Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Our vision as a Rugby club?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Rubrum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rubrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Our vision as a Rugby club?
    Posted: 30 May 2019 at 1:15pm
What does the analysis suggest?
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Rubrum
Sponsored Links

sme View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 10:38am
of course there is complete outrage at merging.would you merge Manchester City and United no.we would loose identity.can't
 Say I or anyone I know are outraged at not bein in European cup we did not have a good season by anyone standards and hpe for better next year.
We already have a worldwide identity .I have travelled worldwide and it never ceases to amaze me how many people know Llanelli because of our rugby team.There is certainly an untapped source for selling shirts etc.like many of football teams do maybe we are too insular I don' know am not experienced in marketing .
s.pimpernel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
A.F.K.A.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s.pimpernel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

How do you work that one out? A club in a small town in west Wales competing against giants in massive English and French cities. You seem to be out of touch with the reality of where Welsh rugby is at financially.

And yet, there is complete meltdown and outrage whenever a merger with Ospreys is mentioned, when a merger would be the logical choice to enable us, as supporters, to enjoy more semi finals and finals and actual have the possibility of winning them.

Likewise, our "outrage" at not being in The champions Cup next season, because if you follow your logic through, the second tier of European competition is exactly where we should be.

In Pivac we trust
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

I'm certainly not happy at our recent performances with so many squandered chances, but the last thing I blame is "Yma o hyd" which reflects the acievement of maintaining Y Gymraeg and the Welsh identity after 1600 years of colonization and exploitation. It is such a powerful anthem recognised widely and envied by many.
What would you have in its place? Surely not the moronic drum beating of the Ospreys fans or some Anglo-American pap with no relevance to our beloved region?
If you want a more positive declaration then can I suggest another Dafydd Iwan/Ar Log gem -"Cerddwn Ymlaen" which is almost as good as "Yma o hyd" but maybe less well known -perhaps because its not the Scarlets anthem.

Well clearl;y you took to your keyboard after only reading one line......I said numerous times we should go back to our original strong motto Ymlaen.

If you dont get the very basics right, there is no hope. The things that are in our control we get hoplessly wrong.

We are pissing in the wind. and have been since 2003.

Stick regionalism up Moffets arse.Back where it belongs. Its a farce. 
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Originally posted by Speedy Speedy wrote:

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Exactly Rob/Llandre. There is nothing wrong with being a good underdog. Yma o hyd epitomises the fight us ethnic minorities have had throughout history - even if I say that rather tongue in cheek there is nothing which can get a team/supporters more enthused than feeling you are not given the right respect before a contest. I remember a rendition being given on an away trip to Toulon when they were the best team in Europe. We had just scored to get within touching distance and a staunch Toulon fan next to me said we are going to lose this game - he had no idea what the song meant but he was very moved. 

Yeap great story....did we go on and win it?

We seem happy on here to have the odd game where we beqat a big team against the odds and hold these up as trophies.

Whilst the heavy weights dont hold individual games up as being as important. 

Llanelli rugby should have been much bigger than it is, we actually punch below our weight. Thanks to defeatest attitudes from top to bottom.

I loved the memories of those games, and I held my head high even tho we lost the semi in Dublin. But once again we dont know how to build on any small form and momentum we build. Its our dna. Just happy to be here. Not looking to move forward.

Yma o Hyd

Ymlaen Llanelli. 

The difference in ethos is massive.
How do you work that one out? A club in a small town in west Wales competing against giants in massive English and French cities. You seem to be out of touch with the reality of where Welsh rugby is at financially.

I thought we were a region encompassing all of west wales?Tongue

You may say we encompass all of West Wales.

I am saying we limit ourselves to the smallest lowest populated area in uk which is West Wales. We are a business we should be a national, maybe global brand. Yet we ignore anybody outside our group of rural towns and villages east of Loughor.

Weak.
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Llanelli has a population on par with Caerphilly.

The Scarlets region is amongst the most sparsely populated in the country.

We produce some damn fine players though. Damn fine.

Songs with affinity, the Welsh language, club emblems, our heritage, colour, singing, big way crowds and a chippyness that irritates the pants off our rivals, are our signatures.

I’ll defend all those characteristics, whether justifiable or not !

But that doesnt adress any of my initial point. All those traditional songs are fine to make up our identity. But as our main vision, we choose to celebrate just being here. Not moving forward as we once did.

I dont know why people are bringing finance into this. Because if we WERE on a level playing field our motto would still read that of a pacifist. Lets address the things we can change. Any business has to have a strong mission statement, slogan etc.  Ours is weak. 
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by LLANDRE LLANDRE wrote:

Yma o hyd is not a song written for the Scarlets. Calon Lan is a hymn but we  sing it.   

Where have advocated people stop singing Yma o Hyd?

I questioned the limited villigistic vision of our rugby club, by changing our once forward thinking ethos, to one that takes such pride in merely being there. 

There is a story about the fall of Liverpool fc in the late 80s early 90s, involving (iirc) Chelsea, with Dennis wise being part of the winning team.

Most people were already beaten just at the iconic historic sign in the tunnel "This is Anfield" Dennies Wise took a black marker to it and wrote "so what?" across it.

Now I ask the same question of our weak minded motto, Yma O Hyd......So what?
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 12:29pm

Exactly Rob/Llandre. There is nothing wrong with being a good underdog. Yma o hyd epitomises the fight us ethnic minorities have had throughout history - even if I say that rather tongue in cheek there is nothing which can get a team/supporters more enthused than feeling you are not given the right respect before a contest. I remember a rendition being given on an away trip to Toulon when they were the best team in Europe. We had just scored to get within touching distance and a staunch Toulon fan next to me said we are going to lose this game - he had no idea what the song meant but he was very moved. 

We seem happy on here to have the odd game where we beqat a big team against the odds and hold these up as trophies.

Llanelli rugby should have been much bigger than it is, we actually punch below our weight. Thanks to defeatest attitudes from top to bottom.

I loved the memories of those games, and I held my head high even tho we lost the semi in Dublin. But once again we dont know how to build on any small form and momentum we build. Its our dna. Just happy to be here. Not looking to move forward.

Yma o Hyd

Ymlaen Llanelli. 

I thought we were a region encompassing all of west wales?Tongue
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 11:59am
I'm certainly not happy at our recent performances with so many squandered chances, but the last thing I blame is "Yma o hyd" which reflects the acievement of maintaining Y Gymraeg and the Welsh identity after 1600 years of colonization and exploitation. It is such a powerful anthem recognised widely and envied by many.
What would you have in its place? Surely not the moronic drum beating of the Ospreys fans or some Anglo-American pap with no relevance to our beloved region?
If you want a more positive declaration then can I suggest another Dafydd Iwan/Ar Log gem -"Cerddwn Ymlaen" which is almost as good as "Yma o hyd" but maybe less well known -perhaps because its not the Scarlets anthem.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 11:13am
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Songs with affinity, the Welsh language, club emblems, our heritage, colour, singing, big way crowds and a chippyness that irritates the pants off our rivals, are our signatures.

We certainly do Wil of that there is no doubt. You only have to look around the regional squads to see evidence of that as well as over the border where Dan Thomas is making a huge name for himself at Bristol & Josh Adams has been a revelation. 
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 11:03am

redeyes View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redeyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 10:42am

Yma o Hyd

Ymlaen Llanelli. 

Speedy, your enthusiasm is infectious and should be applauded. But suggesting we punch below our weight is way off the mark. 

We have just  had a poor season, but in the previous two seasons we won the pro 12 and were Champions cup semi finalists. When you compare our budget against those in Ireland and France where the gulf is vast, your comment simply doesn't hold water.
The stadium may change, but the dream will remain the same!

dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 9:10am
Originally posted by Rob o'r Bont Rob o'r Bont wrote:

There's nothing weak minded about  'Yma o Hyd', in fact it's quite the opposite.  It is a statement of intent that 'Mi fyddwn yma tan Ddydd y Farn' - 'we will be here until judgement day (no not that one).

It's powerful, drawing on history to show resilience and it is relevant to us every day of the week and twice on game day.  

Highlighting a weak defeatest Welsh mentality that we are happy to just still be here and not move on and dominate.

The very attitude that sees us annually as also rans.

Speedy mate, I think you're looking at this through the wrong end of the Binoculars. Taking your logic a step further;

Should we really be dreaming of a team of Samson Lees?  Is that not undermining the contribution of the other 14 players on the field?

Are we all so insecure that we really worry if we're human or if we're Scarlet?  I mean we must all be a bunch of snowflakes if we get nervous when we see an open door. Need to get rid of that song pronto.

Yma o Hyd is very similar to Flower of Scotland in it's sentiment, and come to that, it's not a million miles away from our own 'Hen wlad fy nhadau'. Good luck with getting those songs removed from the songsheet. Smile

Just googled 'Yma o Hyd' and found a lovely story about one of the lines in the song being inspired by and old man talking to King Henry II........

"Never will it (Wales) be destroyed by the wrath of man, unless the wrath of God be added, nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the Earth"

YMA O HYD  Smile

I do like living in a Scarlet submarine though. LOL
turkishrebel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 8:59am
excellent post Rob
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!
Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 8:08am

There's nothing weak minded about  'Yma o Hyd', in fact it's quite the opposite.  It is a statement of intent that 'Mi fyddwn yma tan Ddydd y Farn' - 'we will be here until judgement day (no not that one).

It's powerful, drawing on history to show resilience and it is relevant to us every day of the week and twice on game day.  

Highlighting a weak defeatest Welsh mentality that we are happy to just still be here and not move on and dominate.

The very attitude that sees us annually as also rans.

Speedy mate, I think you're looking at this through the wrong end of the Binoculars. Taking your logic a step further;

Should we really be dreaming of a team of Samson Lees?  Is that not undermining the contribution of the other 14 players on the field?

Are we all so insecure that we really worry if we're human or if we're Scarlet?  I mean we must all be a bunch of snowflakes if we get nervous when we see an open door. Need to get rid of that song pronto.

Yma o Hyd is very similar to Flower of Scotland in it's sentiment, and come to that, it's not a million miles away from our own 'Hen wlad fy nhadau'. Good luck with getting those songs removed from the songsheet. Smile

Just googled 'Yma o Hyd' and found a lovely story about one of the lines in the song being inspired by and old man talking to King Henry II........

"Never will it (Wales) be destroyed by the wrath of man, unless the wrath of God be added, nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the Earth"

YMA O HYD  Smile

Edited by Rob o'r Bont - 23 May 2019 at 8:11am
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
LLANDRE View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LLANDRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 7:26pm
Yma o hyd is not a song written for the Scarlets. Calon Lan is a hymn but we  sing it.   
West is Best (Fin gwybod)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic