Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dan Davies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2020 at 10:51am
Originally posted by EJPT EJPT wrote:

You cant keep everyone sadly, however it hasn’t always worked out when our youngsters move to the Ospreys. 

I was thinking the same a moment ago when thinking of Boyde at the Blues. He doesn't seem to get the same plaudits as Botham, Robinson etc.

As I mentioned, we seem to excel in producing really promising players but we cannot hope to keep them all on our books. In truth it's no different to any working place, there may be 4 junior members of staff but only 1 senior post. So 1 or 2 junior staff will look to competitors for opportunities to become senior staff. 
Sponsored Links

Dic Penderyn View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2020 at 11:04am
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

You cant keep everyone sadly, however it hasn’t always worked out when our youngsters move to the Ospreys. 

I was thinking the same a moment ago when thinking of Boyde at the Blues. He doesn't seem to get the same plaudits as Botham, Robinson etc.

As I mentioned, we seem to excel in producing really promising players but we cannot hope to keep them all on our books. In truth it's no different to any working place, there may be 4 junior members of staff but only 1 senior post. So 1 or 2 junior staff will look to competitors for opportunities to become senior staff. 

Unfortunately it is different to any other work-place:nobody gets a gold watch after 30 years."It's a short career"is a constant refrain when contracts are negotiated,but too often in Wales that seems forgotten.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2020 at 11:21am
Originally posted by Dic Penderyn Dic Penderyn wrote:

Unfortunately it is different to any other work-place:nobody gets a gold watch after 30 years."It's a short career"is a constant refrain when contracts are negotiated,but too often in Wales that seems forgotten.

I meant in terms of career development. Sometimes if you want to progress up the career ladder, you have to look elsewhere.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2020 at 11:32am

I meant in terms of career development. Sometimes if you want to progress up the career ladder, you have to look elsewhere.

Yes,in any other work-place the fact that your competitor for a promotion has many years'service can be a trigger to move elsewhere:in professional sport  should it not be an incentive to stay?
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2020 at 11:37am

Yes,in any other work-place the fact that your competitor for a promotion has many years'service can be a trigger to move elsewhere:in professional sport  should it not be an incentive to stay?

As it stands Dan is 4th choice 7 for us behind Macloed, Cubby & Morgan (in no particular order).  If he sees himself as a 7 & that's where he wants to play then he may have to move to get game time. He would probably go straight in at 2nd best behind Tipuric at the Ospreys. 
Dai Guevara View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai Guevara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2020 at 11:45am
I'd hate to see Dan leave, especially to our "friends" on the dark side. As others have noted he is very quick for a forward, and we should certainly have given him some more time on the bench so that he could come on when the game is opening up and his pace would have been of the greatest use. As GPR noted in an earlier post he started out as an outside centre, another asset which should have given him more bench time, (perhaps under a 6-2 selection)
Before long the Sprays will be looking for someone to follow Tipuric and I'd be surprised if they haven't got a few prospects of their own lined up- there seems to be little shortage of quality open-sides in Wales.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2020 at 11:46am

As it stands Dan is 4th choice 7 for us behind Macloed, Cubby & Morgan (in no particular order).  If he sees himself as a 7 & that's where he wants to play then he may have to move to get game time. He would probably go straight in at 2nd best behind Tipuric at the Ospreys. 

I'd argue that,at this moment,he's second choice 7,but poor selection at 6 has denied him a chance.
Mr Ian View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2020 at 11:56am
If it s a loan for the rest of season should be right for the player who can have the right game time...
If it s a definetely move, I think should be' an error. We have different players that at the end of season will have decide what to do in their next future 
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2020 at 12:00pm

I'd argue that,at this moment,he's second choice 7,but poor selection at 6 has denied him a chance.

That really would depend on where Josh wants to play. He has been correctly selected for the Welsh squad due to his outstanding performances at 7. The fantastic impact that Jac Morgan has made will have Dan correctly questioning his future. International/regional rugby at the moment invariably sees the 6 as another lineout option with ideally a carrying 8 and scavenging 7. If that 7 can also carry effectively - Josh & Ollie Griffiths spring to mind in the Welsh game then all the better. 
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2020 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by Mr Ian Mr Ian wrote:

If it s a loan for the rest of season should be right for the player who can have the right game time...
If it s a definetely move, I think should be' an error. We have different players that at the end of season will have decide what to do in their next future 

Mr Ian you've solved the problem. A loan deal with be great for Dan and the Scarlets. 
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2020 at 12:05pm

For me, he is behind Macloed & Morgan.
EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2020 at 12:13pm
Dan should take every opportunity presented to him. If thats with a rival so be it. Playing time is in his best interests he would be a welcome addition at the Ospreys as much as I hate to see it. I think he is at Swansea university anyhow, which the Scarlets and Ospreys partner with I believe. 
Sosban89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2020 at 12:20pm
I don't really think anyone can moan about management if Dan goes. This has nothing to do with poor management, and rather a wealth of riches in a single position. When looking at cubby/Macleod, they would walk into most regions match day squads. You then have an inform Jac, so Dan is somehow 4th choice. 

I think the pragmatic approach would be to let Cubby go. Not because I think he's the worst of the 4, but it appears he is likely to be away with the Welsh squad more under Pivac. Due to this, it'd be better to have a younger less experienced player available all year around.
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2020 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by Sosban89 Sosban89 wrote:

I don't really think anyone can moan about management if Dan goes. This has nothing to do with poor management, and rather a wealth of riches in a single position. When looking at cubby/Macleod, they would walk into most regions match day squads. You then have an inform Jac, so Dan is somehow 4th choice. 

I think the pragmatic approach would be to let Cubby go. Not because I think he's the worst of the 4, but it appears he is likely to be away with the Welsh squad more under Pivac. Due to this, it'd be better to have a younger less experienced player available all year around.
I think the chances of Cubby retaining his place with Wales is very slim especially when Ellis Jenkins returns and Olly Griffiths is fit.
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2020 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Originally posted by Sosban89 Sosban89 wrote:

I think the chances of Cubby retaining his place with Wales is very slim especially when Ellis Jenkins returns and Olly Griffiths is fit.

I agree there.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2020 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

That really would depend on where Josh wants to play. He has been correctly selected for the Welsh squad due to his outstanding performances at 7. The fantastic impact that Jac Morgan has made will have Dan correctly questioning his future. International/regional rugby at the moment invariably sees the 6 as another lineout option with ideally a carrying 8 and scavenging 7. If that 7 can also carry effectively - Josh & Ollie Griffiths spring to mind in the Welsh game then all the better. 
Not arguing with any of that,but Macleod hasn't been available.I believe,in terms of players currently on the books,our first choice back-row,taking into account all your observations,would be :Macleod,Morgan and Kal.That would leave Kennedy 2nd choice 6,Dan 2nd choice 7and Cassiem for 8(with Tuipolutu assuring the future).Cassiem,Shingler and Cubby,whatever we think of them,are not the future.Maybe Dan is not the future,but accommodating Cassiem at 6 has effectively denied him the chance of pushing his case from the bench.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic