Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Welsh Universities are the WRU Missing a Trick?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welsh Universities are the WRU Missing a Trick?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surfing-mtber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Welsh Universities are the WRU Missing a Trick?
    Posted: 13 June 2019 at 3:27pm
Interesting article by former pooler coach Louie Tonkin, now heading to the Exeter Chiefs.  He thinks that Wales are losing potential talent to the Premiership (in yet another way!)

Joshua24:15
Sponsored Links

RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2019 at 4:05pm
Welsh kids standing out at uni level
Will already either be involved with a region or a semi pro set up. Most if not all would have come through the college system tbh. This guy and underhill came through the english set up
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2019 at 4:24pm
I do think we need to really look at making the Under 20's our 'capped' side now as the A team is non existent.
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2019 at 11:31am
biggest threat to youngsters in Wales are Millfield School, Hartpury College and Loughbourough University.

incredibly difficult to tell the standard of uni players as the standards of uni rugby is below semi pro standard.

Years ago, didnt we sign a player on development deal from oxford/cambridge who gave a MOM display at the varsity match (im going early regional rugby days). he barely featured for Llanelli RFC and was later released.
Granted some players at Cardiff Met will be tied to a semi pro club or below and sometimes, they will stand out from the crowd...it could be looked at as another route to a development deal, which I am sure we have as we do have a partnership with Swansea Uni (but I dont think academy lads are allowed to play for the university for obvious reasons).

As for coaches, again, difficult to see how good a coach is by just going on uni results. credit to the guy for getting a shot with Exeter, but I am sure many of us here would see it as a huge risk.

WRU could put something in place where they may be able to match a scholarship with an  academy deal at one of the regions. the only thing there is hartpury no doubt will not accept that.
I am sure Loughborough and Millfield will be able to work something out with WRU. 
there is nothing in Wales anywhere near Loughborough and Millfield standard so IMO working with them is only option.
We have Cardiff MET and Swansea, both have their highlights, but Loughborough is fully complete with top facilities, and Millfield a school with incredible sporting facilities.
How it works for teachers/lecturers Im not sure. I dont think it would be a bad idea to go along the way of CSG where the lecturer/coach is involved with Scarlets academy and Llandovery RFC. are cardiff met and swansea ones tied to anyone? Im guessing not.

reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2019 at 12:18pm
Harpury and to a lesser extent Clifton College tend to hoover up in Wales as close to Wales for the lads and of course  the deal is coupled with scholarships and a link with Gloucester or Bristol full of sales pitch about what is on offer to them!  Welsh regions seem to do very little in comparison. It’s probably money based but I feel it’s short sightedness and the regions and WRU with Colleges could do a lot more to retain Welsh talent.
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2019 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Harpury and to a lesser extent Clifton College tend to hoover up in Wales as close to Wales for the lads and of course  the deal is coupled with scholarships and a link with Gloucester or Bristol full of sales pitch about what is on offer to them!  Welsh regions seem to do very little in comparison. It’s probably money based but I feel it’s short sightedness and the regions and WRU with Colleges could do a lot more to retain Welsh talent.
it would be interesting to know the amount that are taken with the amount that actually kick on to make it pro. Obviously there are examples of those that have made it to the top (vunipolas for instance) but then plenty make it staying in Wales. What is the success rate of the ones that are offered scholarships in such places?
Didn't Scarlets lose a scrum half to Millfield school in past few years? didn't he go there and possibly still with Bristol RFC? No idea if I am mixing him up with someone else with regard to Millfield though.

But private top class tuition, world class sporting facilities, not really sure how regions can compete with such offers unless theres a way to work with them.
Once a monkey View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Pull !!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Once a monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2019 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

it would be interesting to know the amount that are taken with the amount that actually kick on to make it pro. Obviously there are examples of those that have made it to the top (vunipolas for instance) but then plenty make it staying in Wales. What is the success rate of the ones that are offered scholarships in such places?
Didn't Scarlets lose a scrum half to Millfield school in past few years? didn't he go there and possibly still with Bristol RFC? No idea if I am mixing him up with someone else with regard to Millfield though.

But private top class tuition, world class sporting facilities, not really sure how regions can compete with such offers unless theres a way to work with them.
You thinking of Harri Randall? With Bristol, on fringes of England squad now
#George
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2019 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by Once a monkey Once a monkey wrote:

You thinking of Harri Randall? With Bristol, on fringes of England squad now
that's the one yes. cheers.

Edited by PE SA - 14 June 2019 at 2:52pm
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2019 at 5:15pm

the money just isn’t in wales to do it sadly
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic