Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Scarlet attendances in the past?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scarlet attendances in the past?
    Posted: 11 January 2020 at 11:37pm
 Being merely 40 years old I don’t know what it was like to support and watch the scarlets back in the hay days of the 60’s 70’s. What was the average attendance back then? Listening to some people it was like international’s on game days! How many would regularly come and watch us?
Sponsored Links

SVD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2020 at 12:18am
I was taken to Stradey by my Dad from the mid-60s and was there tonight for Toulon - hard to compare as Stradey was smaller, but I think the support was better there. However, as far as I am concerned, ‘Scarlet ‘til I die’.
Scarlet Emperor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2020 at 12:51am
Originally posted by SVD SVD wrote:

I was taken to Stradey by my Dad from the mid-60s and was there tonight for Toulon - hard to compare as Stradey was smaller, but I think the support was better there. However, as far as I am concerned, ‘Scarlet ‘til I die’.
My head is full of people telling me about tanner bank being shoulder to shoulder with men in cloth hats. And people marching in crowds from strady arms and surrounding pubs To the ground. Considering the scarlets had half the lions at some point I don’t blame them! Think I missed out! Would loved to have seen Bennett in his prime 
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2020 at 9:06am
Originally posted by Scarlet Emperor Scarlet Emperor wrote:

Originally posted by SVD SVD wrote:

My head is full of people telling me about tanner bank being shoulder to shoulder with men in cloth hats. And people marching in crowds from strady arms and surrounding pubs To the ground. Considering the scarlets had half the lions at some point I don’t blame them! Think I missed out! Would loved to have seen Bennett in his prime 

I'm lucky enough to be the same age as Benny to within a couple of weeks, so did enjoy him at his peak - even saw his first cap v France in 1969 (when he was a late sub for Gerald Davies - Wales's first ever sub - don't think he even touched the ball!). Saw him play a key role in some stand-out wins for Wales - including the often-shown try v Scotland where he rests his chin on the ball after scoring, and the two try performance in his last game for Wales to beat France and win the Grand Slam in 1978.

As for Stradey - never lived near enough Llanelli to go regularly to games, so can't comment on crowds for 'typical' matches - but the ground was always packed for the Boxing Day visits of London Welsh - a very strong team back then.

It shows how the game has changed that Phil only won 29 caps for Wales, despite playing in 10 different seasons! (plus 8 Lions caps, of course)
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2020 at 9:21am
I was lucky enough to have seen benny in his pomp and what a joy that was,i remember some quite sparse crowds in stradey but I also remember plenty of full houses especially those special European nights,we have a fantastic stadium at the parc but my heart will always be in stradey.
lofty evans View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2020 at 2:09pm
Stradey was it seemed more full, as it was smaller and the Bank was always well filled with supporters and went there from 1972 and it was my second home.
What I will say is the ROAR when the place was filled was spine tingling and as addictive as crack cocaine.  There was something about Stradey, it reeked history, Town end, Pwll end, the new South stand, watching training sessions etc.....the scoreboard, the uneven wonky pitch......but boy the players that I saw on that grass was exceptional.  Funny thing is I knew a supporter who watched the great Albert Jenkins play......would have loved to have seen him play.
Stradey was incredible....never green back there since they knocked it down and will never go to the area again that was my spiritual home.

In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2020 at 6:01pm
Before health and safety stradey could hold a lot more people than parc y scarlets.....I believe the biggest ever crowd was around 30000 against south africa in 1970....The tanner bank was the biggest populated area , the capacity fell due to health and safety to 22500 in the 1980s up until the new stand was opened and the old tanner bank was replaced. The capacity then fell a lot down to I think 13800
It continued to fall due to h and s to I think a capacity of 10800 by the time the great place closed 
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2020 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

Before health and safety stradey could hold a lot more people than parc y scarlets.....I believe the biggest ever crowd was around 30000 against south africa in 1970....The tanner bank was the biggest populated area , the capacity fell due to health and safety to 22500 in the 1980s up until the new stand was opened and the old tanner bank was replaced. The capacity then fell a lot down to I think 13800
It continued to fall due to h and s to I think a capacity of 10800 by the time the great place closed 

Sounds about right.

Talking of H&S, I was always a bit worried by the brick edging to the terraces along the sides, which I think in later seasons were  cushioned, a bit, by advertising hoardings and the like - must have been when Henson threw Garan Evans into them and got his red card - one of my favourite Stradey moments! The bricks are visible under the hoardings...

(there is a much better clip on Facebook, with commentary...)

I don't know if any player was ever injured being tackled into those bricks, but they weren't that far away from the playing surface...

Edited by aber-fan - 13 January 2020 at 2:32pm
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
lofty evans View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2020 at 4:15pm
if they were Dafen brickwotks bricks they were indestructible. 
In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2020 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Sounds about right.

Talking of H&S, I was always a bit worried by the brick edging to the terraces along the sides, which I think in later seasons were  cushioned, a bit, by advertising hoardings and the like - must have been when Henson threw Garan Evans into them and got his red card - one of my favourite Stradey moments! The bricks are visible under the hoardings...

I don't know if any player was ever injured being tackled into those bricks, but they weren't that far away from the playing surface...

. And then overseas Llanelli legend Silasi Finau going after Henson seeking retribution !🤨
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2020 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Sounds about right.

. And then overseas Llanelli legend Silasi Finau going after Henson seeking retribution !🤨
if he would have connected they would have picking hensons head up on the first hole in ashburnam,it was right in front of us.
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2020 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

Sounds about right.

if he would have connected they would have picking hensons head up on the first hole in ashburnam,it was right in front of us.
Gavin had “ gorgeous “  blond hair then I recall.  😍
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2020 at 7:49pm
My 1st visit to Stradey Park was around 1963, a match against New Zealand.

I think many of us were and still in love with the old home, and remember many of the big matches when the ground was well populated with crowds around 10,000++++, but many games had less than 5,000.

Most matches had very few behind the posts both ends Town & Pwll. The facilities especially at the end were poor, nothing like PYS.

Even for the Australian game in 1992 there was plenty of space behind the posts Pwll end. 

I feel the crowds are more consistent now than then.

The Tanner Banc was open and pretty wet and pretty empty when it rained, so one could imagine how often that was.

I still loved the place and when I lived in Sandy Rd could see the town end posts when I opened my bedroom curtains every day. It has my heart, but the PYS experience is getting better.  
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
Scarlet Emperor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2020 at 10:53pm
I’m just trying to gauge if we’re better supported now or back then. You’d think that with population growth in and around Llanelli and area the attendance would have climbed. But I’m not sure. We have a good hardcore support that will always be there, but I’m not sure we have that “rugby culture” anymore. Any pub i’ve been into especially in the burry port area are heavily football supporting places. Last time I felt a buzz about the town for the scarlets was when we played La Rochelle 
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2020 at 1:43am
Originally posted by Scarlet Emperor Scarlet Emperor wrote:

I’m just trying to gauge if we’re better supported now or back then. You’d think that with population growth in and around Llanelli and area the attendance would have climbed. But I’m not sure. We have a good hardcore support that will always be there, but I’m not sure we have that “rugby culture” anymore. Any pub i’ve been into especially in the burry port area are heavily football supporting places. Last time I felt a buzz about the town for the scarlets was when we played La Rochelle 

We had bigger crowds in the 1980s for the bigger matches but the crowds were not as consistent. Nowadays theyre more consistent

Take key games with Neath Swansea and pooler in the id 1980s ....The 1984 cup quarter final with pooler was the best club atmosphere I ever experienced. As you can see here the crowd on the tanner bank was absolutely rammed like sardines and the crowd spilled into the in goal areas..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svt_PsejXWw..I was told the capacity then was 22500 and Id guess thats how many attended. Thats 9000 more than we got at parc y scarlets on Boxing day. 

Australia was 13800
as was the all blacks in 97
However we had somehow lost our entire star studded 1992 side by 1997 some to rugby league others to rich clubs and to retirement injury etc

New Zealand vs Llanelli at Stradey Park
Llanelli, Wales
Saturday, 8 November 1997

Fulltime:New Zealand 81,  Llanelli 3
Halftime:New Zealand 31,  Llanelli 3
Attendance:13800
Conditions:Weather showers, windy, ground soft, played under lights
Referee:B. Campsall  (England)
Touch Judges:G. Hughes  (England)
R. Goodliffe  (England)

Edited by roy munster - 14 January 2020 at 1:46am
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2020 at 7:07am

Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

Sounds about right.

Gavin had “ gorgeous “  blond hair then I recall.  😍
it looked more like a seagull had relieved himself in it.LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic