Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > ARE YOU BLIND REF.... OR ARE WE WRONG ???
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Making a mark from the KO

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Making a mark from the KO
    Posted: 19 October 2015 at 7:36pm
This should be short - in one of yesterday's semis, a player caught the ball inside his 22 from a KO - I think the team messed up, and the commentator said: "He should have made a mark!"

Now, as far as I know you are not permitted to mark a KO.

Please confirm.

Second Q - if I'm right, what do ITV think they're doing employing amateur idiots to commentate on the RWC?
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Sponsored Links

Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2015 at 7:39pm
Mrs EO was onto that remark in a flash, too.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
scarletman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Married with Kids - Close to Bankruptcy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2015 at 11:31am
Law 18
MARK
DEFINITIONS

To make a mark, a player must be on or behind that player’s 22-metre line. A player with one foot on the 22-metre line or behind it is considered to be ‘in the 22’. The player must make a clean catch direct from an opponent’s kick and at the same time shout “Mark”. A mark cannot be made from a kick-off, or a restart kick except for a drop-out.

A kick is awarded for a mark. The place for the kick is the place of the mark.

A player may make a mark even though the ball touched a goal post or crossbar before being caught.

A player from the defending team may make a mark in in-goal.

Herman Tours ... Still the best way to travel !
scarletman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Married with Kids - Close to Bankruptcy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2015 at 11:35am
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

This should be short - in one of yesterday's semis, a player caught the ball inside his 22 from a KO - I think the team messed up, and the commentator said: "He should have made a mark!"

Now, as far as I know you are not permitted to mark a KO.

Please confirm.

Second Q - if I'm right, what do ITV think they're doing employing amateur idiots to commentate on the RWC?

ITV & Rugby ....

Like Al Jazzera & Coronation St !
Herman Tours ... Still the best way to travel !
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2015 at 12:02pm
We need to re-title this thread 'ask Scarletman.

I learn something new every thread...

No idea, not one, that you could call a mark in goal.

Edited by Wil Chips - 21 October 2015 at 12:03pm
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2015 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

I suppose the fact you can touch the ball down and get a drop out 22 rather have to kick from behind goal line is why people don't do it,

didn't;t Shane Williams do it vs Scotland  from a cross kick a few years back?

aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2015 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

I suppose the fact you can touch the ball down and get a drop out 22 rather have to kick from behind goal line is why people don't do it,

didn't;t Shane Williams do it vs Scotland  from a cross kick a few years back?

I can see how it might happen - if the player is watching a high ball, he may not be certain if he's in front of, or behind, the goal line.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2015 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by scarletman scarletman wrote:

Law 18
MARK
DEFINITIONS

To make a mark, a player must be on or behind that player’s 22-metre line. A player with one foot on the 22-metre line or behind it is considered to be ‘in the 22’. The player must make a clean catch direct from an opponent’s kick and at the same time shout “Mark”. A mark cannot be made from a kick-off, or a restart kick except for a drop-out.

A kick is awarded for a mark. The place for the kick is the place of the mark.

A player may make a mark even though the ball touched a goal post or crossbar before being caught.

A player from the defending team may make a mark in in-goal.

Interesting - we do indeed learn stuff from this column!

If I understand right, then - no mark can be made if from a penalty or a free kick, the kicking team sends an up-and-under into the opposing 22 - is that right?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic