Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Connacht v Scarlets match thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 10111213>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Feverpitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2020 at 11:48am
Originally posted by John John wrote:

So so much better than before. It's all been said above but Asquith suddenly has become very important to us. Watching Wales and the Scarlets has been similarly tedious this season with both teams having no ideas how to do anything to break a defence. The departure of Hadleigh has left a massive hole because he could read a defence and exploit its weakness. Last night showed Asquith at his best. He has to be the fulcrum around which our attack revolves.

Personally think Asquith is our best option at 12 as a ball playing centre who has the skills to create space for others both inside and outside him.
I still don't get Stef Hughes, yes there are infrequent flashes of skill and sound defence but playing him at 12 stifles everything outside him, he may be a good captain and solid player but I don't see anything to make him a regional player..
Asquith at 12 and give Tyler Morgan a run at 13 while Foxy is away
Sponsored Links

ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2020 at 11:58am
Originally posted by Mogwen Mogwen wrote:

Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

I thought Ed Kennedy was excellent and got through a huge amount of unseen work. With the international boys away and Shingler injured I think Kennedy, Morgan and Kalamafoni is the best back-row we can field.

Totally agree. And it wont be long before Morgan Jones is a regular starter even with a full squad available. He did some hard graft last night.

I was about to post a message in praise of Morgan. He's having to mature very quickly, and he's getting there. He's a good line out option, although the weather has done him and throws no favours.

Can I also add a quick note to say how impressed I've been with Danny Drake's brief appearances in the last two games. Seems a no nonsense grafter who does the basics well. Glad he's on board with us. 
trinity60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trinity60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2020 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by Feverpitch Feverpitch wrote:

Originally posted by John John wrote:

So so much better than before. It's all been said above but Asquith suddenly has become very important to us. Watching Wales and the Scarlets has been similarly tedious this season with both teams having no ideas how to do anything to break a defence. The departure of Hadleigh has left a massive hole because he could read a defence and exploit its weakness. Last night showed Asquith at his best. He has to be the fulcrum around which our attack revolves.

Personally think Asquith is our best option at 12 as a ball playing centre who has the skills to create space for others both inside and outside him.
I still don't get Stef Hughes, yes there are infrequent flashes of skill and sound defence but playing him at 12 stifles everything outside him, he may be a good captain and solid player but I don't see anything to make him a regional player..
Asquith at 12 and give Tyler Morgan a run at 13 while Foxy is away

After seeing the way he was holding his knee and the pain he seemed do be in on Friday night I honestly believe that the Aviva on Friday was his farewell game.  
I don’t think he’s got it I’m him to recover from another serious injury at his age.
I hope I’m wrong but the look on his face and the nearly no mention of the injury is quite alarming.
Dic Penderyn View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2020 at 1:32pm
Always try to find the time to watch every game twice-but this is the first time in a long while that I'm looking forward to doing so.Congratulations to everyone involved!

Edited by Dic Penderyn - 15 November 2020 at 1:32pm
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2020 at 2:41pm
Kalamafoni is such an asset for us through the international periods. So solid, a magnet for defenders. 
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2020 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

Kalamafoni is such an asset for us through the international periods. So solid, a magnet for defenders. 
When Lousi offloaded the ball and Kal was charging through I did not envy the Connacht fullback. 
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2020 at 5:04pm

Kalamfoni and Jac Morgans stats are phenomenal!!! Great yo see Kennedy put a massive shift last night, as did Morgan Jones .

Four of the starting XV last night aged 22 or under, Jac Morgan 20, 30 tackles astonishing, Conbeer and Morgan Jones both 21 and Blacker 22.

We have seen other youngsters I want to see have a run Costelow, Knott and Dan Davis, I appreciate the back row strength is formidable .
Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2020 at 5:46pm

Reminds me of David Lyons the way he picks the ball up at the base of the scrum.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2020 at 6:04pm
Yes. He’s been a great investment.
John View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2020 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

Originally posted by Mogwen Mogwen wrote:

Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

I thought Ed Kennedy was excellent and got through a huge amount of unseen work. With the international boys away and Shingler injured I think Kennedy, Morgan and Kalamafoni is the best back-row we can field.

Totally agree. And it wont be long before Morgan Jones is a regular starter even with a full squad available. He did some hard graft last night.

I was about to post a message in praise of Morgan. He's having to mature very quickly, and he's getting there. He's a good line out option, although the weather has done him and throws no favours.

Can I also add a quick note to say how impressed I've been with Danny Drake's brief appearances in the last two games. Seems a no nonsense grafter who does the basics well. Glad he's on board with us. 

We went into the Zebre match with our 6th, 7th and 8th choice locks. Not so long ago we barely had 4 locks. None of the three let us down against Zebre and all three would or will improve with game time. 
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2020 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by Rob o'r Bont Rob o'r Bont wrote:

Reminds me of David Lyons the way he picks the ball up at the base of the scrum.
Yep. 
Poor old Dai, he had to carry the entire pack on his shoulders. It was only him kept Martin Roberts from being smashed when he was our 9. He'd pick the ball out and give it to Mart nearly every scrum.

Sione is a beast of a workhorse, but we also have Cassiem, Jac, Kennedy. We've all the ingredients for a great squad, if we can just get the half-backs working efficiently more often.
EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2020 at 9:12pm
Lyons was great played every game one season if i remember rightly. Hard as nails 
lofty evans View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2020 at 9:28pm
The Morgan name yet again flourishing in Scarlet. 

Great to see us scoring tries at bloody last.
In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2020 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by EJPT EJPT wrote:

Lyons was great played every game one season if i remember rightly. Hard as nails 
I think it was every minute of every game or something mad like that.
His contract, and bringing Stevo back, nearly bankrupted us.
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2020 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by EJPT EJPT wrote:

He was an outstanding player but he played when we had a really weak pack. I often wonder how much more effective he would be if he was playing for us now.
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2020 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by gnasher1975 gnasher1975 wrote:

It's frustrating. If you look back to the Edinburgh game if they had that constant feedback from the ref, it would have been a different game. He has highlighted from the start what each player needs to do and stuck to his word...... brilliant bit of reffing. He also praised them after every good scrum so players seemed more determined to keep him happy....for me the game benefited immensely for it 

As a former teacher, I always found that praise worked far better than criticism... I hope to see more of this young (?) ref... if only they ALL let players know EXACTLY what they want in the scrums, and keep talking to the props even after the ball goes in... same for the line-out. If he keeps it up, he'll be reffing tests in no time.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 10111213>
  Share Topic