Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

When was the last time you saw a pig?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: When was the last time you saw a pig?
    Posted: 18 September 2018 at 10:12pm
Listening to the Wynne Evans show this morning, he came up with a really interesting statistic.  Apparently a survey has shown that 30% of people in this country have never seen a pig. Pig

I found that slightly unbelievable then again I live in an area surrounded by farms.  What made it really funny was that the survey went on to say that 80% of the people in this country eat pork. Smile

Anyone of here owning up to never having seen a pig?
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Sponsored Links

scarletabroad View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletabroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2018 at 8:09am
surrounded by them up my way fields full of them quite nice to see actually,
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2018 at 12:18pm
Still haven’t seen a wild Scottish Haggis either 😉
Mrfwon View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrfwon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2018 at 2:11pm
Last weekend in Chessington World of Adventures Star Saw some goats, monkeys, sea lions, giraffes, gorillas, fish, and even a parrot LOL
Scarlets!!!
Scarletstarch View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarletstarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2018 at 2:13pm
I was brought up in Wernffrwd, Gower and my Datcu had a pig sty at the bottom of his large garden and he used to have a pig slaughtered in the Autumn and I can remember it being hung up on a hook in the scullery with a bowl underneath to catch the blood!! All the family would arrive and pig steak, meat, offal  etc would then be distributed to everyone and we would make faggots out of any leftovers! Sounds really bloodthirsty but that is how we lived in the 50's and also all our veg & fruit would be grown ourselves! Big smile
"YMA O HYD"
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2018 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by Scarletstarch Scarletstarch wrote:

I was brought up in Wernffrwd, Gower and my Datcu had a pig sty at the bottom of his large garden and he used to have a pig slaughtered in the Autumn and I can remember it being hung up on a hook in the scullery with a bowl underneath to catch the blood!! All the family would arrive and pig steak, meat, offal  etc would then be distributed to everyone and we would make faggots out of any leftovers! Sounds really bloodthirsty but that is how we lived in the 50's and also all our veg & fruit would be grown ourselves! Big smile
The days before free range fresh Quorn then ?Wink
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2018 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by Scarletstarch Scarletstarch wrote:

I am sure one of the great Welsh authors wrote a well-known piece (book chapter?) probably called 'Cadw mochyn'... it may have been T Rowland Hughes... it describes  a process quite similar to your family story...

Certainly, Mr Google has made me aware that our own Delme Thomas wrote about this in his autobiography... I can't copy/paste as the copyright device prevents it, but he writes a passage starting: " Roedd cadw mochyn mewn twlc ar waelod yr ardd yn ddigon cyffredin hefyd..."

I well remember visiting farms with salted sides of pork hanging in the rafters. It was a common enough sight, back then.

Edited by aber-fan - 20 September 2018 at 3:10pm
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
salmidach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salmidach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2018 at 9:17pm
I Blame Austerity....PigPigPigPigPigPigPigPigPigPigPigPigPigPigPig

Edited by salmidach - 20 September 2018 at 9:18pm
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance - Terry Pratchett
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic