Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Our vision as a Rugby club?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

Initial feedback from the survey looks like this:

I'll share the more qualitative feedback on the weekend.

Thanks for your volunteer work on this - the survey was easy to fill in, with clear questions - unlike many I've seen (not speaking rugby here) in the past.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Sponsored Links

dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 3:13pm
No worries. (I spend most of my job running surveys at the minute)

Also, I saw recent meeting with JSG & WRU mentioned Attendances will be a focus in future.

“There was a detailed discussion in respect of the supporter experience and ticketing. MK said that the research seemed to suggest that the price of season tickets were too low but that the overall price point on match tickets was about right. One of the key requirements for all regions was to drive attendances up. There was agreement from all that regions could and should do better – but under resourced in commercial departments.”
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 3:15pm
So if anyone reading this hasn't filled out the survey yet - please do!

https://findaplayer.typeform.com/to/RJXSH5

Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

No worries. (I spend most of my job running surveys at the minute)

Also, I saw recent meeting with JSG & WRU mentioned Attendances will be a focus in future.

“There was a detailed discussion in respect of the supporter experience and ticketing. MK said that the research seemed to suggest that the price of season tickets were too low but that the overall price point on match tickets was about right. One of the key requirements for all regions was to drive attendances up. There was agreement from all that regions could and should do better – but under resourced in commercial departments.”
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
LLANDRE View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LLANDRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 3:54pm
Yma o hyd is  a song about Wales and how the Welsh language has survived  despite  the tribulations and difficulties over the years. 

Edited by LLANDRE - 15 May 2019 at 3:55pm
West is Best (Fin gwybod)
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by LLANDRE LLANDRE wrote:

Yma o hyd is  a song about Wales and how the Welsh language has survived  despite  the tribulations and difficulties over the years. 

Yes, quite. I dont want mere survival for this rugby club tho.

I want progression innovation and domination. Ymlaen.
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 9:29pm
Yma O Hyd was only relevant twice to this rugby club once when Robyn Mcbryde chose it when we faced bakrupcy from the Mel Davies saga, and again during the threat of the mergers with Moffet. Other than those two occasions its had little relevance to us.

As a motto, and as a song.

Ymlaen was always our motto, and Sospan Fach our anthem.

Quite why this weak minded image and thought process replaced the stronger one I really cant tell you.
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by Speedy Speedy wrote:

Yma O Hyd was only relevant twice to this rugby club once when Robyn Mcbryde chose it when we faced bakrupcy from the Mel Davies saga, and again during the threat of the mergers with Moffet. Other than those two occasions its had little relevance to us.

Quite why this weak minded image and thought process replaced the stronger one I really cant tell you.
I always thought it was more of a "[beep] You" message than anything meek. 
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

Haha! Yes, I think that 'Yma o hyd' is definitely intended as a two-finger salute to our detractors! But Speedy forgets one significant occasion when the song really mattered - when Dafydd Iwan sang it in Stradey, before we stuffed Leicester Tigers thanks to a superb forward effort, and (I think) 18 points from Stevo's boot.

I do sort of agree with Speedy, though - obviously, Sospan Fach is, and was, the anthem of Llanelli rugby, and should remain so.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 8:00pm

In context to the motto it replaced it is neutral, happy to be "still here". very low expectations.

Rather than striving forward to acheive anything.

Celebrating mediocrity. Having "punched above our weight", when each year we get lighter and lighter.
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Haha! Yes, I think that 'Yma o hyd' is definitely intended as a two-finger salute to our detractors! But Speedy forgets one significant occasion when the song really mattered - when Dafydd Iwan sang it in Stradey, before we stuffed Leicester Tigers thanks to a superb forward effort, and (I think) 18 points from Stevo's boot.

I do sort of agree with Speedy, though - obviously, Sospan Fach is, and was, the anthem of Llanelli rugby, and should remain so.

I dont mind Yma o Hyd being one of our songs. At Welford rd it was sung this season and it really resonated, even Leicester fans around us were in awe of it, despite not knowing its meaning. 

The point is highlighted perfectly in your recollection of that so called triumph tho....

"when Dafydd Iwan sang it in Stradey, before we stuffed Leicester Tigers thanks to a superb forward effort, and (I think) 18 points from Stevo's boot."

Never mind that they went on to win the trophy and we went out tho....can you see my point? Mediocrity held up as some sort of triumph.

All those losing semi finals have become some twisted badge of honour, and our post 2003 tacky branding promotes it.

Our marketing, branding and ethos really does need a rethink. Dare I say it a refresh.
Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 9:39am
There's nothing weak minded about  'Yma o Hyd', in fact it's quite the opposite.  It is a statement of intent that 'Mi fyddwn yma tan Ddydd y Farn' - 'we will be here until judgement day (no not that one).

It's powerful, drawing on history to show resilience and it is relevant to us every day of the week and twice on game day.  

In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
LLANDRE View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LLANDRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 12:37pm
Yn gwmws  Rob .  When we sang Yma o hyd  before the La Rochelle  game it  was one of the best moments of my time as a supporter
West is Best (Fin gwybod)
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by LLANDRE LLANDRE wrote:

Yn gwmws  Rob .  When we sang Yma o hyd  before the La Rochelle  game it  was one of the best moments of my time as a supporter

Agreed, the stadium was well & truly rocking that day!
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 12:46pm
Exactly Rob/Llandre. There is nothing wrong with being a good underdog. Yma o hyd epitomises the fight us ethnic minorities have had throughout history - even if I say that rather tongue in cheek there is nothing which can get a team/supporters more enthused than feeling you are not given the right respect before a contest. I remember a rendition being given on an away trip to Toulon when they were the best team in Europe. We had just scored to get within touching distance and a staunch Toulon fan next to me said we are going to lose this game - he had no idea what the song meant but he was very moved. 
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Exactly Rob/Llandre. There is nothing wrong with being a good underdog. Yma o hyd epitomises the fight us ethnic minorities have had throughout history - even if I say that rather tongue in cheek there is nothing which can get a team/supporters more enthused than feeling you are not given the right respect before a contest. I remember a rendition being given on an away trip to Toulon when they were the best team in Europe. We had just scored to get within touching distance and a staunch Toulon fan next to me said we are going to lose this game - he had no idea what the song meant but he was very moved. 
Lovely story.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by Rob o'r Bont Rob o'r Bont wrote:

There's nothing weak minded about  'Yma o Hyd', in fact it's quite the opposite.  It is a statement of intent that 'Mi fyddwn yma tan Ddydd y Farn' - 'we will be here until judgement day (no not that one).

It's powerful, drawing on history to show resilience and it is relevant to us every day of the week and twice on game day.  

Highlighting a weak defeatest Welsh mentality that we are happy to just still be here and not move on and dominate.

The very attitude that sees us annually as also rans.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic