Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Coetzee and Piutau out

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2017 at 8:19am
Originally posted by BRulster BRulster wrote:

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by BRulster BRulster wrote:

To answer some of the above:
Lions rested on IRFU player welfare programme.
Coetzee and Piutau also missed Treviso last week.
personey and Lealiifano looking surprisingly good especially the former.
Can I take the 16th man comment as a compliment?

Much unrest about the selections so far this season. Not only the lack of availability of players, but also who is selected and especially WHERE they are selected. Bowe at 13 and Diack at lock are 2 examples.

Based on last week, this is going to have to be a massive turnaround in precision and dynamism on our side to even make this a contest.

Hi BRulster welcome back to our forum. The decisions you refer to are a little confusing especially Diack at 5. He is a fine lineout back rower but does not possess the bulk for the row. I, rightly or wrongly, see our front 5 as being our game winner with your front row being a little flaky. I don't see them as much as you but that is where I see our chance. Your back 5 whoever plays will make a game of it but if your front 5 don't get parity it could be a long evening. 

The back row has actually been the major problem over recent times, but we saw a taste of a proper back row v cheetahs (henry, coetzee and deysel) but that only lasted one game. The front 5 have been the lesser problem and our best front 5 can hold their own (notwithstanding that our props can still be in trouble if they meet the wrong man). Once the subs start plodding on (in Rodney Ah You'd case, quite literally), it becomes a problem.
And of course that is predicated by Kiss picking our best front 5 in the first place. His selection has been inexplicable at times.

Backline suffers from static ball going backwards and persistence of tactics refusing to play a territorial game. Bowe is frankly an idiotic choice at 13, even if we had not better centres fit and ready to go.
I await the team announcement or Ripley's Believe It Or Not as it is fast becoming.

From what I can see Kiss seems to be the major issue. He very rarely sounds convincing & selection is one of the most important aspects of his role. I would expect Marshall & McLoskey to start Friday in the centre. You also seem to have a huge injury list so early in the season - we were very lucky last season on that front. I am afraid that whilst Coetzee is a marvelous player he is carrying a long standing knee problem. I look forward to Friday to see how far we have progressed as a team. It is great to see Samson looking his old self again - there are a few loose heads who won't be looking forward to seeing him this season. Good luck & I hope your Kiss gets it right in his selection. 
Sponsored Links

BRulster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRulster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2017 at 8:33am
Originally posted by Dafen Boy Dafen Boy wrote:

Can't blame you, with a billion pounds coming your wayEvil Smile

Can you just make that cheque out to CASH? I'll sort out the details once it arrives.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2017 at 8:36am
Ulster is still Ulster and no easy game. As M.M would say, I will settle for a one point win over there 👍
Micro Duck View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Micro Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2017 at 9:14am
Yep Ravenhill is still a tough place to play, even with a sponsor's name on it!

This is the real start to the season now.

Tough games are coming thick and fast before the European window.
New KALAMAFONI - BEAST MODE t-shirt now available online.

Plus a new 'Sosban Fach Scoundrels' range.

Paste the link below into your URL:
https://llanelli.teemill.com/
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2017 at 9:16am
I'd be delighted if we get to 23 pts after the first 5 games. 

To me the 4 pts and no losing or try BP for Ulster should be the aim. If we're 3 scores clear with 15mins to go, then we should go for the BP. 

Following week 4 pts against Edinburgh and 5 against Connacht and I'll be delighted.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2017 at 9:17am
Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

I'd be delighted if we get to 23 pts after the first 5 games. 

To me the 4 pts and no losing or try BP for Ulster should be the aim. If we're 3 scores clear with 15mins to go, then we should go for the BP. 

Following week 4 pts against Edinburgh and 5 against Connacht and I'll be delighted.

Your not asking for much Ap Sior!!! It's a sign of the times that I totally agree with you!!!!
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2017 at 9:20am
Indeed Ulster are one of our serious challengers for the top 3, the others being Leinster & Edinburgh. Denying Ulster & then Edinburgh anything from the games will be very important to our final position come May. 
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2017 at 9:42am
Originally posted by Dafen Boy Dafen Boy wrote:

Originally posted by ChrisX ChrisX wrote:

ref is italian marius mitrea?

An excellent choice. It's the TMO that worries meWink

The pro Irish bias really surfaces more at Ulster than elsewhere.

Can't blame you, with a billion pounds coming your wayEvil Smile

Mitrea is actually a pretty good ref, usually, and also has some backbone - not one who will give decisions to please a home crowd - again usually. Hope I don't have to eat these words after the game!

TMOs at Ulster can be dodgy, BUT it's the ability of the TV guys to 'lose' evidence of foul play by Ulster players that worries me more. I'd trust the TMOs to get it right if clear evidence of 'whatever' is put before them... of course, some decisions are 50:50.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
BRulster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRulster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2017 at 10:05am
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Ulster is still Ulster and no easy game. As M.M would say, I will settle for a one point win over there 👍

[sound of Ressy's hand being snapped off]
www.stoutboys.co.uk
BRulster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRulster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2017 at 10:45am
confirmed:
Referee: Marius Mitrea 
AR1:
Vincenzo Schipani AR2: Kieran Barry
TMO:
Alan Falzone
www.stoutboys.co.uk
NobbySosban View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2017 at 1:00pm
Is Marshall Kilgore also injured? Wink

salmidach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salmidach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2017 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by ChrisX ChrisX wrote:

ref is italian marius mitrea?

he's actually Romanian lol
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance - Terry Pratchett
BRulster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BRulster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2017 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by NobbySosban NobbySosban wrote:

Is Marshall Kilgore also injured? Wink

I think the lieutenant has finally hung up his white tinted specs.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2017 at 4:21pm
Can't be complacent though.
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2017 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by supertaf supertaf wrote:

Can't be complacent though.

Agreed, however there have been times gone by where before this fixture I would have settled for a losing Bonus Point....now however I think I would be gutted if thats all we got - what a sign of the times.
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2017 at 9:20pm
Ulster number 8 Jean Deysel now withdrawn could be a long evening for the home team .
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic