Share Topic