Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Injury updates

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2019 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by Huwbach Huwbach wrote:

Originally posted by greypower1 greypower1 wrote:

Originally posted by NobbySosban NobbySosban wrote:

Not sure some understand that the Wales RWC squad were in intensive training for ~4 months, with around 10 weeks in camp in Japan - it's not just about game time, it's the hours, days, weeks, months of arduous physical training and preparation. They all need time to recover and decompress from an intense period in their lives.

The WRU's post-RWC return protocols may be more protective of players than those of other unions, but I would tend to think that they're for the best in the long run. Gatland's boot camps have always seemed to push players further and cause more injuries.
Shouldn't they be subject to the same workloads and intensity levels for their clubs?  They are full time rugby pros. It's their job after all.  I don't understand the concept of being fitter for international rugby than club rugby. 
The players who have played for us this season have been flogging themselves week after week in horrendous weather conditions, what about the elite boys giving them a little break?

You need to read up about periodisation in training. It’s impossible to be at peak fitness for prolonged periods of time. The Welsh squad would have spent months building phases to a point where they hit peak fitness during the World Cup regardless of how many matches they played. They need to rest and become ‘less fit’ to build up again otherwise as Tipuric stated in his interview they will break down later in the season physically and maybe mentally. You could argue that Wales players are regularly put in the over training phase due to lack of depth. Parkes is a clear example of this - playing in a broken down state.
So when it comes to the Six Nations the players are not at peak fitness because they haven't had months of conditioning, just a couple of weeks?  
Keep the faith
Sponsored Links

Huwbach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huwbach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2019 at 8:49pm

Originally posted by Huwbach Huwbach wrote:

Not sure some understand that the Wales RWC squad were in intensive training for ~4 months, with around 10 weeks in camp in Japan - it's not just about game time, it's the hours, days, weeks, months of arduous physical training and preparation. They all need time to recover and decompress from an intense period in their lives.

The WRU's post-RWC return protocols may be more protective of players than those of other unions, but I would tend to think that they're for the best in the long run. Gatland's boot camps have always seemed to push players further and cause more injuries.
Shouldn't they be subject to the same workloads and intensity levels for their clubs?  They are full time rugby pros. It's their job after all.  I don't understand the concept of being fitter for international rugby than club rugby. 
The players who have played for us this season have been flogging themselves week after week in horrendous weather conditions, what about the elite boys giving them a little break?

You need to read up about periodisation in training. It’s impossible to be at peak fitness for prolonged periods of time. The Welsh squad would have spent months building phases to a point where they hit peak fitness during the World Cup regardless of how many matches they played. They need to rest and become ‘less fit’ to build up again otherwise as Tipuric stated in his interview they will break down later in the season physically and maybe mentally. You could argue that Wales players are regularly put in the over training phase due to lack of depth. Parkes is a clear example of this - playing in a broken down state.
So when it comes to the Six Nations the players are not at peak fitness because they haven't had months of conditioning, just a couple of weeks?  

That would be a different scenario to having the squad months in advance - based on what state the players had arrived in. I’m guessing the regions share player data with the Welsh setup on a regular basis so they know where they are before they arrive, or not in the case of Rhys Carre where he was considered overweight on arrival. Managing the fitness of 30 + individuals is a hell of a task for the coaching staff in every set up I’m sure. 

Edited by Huwbach - 25 November 2019 at 8:58pm
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2019 at 9:02pm

Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

But didn't they have a break over the summer?
I would have thought a couple of weeks off ( like I used to get in my job) and then back to work on pre-season training in order to become super fit for the start of the season proper.
Couple of reasons- more time in camp (Welsh players/internationals often don’t get a full pre season with us due to summer tour/extended breaks etc).
Better facilities- e.g. cryotherapy which allows for a higher volume of intensive training. Trips to the Swiss Alps for altitude training, Turkey for warm weather training. The regions can’t afford this.
Better quality coaches- Bobby Stridgeon is the Welsh fitness coach and is widely regarded as one of the best at his job in the world. Also been on Lions tours as fitness coach. Not saying regional/club fitness coaches are poor but very rare to find one on his level.
Little/no distractions and higher “buy-in” = at home they have friends, partners, outside interests etc. In Welsh camps these are limited. Players also know even for a 12 year career in pro rugby they’re likely to only have 3 World Cups (at best). So they put that extra 0.1% in. Same as anyone does in a work environment- when you think something’s especially important, you concentrate and put in more.
Higher quality teammates- they are usually competing with the fittest of the fittest, which in turn drives higher quality. For example (no disrespect intended) Samson would likely do better in a bleep test against Dillon Lewis, Tom Francis and Leon Brown than he would Simon Gardiner, Javen Sebastian and Werner Kruger. Human nature.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2019 at 9:56am
Originally posted by solva solva wrote:

Remember the famous international cricketer who was sidelined with a 'lower back injury'?  Turned out he struck down with  the Farmer's......

An intriguing but baffling comment - care to explain?
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
solva View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2019 at 2:01pm
It was a well managed way of explaining that a top player was not fit to play without going into the  (somewhat) embarrassing details.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2019 at 2:35pm

It was a well managed way of explaining that a top player was not fit to play without going into the  (somewhat) embarrassing details.

I guessed as much, but am still totally baffled...Confused
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
solva View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2019 at 3:22pm
It was pointed out that Joe Public doesn’t need to know the ‘nuts and bolts’ of every injury.  That was one way it was done in cricketWink  
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2019 at 3:49pm

It was pointed out that Joe Public doesn’t need to know the ‘nuts and bolts’ of every injury.  That was one way it was done in cricketWink  

Do I take it that 'nuts' is the key word here, then?
solva View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2019 at 4:19pm
Farmers was the key word.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2019 at 4:39pm

Farmers was the key word.

Well, I'll just have to stay baffled, then!
cymraes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cymraes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2019 at 5:19pm
think rhyming slang
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2019 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by cymraes cymraes wrote:

think rhyming slang

All very well,but I can't come up with anything other than Farmer's Arms (no obvious follow up there) - and not many Farmers in Cockney-land either, so god knows who invented this...

Farmers' combine harvester? No, I don't get it.
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2019 at 1:48pm
Can someone please put him out of his misery 😁😁😁😁
solva View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2019 at 1:51pm
Loads of them round London like. In Essex Kent  Surrey etc. Old Mr Giles for instance. Got that farm down Guildford way. Never heard of him? That’s a pain.  
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2019 at 2:10pm

Loads of them round London like. In Essex Kent  Surrey etc. Old Mr Giles for instance. Got that farm down Guildford way. Never heard of him? That’s a pain.  

Well, thanks for the clue - I eventually checked using Mr Google. Not a pleasant condition (I speak from experience).

Of course, I browsed a bit, as one does, and came across some other intriguing farmer-related sayings. I'm sure you would not fancy a 'farmer's breakfast', or 'farmers' omelette' - still less 'farmer love'!

(You may prefer NOT to check these out.)
supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2019 at 11:03am
Im almost sorry I started this thread. Incredible over thinking by several writers. All we need to know is - Player X out for 4 weeks - knee injury. I'm quite sure there is nothing in GDPR, contractual obligations or anything else that says that can't be published.
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic