Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Scarlets Internationals availibility.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2020 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by greypower1 greypower1 wrote:

Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

Originally posted by 157cb 157cb wrote:

Pro 14 to start on the 1st October. 
I'd like to think it will be later to not go on same time as internationals. 

How can you train and play rugby whilst keeping 2 metres apart?
Drakeford is very cautious, I can't see him allowing a start until next year, if then.
We may have the virus under control but it's still around and lurking in the background and with the winter likely to worsen the situation it looks very delicately poised.
How do you think the English football league is fully back already and has been for weeks?
Sponsored Links

PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2020 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by minded minded wrote:

They stated at the bottom of the fixtures update that they're working toward Round 1 of Pro14 to be weekend of October 3rd/4th
cheers. I was hoping for summer rugby. One day maybe. 
minded View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2020 at 3:47pm

They stated at the bottom of the fixtures update that they're working toward Round 1 of Pro14 to be weekend of October 3rd/4th
Somewhat torn on the idea. Sure it would be great to be sitting in PYS with decent weather but would mean missing out on watching most weekends of club cricket as Scarlets would come first. The sport would probably lose even further participation with some players choosing cricket over rugby too.
ScarletBear View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2020 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Originally posted by ScarletBear ScarletBear wrote:

I think the French Top14 in particular have scuppered any big change in season structure. Summers in France are very different to UK/Ire - everyone goes away for a month. They would lose sponsors. I can understand their viewpoint.
The Top 14 season starts in August so that’s nonsense 

The French holiday in July much more than August. I used to live there. So the comment has some validity.

But I took it from this:

"If we start in January, we would play throughout the summer with problems including ticket sales, television, sponsors and player safety. We would be competing against big global sporting events.

Maybe I am reading too much into the article, but not enough for it to be dismissed as nonsense.

Edited by ScarletBear - 24 July 2020 at 5:09pm
Scarlets before Wales
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2020 at 5:11pm

Drakeford is very cautious, I can't see him allowing a start until next year, if then.
We may have the virus under control but it's still around and lurking in the background and with the winter likely to worsen the situation it looks very delicately poised.
How do you think the English football league is fully back already and has been for weeks?
Well the last time I watched soccer there were no mauls, scrums, smother tackles etc.  I'm sure the players and staff are tested a couple of times every week at substantial expense to the club's.  Not sure we could afford that.
It's the English football leagues that are playing soccer. The Scots are not. We would need the permission of the First Minister to play rugby.
Keep the faith
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2020 at 5:13pm

It’s already been announced. It’ll be back sooner rather than later 
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2020 at 5:36pm
Hope you are right.  I'll be delighted when it can start.
Keep the faith
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2020 at 6:07pm
Players being tested every week.
Rich (Bris) View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich (Bris) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2020 at 10:21pm

I think the French Top14 in particular have scuppered any big change in season structure. Summers in France are very different to UK/Ire - everyone goes away for a month. They would lose sponsors. I can understand their viewpoint.
I don't buy that for a second. Easy excuse for them maybe that's maybe being easily swallowed. Catalan Dragons have done OK on that front and now a new team in Toulouse hoping for super league status.
Catalan averaging just under 9000 per year. 

Though a big amount of that average is fans of the away side traveling from England for a long weekend or week in the South of France and to watch their team
Exkixu View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exkixu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2020 at 9:04am

Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

The Top 14 season starts in August so that’s nonsense 

The French holiday in July much more than August. I used to live there. So the comment has some validity.

But I took it from this:

"If we start in January, we would play throughout the summer with problems including ticket sales, television, sponsors and player safety. We would be competing against big global sporting events.

Maybe I am reading too much into the article, but not enough for it to be dismissed as nonsense.

It is not.
Also, Top14 starts (if at all) on August 24th. Football is usually the same, last week of August or so at the earliest and only because the schedule is packed a.f.
1 Xavier Rush   2 Rhys Priestland   3 David Lyons   Cardiff Blues - Scarlets, 26/09/09      

More carries than any of our forwards. Priestland Fan Club Proud Member
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2020 at 9:24am

Somewhat torn on the idea. Sure it would be great to be sitting in PYS with decent weather but would mean missing out on watching most weekends of club cricket as Scarlets would come first. The sport would probably lose even further participation with some players choosing cricket over rugby too.
the amateur game doesn't need to change. They can run as normal to tie in with school rugby etc which means  numbers remain unaffected. I don't even think you'd miss that much cricket. They are always Saturdays aren't they? How many Saturday games have we had in the last10years? You'd get the occasional clash no doubt but that manyimo.
If union wants to grow as a sport a global calendar is a must a season change is needed as well. How many neutrals are put off by a soaking at Parc yScarlets. Sunshine and attacking rugby... The game becomes a better spectacle to draw in the neutrals or lost fans and the summer evenings could mean more money spent in behind the bars etc. Financially imo a no brainer. But it's what I've wanted for years. No doubt there's arguments for keeping it as is. But there's ways around themimo. .
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2020 at 10:06am

the amateur game doesn't need to change. They can run as normal to tie in with school rugby etc which means  numbers remain unaffected. I don't even think you'd miss that much cricket. They are always Saturdays aren't they? How many Saturday games have we had in the last10years? You'd get the occasional clash no doubt but that manyimo.
If union wants to grow as a sport a global calendar is a must a season change is needed as well. How many neutrals are put off by a soaking at Parc yScarlets. Sunshine and attacking rugby... The game becomes a better spectacle to draw in the neutrals or lost fans and the summer evenings could mean more money spent in behind the bars etc. Financially imo a no brainer. But it's what I've wanted for years. No doubt there's arguments for keeping it as is. But there's ways around themimo. .

If the regions have any hope for a viable, long term future then a calendar needs to be agreed whereby the Internationals are seen more of in their club colours. That, to me, is far more important than the weather conditions. 
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2020 at 12:41pm

Nobody loves there cricket more than me, as a player, coach and a spectator .

Rugby in the NH is an absolute shambles, while realising the game is driven by International matches and the money it brings .Club/regional rugby needs a structured season, a global one! which also as player welfare at its forefront .

As a Scarlets season ticket holder I want to see our star players on the field at the Parc far more often, as do our young supporters .

If we not have a global season now? we will never have one . If not I fear for the long term future of rugby union. Last season the weather was wet, cold and horrible for every game bar two .
Dic Penderyn View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2020 at 12:49pm

Nobody loves there cricket more than me, as a player, coach and a spectator .

Rugby in the NH is an absolute shambles, while realising the game is driven by International matches and the money it brings .Club/regional rugby needs a structured season, a global one! which also as player welfare at its forefront .

As a Scarlets season ticket holder I want to see our star players on the field at the Parc far more often, as do our young supporters .

If we not have a global season now? we will never have one . If not I fear for the long term future of rugby union. Last season the weather was wet, cold and horrible for every game bar two .

Absolutely spot on.The future of the game really is at stake.
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2020 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

[QUOTE=157cb]

If the regions have any hope for a viable, long term future then a calendar needs to be agreed whereby the Internationals are seen more of in their club colours. That, to me, is far more important than the weather conditions. 
[/QUOTEAgree but to me it'shand in hand. If a change is made, the international window will be completely different to thedleage campaign. November through to Feb could allbeinternational that ties in with AI and 6N. Leagues around the world to kick off the sametime aroundfrom January through September. 
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2020 at 4:46pm
IF we get a more sensibly aligned calendar where less club matches happen in international windows, or maybe we get to the stage where club happens only when international doesn’t, a couple of questions come to mind:

1. When do the international players get a break, for their welfare, other than when recovering from injury (rehab not really a break)?

2. Where/when do the talented youngsters get their development opportunities and time in the first team?
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic