Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SUPPORTERS TRUST NEWS
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

BBC are doing a radio programme

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abbey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2006 at 3:09pm

I'm meeting SG on Thursday morning to discuss the latest information with regard to the flood situation so that I give correct answers to the BBC on Friday morning.

I will also make sure that I am correct about all the other aspects of the application.

Does anyone have any rough figures of how many signatures we've collected so far with the petition?

Sponsored Links

Abbey View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abbey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2006 at 11:39am

OK done and dusted. Peter Johnson was charming and I tried to stay within my remit. The questions were tough but expected and I'm not sure how they'll edit it. I didn't have a go at the residents at all and said that all the financial matters were the club's business and that all we wanted was a team to support.

Privately, Johnson says that the Scarlet 9 website is a load of half truths that have been extrapolated. His views are that the WAG will refuse the application as CCC have shown duplicity and the clubs assertations that the EA don't think it is a flood plain will be interpreted differently once the QCs get a go at it. 

Saying that, he thinks the local residents are off their trollies as well. He says the programme will start with loud arguments from both sides and then he'll say "hang on, this is the truth". What that means, I don't know!

Mike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2006 at 12:08pm
When's it being broadcast Alun?
TonduTurk View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
"Views my own"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonduTurk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2006 at 12:09pm
well done alun

do you know when it's on ?
Abbey View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abbey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2006 at 12:16pm

The programme is called "Eye on Wales" and is on Radio Wales on September 11th. I'm not sure what time.

I did manage to get to the bottom of the "Tollington Estates" as well. It is owned by a father and son from Birmingham. They are registered in the Isle of Man (and British Virgin Isles) in Scarlett street - hence the subsidiary name of Scarlett Holdings (that's one to pass on to Pimp and No6). They bought the land in 1988 - before SG, Moon and HE were at the club - indeed, HE was working as an IT clerk at Ferodo. HE is in negotiation to buy them out and gift the land to the club.

Oh, and the training barn was built without planning permission as the earliest planning meeting was in November and CCC said that retrospective permission could be sought. They needed the barn now and couldn't wait until November so followed this perfectly legal route. Again, another one for Pimp and Jason.

Edited by Abbey
ursamajor View Drop Down
Founder
Founder

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ursamajor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2006 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by Abbey Abbey wrote:

The programme is called "Eye on Wales" and is on Radio Wales on September 11th. I'm not sure what time.

I did manage to get to the bottom of the "Tollington Estates" as well. It is owned by a father and son from Birmingham. They are registered in the Isle of Man (and British Virgin Isles) in Scarlett street - hence the subsidiary name of Scarlett Holdings (that's one to pass on to Pimp and No6). They bought the land in 1988 - before SG, Moon and HE were at the club - indeed, HE was working as an IT clerk at Ferodo. HE is in negotiation to buy them out and gift the land to the club.

Oh, and the training barn was built without planning permission as the earliest planning meeting was in November and CCC said that retrospective permission could be sought. They needed the barn now and couldn't wait until November so followed this perfectly legal route. Again, another one for Pimp and Jason.

Very good Alun. I think this is an absolutely crucial piece of info. I really wish the club would go public with this, once and for all.

Abbey View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abbey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2006 at 12:51pm

SG may have on the programme. I know for certain that the BBC would have asked the question.

Abbey View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abbey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2006 at 1:06pm

I think that SG has been economical with the truth about the flood plain. The EA have not said that they are satisfied. The actual document (which I have now seen) says that they are against the development on a C2 flood plain unless very strict recommendations are followed (such as raising the level of the ground and redirecting the culvert). SG said that all that was needed was a new wall at a school. This is completely playing down what the EA actually said.

What has happened is that the same company that is acting for the latest waterfront development has "persuaded" the EA that things may be remedied.

What may be a problem is that the WAG's own rules (called Tan (W) 15) on C2 flood plains states that essential services should NEVER be built and less vulnerable development only with the permission of the local planning authority if they are deemed to be essential for that location. CCC have said that the development is a"windfall" site and I can't see therefore that it can be classed as essential for the location. However, contrary to the Stradey 9 assertion that dwellings can never be built on a C2 flood plain, the document states that on Zone C2 (undefended floodplain areas) "a local planning authority (LPA) may recommend refusal of planning consent". Unfortunately for the Stradey 9, the LPA has been "minded" to approve.

I'm just concerned that SG has lulled us into making the assertion on the forum that there is NO flood risk, which is incorrect.

I've done some research on this - I suppose it must be the scientist in me!

Scarletrover View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarletrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2006 at 11:45pm

Hi Abbey,

Where did you see the document, was it with the BBC?

In fairness, SG DID say that the work would consist of RE-CONSTRUCTING a culvert rather than re-build a wall, and that is borne out by the minutes of the Planning Comittee meeting as well.

Also, I'm not sure that the area can be considered to be 'Undefended floodplain', due to the coastal defence work that has already taken place, and also the developments that have taken place, e.g., the Sandy Water park, the estate, and the North Dock developments.

I also got the impression that rather than there being'No flood risk', that the EA had simply agreed that if the remedial actions were carried out that they were satisfied that the flood risks had been mitigated so that they were within acceptable boundaries.

Edited by Scarletrover

Abbey View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abbey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2006 at 8:49am
Originally posted by Scarletrover Scarletrover wrote:

Hi Abbey,

Where did you see the document, was it with the BBC?

In fairness, SG DID say that the work would consist of RE-CONSTRUCTING a culvert rather than re-build a wall, and that is borne out by the minutes of the Planning Comittee meeting as well.

Also, I'm not sure that the area can be considered to be 'Undefended floodplain', due to the coastal defence work that has already taken place, and also the developments that have taken place, e.g., the Sandy Water park, the estate, and the North Dock developments.

I also got the impression that rather than there being'No flood risk', that the EA had simply agreed that if the remedial actions were carried out that they were satisfied that the flood risks had been mitigated so that they were within acceptable boundaries.

The EA report is available to be viewed at Ty Elwyn.

The "undefended" bit is what a C2 flood plain is defined as. Where there are some remedial defences, it would be a C1. This is the club's argument entirely (and quite correctly) that the designation of the area as a flood risk is incorrect. It beggars belief that the EA are happy with the new waterside development but needed convincing at Stradey.

I was late at the meeting with SG when he spoke of the remedial work and gave me a short precis where he spoke of the wall at Furnace School. Perhaps he was a little liberal in his precis and you all had the full version?

You are very correct with the last paragraph. The Stradey 9 have latched on to the incorrect assumption that the Local Planning Department must refuse planning on C2 areas. What TAN (15)W states is that they may refuse. There is a whole world of difference there (and as we know, the planning authority have been minded to approve). Also, it is my understanding that the EA always objects to new build on anything other than Zone B (and even then it tends to initially object) so as to allow officers to investigate. On this occasion, they were vehermently opposed until certain information was explained to them and they changed their opposition to one of cautious agreement. The EA are never going to allow full agreement in writing, and I am told that the wording they use in their document to the planning meeting was extremely strong, for their standards, in its support. Should you read it, then you would consider it mild! What the QC's make of it, only time will tell.

The BBC were very dismissive of the Stradey 9 website, saying that it lacked professionalism and was a mish-mash of half truths. Indeed, two interviews Peter Johnson made with local residents active in Stradey 9 have had to be scrapped because they include such grossly incorrect information against certain individuals as to be libellous. After further questioning, their terms of reference was that "Dai told me it was true"!!!!!!

As we know, the area is to be redesignated next year anyway and so the plans could justifiably be resubmitted without issue for planning. Also, the EA picture that mAce has printed shows very little serious flooding risk - and even then only to the area around the roundabout. What the picture does show is that the town centre would be flooded first and I'm told that the flooding on the area around Stradey would be the fourth to flood and would wash away within minutes (the EA reckon it may be as low as 90 seconds).

Edited by Abbey
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic