Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Two games , no tries ..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2020 at 11:33am
I don’t think its fair to pin all of the attacking woes on Dinky, the outside backs have offered very little and the speed at which the ball leaves the ruck is the main cause for concern. Our best attacking idea seems to be a little grubber in behind the defence and thats a 50:50 play at the best of times. 

I think we missed the Hadleigh Parkes type player where even with slow ball he is soaking up 2-3 defenders and making it to the gain line. 
Sponsored Links

RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2020 at 11:36am
Good call Dan at 10 is a conservative choice so is stef at 12 , both good players but not the most attacking options we have it maybe a case where we pick one or the other but not both together

Also we have gone from stevo as backs coach to dai flaningan, no disrespect but there is a drop in quality there to

Kelly has a big reputation as a forwards  coach, but we failed to defend a line out maul that effectively cost us the game but more importantly  we failed to have the courage of our convictions to eschew a kick at goal at   least attempt  one kick to the corner and for  the try.

Don't get me wrong we weren't awful by any stretch of the imagination but when they were down to 14 men we managed to score just 6 points but gave away over 20 in that period

Surely we should be doing better with our numerical advantage either by going for a line out drive against a side missing a defender or getting it wider and using our 1 man over lap

puzzling why we didn't do so and in all honesty didn't even attempt to do so

Edited by RR1972 - 06 October 2020 at 11:37am
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2020 at 11:38am
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Good call Dan at 10 is a conservative choice so is stef at 12 , both good players but not the most attacking options we have

Also we have gone from stevo as backs coach to dai flaningan, no disrespect but there is a drop in quality there to

Kelly has a big reputation as a forwards  coach, but we failed to defend a line out maul that effectively cost us the game but more importantly  we failed to have the courage of our convictions to eschew a kick at goal at   least attempt  one kick to the corner and for  the try.

Don't get me wrong we weren't awful by any stretch of the imagination but when they were down to 14 men we managed to score just 6 points but gave away over 20 in that period

Surely we should be doing better with our numerical advantage either by going for a line out drive against a side missing a defender or getting it wider and using our 1 man over lap

Sometimes there is no defending a well set maul I am afraid.

One thing I'd like to highlight was Dinky's kicks to touch were superb especially when kicking from a penalty. I wish we had gone to touch following the red card rather than take the (albeit very well taken) 3 points.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2020 at 11:42am
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Good call Dan at 10 is a conservative choice so is stef at 12 , both good players but not the most attacking options we have

Sometimes there is no defending a well set maul I am afraid.

One thing I'd like to highlight was Dinky's kicks to touch were superb especially when kicking from a penalty. I wish we had gone to touch following the red card rather than take the (albeit very well taken) 3 points.

Very true which meant or refusal to try one was even odder, especially when POM was off the field

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2020 at 11:43am
Originally posted by EJPT EJPT wrote:

I don’t think its fair to pin all of the attacking woes on Dinky, the outside backs have offered very little and the speed at which the ball leaves the ruck is the main cause for concern. Our best attacking idea seems to be a little grubber in behind the defence and thats a 50:50 play at the best of times. 

I think we missed the Hadleigh Parkes type player where even with slow ball he is soaking up 2-3 defenders and making it to the gain line. 

Indeed what you say is correct. Look I don't think anyone on here doesn't value Dinky & what he can bring especially in poor weather conditions when tactical kicking is at a premium. However we compound the problem of picking him at 10 with his limited ability to threaten the line by selecting someone at 12 who is equally unthreatening. Saturday's conditions were calling out for a physical 12 to get us over the gainline. With Johnny unavailable why not Tyler who as I have said before is 15 kgs bigger than Steff and much quicker. 

With very limited threats at 10/12 opposition defences can easily blitz our outside backs with nothing keeping them honest inside. 
Sosban bach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2020 at 12:02pm
It’s the combo of dinky, steff and a totally out of form foxy that tbh won’t offer much creativity of line breaking potential. Get Asquith in there at 12 and give Morgan a go at 13 now.
Mugwuffin View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mugwuffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2020 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by Sosban bach Sosban bach wrote:

It’s the combo of dinky, steff and a totally out of form foxy that tbh won’t offer much creativity of line breaking potential. Get Asquith in there at 12 and give Morgan a go at 13 now.
It’s a bit early to call Foxy “totally out of form” isn’t it? He’s played one match and, one charge-down aside, didn’t have a bad game. 
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2020 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by scarletsrules scarletsrules wrote:

I think Dan is a decent outside half for us and the 2 games vs Bath and Toulon in Jan 2018 showed exactly what he is capable of , the conditions on saturday certainly didnt help matters and Munster didnt even look that attacking, its just they broke through tackles and had piggy back penalties into dangerous positions where they then scored tries from or had 1 crappy kick given back to them with a lazy defence allowing them to score their first try.

Munster were giving penalties away for fun at times and in areas where there were points on offer, so we were always going to take these points in the weather rather than be more attack minded and go for points

in fairness they scored 3 trys we scored none so they were a bit more of an attacking threat than us LOLLOL
Sosban bach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2020 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by Mugwuffin Mugwuffin wrote:

Originally posted by Sosban bach Sosban bach wrote:

It’s a bit early to call Foxy “totally out of form” isn’t it? He’s played one match and, one charge-down aside, didn’t have a bad game. 
He is out of form as he hasn’t played? Wasn’t giving 100% as he’s being eased back into it. It’s not a dig at him it’s just obvious after being out for so long. 
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2020 at 6:05pm
2 games, no tries... But before that, 2 games 11 tries...
I know we are disappointed but let's not get carried away like Barcelona fans booing Messi if he didn't score a goal. 

We have played Toulon without Patch, Foxy, Liam...Then Munster, without Patch (OK he came on towards the end), Johnny Wiliams, Liam and Mcnicholl.
We have decent depth but we have come up against 2 very good sides. Should have won one of the fixtures, could have won both. 
Fact is we can get by against some teams without those players. We can push and challenge teams even without those players. But all those that are missing is pretty much an entire back line of sheer quality. 

Dan Jones is a decent 10. Steff Hughes is a decent squad player in midfield. When both play in the same side, it isn't going to allow the backs play with pace against the top sides. 

We don't need to make a big thing that we didn't score a try against Munster or Toulon IMO. 

As for the pack with Kelly, they have come on leaps and bounds already in the very limited time he has had them. That's evident already in my opinion. It's not going to click right away. He's 4 games in to his reign as forwards coach and progress is evident imo. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic