Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

sprouts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: sprouts
    Posted: 19 December 2017 at 5:00pm
anyone else noticed sprouts have gone up in price?mods feel free to lock this one anytime but this is how I feel the forum is going.
Sponsored Links

Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2017 at 6:12pm
This passed me by, I must admit. Nigel, very many thanks for alerting me to this.

I’d always associated sprouts with flatulence rather than inflation.

Funny old world.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2017 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

anyone else noticed sprouts have gone up in price?mods feel free to lock this one anytime but this is how I feel the forum is going.

Eh? Are you suggesting that sprouts are so controversial that we can't write about them?Shocked

A point - most foodstuffs are going up due to Brexit - the pound is alot lower agaisnt the euro than this time last year.

Now a tip - when cooking, blanch the sprouts for 2 minutes, then discard the water - then boil until cooked in fresh water (up to 10 min depending on size). Blanching gets rid of the bitterness.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2017 at 9:08pm
Top tip there, Aber 👏👍😋
mammamammon View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mammamammon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2017 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

mammamammon

www.hopemalawiuk.com
scarletabroad View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletabroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2017 at 9:37am
for reheat boxing day chop up and fry in pan with bacon bloody lovely
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2017 at 1:17pm
I must confess the sprout rises had passed me by... But on the flipside , price has dropped a bit on runny hunny, Tongue The beekeepers struck back against the mites and their hives are booming again
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2017 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by scarletabroad scarletabroad wrote:

for reheat boxing day chop up and fry in pan with bacon bloody lovely
Tried to persuade Doc Martinov of this great way of enjoying sprouts a year or so ago. Fell on deaf ears, as it were. Not prepared to gamble with his taste buds.

€2.50 a kilo in local market, here in France. Seems good value and will have extra flavour compared to normal supermarket fare.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2017 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

I must confess the sprout rises had passed me by... But on the flipside , price has dropped a bit on runny hunny, Tongue The beekeepers struck back against the mites and their hives are booming again

This is excellent news - I always get my honey from a Cardigan-based beekeeper at Aberystwyth farmers' market. I really like honey, and have always preferred that produced in West Wales from wild flowers than any other you can buy. 
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2017 at 4:16pm
But these are Brussels sprouts - immigrant sprouts. Under Brexit you will only be able to buy them on the black market at extortionate prices. But it's a small price to pay for regaining our sovereignty and letting the English make our laws, rather than the faceless Brussels bureaucrats. 
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2017 at 7:05pm
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

But these are Brussels sprouts - immigrant sprouts. Under Brexit you will only be able to buy them on the black market at extortionate prices. But it's a small price to pay for regaining our sovereignty and letting the English make our laws, rather than the faceless Brussels bureaucrats. 

Looks like I'll have to smuggle them back under a blanket in the boot, next time I go to the continent...Unhappy
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2017 at 7:06pm
Ah it seems the influence of Brussels has never been stronger..... and any fan of those abhorrent evil mini-cabbages should pay dearly for their sins, literally.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2017 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by dr_martinov dr_martinov wrote:

Ah it seems the influence of Brussels has never been stronger..... and any fan of those abhorrent evil mini-cabbages should pay dearly for their sins, literally.

Perhaps you wish them a death by self-gassing?Dead
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2017 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Originally posted by dr_martinov dr_martinov wrote:

Perhaps you wish them a death by self-gassing?Dead

Ooof, that's dark. I like it: "Now then, Mr Bond, let's see how your love of Brussels sprouts serves you now. Assistant, lower him into the chamber and add the sprouts. Mwaaahahahaaa"

Edited by dr_martinov - 20 December 2017 at 7:15pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic