Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wales v Australia Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2018 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

That’s a unexpected and welcome win.

Far from a classic, but at the end of the day, who cares.

Absolutely
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Sponsored Links

surfing-mtber View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surfing-mtber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2018 at 8:42pm
Interesting reaction by Sean Edwards to the win, he was ecstatic. His defensive coaching won that match.

Josh Adams was my MOM, he went toe to toe with Falau who didn't manage one clean break. Sign him up, would love to see him outside of Foxy for us.

Another observation, l notice that George North dives into contact and then finds it difficult to present the ball. By contrast Leigh, Hadleigh and Foxy almost always turn in the tackle and present the ball for the scrum half.

Cory Hill made an impact, we missed Samson and Jake.

Edited by surfing-mtber - 10 November 2018 at 8:43pm
Joshua24:15
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2018 at 10:30pm
How is Halfpenny ? He was helped off the field at the end and I didn't notice him coming back out after the match was over a few minutes later.
joni_bach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joni_bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2018 at 11:10pm
Okay, so tactics for the South Africa game should include as many shoulder charges to the head as possible, disguised as attempted charge downs. 
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2018 at 1:24am
Nice pressure kick by Biggar to be fair to win it.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2018 at 9:17am
Pretty boring game to be honest with very little quality rugby but great to get the win. I thought Josh Adams was fantastic both in attack & defence. He looks to me to have booked his place in our starting 15. 

Picking up on your earlier point Ffidel regarding selection I see your point. I think our gameplan was to attack the Aussie lineout but that in reality backfired a little as ours wasn't anywhere near as accurate as it usually is - missing Hill's management maybe. I think my overall feeling on the great 10 debate hasn't really changed. Frankly two tries in two games would have been achieved with Biggar playing 10 & he would have kicked tactically far better than Anscombe.

Rhys remains the most complete 10 we have if we want to develop a ball in play running game. I still worry that Gatland & Co., will revert to type in the build up & through the World Cup - i.e. hope that defence will win it with excellent goal kicking. Anscombe yesterday looked all at sea unable to spark his outside backs & unclear of his role. Aimless kicking on another day would have cost us the game but fair play to Parkes, Foxy and the back 3 for shutting down their dangerous counter attackers. 

Loads of changes for next week & I hope Rhys is fit enough to be given a run at starting 10. My selection would be something like :-

Liam, Josh, Foxy, Watkins, Steff, Rhys, Tomos Williams
Rob, Dee, Samson, Jake, Hill, Wainwright, Jenkins, Moriarty. 

Bench : Elias, Wyn, Brown, Beard, Tipuric, Aled, Biggar, Amos.
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2018 at 9:32am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Pretty boring game to be honest with very little quality rugby but great to get the win. I thought Josh Adams was fantastic both in attack & defence. He looks to me to have booked his place in our starting 15. 

Picking up on your earlier point Ffidel regarding selection I see your point. I think our gameplan was to attack the Aussie lineout but that in reality backfired a little as ours wasn't anywhere near as accurate as it usually is - missing Hill's management maybe. I think my overall feeling on the great 10 debate hasn't really changed. Frankly two tries in two games would have been achieved with Biggar playing 10 & he would have kicked tactically far better than Anscombe.

Rhys remains the most complete 10 we have if we want to develop a ball in play running game. I still worry that Gatland & Co., will revert to type in the build up & through the World Cup - i.e. hope that defence will win it with excellent goal kicking. Anscombe yesterday looked all at sea unable to spark his outside backs & unclear of his role. Aimless kicking on another day would have cost us the game but fair play to Parkes, Foxy and the back 3 for shutting down their dangerous counter attackers. 

Loads of changes for next week & I hope Rhys is fit enough to be given a run at starting 10. My selection would be something like :-

the last thing rhys needs is a game against a team that thinks a low tackle is just above the forehead.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2018 at 9:33am

Fair comments. I especially agree about Anscombe - his best games this season have been as a 15, and he simply doesn't look convincing at 10 - if we are going to play a kicking game, let's stick to Biggar, who is at least good at it - I was particularly annoyed when Anscombe put up a high one to chase himself, and looked to make no effort at all to challenge for the ball - unlike Biggar or 1/2p - it looked as if he just bottled it. Myself, I'd prefer to see Patchell than either of them, especially if we want to develop an attacking game. 

Thought these played well: 1/2p (apart from his goal kicking!) - so solid in defence, and made a few effective darts; Adams - very solid and brave; the scrum - got on top, until the changes; AWJ led from the front, and Ken was tireless, but not as accurate as usual at the lineout. No-one had a real stinker, but Anscombe was perhaps the least satisfactory. 

A word about the charge to 1/2p's head - a very similar thing happened in France v SA... Nigel  O and the TMO had a look, and decided it was worth a penalty - in that case, the player wasn't hurt and stayed on - that looked about right, but the 1/2p one was worse because of the sheer recklessness of what was done, with shoulder to head contact. That was 100% a penalty, and probably a YC too, IMO. What was the ref thinking? Kid A can add the clips to his dossier of evidence on inconsistency in reffing, if he likes!

“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2018 at 9:35am
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

the last thing rhys needs is a game against a team that thinks a low tackle is just above the forehead.

I take your point Ngel but Rhys wants to establish himself as Wales' 10. From a Scarlet point of view I'd be glad to see Wyn, Ryan, Samson, Jake & Rhys miss next week so they would probably not be in the equation for South Africa but that is taking it a little too far even for a Scarlet fan!!!!!
BlackwoodScarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackwoodScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2018 at 1:25pm
Wol have Gareth Davies as a loset
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2018 at 1:39pm
Australia really weren't that good: I still don't buy people before the game saying they were better on paper as they had not been playing well and we were stronger in several areas out there. Those views I think were made on habit and Australian teams of the past plus our issues in losing games we should win against them. I think a big mental effort considering to make sure it didn't happen again and get the win. It doesn't matter how it was achieved and I think it represents a big step forward.

Decent write up from the independent on it:

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-union/international/wales-australia-international-warren-gatland-world-cup-gareth-anscombe-a8628566.html
Mogwen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2018 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by BlackwoodScarlet BlackwoodScarlet wrote:

It was a laughable piece of journalism. Just as poor as the game.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2018 at 2:12pm

pardon my ignorance but what's a 'loset' ?
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2018 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

GD was in their "loser" category, rationalised due to the impact of Tomos Williams. Which is odd, because I would have thought one would instead place Williams in the "winner" group as a better way of highlighting his performance but there you go. I don't read WOL and their standards of journalism are very low.
BlackwoodScarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackwoodScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2018 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

Loser sorry
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2018 at 2:29pm
Thank you both.

Yes odd to describe GD as a loser, as you said it would have been better to say that Williams benefited if they felt that GD didn't have a good game. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic