Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wales Squad for the 2021 6 Nations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2021 at 3:09pm
Guess no one really knows but what is wrong with Rob Evans? Had a stunner against Bath then gone!?

I had heard something about him but that wouldnt explain his ongoing absence.

WoL said concussion but unless that happened in training, I'm not sure where he picked that up
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872
Sponsored Links

Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2021 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

anyone know the odds on wooden spoon?can't find them anywhere.
Please put some money, even a token amount, on this so that we can rest assured it won’t happen Wink
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2021 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

Please put some money, even a token amount, on this so that we can rest assured it won’t happen Wink
your not far wrongLOL
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2021 at 3:18pm

I remember rhodri williams dad alan having a fiver at i think 500/1 on wales wooden spoon when we finished bottom a good few years ago.
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2021 at 3:36pm

I remember rhodri williams dad alan having a fiver at i think 500/1 on wales wooden spoon when we finished bottom a good few years ago.
Wow, that must’ve been a good occasion. It would’ve been worth a lot then.Clap
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2021 at 3:45pm
Don't know what the odds are but its worth a fiver this year. Cry
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2021 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Form and availabity cocktail, mixed in with some unfathomable calls.

Amos, Beard, Dillon Lewis and Tompkins can count themselves fortunate.

Lewis Hughes, Botham and Sam Parry must be left kicking the skirting boards.

Risky calls on AWJ, Sanjay and Navidi. All could miss the first game or it will be first game they will have played in a while.

Personal note I'm delighted for Lydiate. He has actually been the form 6 in Wales and pretty much carried the O's pack for the last season and a half. Still, the back row is full of players who could well not be around in 2023 (Tips, Navidi, Taulupe, Lydiate).

Quick question for you will ,  what's your take  ( and anyone else on here)  on players with little or no game time eg ken awj ball naivdi and liam being parachuted directly into test rugby?

If my memory serves me right, this rarely pays off for us

They maybe the premier players in wales in their position but are we better off playing the guys who while not as good are actually playing and match fit?

Edited by RR1972 - 20 January 2021 at 3:52pm
Mogwen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2021 at 3:53pm
I cant belive the cardiff props have been chosen. They cant even get in the cardiff 1st XV. surely WGJ is a better option than Lewis. And A N Other would be a better fit than Carre
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2021 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Risky calls on AWJ, Sanjay and Navidi. All could miss the first game or it will be first game they will have played in a while.

Personal note I'm delighted for Lydiate. He has actually been the form 6 in Wales and pretty much carried the O's pack for the last season and a half. Still, the back row is full of players who could well not be around in 2023 (Tips, Navidi, Taulupe, Lydiate).

Quick question for you will ,  what's your take  ( and anyone else on here)  on players with little or no game time eg ken awj ball naivdi and liam being parachuted directly into test rugby?

They maybe the premier players in wales in their position but are we better off playing the guys who while not as good are actually playing and match fit?

Well if you want my halfpenneth I think its crazy playing guys who are not match fit. Having said that it is exactly what fast Eddie is about to do with the all the Saracens players in his squad. They haven't played since November. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2021 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by Mogwen Mogwen wrote:

I cant belive the cardiff props have been chosen. They cant even get in the cardiff 1st XV. surely WGJ is a better option than Lewis. And A N Other would be a better fit than Carre

You are spot on - Domachowski & Thyer are selected to start ahead of Carre & Dillon seems to have disappeared. The Welsh front 5 at the moment look like lambs to the slaughter against Ireland. I sincerely hope I am wrong.
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2021 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by supertaf supertaf wrote:

Guess no one really knows but what is wrong with Rob Evans? Had a stunner against Bath then gone!?

I had heard something about him but that wouldnt explain his ongoing absence.

WoL said concussion but unless that happened in training, I'm not sure where he picked that up
He's suffering with concussion
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2021 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Don't know what the odds are but its worth a fiver this year. Cry

Your were telling me off for saying I don’t think we can expect to beat Ireland yesterday!! 👀

One squad announcement later and you’re putting a 5er on us losing to Italy! LOL
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2021 at 4:22pm
Happy for Lydiate. 

Think Priestland should have got a call up but I can see why not. 

I think it’s good that there’s examples of players going out of fashion and then working themselves back into the team by playing well at club level - Lydiate looked like the game had passed him by at one point but he’s proved he’s still got the skill - just whether he has the pace for international level is my concern.

Happy that J. Evans is in. 

Disappointed for Seb Davies not to get in ahead of Ball - I think he’s got real talent but maybe not enough bulk / line out capabilities?

Disappointed not to see Randall given the nod over Hardy - purely because I’d like to see Hardy playing for us and I’d like to see Randall capped before Eng get him 🤞
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2021 at 4:38pm
That’s a squad picked by a guy who’s out the door if he has another poor campaign. There’s no signs of a building for the future squad it’s a win at all costs one. 
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2021 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

That’s a squad picked by a guy who’s out the door if he has another poor campaign. There’s no signs of a building for the future squad it’s a win at all costs one. 

I would say I think the whole “4 year plan”, pick your squad based on who is gonna be around in 2023 can be taken a bit too far.

Rassie Erasmus took SA from laughing stock to RWC winners in 18 months.

Try and win every game and tournament you’re in - with the best players you’ve got! 
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2021 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

At international level you can expect a returning player to 'empty the tank' so you can at least bank on that.

And you can get away with bringing back a player with decent bench cover.

Wales' problem is they could easily go in to the first game with returning players, or players short of game time at :
2 (Ken)
4 (AWJ)
5 (Ball)
12 (Jonny W)
13 (Foxy)

To add that Navidi, Macloed and Watkin are coming off an injury, and Rhodri Jones and Dillon Lewis are not always first choice at their clubs.

The only players in good international level 'form' right now for me are Tomos Williams, George North, Tips, Lydiate, Biggar/Jarred and Halfpenny.

Not a great looking squad profile.

Edited by Wil Chips - 20 January 2021 at 5:05pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic