Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Scarlet attendances in the past?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2020 at 9:26am
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

Before health and safety stradey could hold a lot more people than parc y scarlets.....I believe the biggest ever crowd was around 30000 against south africa in 1970....The tanner bank was the biggest populated area , the capacity fell due to health and safety to 22500 in the 1980s up until the new stand was opened and the old tanner bank was replaced. The capacity then fell a lot down to I think 13800
It continued to fall due to h and s to I think a capacity of 10800 by the time the great place closed 

Sounds about right.

Talking of H&S, I was always a bit worried by the brick edging to the terraces along the sides, which I think in later seasons were  cushioned, a bit, by advertising hoardings and the like - must have been when Henson threw Garan Evans into them and got his red card - one of my favourite Stradey moments! The bricks are visible under the hoardings...

(there is a much better clip on Facebook, with commentary...)

I don't know if any player was ever injured being tackled into those bricks, but they weren't that far away from the playing surface...

. And then overseas Llanelli legend Silasi Finau going after Henson seeking retribution !🤨
Aye; Henson ran so far from Finau that he almost had to pay to get back in the ground. Smile
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic