Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Severn Bridge Tolls

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salmidach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Severn Bridge Tolls
    Posted: 05 October 2018 at 10:44am
To be removed on the 17th of December, but expect road works for 4 months to remove the tolls.

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance - Terry Pratchett
Sponsored Links

Winston View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2018 at 10:53am
Interesting. The tolls in Scotland were removed many years ago but the actual toll booths remain. But hey if there’s a chance for months of disruption let’s take it
Owen111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Owen111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2018 at 11:08am
The tolls slow down the traffic somewhat. Wont removing them cause even more of a problem at the coldra, brynglass etc?
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2018 at 12:33pm
I have mixed feelings about this. It seems like a bit of a bribe from the Tories... in a way, I'd have preferred the tolls to stay, so long as the money went to the Welsh government - we never get a fair deal out of Westminster, no matter what party is in power there. The Barnett formula is desperately out of date (even Lord Barnett himself said it was unfair to Wales), but neither Labour or Tories will change it. In addition, money that used to come directly to Wales from the EU is in future, post-Brexit, going to be kept in Westminster and doled out as charity by whoever is down there at the time.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
salmidach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salmidach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2018 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

I have mixed feelings about this. It seems like a bit of a bribe from the Tories... in a way, I'd have preferred the tolls to stay, so long as the money went to the Welsh government - we never get a fair deal out of Westminster, no matter what party is in power there. The Barnett formula is desperately out of date (even Lord Barnett himself said it was unfair to Wales), but neither Labour or Tories will change it. In addition, money that used to come directly to Wales from the EU is in future, post-Brexit, going to be kept in Westminster and doled out as charity by whoever is down there at the time.

the bridge is run by the highways agency which is a UK based quango and if what you suggest happens then Westminster would expect Cardiff to pay for the workers, and the upkeep of the bridges...
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance - Terry Pratchett
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2018 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by salmidach salmidach wrote:

Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

the bridge is run by the highways agency which is a UK based quango and if what you suggest happens then Westminster would expect Cardiff to pay for the workers, and the upkeep of the bridges...

My understanding is that the tolls were fixed to pay back the cost of building it, as well as the cost of upkeep - in other words, the tolls were set at a price to make a healthy annual profit. And as you point out, the tool both workers will now be on the dole...
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic