Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Brexit bonus...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 123124125126127 160>
Author
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2020 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by dr_martinov dr_martinov wrote:

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Dr M - your explanation of genetics and IQ was superb. I am certainly not capable of such an erudite comparison - all I can say on the matter is that the guy is and was a prat - full stop. As for Ladram writing off a whole generation I think there is an element of misunderstanding. It is not a whole generation but a minority of many generations who make up this number. Quite how we go about reducing it I do not know. 

Thanks, as this is the only social media I'm on I felt the urge to post it somewhere! And yes, if a harder approach is wanted by some I respect their views. I'm in favour of a 4 day working week as I'd like to work less and head down Spoons in honesty - but I know that isn't going to happen.
don't go before 12 it's packed WinkLOL
Sponsored Links

dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2020 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

Dr M - your explanation of genetics and IQ was superb. I am certainly not capable of such an erudite comparison - all I can say on the matter is that the guy is and was a prat - full stop. As for Ladram writing off a whole generation I think there is an element of misunderstanding. It is not a whole generation but a minority of many generations who make up this number. Quite how we go about reducing it I do not know. 

Thanks, as this is the only social media I'm on I felt the urge to post it somewhere! And yes, if a harder approach is wanted by some I respect their views. I'm in favour of a 4 day working week as I'd like to work less and head down Spoons in honesty - but I know that isn't going to happen.

Yeah all your bloody mates are in there. Wink
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2020 at 2:49pm

try being self employed roofing in this weather it's like the dole with less money.Angry
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2020 at 2:55pm

try being self employed roofing in this weather it's like the dole with less money.Angry

On the plus side you may have a lot of business when the storms have finally passed.
Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2020 at 2:59pm

Originally posted by Rob o'r Bont Rob o'r Bont wrote:

The take home message tonight is that despite the soundbites from politicians, the UK still plans to take any EU citizen (skilled or unskilled regardless of points or lack of) on a temporary basis after January 2021.  And temporary seems to be defined as 2 years. ie. all EU citizens will be able to travel to the UK provided they don't stay beyond 2 years.  

If this turns out to be true then so much for control of our borders eh, the reality of this seems to be that EU citizens will still have freedom of movement (one of the Brexiteers red lines) after Brexit.

Good moring Rob - I wondered how long it would be before hostilities broke out again - all this bloody talk of daffs etcWink. Personally I don't care how many people we allow to come and work here provided it is beneficial for us as a country. Brexit for real leavers was never about the numbers - it was about the words you used " control of our borders". If our democratically elected government choose to allow free movement then that is fine by me - why you ask - because it is our choice and not some non elected bureacrat in Brussels/Strasbourg. 

While we are on this subject i think the EU's opening stance about the upcoming negotiations is very enlightening. We are not going to get a Canada style offer because we are seen as a huge competitor on their doorstep. They want an even playing field which is European for saying they want control. They don't want, for instance, the UK government to be able to subsidise any Industry even though it may mean us saving valuable jobs & keeping some of our once World leading manufacturing. For me I will watch Boris and his government closely and make my own mind up down the line. Any sell out of our fishermen or pandering to level playing fields will see Boris out on his ear next time. If he hasn't learnt the lessons of the Labour party by now he never will. 
Dafs are coming along fine, I can relax. Smile

Have we moved into a parellel universe where we both agree.  The bit in bold is what I think and in fact, this is what we had and what we will have post Brexit. It will be disguised as 'we only let those who we need in' but in fact it will be everyone more or less as they will come in on the potatoe/strawberry  picking card.

Edited by Rob o'r Bont - 20 February 2020 at 3:02pm
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2020 at 3:10pm

The take home message tonight is that despite the soundbites from politicians, the UK still plans to take any EU citizen (skilled or unskilled regardless of points or lack of) on a temporary basis after January 2021.  And temporary seems to be defined as 2 years. ie. all EU citizens will be able to travel to the UK provided they don't stay beyond 2 years.  

If this turns out to be true then so much for control of our borders eh, the reality of this seems to be that EU citizens will still have freedom of movement (one of the Brexiteers red lines) after Brexit.

Good moring Rob - I wondered how long it would be before hostilities broke out again - all this bloody talk of daffs etcWink. Personally I don't care how many people we allow to come and work here provided it is beneficial for us as a country. Brexit for real leavers was never about the numbers - it was about the words you used " control of our borders". If our democratically elected government choose to allow free movement then that is fine by me - why you ask - because it is our choice and not some non elected bureacrat in Brussels/Strasbourg. 

While we are on this subject i think the EU's opening stance about the upcoming negotiations is very enlightening. We are not going to get a Canada style offer because we are seen as a huge competitor on their doorstep. They want an even playing field which is European for saying they want control. They don't want, for instance, the UK government to be able to subsidise any Industry even though it may mean us saving valuable jobs & keeping some of our once World leading manufacturing. For me I will watch Boris and his government closely and make my own mind up down the line. Any sell out of our fishermen or pandering to level playing fields will see Boris out on his ear next time. If he hasn't learnt the lessons of the Labour party by now he never will. 
Dafs are coming along fine, I can relax. Smile

Have we moved into a parellel universe where we both agree.  The bit in bold is what I think and in fact, this is what we had and what we will have post Brexit. It will be disguised as 'we only let those who we need in' but in fact it will be everyone more or less as they will come in on the potatoe/strawberry  picking card.

Glad to hear the daffs are doing well - I did say remain didn't I Big smile. You must agree though that there is a very big difference between choosing to have a totally open border & being told you have to. For one we can close it whenever we want which may be a good option to have if the French fishermen kick up rough when they are banned from our waters
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2020 at 8:11pm
we seem to think we have a system in wales that protects the sickest and the weakest..Yet in the past few weeks there been several stories where autism and disabled children have been ignored...one girl has gone 2 years without schooling as theres no disabled access toilets in her area? Im sick of hearing we in wales are not taking care of the disabled and vulnerable, yet another indefensible story this week of an autistic boy unable to get treatment for 5 months https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-51589577

ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2020 at 12:42pm
Some news which I feel needs commenting on. I see that Nissan have closed their factory in Barcelona ( EU country) & kept open their plant in North East England ( non EU country). A result as I see it and an answer to those posters, who in the not too distant past, suggested that leaving the EU would see major International companies leaving our shores due to us not being within the EU. Clearly some of our Japanese friends see it differently. Wink
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2020 at 1:39pm
I suspect the UK gov. will have handed Nissan a very large 'bung' to secure that outcome as they had promised them Brexit would not have a negative effect on them.
Keep the faith
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2020 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by greypower1 greypower1 wrote:

I suspect the UK gov. will have handed Nissan a very large 'bung' to secure that outcome as they had promised them Brexit would not have a negative effect on them.

many palms have been crossed with much in the way of silver
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2020 at 12:21am

Some news which I feel needs commenting on. I see that Nissan have closed their factory in Barcelona ( EU country) & kept open their plant in North East England ( non EU country). A result as I see it and an answer to those posters, who in the not too distant past, suggested that leaving the EU would see major International companies leaving our shores due to us not being within the EU. Clearly some of our Japanese friends see it differently. Wink

Hmmm!

BBC News - Nissan: UK factory still under threat from no-deal Brexit
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52900528
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2020 at 7:13am
Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

Hmmm!

Correct Ap Sior. However there is a huge difference between a warning like this from a CEO and actually announcing the closure of a plant with the loss of 3000 jobs. My point, which I may have clumsily made, is that according to some commentators a decision on which plant to close would have been a no brainer as we were leaving the EU.

I am afraid, due to the current crisis, all bets are off on many industries regardless of where they operate. Very rocky roads ahead throughout global markets thats for sure. 
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2020 at 10:13am

Hmmm!

Correct Ap Sior. However there is a huge difference between a warning like this from a CEO and actually announcing the closure of a plant with the loss of 3000 jobs. My point, which I may have clumsily made, is that according to some commentators a decision on which plant to close would have been a no brainer as we were leaving the EU.

I am afraid, due to the current crisis, all bets are off on many industries regardless of where they operate. Very rocky roads ahead throughout global markets thats for sure. 
GPR, you migt have forgotten the back story to this.  Last year the UK Government offered £150m to the car manufactures to ensure they stayed in the UK post Brexit. Nissan were given £80m to stay, so no surprise then that the UK plant wasn't part of this closure round, their loyalty has already been bought as part of the Brexit non-bonus.

However the real story here is that having been given the £80m, Nissan are now posturing for larger handouts should a no-deal Brexit be the final outcome. There's no 'good news' Brexit bonus story here unfortunately.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2020 at 10:32am

Hmmm!

GPR, you migt have forgotten the back story to this.  Last year the UK Government offered £150m to the car manufactures to ensure they stayed in the UK post Brexit. Nissan were given £80m to stay, so no surprise then that the UK plant wasn't part of this closure round, their loyalty has already been bought as part of the Brexit non-bonus.

However the real story here is that having been given the £80m, Nissan are now posturing for larger handouts should a no-deal Brexit be the final outcome. There's no 'good news' Brexit bonus story here unfortunately.

I have no doubt there is truth in your figures Rob but I disagree that there is no good Brexit news. Lets not forget that inside the EU we would not have been allowed to offer sweeteners for a start. Ask the people who have lost their jobs in Barcelona if they would swap with their counterparts in the North East and then decide if its a good news story. 
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2020 at 10:43am

Hmmm!

I have no doubt there is truth in your figures Rob but I disagree that there is no good Brexit news. Lets not forget that inside the EU we would not have been allowed to offer sweeteners for a start. Ask the people who have lost their jobs in Barcelona if they would swap with their counterparts in the North East and then decide if its a good news story. 
Indeed - things must be getting back to normal if we're back in the brexit thread mate. Smile
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2020 at 12:57pm

Hmmm!

Indeed - things must be getting back to normal if we're back in the brexit thread mate. Smile

Yes Rob you're right. Hope you and your family are keeping safe & well. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 123124125126127 160>
  Share Topic