Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Brexit bonus...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 160>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2018 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by Mrfwon Mrfwon wrote:

From what the BBC and Sky are currently reporting, it's looking probable that Sir Graham Brady has that magical number of 48 letters to trigger the vote of no confidence, I'd say May's days are now numbered.

This is all such a mess!

From what I understand it is a tricky one to call. 

If they go for a vote of no confidence and win, then there will be an election for a new Tory leader.

However, if they go for a vote of no confidence and don't win, then they can't challenge May for another year. 

The maths suggest that a vote of no confidence would not be carried, so May therefore could not be challenged for 12 months.

Sponsored Links

Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2018 at 4:17pm
Can’t we sort this out the Sri Lankan way?
Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2018 at 5:56pm
We would need some of the 'Old School' Politicians back to make it worthwhile, or entertaining at least. This lot are too weedy for a good old fashioned fist fight. Smile

Edited by Rob o'r Bont - 16 November 2018 at 5:56pm
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2018 at 6:37pm
sadly there were a tonnoe of lies and exaggeration on both sides

Leave Lies? Remainers Need To Look In The Mirror

Recently, European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker, blamed the Brexit vote on 40 years of lies and the lies of 'Leave' campaigners. Juncker is correct in one sense, there were many lies during the EU Referendum campaign, however these lies were from the 'Remain' side. The so-called lies from Leavers are a figment of the federalist's imagination.

The UK gives the EU a gross contribution of £350 million a week. This is not a lie, and it is an amount which could be spent on the NHS if the UK Government so wished. These are usually touted as lies, but this stems from 'Remain' campaigners being unable to tell the difference between the words 'gross' and 'net' as well as the difference between the words 'could' and 'will'.

In reality the lies came from the 'Remain' campaign.

European Council President Donald Tusk, said western political civilisation would be destroyed if the UK voted 'Leave'. As I am sitting here writing this article, and as you are currently reading this, it is safe to say western political civilisation has not ended. Therefore, we must conclude this was a 'Remain' lie.

David Cameron implied in a speech about the "serried rows of white headstones" that World War 3 would be upon us if Brexit occurred. The last time I checked the UK had not invaded Poland or any other country, and therefore we must conclude this was a lie.

< width="100%" height="100%" scrolling="no" border="0" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" allowfullscreen="" style="list-style: none; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border-width: 0px; border-style: initial; -sizing: inherit; display: block; width: 630px; max-width: 100%; min-width: 100%; height: 354px; max-height: 100%; min-height: 100%;">

George Osborne predicted tax rises and spending cuts would be implemented. To date, no changes to the planned tax rates or public spending have been implemented. So, another lie, and thankfully after his sacking Osborne is no longer in a position create his 'punishment budget'.

Despite Anna Soubry's claim to the contrary on a recent Question Time appearance, Remainers did suggest there would be an immediate Brexit recession. No recession to date, in fact the OECD now believes the UK economy will grow 1.8% this year, up 0.1% on its pre-referendum estimate. Even Mark Carney, the Governor of the Bank of England, now admits he is "quietly optimistic" about Brexit. Lie number four.

3 million people in the UK will lose their jobs was the fictitious figure banded about. However, in July the claimant count fell by 8,600 to 763,600, despite an expected rise of 9,500. Another lie.

"A dangerous fantasy" is how Nick Clegg described Nigel Farage's claim of EU plans to create an army. Barely three months on from the Referendum, Juncker has proposed an EU Army. I'm looking forward to Nick Clegg's next apology video like the one he made after his last whopper.

We were told companies would leave the UK in their droves, especially in the car industry. There is no sign of this, and UK car manufacturing achieving its 12th successive month of growth in July, with production passing one million units in seven months for the first time in 12 years. Lie number 7.

David Cameron said he wouldn't resign as Prime Minister if he lost the Referendum vote. Enough said.

The former Prime Minister also tried to claim the UK could manage its immigration policy while inside the EU. Why are 'Remain' campaigners insisting we start to control immigration in any Brexit deal then? Because we cannot control EU immigration now, proving Cameron was lying.

Universities wanted the UK to remain in the EU because leaving would result in Horizon 2020 funding disappearing. Our new Chancellor, Philip Hammond, has agreed to keep this funding in place. Lie number 10.

This is 10 of many lies spouted by the 'Remain' campaign during the EU referendum. It is about time us Brexiteers challenged this ridiculous narrative of leave lies and remain truths. We voted 'Leave' for control over the laws of this country, and the patronising suggestion we are gullible idiots is quite frankly ridiculous. Remain campaigners should look in the mirror if they want to find a liar. The sooner we Get Britain Out of the EU, the better"

ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2018 at 6:48pm
Yes, Brexiteers need to challenge the Remainers Lies and lead us to the land of Milk and Honey that awaits us when we leave.  

Going really well so far isn't it.  Smile

PS Roy, your 10 lies are open for debate you know.  For instance, the Universities' concerns were not all about H2020 funding, that's just a small part.  Of greater importance for instance is the reduced collaboration on research that will occur between the UK and EU universities. This is very real.

Edited by Rob o'r Bont - 16 November 2018 at 7:06pm
M.M. View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M.M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2018 at 7:05pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Can’t we sort this out the Sri Lankan way?

Stripping Tamils?
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2018 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by Rob o'r Bont Rob o'r Bont wrote:

Yes, Brexiteers need to challenge the Remainers Lies and lead us to the land of Milk and Honey that awaits us when we leave.  

PS Roy, your 10 lies are open for debate you know.  For instance, the Universities' concerns were not all about H2020 funding, that's just a small part.  Of greater importance for instance is the reduced collaboration on research that will occur between the UK and EU universities. This is very real.

Theyre not my 10. I dont believe the lies on either side or the lies about the lies.
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2018 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

Theyre not my 10. I dont believe the lies on either side or the lies about the lies.
Ah ok, I get you.

The thing about the H2020 funding is that it came from the EU and all Universities in EU countries including Welsh Universities could bid for the same pot of funding by forming partnerships with other Universities around the EU. It was pretty much a level playing field. After Brexit, the UK part of that funding will come from Westminster and whilst the funding may be kept in place, its distribution will be different and you can be sure the Welsh Universities will struggle to get their fair share. 

Also Welsh Universities received vast sums of research funding from the Welsh European Funding Office which is totally separate from H2020.  There is no suggestion that this funding will be continued.

Edited by Rob o'r Bont - 16 November 2018 at 10:37pm
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2018 at 11:52am
Various polls and the bookies are showing theres an appetite for a second referendum on the final deal. If that happened and the result was reversed though, could brexiteers then demand another 1? Like a best of 3 decider? 

Edited by roy munster - 17 November 2018 at 3:36pm
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2018 at 1:57pm

Ah ok, I get you.

The thing about the H2020 funding is that it came from the EU and all Universities in EU countries including Welsh Universities could bid for the same pot of funding by forming partnerships with other Universities around the EU. It was pretty much a level playing field. After Brexit, the UK part of that funding will come from Westminster and whilst the funding may be kept in place, its distribution will be different and you can be sure the Welsh Universities will struggle to get their fair share. 

Also Welsh Universities received vast sums of research funding from the Welsh European Funding Office which is totally separate from H2020.  There is no suggestion that this funding will be continued.

Quite so.

A lot of funding that comes to Wales is channeled through the EU nowadays - because (like it or not) Wales is one of the most deprived areas within the EU.

Is it REALLY likely that the Tories - always in a minority in Wales - will be MORE generous? Or will they keep the money and spend it on tax cuts to the wealthy?

I'm not holding my breath...

“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2018 at 1:58pm

Various polls and the boolies are showing theres an appetite for a second referendum on the final deal. If that happened and the result was reversed though, could brexiteers then demand another 1? Like a best of 3 decider? 

I'd have no problem with that, FWIW. 

At least, after 2 years of seeing these clowns making fools of themselves, people would know who and what they are voting for!
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2018 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

So then: this is the current situation...

Theresa May has completed her deal - she tells us that 'this is the Brexit people voted for'.

Jacob Rees-Mogg tells us: "This is not the Brexit people voted for', and calls for a vote of no confidence in May.

Who is telling the truth?

NEITHER OF THEM - THEY ARE BOTH LYING!

And why?

THERE WAS NEVER AN OFFICIAL DESCRIPTION OF WHAT BREXIT WOULD MEAN IN THE REFERENDUM.
 VOTE

What people actually voted for was as follows:

"have cake and eat it"

"jam tomorrow"

"£350 million a week for the NHS".

In other words, people had a vague, unspecified notion that things would somehow be "Better" after Brexit.

It is pretty obvious by now - even to hard line Brexiters - that this is not the case - otherwise they'd back May. Problem is, they would not be able to negotiate a better deal.

These people would prefer us to leave the EU with 'no deal' - which would be even worse - but also, significantly, NO ONE VOTED FOR A NO DEAL EXIT. Before the referendum, the Brexit supporters insisted it would be a piece of pi** to get a deal done, and that we would be better off.

Another lie, obviously.

Let's have another referendum where the choice is clear...

Q1 Do you support May's Brexit deal? Yes or No? (if yes, this goes forward.)

Q2 If No, then do you prefer:
a to leave the EU with no deal, or
b to stay in the EU?

That would have the benefit of clarity, because at least people would know EXACTLY what deal they're voting on, not some cloud-cuckoo land future which never existed.

And lest someone say 'we've voted and it's the will of the people' - well, in that case, why do we have elections every 5 years? If the will of the people is FIXED FOREVER, let's just live with a Tory minority government backed by the DUP until Kingdom come!

Please Aber you must at least credit some of us Brexiteers will some modicum of common sense. At the time of Brexit I clearly understood what I was voting for :-

1. Control of our borders;
2. Control of our laws & lawmaking;
3. An end to vast annual payments into the unelected, unaudited swamp called Brussels/Strasbourg;
4. An ability to negotiate trade deals free from the hindrance of having to satisfy 27 other countries.

The above are what Brexit meant to me in 2016 and they are what Brexit means to me today. The fact that May has been hamstrung firstly be her over reliance on the DUP and secondly be the weakness of her appointments to the negotiating team does not in any shape or form change the arguement as far as I am concerned. 

The way forward for me would be for May to resign & make way for a new leader from the Brexit side of the Tory party. This leader should then appoint a new negotiating team under the chairmanship of a leading pro leave Industrialist. The brief would be to get a better deal by March 2019 or we leave with no deal saving us £39 billion. As Dominic Raab stated he would prefer us to leave with no deal, ride out the short term problems so that we do not hamstring ourselves for the foreseeable future. 

I'm well aware that most people who voted Brexit did so to keep Johnny Foreigner out. (As my wife is French and so my kids are half French, you will understand why this idea doesn't exactly appeal to me.)

The trade deal is a non starter, as most of our trade is with the EU - so trade will definitely suffer if we pull out.

Laws and lawmaking - granted, the Tories want to pull the rug from under all those soft touchy-feely laws which support workers' rights, and do away with all that anti-torture legislation at the European Court of Human Rights. Human Rights? Who ever heard of such a disgraceful concept!

As for the 'vast payments' - May has signed up to continue those for a while, with nothing in return. ATM, at least, Wales benefits disproportionately from those compared to England - unlike UK spending on England-only schemes like the immensely expensive Crossrail and SE2.

For Wales, especially, it's a no-brainer, as we do more trade as a % with the EU than the rest of the UK - and have ports in Holyhead and Fishguard that will be vulnerable if no deal is signed.

As for renegotiating by March 2019 - miracles don't happen - I'm not religious! The EU have a deal - they will not be willing to waste more time trying to appease the crazy wing of the Tory party.

PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2018 at 2:22pm

Ah ok, I get you.

Wales in general benefitted more than anywhere in the UK with EU funding whether it to be funding to rebuild areas, schools, community projects, countless youth worker jobs, 5x60 officers, funding for libraries, new roads, countless new developments, anything that brought business to the country...at the heart of the vast majority of it was EU funding. Yet the majority of Wales lead to a leave vote. 
What they have proposed in Westminster has very little mention of Wales let alone any money to Wales! The best thing for Wales as a nation was to remain.

Many people voted leave for things that simply would not happen and has not happned, and more importantly will not happen. Farage has even denied that there even were buses advertising there would be x amount per week pumped into the NHS, he has even openly admitted that he was promising the world knowing he would not be able to deliver any of it -
Many of the leave voters I know would love to vote again, and vote remain as it was not made clear exactly what the situation was, exactly what we get from the EU and what we would lose in the EU.

What the answer is now to this mess, I have no idea - and what is more frighting, all the politicians have no clue either.

Many jokes do the rounds that Trump is in the White House...Well I think we have the bigger joke and mess here.

As it stands, its true what they say, "the country" want out of EU, but want to keep all the benefits and seems like we ahave negotiated a whopper price for it!!
It's like wanting to cancel your sky contract but wanting all the channels anyway and pay ten times the amount for the priveledge!

Edited by PE SA - 17 November 2018 at 2:25pm
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2018 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

Ah ok, I get you.

Wales in general benefitted more than anywhere in the UK with EU funding whether it to be funding to rebuild areas, schools, community projects, countless youth worker jobs, 5x60 officers, funding for libraries, new roads, countless new developments, anything that brought business to the country...at the heart of the vast majority of it was EU funding. Yet the majority of Wales lead to a leave vote. 
What they have proposed in Westminster has very little mention of Wales let alone any money to Wales! The best thing for Wales as a nation was to remain.

Many people voted leave for things that simply would not happen and has not happned, and more importantly will not happen. Farage has even denied that there even were buses advertising there would be x amount per week pumped into the NHS, he has even openly admitted that he was promising the world knowing he would not be able to deliver any of it -
Many of the leave voters I know would love to vote again, and vote remain as it was not made clear exactly what the situation was, exactly what we get from the EU and what we would lose in the EU.

What the answer is now to this mess, I have no idea - and what is more frighting, all the politicians have no clue either.

Many jokes do the rounds that Trump is in the White House...Well I think we have the bigger joke and mess here.

As it stands, its true what they say, "the country" want out of EU, but want to keep all the benefits and seems like we ahave negotiated a whopper price for it!!
It's like wanting to cancel your sky contract but wanting all the channels anyway and pay ten times the amount for the priveledge!

Majority of Wales but not the majority of the Welsh ...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DpA7kalWsAAcnKE.jpg:large
M.M. View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote M.M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2018 at 4:40pm
I have seen absolutely nothing from the Leave side to convince me that Llanelli & West Wales will be better off leaving the EU. I cannot envisage a Tory gov't based in Westminster actively investing and making up the shortfall in funding that is needed here; one of the poorest areas in Western Europe.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2018 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by M.M. M.M. wrote:

I have seen absolutely nothing from the Leave side to convince me that Llanelli & West Wales will be better off leaving the EU. I cannot envisage a Tory gov't based in Westminster actively investing and making up the shortfall in funding that is needed here; one of the poorest areas in Western Europe.

Completely and utterly agree. I know it’s a small thing but it’s taken the best part of 800 years to hear Cymraeg spoken in Parliament. A fella got a reply from Jean Claude Junker recently ... in perfect Cymraeg. The tories with Redwood in the Welsh office cut Wales’ budget and they’ve done it again recently. They always promote development on the basis of adding bits of Wales on to the western English regions and never look at Wales as a national entity. It was the EU who ploughed billions of objective one funding into w.Wales and the Valleys. We cant exactly thank Labour for that either because they kept resisting applying for it. It was only after Plaid kicked up a massive fuss that they gave in. Once applied for we were duly awarded it. Now we have a Corbyn led Labour Party as equally divided on Brexit as the tories who keeps harping on about “the regions” and aided by a supine Welsh branch who are content to surrender powers despite two referenda and an act of the assembly to the contrary which they are now trying to repeal.

We are in for a rough ride ahead.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 160>
  Share Topic