Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Laws being trialed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Laws being trialed
    Posted: 08 August 2019 at 3:27pm
Another week, another round of new laws to be trialed in the National Rugby Championship in Australia. These include:

• The already mentioned 50:22 kick & goal line drop out for the defending team if they 'hold up' opposition over the try line.
  • Height of a legal tackle reduced to the waist.
  • Tackle Infringement Limit, where a team will 'tot up' a number of infringements & when the limit is reached, the last offending player will be yellow carded.
Sponsored Links

gaffer View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2019 at 4:46pm
IMO most injuries/concussions occur at the breakdown not as a result of tackles (no figures to back this up but surely someone will be able to find out). The 'clearing out' at breakdowns needs to be addressed. The headfirst/shoulder charge to dislodge jackallers/guards is where a lot of damage is done. No hands at the breakdown (i.e. proper rucking where you drive over the ball to secure it) would be a far more effective way of reducing injuries - the waist high tackle will bring even more inconsistent refereeing and not really address the real problem.

Just my opinion like.

Edited by gaffer - 08 August 2019 at 4:47pm
What's going on?
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2019 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Another week, another round of new laws to be trialed in the National Rugby Championship in Australia. These include:

• The already mentioned 50:22 kick & goal line drop out for the defending team if they 'hold up' opposition over the try line.
  • Tackle Infringement Limit, where a team will 'tot up' a number of infringements & when the limit is reached, the last offending player will be yellow carded. 
Can we assume that the 'limit' refers to tackles above the waist ? Otherwise we could end up in the ridiculous situation where head high tackles are 'totted up' before a player gets a card !
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2019 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

• Tackle Infringement Limit, where a team will 'tot up' a number of infringements & when the limit is reached, the last offending player will be yellow carded. 
Can we assume that the 'limit' refers to tackles above the waist ? Otherwise we could end up in the ridiculous situation where head high tackles are 'totted up' before a player gets a card !

I'm afraid I don't know however when I first read it, I thought it was infringements around the tackle area such as hands in ruck, not rolling away.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2019 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by gaffer gaffer wrote:

IMO most injuries/concussions occur at the breakdown not as a result of tackles (no figures to back this up but surely someone will be able to find out). The 'clearing out' at breakdowns needs to be addressed. The headfirst/shoulder charge to dislodge jackallers/guards is where a lot of damage is done. No hands at the breakdown (i.e. proper rucking where you drive over the ball to secure it) would be a far more effective way of reducing injuries - the waist high tackle will bring even more inconsistent refereeing and not really address the real problem.

Just my opinion like.

I know what you're saying, however these have started to be looked at, neck rolls, contact with head at ruck etc. Most of the clear outs, where people are charging in tend to be hitting the jackler on the shoulder area, but I agree it's still an area where players are suffering injuries.
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2019 at 5:31pm

Originally posted by gaffer gaffer wrote:

Just my opinion like.

I know what you're saying, however these have started to be looked at, neck rolls, contact with head at ruck etc. Most of the clear outs, where people are charging in tend to be hitting the jackler on the shoulder area, but I agree it's still an area where players are suffering injuries.

The injuries may have arisen from general wear and tear, however I understand that 7 of the squad have had shoulder ops this year.
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2019 at 5:45pm
The following article clarifies the position, re the infringement limit. 

The 'infringement limit' refers to infringements in general, not tackle infringements. Infringements are totted up, with the aim of encouraging teams to infringe less.

I thought that the laws already covered this point, where referees warn captains that the next player will go to the bin. However my feeling is that this is a stick to beat refs with. Here's an example where a ref didn't enforce his warning

During our match against the O's at PyS last season, Tipuric was warned by NO second half. His words were 'this is your last final warning'. We kicked to the corner, and won the line out. 3-4 phases later Tipuric kicked the ball out of the ruck. NO gave a pen but no YC saying the Tipuric had 'slipped'.

Too often I feel, refs allow a team to infringe time and again. How many times have we seen games where a final warning is given. HT intervenes, and a team starts infringing all over again second half, where the ref seems to treat the second half as a different game.

Hope this enforces refs to bring out cards more of ten, and that someone on the sidelines will keep a count of the totting up.
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2019 at 6:04pm
Be offloads galore with that new tackle rule, would change things a lot. It would also make multi-tackles harder which are used against bigger men and crash ball tactics. I've seen 3 sometimes 4 men needed to stop players like Vanipolo on the charge. 

Counting penalties before a compulsory yellow seems a good one to me as it does address lack of consistency.

The 50:22 kick idea seems to push towards having more of a deep kicking game but the reality is we do already and this would force teams to kick for the lineout, bringing with it the risk of overkicking, and also keeping defending wingers back on the touchlines so more space. Combined with new tackles you would see a wider game - kicks for touch or running into the created space. More lineouts though like there used to be, although this can get boring. Has potential.
Mr Ian View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2019 at 6:49am
From September in all italian championships will be applicated 50.22 law...
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2019 at 7:38am
Originally posted by Mr Ian Mr Ian wrote:

From September in all italian championships will be applicated 50.22 law...
I really like the idea of that law, plus the lower tackle to waist height.

Here’s hoping they get approved.
Any offence taken on board is only a literate/cy consequence. Every attempt at humour is just that. No personal insult intended. Standards lowered for trolls.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic