Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Corey Baldwin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2020 at 11:34am
Originally posted by EJPT EJPT wrote:

Originally posted by ScarletBear ScarletBear wrote:

Originally posted by Dic Penderyn Dic Penderyn wrote:

Originally posted by 157cb 157cb wrote:

Disagree on all three, many Pro players are not great tacklers . 

Dan Thomas should have been a 7 for us when none were selected,rated by many as one of the best players in English Premiership last season .Same to an extent with Nic Cudd .Cubby was only given his chance when Easters had left .

Josh Adams a phenomenal try scorer as a 18 year old the other two mentioned above had alleged attitude problems, as a coach myself be it a different sport . I would have loved to have three such naturally gifted talents to coach, I will say it again poor  man management failed these three young Scarlets.

That is my opinion and I will stick by it, all three have shown the Region made mistakes by releasing them .

Its all about bums on seats guys!

Agree with you totally,although I think letting Cudd go was indefensible,more so than Dan Thomas at the time.Cudd went on to be a consistently good,genuine flanker in a poor team.
What bothered me most about Jordan was that he was never really given a chance at 10.Mark Jones publicly talked him up as an outside-half,and displayed an intention to pick him there,but it never happened.Playing at wing or 15 he was always going to be exposed as the last line of defence,and it duly happened.By the time he left he was no longer thought of as a fly-half.A pity.

It is harder to defend at #10 than wing or FB.
Arguable, even with poor tackling you can hold someone up at 10 and the forwards will finish the tackle. At wing or fullback its 1v1. Either way if you are a defensive liability teams will target you.

15 is the hardest position to defend from imo,

10 you have centres outside you and a scrum half and back row inside you and a full back behind you

on the wing you have centres inside you and a full back behind you

at full back your generally the last line of defence miss a tackle and its usually a try plus you get the worry of having up and unders dropped on you with attackers in pursuit

however your far more likely to have to make a tackle at ten that 15 in the modern in the game, line breaks are at a premium. where as the 10 is constantly being run at by the opposition centres and back rowers

If you can't tackle in the pro game your in for a tough time, it's what held the likes of matthew morgan back from being a regular welsh international.

However there are few in the welsh set up who do have poor techniques

I tell you who is a dreadful tackler in terms of technique George north for a big man he is powder puff, Tomos Williams is a poor tackler and has cost wales at least 3 trys in the last 12 months and patchell is another with a poor technique he is far too high  in the tackle and that leads to him taking too many knocks to the head  

Edited by RR1972 - 10 July 2020 at 11:51am
Sponsored Links

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2020 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Originally posted by EJPT EJPT wrote:

Originally posted by ScarletBear ScarletBear wrote:

Originally posted by Dic Penderyn Dic Penderyn wrote:

Originally posted by 157cb 157cb wrote:

Disagree on all three, many Pro players are not great tacklers . 

Dan Thomas should have been a 7 for us when none were selected,rated by many as one of the best players in English Premiership last season .Same to an extent with Nic Cudd .Cubby was only given his chance when Easters had left .

Josh Adams a phenomenal try scorer as a 18 year old the other two mentioned above had alleged attitude problems, as a coach myself be it a different sport . I would have loved to have three such naturally gifted talents to coach, I will say it again poor  man management failed these three young Scarlets.

That is my opinion and I will stick by it, all three have shown the Region made mistakes by releasing them .

Its all about bums on seats guys!

Agree with you totally,although I think letting Cudd go was indefensible,more so than Dan Thomas at the time.Cudd went on to be a consistently good,genuine flanker in a poor team.
What bothered me most about Jordan was that he was never really given a chance at 10.Mark Jones publicly talked him up as an outside-half,and displayed an intention to pick him there,but it never happened.Playing at wing or 15 he was always going to be exposed as the last line of defence,and it duly happened.By the time he left he was no longer thought of as a fly-half.A pity.

It is harder to defend at #10 than wing or FB.
Arguable, even with poor tackling you can hold someone up at 10 and the forwards will finish the tackle. At wing or fullback its 1v1. Either way if you are a defensive liability teams will target you.

15 is the hardest position to defend from imo,

10 you have centres outside you and a scrum half and back row inside you and a full back behind you

on the wing you have centres inside you and a full back behind you

at full back your generally the last line of defence miss a tackle and its usually a try plus you get the worry of having up and unders dropped on you with attackers in pursuit

however your far more likely to have to make a tackle at ten that 15 in the modern in the game, line breaks are at a premium. where as the 10 is constantly being run at by the opposition centres and back rowers

If you can't tackle in the pro game your in for a tough time, it's what held the likes of matthew morgan back from being a regular welsh international.

However there are few in the welsh set up who do have poor techniques

I tell you who is a dreadful tackler in terms of technique George north for a big man he is powder puff, Tomos Williams is a poor tackler and has cost wales at least 3 trys in the last 12 months and patchell is another with a poor technique he is far too high  in the tackle and that leads to him taking too many knocks to the head  

Agree with you RR 1972. Having played to a reasonable standard at 15 & 10 I always found 15 more difficult. Positioning and pace were pretty fundamental for a 15 as, of course, was tackling technique. North's size should make him a decent tackler but he tends to go high which leaves him vulnerable. Tomos had a poor 6 nations for me defensively & frankly I am yet to see what everyone raves about - I would have picked Rhodri Williams ahead of him in all honesty.

Patchell is an interesting case. Apparently he was playing to instructions in going high on Kerevi as the management felt his height was a disadvantage & was leading to him having too many head knocks. Any player who wants to improve his tackling technique should watch a full game of Tipuric, any game, the man is a machine.
Feverpitch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Feverpitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2020 at 12:03pm
Eastern outpost wrote:

Tom Prydie had a couple of injuries, one almost straight after another and was barely fit during the season.

Jonny Evans was injured early in the season and got fit only just before lockdown. Whether that included a relapse or second injury, I can’t recall.
Jon got injured against Leinster didnt he and then got injured with a separate injury in his come back.

Was fit all season, played very well in run outs with The Quins, but for some reason Brad would not select him above Hardy even when he was playing poorly. When Hardy was injured , Jon had 1 pretty good game in loss to Ulster, then Covid struck. Overall treated pretty shoddily by Brad, as was in my opinion Corey and Tom James.

Edited by Feverpitch - 10 July 2020 at 12:13pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Feverpitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2020 at 12:12pm
Was fit all season, played very well in run outs with The Quins, but for some reason Brad would not select him above Hardy even when he was playing poorly. When Hardy was injured , Jon had 1 pretty good game in loss to Ulster, then Covid struck. Overall treated pretty shoddily by Brad, as was in my opinion Corey and Tom James.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Feverpitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2020 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by supertaf supertaf wrote:

Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

Tom Prydie had a couple of injuries, one almost straight after another and was barely fit during the season.

Jonny Evans was injured early in the season and got fit only just before lockdown. Whether that included a relapse or second injury, I can’t recall.
Jon got injured against Leinster didnt he and then got injured with a separate injury in his come back.

minded View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2020 at 12:44pm
Not sure why this thread has become a catch all for moans about departing players, yes we've lost a promising youngster in Corey but the others are squad level players which we'll hopefully sign better replacements.
turkishrebel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2020 at 1:10pm
time this thread was closed now. going round in circles. corey has gone and good luck to him
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2020 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by turkishrebel turkishrebel wrote:

time this thread was closed now. going round in circles. corey has gone and good luck to him

Tbh we should be more concerned about survival and retaining And paying the players we have , as I suspect some will be leaving, not obsessing about a player who has not proved himself at the top table at all and who seemed keen to go to his true mother country England. I agree  that this thread is now a bit of a  ground hog day 🤨  
Dic Penderyn View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2020 at 2:51pm
I too think that the thread should be closed.Were I a wealthy man,however,I would bet a significant amount of money that the topic will be re-visited before Christmas.
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2020 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by Feverpitch Feverpitch wrote:

Eastern outpost wrote:

Should a coach pick every player just to keep them happy even if he doesn’t rate a particular player? Corey had plenty of game time. He left because he wants to play for England and it’s about time people on here got over it. We’ve got bigger things to worry about at the moment.
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2020 at 3:18pm
Going slightly off topic, but I have a bad feeling that we won't see any rugby in Wales this year.  Mark Drakeford's comments on scrums was pretty negative.  We would need to eliminate the virus, like New Zealand, in order to play rugby.  Either that or a vaccine or daily testing of all players to establish they are virus free.  I suspect that testing all players daily would be financially prohibitive. 🙄🙄
Keep the faith
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2020 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by greypower1 greypower1 wrote:

Going slightly off topic, but I have a bad feeling that we won't see any rugby in Wales this year.  Mark Drakeford's comments on scrums was pretty negative.  We would need to eliminate the virus, like New Zealand, in order to play rugby.  Either that or a vaccine or daily testing of all players to establish they are virus free.  I suspect that testing all players daily would be financially prohibitive. 🙄🙄
we can get rid of the scrum coach then,save a few bob.Wink
Calon_Coch2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calon_Coch2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2020 at 9:10pm
The players that Scarlets have released in recent years may not be the players they have become if they had not moved on to other clubs and pulled up their socks - excuse the pun -  in order to prove a point.  The coaches who worked with theses players day in, day out, at the time knew more about their work ethos and attitude than us - hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Calon_Coch2
Superscarlet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Superscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2020 at 11:27pm
Same goes for Hardy, his defence is poor so hope he'll work on that this season 
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2020 at 8:24am
My my we have a few sensitive souls on this forum. Last time I checked it was supposed to be a chat forum. Nobody makes anyone read or respond to any topic. Instead of moaning about a topic becoming boring/repetitive/uninteresting make your choice of whether to read/respond instead of wittering on about it. Of course if a topic is/becomes offensive that is a different matter & I trust our admin people to act accordingly.
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2020 at 10:57am
Originally posted by Calon_Coch2 Calon_Coch2 wrote:

The players that Scarlets have released in recent years may not be the players they have become if they had not moved on to other clubs and pulled up their socks - excuse the pun -  in order to prove a point.  The coaches who worked with theses players day in, day out, at the time knew more about their work ethos and attitude than us - hindsight is a wonderful thing!
This is spot on
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
  Share Topic