Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Scarlets Vs wru

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2020 at 6:33am
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Originally posted by Speedy Speedy wrote:

Well if we are faced with 1/3rd of our budget, its not like we are then over a barrell and tied to them anymore is it? 

Rumblings in Ireland over similar issues too. So much for the union model being the way forward eh.

Time to cut our losses. We could see a mass breakaway here.
the irfu centrally contract all the players dont they? The provinces all seem happy from what i have read/seen, where can we breakaway to? 
The ADIDAS league of breakaway regions/teams LOL
Sponsored Links

KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2020 at 10:01am

Well if we are faced with 1/3rd of our budget, its not like we are then over a barrell and tied to them anymore is it? 

Rumblings in Ireland over similar issues too. So much for the union model being the way forward eh.

the irfu centrally contract all the players dont they? The provinces all seem happy from what i have read/seen, where can we breakaway to? 

All the contracts are owned by the IRFU and around 20 are elite test contracts. The trouble with having a Union owned model is that if the Union is in trouble, then everything owned by the Union is in trouble. Which means there may be a difficult choice to be made if cuts are to be forced.

People can bang on about how bad it is for teams to be millions in debt to a rich benefactor, but at least those clubs are in the hands of those benefactors who want the best for the club. Not a Union who might shut it down or move all the best players elsewhere.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2020 at 10:04am
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

The ADIDAS league of breakaway regions/teams LOL

I wish we'd sell retro kits that one would be a great success
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2020 at 10:05am
Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

All the contracts are owned by the IRFU and around 20 are elite test contracts. The trouble with having a Union owned model is that if the Union is in trouble, then everything owned by the Union is in trouble. Which means there may be a difficult choice to be made if cuts are to be forced.

People can bang on about how bad it is for teams to be millions in debt to a rich benefactor, but at least those clubs are in the hands of those benefactors who want the best for the club. Not a Union who might shut it down or move all the best players elsewhere.

The IRFU are loaded aren't they? don't they own a load of prime land in Dublin or something

Are the irish provinces owned by the union or the member clubs or are they private businesses?

It's all a mess at the moment , it's a matter of time before some clubs go bust

Edited by RR1972 - 16 June 2020 at 10:07am
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2020 at 10:31am

The IRFU are loaded aren't they? don't they own a load of prime land in Dublin or something

It's all relative though isn't it.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/munster-braced-for-worst-of-financial-crisis-due-to-thomond-park-debt-1.4263288

Quote Are the irish provinces owned by the union or the member clubs or are they private businesses?

They're branches of the Union. Union owned.

Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2020 at 12:36pm
Not a great time to have 38 professionals on your payroll ( region or WRU I mean) and funding a region (WRU).

Anyway, Scarlets positioning reflects competent leadership.

Edited by Wil Chips - 16 June 2020 at 12:41pm
stradeyscarlet72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stradeyscarlet72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2020 at 1:03pm
I agree, thank goodness we’re not in the financial state we were some years ago , though we need to box clever. 
Scarlet Emperor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2020 at 1:43pm
Yeah I feel for our directors and the position their in.They wrote their debt off last year only to be faced with another debt pile when this finishes. Their own companies may be in hardship as well. 
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2020 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Not a great time to have 38 professionals on your payroll ( region or WRU I mean) and funding a region (WRU).

Off topic but why have we picked 38 player to  have in the elite group ? seems a random number to select

and what happens when a big name player returns to wales, say felatau  decided to come back and play in wales  does the squad increase to 39 or does someone get axed from the elite squad?

are these elite players all only on a 1 year contract?

all seems very odd

Edited by RR1972 - 16 June 2020 at 2:20pm
ScarletBear View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2020 at 5:26pm

Off topic but why have we picked 38 player to  have in the elite group ? seems a random number to select

and what happens when a big name player returns to wales, say felatau  decided to come back and play in wales  does the squad increase to 39 or does someone get axed from the elite squad?

all seems very odd

My guess is they had a budget, worked out who was to be in the group, estimated how much money they needed to put aside and then started at #1 and by they got to #38 the budget was maxed out. Anyone else added would need an increased budget.
Scarlets before Wales
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2020 at 5:37pm

all seems very odd
The region takes the risk on contract length and the WRU commitment is for one year. If the player is dropped from the 38 in year 2, the WRU contribution is halved. Make of that what you will
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2020 at 5:38pm

Time to bite the bullet and close the Dragons/ Sell Rodney Parade
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2020 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

all seems very odd

The region takes the risk on contract length and the WRU commitment is for one year. If the player is dropped from the 38 in year 2, the WRU contribution is halved. Make of that what you will

Yes, a legacy of the old central contracts that....see Amos, Baker, Tyler Morgan and a few others given central deals and then dropped. Not a great outcome for the regions really.
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2020 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

I can think of an opinion, often expressed on social media, built on shifting sand and about as much logic as an overly refreshed partygoer at 4am, who would tout this nonsense.

Equally, there are those that trust in the governing body. For them, it comes as a huge shock when the proverbial train hits the buffers happens.

In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2020 at 6:39pm

🎯
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2020 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

Time to bite the bullet and close the Dragons/ Sell Rodney Parade
🎯
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic