Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2019-20 Captain & Leadership Group

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2019-20 Captain & Leadership Group
    Posted: 10 September 2019 at 12:47pm
Ken Owens confirmed as captain for a record 6th season. ClapClapClap

Leadership group will also include Fox and Cub, Steff Hughes and Werner Kruger.

When I've looked around the squad in recent seasons, I've often thought we've been a bit light on natural leaders, so it's good to see a corp of players being identified and developed for this role.

Foxy always leads by example, Werner will be a season-round senior squad member, Steff H has taken the armband from Wales U20s days and will be a strong voice in the second-string squad, and Cubby... well, that'll be interesting. Tongue

Edited by NobbySosban - 10 September 2019 at 2:10pm
Sponsored Links

ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2019 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by NobbySosban NobbySosban wrote:

When I've looked around the squad in recent seasons, I've often thought we've been a bit light on natural leaders, so it's good to see a corp of players being identified and developed for this role.

Foxy always leads by example, Werner will be a season-round senior squad member, Steff H has taken the armband from Wales U20s days and will be a strong voice in the second-string squad, and Cubby... well, that'll be interesting. Tongue
just because they've been named leaders doesn't mean they are on the pitch,
NobbySosban View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2019 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

Every silver lining has a cloud, eh, lad? Ermm
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2019 at 4:49pm

let me know when you see the cloud,Confused
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2019 at 5:01pm

Why is it that some on here get upset when someone tells it as it is? I am with you Nigel - Foxy couldn't lead his way out of a paper bag last season lets be truthful. His brother inspires me far more as a natural leader. Foxy has been a fine player but anyone who says he played well for us last season is living in cloud cuckoo land. Scott was a good leader but we let him go. 
cymroab View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cymroab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2019 at 5:31am

A captain is less like likely to be carded 😁 but have higher sanctions if brought before disciplinary ☹️
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2019 at 8:39am
Out of all these Cubby is a bit left field! Has Mooar had time to assess him ? 🤔 Is there a pecking order as well eg if they all play and Ken goes off , I assume they all won’t be in charge when the ref asks “Captain “?
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2019 at 9:01am
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Out of all these Cubby is a bit left field! Has Mooar had time to assess him ? 🤔 Is there a pecking order as well eg if they all play and Ken goes off , I assume they all won’t be in charge when the ref asks “Captain “?

Well Cubby has, one would guess, been with Wales all summer?

Haha love the idea of them all going up to the ref if Ken isn't on the field!
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2019 at 9:07am
Seemed to work when AWJ, Tips & Biggar used to do it at the Ospreys!!!!!!
Mrfwon View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrfwon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2019 at 10:18am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Why is it that some on here get upset when someone tells it as it is? I am with you Nigel - Foxy couldn't lead his way out of a paper bag last season lets be truthful. His brother inspires me far more as a natural leader. Foxy has been a fine player but anyone who says he played well for us last season is living in cloud cuckoo land. Scott was a good leader but we let him go

Feel so gutted for Scott. He didn't want to leave us, but needed more game time to fight for a Wales spot, yet hasn't even been selected for the trip to Japan.
Scarlets!!!
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2019 at 10:32am
Originally posted by Mrfwon Mrfwon wrote:

Why is it that some on here get upset when someone tells it as it is? I am with you Nigel - Foxy couldn't lead his way out of a paper bag last season lets be truthful. His brother inspires me far more as a natural leader. Foxy has been a fine player but anyone who says he played well for us last season is living in cloud cuckoo land. Scott was a good leader but we let him go

Feel so gutted for Scott. He didn't want to leave us, but needed more game time to fight for a Wales spot, yet hasn't even been selected for the trip to Japan.

This highlights I think a deeper trouble in our game. Hadleigh Parkes is a genuinely lovely guy who is a fine player and ambassador for his sport - of that I have no doubt. My personal choice for 12 for the Scarlets & Wales would always be Scott. I firmly believe he is a better player and in addition he is Welsh to his core.

Danny Care has voiced his frustrations about being usurped in the England team with Heinz,a 32 year old Kiwi, making the squad days after becoming eligible through residency. Likewise Devon Toner & Klein for Ireland. Care openly admits that he has turned down huge offers from France to continue playing for England.

I can't help believe that teams who follow this route may well miss out when it comes to that final pressure situation in one off games. Even if that is the case there is something fundamentally wrong with the whole residency qualification and I don't think the increase from 3-5 years resolves it. 
henry_winkler View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Don’t believe a word......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henry_winkler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2019 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by Mrfwon Mrfwon wrote:

To go to your lifelong club's biggest rival means there has to be a bit more to it than "Gatland said"  not many players make that sort of switch in any sport. Could you imagine Tipuric coming here if Gatters told him to?
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2019 at 7:04pm
Ken is a talismanic type leader and we aren't blessed with many of that ilk in Wales, never mind at the Scarlets.
To that end he's the right choice as skipper. I also like the concept of a skipper in the front 5.

His general demeanor on the field reflects his intense 'full on' focus on the job in hand. He takes the responsibility of captaincy fully on to his shoulders too.
What would be great to see him add to his approach is a little more engagement with the senior player and leadership group during a game, and also develop some nurturing skills around the young talent who clearly look up to him.

He's brought some great additions to the team set up too, singing in the changing room post match etc and he also presents a distinct West Walian/Welsh axis to the club. I think this resonates with many.

Edited by Wil Chips - 11 September 2019 at 7:20pm
GreyScarlet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreyScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2019 at 10:23am
Having had the privilege of following the Scarlets for 40+ years, I have always in the past cited Rupert Moon as the best Scarlets Captain that I have watched. (I was working overseas in Delme's time).

I have in last few years seen an even better captain in Ken Owens. He has always been a natural leader and clearly passionate about being a Scarlet. To me this has not been more obvious than his 2? games p,aging at number 8 last season. What a player (our best hooker for me) and what a Scarlet.

Virtually perfect rugby - 1992/93
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2019 at 10:43am
Originally posted by Brad Mooar Brad Mooar wrote:

Ken is an outstanding leader. I heard Alun Wyn Jones refer to him as the heart of any team he is in, which is such high praise from a legend of the game and something that has been really clear to me from the time I have been involved here. Ken’s heart beats Scarlets.

I first met him about a year ago. He is held in such high regard, is such a genuine Scarlets person and an outstanding rugby player.

Without exception, everybody I have spoken to - players, management, staff, the board - speaks highly of Ken and his leadership abilities.

He has played for and captained the British and Irish Lions, has been part of the leadership group for Wales. It is an absolute no-brainer that he is the right man to lead this team, club and its people.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/brad-mooar-scarlets-wales-interview-16897408
Exkixu View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exkixu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2019 at 11:23am
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Originally posted by Brad Mooar Brad Mooar wrote:

Ken is an outstanding leader. I heard Alun Wyn Jones refer to him as the heart of any team he is in, which is such high praise from a legend of the game and something that has been really clear to me from the time I have been involved here. Ken’s heart beats Scarlets.

I first met him about a year ago. He is held in such high regard, is such a genuine Scarlets person and an outstanding rugby player.

Without exception, everybody I have spoken to - players, management, staff, the board - speaks highly of Ken and his leadership abilities.

He has played for and captained the British and Irish Lions, has been part of the leadership group for Wales. It is an absolute no-brainer that he is the right man to lead this team, club and its people.

Thanks for that.

"But I certainly like to play a game that takes advantage of the opportunities that present."

I thought this summed up the Crusaders to a tee. Hopefully us too.

1 Xavier Rush   2 Rhys Priestland   3 David Lyons   Cardiff Blues - Scarlets, 26/09/09      

More carries than any of our forwards. Priestland Fan Club Proud Member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic