Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My daffodils are popping up already

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My daffodils are popping up already
    Posted: 02 January 2020 at 10:06am
It's only the 2nd January and I've just noticed my daffodil shoots have just popped up through the soil.  Any ideas on what to do to protect them if a hard frost comes?  Or will they be ok?  

I've done some googling and it says that covering them can cause the blooms to fail, but the way things are going they will be in bloom before the end of January?  

Any suggestions for a failed gardener

Edited by Rob o'r Bont - 02 January 2020 at 10:07am
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Sponsored Links

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2020 at 10:28am
Originally posted by Rob o'r Bont Rob o'r Bont wrote:

It's only the 2nd January and I've just noticed my daffodil shoots have just popped up through the soil.  Any ideas on what to do to protect them if a hard frost comes?  Or will they be ok?  

I've done some googling and it says that covering them can cause the blooms to fail, but the way things are going they will be in bloom before the end of January?  

Any suggestions for a failed gardener

Leave well alone and let nature take its course from a succesful gardener. Stick to forecasting Scarlets wins Rob. Happy new year to you. 
Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2020 at 3:37pm
Thanks GPR, I could have expected your answer to be 'Leave'. Wink

Good tip and I will definitely let the daffs remain where they are. Happy New Year to you as well Sir.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2020 at 4:03pm

Good tip and I will definitely let the daffs remain where they are. Happy New Year to you as well Sir.

I'm not a gardener, but my wife covers any geraniums left outside with gauze to keep the frost off when the forecast is for a cold night - but you have to take it off when it's no longer frosty, and definitely if it rains. This goes for azaleas, too, or any young shoots.

She does NOT do this for daffodils as they can usually look after themselves.

You could always test the suggestions scientifically, by covering some and not others!
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2020 at 5:27pm

Nice one Rob!!!! Are we going to win tomorrow?
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2020 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Yes, we are definitely going to win tomorrow. Smile

And thanks for the tip Aber, I like the idea of a controlled experiment. 
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2020 at 8:45am

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Yes, we are definitely going to win tomorrow. Smile

And thanks for the tip Aber, I like the idea of a controlled experiment. 

I'm a scientist by training, but definitely not a gardner - so that's what I'd do, if I had the inclination... but I have a wife to do the digging instead!
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2020 at 5:12pm
Well don't that beat all; I went to the Botanic Gardens today and they have daffodils in full bloom. Puts my daffs to shame. 
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2020 at 12:11pm
My wife's mini-daffs are getting close  - not sure if they qualify as daffs as such, or if they get called something else.
tim d View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2020 at 2:36pm
Narcissi
I'm sick of it
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2020 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by tim d tim d wrote:

Narcissi

Found this on Wikipedia:

Narcissus is a genus of predominantly spring perennial plants of the amaryllis family, Amaryllidaceae. Various common names including daffodil,[Note 1] narcissus and jonquil are used to describe all or some members of the genus. Narcissus has conspicuous flowers with six petal-like tepals surmounted by a cup- or trumpet-shaped corona. The flowers are generally white or yellow (also orange or pink in garden varieties), with either uniform or contrasting coloured tepals and corona.

So - it seems as if daffs are one type of narcissus - or one name for those plants.

Our 'minis' are yellow so look like proper daffs, only much smaller.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2020 at 8:35am

Well don't that beat all; I went to the Botanic Gardens today and they have daffodils in full bloom. Puts my daffs to shame. 

Rob - go out and check the daffs this morning just to make sure that they survived beyond 2300 hours last night. Thumbs Up
tim d View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2020 at 8:56am
They are dwarf narcissi. If you look on j parkers website you will probably find what variety they are
I'm sick of it
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic