Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > ORDERED
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Comet a-coming

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Comet a-coming
    Posted: 24 November 2013 at 12:04pm
Great Horizon special on a comet that should be visible in the next week or so.

It's really interesting the way you can test the theories on where Earth's water came from and even the origin of life itself by the data from these comets.

I'd not heard of some awesome work being done by NASA, where they have shown that, using a simulated comet-environment, you can actually get the formation of amino acids (the building blocks of proteins) using only relatively simple chemicals and UV light, even at incredibly low temperatures.

I know we have an astrophysicist on this board - one question I had was that if the theory that the origin of Earth's water originates from impact with a comet is correct, then wouldn't you also expect to get water on Mars as well? 

Just realised that's a stupid question: there's bucket loads of evidence that substantial levels of water has existed on Mars.

Edited by dr_martinov - 25 November 2013 at 12:45pm
Sponsored Links

Cwm_gwendraeth View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cwm_gwendraeth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2013 at 1:21pm
aye.was a good programme. lets hope the third scenario comes truand we see a good show in a couple of weeks.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2013 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by dr_martinov dr_martinov wrote:

It's really interesting the way you can test the theories on where Earth's water came from and even the origin of life itself by the data from these comets.

I'd not heard of some awesome work being done by NASA, where they have shown that, using a simulated comet-environment, you can actually get the formation of amino acids (the building blocks of proteins) using only relatively simple chemicals and UV light, even at incredibly low temperatures.

I know we have an astrophysicist on this board - one question I had was that if the theory that the origin of Earth's water originates from impact with a comet is correct, then wouldn't you also expect to get water on Mars as well? 

A few Qs:

1. It's said that some meteorites came from Mars. How do the scientists know that? What's the nature of the evidence?

2. I heard recently that asteroids contain a lot of gold. How do we know? Is it common? (And how could we get one back down here to fund the Scarlets?)

3. Most importantly - do we need to get our tin hats ready?Wink
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Mrfwon View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrfwon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2013 at 2:57pm
We're doomed! Shocked Ison will plummet into the Sun at a frightening rate of ninty twelve million kilometres an hour causing the Sun to blast monstrous solar radiation falres in our direction. In two weeks time, our planet will start developing 2012 style events. In four weeks time, the colossus volcano beneath the Pacific waves will erupt, emitting enough smoke and ash to cover the entire planet, killing all humanity as we know it. Oh, and the stands in Parc-Y-Scarlets will fall down Wink

Scarlets!!!
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2013 at 2:37pm
..... and gets too close to the sun so burns up almost completely.

Ah well, that's science for you. Unhappy
Mrfwon View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrfwon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2013 at 3:45pm

..... and gets too close to the sun so burns up almost completely.

Ah well, that's science for you. Unhappy
LOL I know! LOL all the hype, all the documentaries, all the shpeel, all the interviews, and what happens...............turns into a dull smudge when looking at telescope images! LOLLOLLOL
Scarlets!!!
AstroScarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AstroScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2013 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

A few Qs:

1. It's said that some meteorites came from Mars. How do the scientists know that? What's the nature of the evidence?

2. I heard recently that asteroids contain a lot of gold. How do we know? Is it common? (And how could we get one back down here to fund the Scarlets?)

3. Most importantly - do we need to get our tin hats ready?Wink

1. Rock Comparison, so the rover on mars analyses the rocks there and then compare that data to the rocks that fall onto Earth. Think they are trying to plan some form of mission to get rocks back from Mars so to analyse them better, which I presume means sending people over.

2. Never knew that! NASA have been talking about missions that would involve landing on large asteroids though!!

Also, to answer you Dr.Martinov - there are theories that we are Martians, and that life was brought over on meteorites from Mars, and then comets also. Don't know how much is in that theory but its definitely an interesting one. 
'Stand up at home if you're watching, that was one of the Heineken Cup great tries'
Gary Coleman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Who are we?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Coleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2013 at 11:25am
Originally posted by AstroScarlet AstroScarlet wrote:

1. Rock Comparison, so the rover on mars analyses the rocks there and then compare that data to the rocks that fall onto Earth. Think they are trying to plan some form of mission to get rocks back from Mars so to analyse them better, which I presume means sending people over.

Did they just "fall off" Mars?
 Who threw them? I bet it was the Indians.

Edited by Gary Coleman - 02 December 2013 at 11:25am
Mrfwon View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrfwon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2013 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by Gary Coleman Gary Coleman wrote:

Originally posted by AstroScarlet AstroScarlet wrote:

Did they just "fall off" Mars?
 Who threw them? I bet it was the Indians.
No, Mars Inc made Mars, so they must have thrown the rocks ShockedLOL
Scarlets!!!
Sosban bach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2013 at 1:06pm
Saw a documentary saying that they will take people to mars and left there to see if they can live there. Using a biodrome for oxygen and such. Not sure how man they are going to take but can you imagine having mars on yor birth cert?! Lmao
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic