Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Brexit bonus...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 125126127128129 160>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2020 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Originally posted by dr_martinov dr_martinov wrote:

I'm still a bit shocked over all this. So rich Russians are donating millions into the Conservative party, own a few of our papers, and then an investigation into Russian interference in our democracy finds the Government and MI5 and MI6 were simply unwilling to even look into it and are essentially just accepting Russian interference? 

Come on people, they can't just cover this up with some crap story smearing "the other guys". Of course big countries interfere and influence each others democracies - I'm not naive - but it's the fact nobody in the UK is even trying to prevent it, according to this report. All the Government came out with was a pathetic "ooo stop trying to take away our Bwexit" crap like a bunch of children. 

It's negligence at best, corruption at worse and I don't understand why the people of the UK accept it.

Agree 100%.

The idea that rich Russians who have very likely got their roubles by very dubious means than then they can:

1. buy British citizenship, as wealthy Russians and others have done over recent years, and 
2. on that basis, fund British political parties and movements

just stinks to high heaven.

I'm not sure if this Private Eye report covers that issue, but it sure does show how Russian money and the City of London have a 'cosy' relationship:

Alarmingly the City of London seems to have a very cosy relationship with money full stop. Some pretty dodgy middle Eastern owners along with our Russian friends. 
Sponsored Links

aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2020 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

I was a tad curious about how boris could promise 3 million hong kong citizens they could move here if things don't go their way in hong kong,where would they go?

When all the Polish plumbers and east European doctors and nurses up sticks after a no-deal Brexit, we'll be in deep sh*t unless their expertise can be replaced from somewhere. Lower down the pay scale, the care system will be seriously undermanned if all the EU citizens up sticks.

Abracadabra! We'll bring in Hong Kong experts and workers instead.

(Now, some of us have a nasty suspicion - always denied by the Brexit supporters - that there was a hint of racism in the way some of them voted. I'll expect these people to welcome the Hong Kong Chinese with open arms, to prove that I was wholly mistaken. BTW - Hong Kong Chinese - very able and hard working people - I taught quite a few in Liverpool in the 1980s. Croeso!)
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2020 at 2:27pm

Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

I was a tad curious about how boris could promise 3 million hong kong citizens they could move here if things don't go their way in hong kong,where would they go?

When all the Polish plumbers and east European doctors and nurses up sticks after a no-deal Brexit, we'll be in deep sh*t unless their expertise can be replaced from somewhere. Lower down the pay scale, the care system will be seriously undermanned if all the EU citizens up sticks.

Abracadabra! We'll bring in Hong Kong experts and workers instead.

(Now, some of us have a nasty suspicion - always denied by the Brexit supporters - that there was a hint of racism in the way some of them voted. I'll expect these people to welcome the Hong Kong Chinese with open arms, to prove that I was wholly mistaken. BTW - Hong Kong Chinese - very able and hard working people - I taught quite a few in Liverpool in the 1980s. Croeso!)

Well Aber as a supporter of Brexit I feel perhaps I should respond. I certainly didn't vote for any racist reasons and frankly I find that suggestion pretty obnoxious!!!! In the post Brexit world I see no valid reason why anyone who is not a British national should feel they have to leave provided they have a job supported by a work permit so talk of a mass exodus is rather akin to painting a slogan on a campaign bus promising the earth.

As for the Honk Kong nationals being offered British citizenship I see absolutely no problem whatsover bearing in mind the role Britain played in Hong Kong for many years. 
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2020 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

I'm still a bit shocked over all this. So rich Russians are donating millions into the Conservative party, own a few of our papers, and then an investigation into Russian interference in our democracy finds the Government and MI5 and MI6 were simply unwilling to even look into it and are essentially just accepting Russian interference? 

Come on people, they can't just cover this up with some crap story smearing "the other guys". Of course big countries interfere and influence each others democracies - I'm not naive - but it's the fact nobody in the UK is even trying to prevent it, according to this report. All the Government came out with was a pathetic "ooo stop trying to take away our Bwexit" crap like a bunch of children. 

It's negligence at best, corruption at worse and I don't understand why the people of the UK accept it.

Agree 100%.

The idea that rich Russians who have very likely got their roubles by very dubious means than then they can:

1. buy British citizenship, as wealthy Russians and others have done over recent years, and 
2. on that basis, fund British political parties and movements

just stinks to high heaven.

I'm not sure if this Private Eye report covers that issue, but it sure does show how Russian money and the City of London have a 'cosy' relationship:

Alarmingly the City of London seems to have a very cosy relationship with money full stop. Some pretty dodgy middle Eastern owners along with our Russian friends. 
For the avoidance of any doubt whatsoever, this particular outpost of the East has no connection with all things Vlad. I’ve never ski-ed although our nearest speedway team name sounds like it might have Russian connections. Perhaps the town should’ve been twinned with Covern-try.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2020 at 6:04pm
A load of Johnson's cronies given life peerages in the House of Lords. Including russian billionaire owner of the standard and independent, Lebedev (also a massive conservative party donor), his own brother Jo Johnson, and a large number of Brexit supporting chums. Including Claire Fox and Ian Botham, of all people.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the true "Brexit bonus". 

Also, there are now over 800 unelected members of the House of Lords. 

Edited by dr_martinov - 31 July 2020 at 6:15pm
BlackwoodScarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackwoodScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2020 at 9:29am

A load of Johnson's cronies given life peerages in the House of Lords. Including russian billionaire owner of the standard and independent, Lebedev (also a massive conservative party donor), his own brother Jo Johnson, and a large number of Brexit supporting chums. Including Claire Fox and Ian Botham, of all people.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the true "Brexit bonus". 

Also, there are now over 800 unelected members of the House of Lords. 

Great news
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2020 at 10:22am
Think we'll have to agree to disagree on that one blackwood. LOL
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2020 at 11:48am
Out of interest though, if you are in favour of the Brexit referendum as "the will of the people", how do you feel about an unelected media tycoon in the House of lords because he donated very large sums of money to the party in charge?
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2020 at 12:07pm

Out of interest though, if you are in favour of the Brexit referendum as "the will of the people", how do you feel about an unelected media tycoon in the House of lords because he donated very large sums of money to the party in charge?

Dr M - as a supporter of Brexit I would comment that any unelected member in Government is scandulous. We have more than enough issues with the integrity of the buggers who were elected!!!!!
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2020 at 12:14pm

Dr M - as a supporter of Brexit I would comment that any unelected member in Government is scandulous. We have more than enough issues with the integrity of the buggers who were elected!!!!!

We can definitely agree on that. Having an unelected second chamber is medieval. The king rewarding his loyal soldiers with castles isn't too far off what happens.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackwoodScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2020 at 1:13pm
It's not like any other party tries to stuff the house of lords with their mates
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackwoodScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2020 at 1:32pm

We can definitely agree on that. Having an unelected second chamber is medieval. The king rewarding his loyal soldiers with castles isn't too far off what happens.

Nice job if you can get £333 a day tax free
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2020 at 1:36pm

I agree in principle; however, since many of the Lords are not cannon fodder for one party or another, it seems that the quality of debate (and thinking) can often be much higher in the Lords than in the Commons - where sound-bites are preferred to clear statements (Boris is a key example). 

Ideally, it would be good if the Lords could be rid of all the party-political place men and women, and retain the 'great and the good' with more than a gnat's level of brain-power. How you do it is the tricky bit.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2020 at 6:01pm
Limiting or outlawing private donations to political campaigns would be a major step forward.
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2020 at 9:58am
So, what to say now then.........?

Looks like getting Brexit done involved our Government signing an agreement they aparently didn't understand and are now trying to get out of it.  
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2020 at 8:01am
Originally posted by Rob o'r Bont Rob o'r Bont wrote:

So, what to say now then.........?

Looks like getting Brexit done involved our Government signing an agreement they aparently didn't understand and are now trying to get out of it.  

How unlike this government to U-turn.

The GFA has created a mess; funny how Major and Blair didn't mention this aspect of it as they didn't think ahead either. Also funny how no one in Brexit or leave voters realised this until after they won. Almost as if the vote was just to win rather than actually for something constructive but we've done this to death.

Brexit, GFA, NI being same as rest of UK, International law, you can't have all four. A choice has to be made and a group of people will be unhappy with your decision - in addition to us moaning remainers who still are not convinced Brexit offers any benefit to the UK whatsoever.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 125126127128129 160>
  Share Topic