Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New signings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930 38>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2019 at 8:02am
agree Nige, back to the old days of Wales 1st, regions last.
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!
Sponsored Links

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2019 at 9:17am
So what has happened to the positive impact which Project Reset was meant to have? Regions were going to be rewarded apparently for their ability to deliver success with the Heineken Cup being seen as the main target. The Scarlets business plan we were told was deemed to be ambitious but deliverable with their need being 4/5 top signings. We, as supporters, can all agree with this view & have even outlined the positions which need these top signings. 

Fast forward a few months and the promise of more funding has evaporated into a penny pinching exercise & attempts at capping players wages. We have the very unedifying situation of a WRU stalwart & captain who has given years of wonderful service to his region and the National team still unsure of where he will be playing post World Cup. Many other players in the current 31 in Nice are in the same boat. Is this really the way to give your players the best opportunity to win a 6 nations or perform in the World Cup.? I think not - the WRU should hang their heads in shame. Is it any wonder that Wales have never had a region win the top trophy when they are so poorly led.
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2019 at 11:56am
[QUOTE=GPR - Rochester]So what has happened to the positive impact which Project Reset was meant to have? Regions were going to be rewarded apparently for their ability to deliver success with the Heineken Cup being seen as the main target. The Scarlets business plan we were told was deemed to be ambitious but deliverable with their need being 4/5 top signings. We, as supporters, can all agree with this view & have even outlined the positions which need these top signings. 

Fast forward a few months and the promise of more funding has evaporated into a penny pinching exercise & attempts at capping players wages. We have the very unedifying situation of a WRU stalwart & captain who has given years of wonderful service to his region and the National team still unsure of where he will be playing post World Cup. Many other players in the current 31 in Nice are in the same boat. Is this really the way to give your players the best opportunity to win a 6 nations or perform in the World Cup.? I think not - the WRU should hang their heads in shame. Is it any wonder that Wales have never had a region win the top trophy when they are so poorly led.
[/QUOTE

I agree with what you say in the first paragraph. However, the WRU are trying to bring some common sense to the new arrangements. They are also trying to get the Regions to draw up plans that are sustainable in the longer term. As an example, apparently the Dragons stated aim was to win the Champions Cup in 5 years !!!!! 

That aim is coming on the back of a season where they only won 2 games. Is that a realistic target ????? They have also, apparently, already spent their budget for this season !

We all know that the Blues are in some difficulty as the negotiations with the Cardiff Athletic Club have failed. At the start of this season the Ospreys asked for a loan of 800K to carry out some improvements to the Brewery Field. I read on here somewhere that this was in fact a funding loan to cover a cashflow shortfall. If true, then that is a precarious state of affairs. 

So to summarise, the situation is somewhat precarious. The other 3 regions are in difficulties and there needs to be a lot of soul searching to sort out matters.
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2019 at 12:22pm
I tend to agree with you ap sior.

One point which does wind me up a bit is that no one has seen anything concrete to my knowledge, only whispers, players comments, press comments. they are all negative as well.

We must be positive, and I think we should have patience to wait for the outcome, all 4 regions are in the same place.
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2019 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by Dai38 Dai38 wrote:

I tend to agree with you ap sior.

One point which does wind me up a bit is that no one has seen anything concrete to my knowledge, only whispers, players comments, press comments. they are all negative as well.

We must be positive, and I think we should have patience to wait for the outcome, all 4 regions are in the same place.
maybe all the regions are in the same place but we play in competitions where we are being put at a massive disadvantage because of the dawdling.
Owen111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Owen111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2019 at 12:29pm
Rumors that Jordan Taufua to Leicester Tigers is a done deal. His name was mentioned in this thread in a couple of times. 

One to scratch off the list!! That's if we even have one LOLCry
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2019 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by Owen111 Owen111 wrote:

Rumors that Jordan Taufua to Leicester Tigers is a done deal. His name was mentioned in this thread in a couple of times. 

One to scratch off the list!! That's if we even have one LOLCry

Good player but very injury prone stay well clear especially with this seasons predicament .
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2019 at 12:57pm
We have a bit of a track record of picking up players off the Salvage Yard and rebuilding them but not sure this strategy has really proved a positive looking at the strategy over the years tbh?🤔
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2019 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

We have a bit of a track record of picking up players off the Salvage Yard and rebuilding them but not sure this strategy has really proved a positive looking at the strategy over the years tbh?🤔

With all respect I'd disagree with you there David up to a point, Barclay Lamont and Beirne were very good signings, however there have been some howlers.

I believe that the days of the 'howlers' are behind us now.
tannerbankboy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tannerbankboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2019 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by 157cb 157cb wrote:

Could it be possible Scarlets have made new signings ? and its not possible to announce them .

One positive is when top players have left in the past this has been announced before Xmas.  Nothing so far, so hopefully good news on some SH signings to come.  We are going to be decimated next season with RWC and 6N so need something
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2019 at 9:40pm
With Daly signing for Saracens next season does that mean Sanjay is available. Here’s hoping.
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
Owen111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Owen111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2019 at 11:36pm
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

With Daly signing for Saracens next season does that mean Sanjay is available. Here’s hoping.

I believe he will have 1 year left on his contract?
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2019 at 8:21am
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

I believe Daly has moved to Saracens to try & play 13.
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2019 at 10:16am
Liam decided to trigger the 3yr clause in his contract. I personally can’t see him leaving Sarries until their debt catches up with them.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2019 at 10:21am
Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

Liam decided to trigger the 3yr clause in his contract. I personally can’t see him leaving Sarries until their debt catches up with them.

We probably cannot afford him now. 
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2019 at 10:29am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

We probably cannot afford him now. 
that’s true. But then again, it was reported we matched Sarries offer when he left.
But anyways, his next deal no doubt be an increase. But I genuinely can’t see him leaving London due to the reason he left.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930 38>
  Share Topic