Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > RUGBY ARCHIVE > B&I Lions 2021
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Lions 2021

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 50>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2021 at 8:28am
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

It looks like the lions will play in britain this year ,to me this is a total sell out of everything the lions is about and is just another money making excercise that cheapens the whole ethos.
I agree,ladram.I have to say too that Gatland as coach again is difficult to square with the traditional ethos.Even the Olympics was cancelled,and the whole point of the Lions is to tour.
Sponsored Links

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2021 at 8:46am
Originally posted by Dic Penderyn Dic Penderyn wrote:

Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

It looks like the lions will play in britain this year ,to me this is a total sell out of everything the lions is about and is just another money making excercise that cheapens the whole ethos.
I agree,ladram.I have to say too that Gatland as coach again is difficult to square with the traditional ethos.Even the Olympics was cancelled,and the whole point of the Lions is to tour.

Yes Dic Gatland and the Lions has never really sat well with me. Was lucky enough to go on the 1997 tour to South Africa with McGeechan & Telfer in charge. Real bunker mentality stoked by Telfer in the main. Not only did he wind up the playing squad he managed to wind up 30,000 travelling supporters. 
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2021 at 8:55am
Agreed fellas, we have tickets for the Japan match at Murrayfield but if they are playing the tour here it won't feel quite as special.
turkishrebel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2021 at 9:35am
lions are a touring team not a home team, if the south africans are coming over they should just play a test against each of the home nations at their grounds. 
sell out of fans. very poor
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!
EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2021 at 9:53am
I’d rather see it in a safe(-er) environment than not at all. It is a business decision and I have no doubt some of the magic will be taken away. Especially as Africa is the best timezone of all the tours so there is no getting up at 6am to watch it. I’m sure the South African team will be up for it. 
Be good if we could get some Midweek friendlies against british club sides though. Scarlets vs british and irish Lions anyone?Wink
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2021 at 10:43am
Given the current pandemic I think this is a fair option better than no lions tour  at all
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2021 at 11:26am
I agree RR.

Needs must at the end of the day.
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2021 at 12:28pm
Will their be any crowds? Where will they play?
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Jones2004 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2021 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

Will their be any crowds? Where will they play?
I suspect it will be wherever crowds are allowed (if it really is played in the British Isles). So if only England allow fans back all games in Twickenham - likewise with all the other nations. If fans are allowed back everywhere I suspect they’ll share the games around the 4 nations as much as possible (depending upon how many games there are). These are all just what I guess will happen and not based upon any extra knowledge before anyone asks.

Edited by Jones2004 - 05 March 2021 at 12:53pm
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2021 at 12:58pm
Where do the profits from a lions tour go? Is it to the home nations? If so if it is money making isn’t that a small price to pay and a bonus seeing as the money that’s been lost with no international crowds? People will be hungry for international rugby and the day out that goes with it around the country. They’ll be sold out games no question about that. I’d love to go (2025 is on my bucket list) Plus it’ll give people who may never see the lions play a chance to see them. This pandemic has seen unprecedented changes in everyday life. This will just be another on that list. 

Edited by SA14 - 05 March 2021 at 1:00pm
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2021 at 1:26pm
IF there are Lions games this season...

and IF they are played in the UK...

THEN

the basis of the Lions ethos is touring - it'll be a shame

BUT because of COVID, touring is difficult or maybe impossible

AND there have already been an awful lot of tests played in the Autumn (far more than usual)

(Just setting out the facts, there.)

FWIW - I'd far rather see the Lions tour this season, but if they can't then a few tests in the UK is better than none at all. I'd also prefer to see the Lions play than the individual nations, as that'll give at least some of our (Wales/Scarlets) players a well-earned break from playing.

The vaccination programme is going well, but we're not out of the woods by a long way - last thing we need is for any craziness to kick it off again (variants/relaxing lockdown too soon/whatever). So - no touring if that is risky, which it almost certainly is.

Edited by aber-fan - 05 March 2021 at 1:28pm
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2021 at 1:33pm
If anything the euros are what should be cancelled or postponed again. People mixing from all over Europe is a potential recipe for disaster. 
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2021 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

If anything the euros are what should be cancelled or postponed again. People mixing from all over Europe is a potential recipe for disaster. 

Baffled.

Which tournament are you talking about? And are supporters allowed to travel to it - whichever it is?

“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2021 at 2:06pm
I cant see a problem with this idea. Its better than nowt.
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Jones2004 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2021 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Baffled.

Which tournament are you talking about? And are supporters allowed to travel to it - whichever it is?
European Championship (football). Played in 13 different cities across Europe this summer. They haven’t said yet if there’ll be supporters from that country or travelling in the stadiums.
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2021 at 3:42pm

Absolutely- soocer fans from everywhere- madness 🤔? 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 50>
  Share Topic