Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

services nhs wales no longer offer...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2018 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by totallybiasedscarlet totallybiasedscarlet wrote:

One of the things I always felt would reduce NHS costs was to shake up GP services. I'd like to see the role of "Family Health Support Worker" created. This would be people trained in aspects of diet, exercise, sexual health & contraceptive services, substance misuse, mental health services etc who would act as an advocate for families, regularly checking their health and supporting them in maintaining healthy bodies/minds/lifestyles. Predicated on the principle that prevention is better than cure. I always felt that leisure centres should be a "free at the point of contact" service and integrated with family health to that end. My reasoning is that so many illnesses that people present with that are protracted, complicated and expensive are the consequence of poor lifestyle choices and are emminently preventable (e.g. Type 2 Diabetes, Heart Disease, many cancers etc). With the right nudge much of this could be prevented and a huge degree of pressure on the NHS relieved.

It would certainly cost to do this but could it produce a net saving? I'm sure the general better health of the population would be a net benefit.

Good ideas - it would need to be costed and compared to the costs of not doing something of the sort. At least some of these ideas would definitely be worth implementing, IMO.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Sponsored Links

aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2018 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

Good point, since 1991 Welsh population rose 225,000

The 19 to 642 went up 130,000  ish
the over 65s went up 150,000 ish
the 0 to 15 year olds fell 30,000+

Definitely a big factor 

it is indeed - which is why the grant from central government should be 'needs based' rather than Barnett... things have changed significantly since 1978, FFS!

There is a summary on Wikipedia:

Most commentators would agree that, by now, Scotland has done rather well out of the formula, and Wales rather badly see for example:

It is, of course, tricky to say that Barnett disadvantages 'England' - I think it's pretty clear that the truth is that certain English regions are disadvantaged, like Wales, whereas others - especially London and the South East - do disproportionately well out of government spending. I'm not sure if Crossrail or the HS2 upgrade to train travel London - Brum, or for that matter Eurotunnel and the upgrades to train services to France and of St Pancras station were included in any calculation, or were in some way 'outside' the formula - what is clear is that these immensely expensive items benefit almost exclusively London and neighbouring areas. And now, instead of upgrading regional airports, the government propose to build a third runway at Heathrow... which will likely cause gridlock on the M4... instead of considering expanding (say) Birmingham, which is no time at all by train from London even now, and much closer to the Midlands and North of both England and Wales.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2018 at 6:07pm
This is one of many reasons people voted against devolution , as we expected we'd end up with a second class under-funded system. 
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2018 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

This is one of many reasons people voted against devolution , as we expected we'd end up with a second class under-funded system. 

That has had no effect either way, as the funding formula is exactly the same post-devolution as it has been since 1978! The only thing that changed is that the WAG got the chance to prioritise different areas, if it so wished, within the areas devolved.

ATM, they are giving extra cash to the NHS at the expense of local government and education (I think)... whether it will be spent wisely remains to be seen. The problem for the NHS, though, is that its funding has been cut in real terms since 2010 across the UK, at the same time as private companies have been invited in to hoover up profits in certain areas.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic