FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Brexit bonus...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 160>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Brexit bonus...
    Posted: 12 February 2023 at 8:35am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

Originally posted by totallybiasedscarlet totallybiasedscarlet wrote:

Originally posted by Oracle Oracle wrote:

Cut the bs and just rejoin ..it's not to jet science 

As much as I would vote to rejoin, I don't think the EU would let the UK do so as things stand. I think Britain has to change enormously before they'll let us in again. Until there's deep rooted cultural, constitutional and electoral change - in other words a modern Britain emerges from the ashes of the UK - they'll know that we'll still be the same old massive pain in the backside we were before. The UK is an unstable structure. Need to knock it down and rebuild before we can look abroad.
”Perfection” is always just out of reach, at best. Think of some of the nations in there already and what pains they are. Hungary, for example.

Whatever govt is in place, it will have its critics. There’ll be allegations of, as well as outright, corruption. Some wider checks and measures would be great.

However, as I type, I feel the “force” of GPR rallying to his keyboard to criticise the EU (autocorrect had WRU) and say we are best rid of them.

LOL

Nice one EO - great to start the day with a giggle.LOL. I have consistently agreed that the opportunities as I saw them by Brexit have been, in the main, ruined by a woeful government. For sure covid didn't help matters but the idea of cross party discussions to agree a way forward which includes better cooperation with our European neighbours seems to be a sign of some much required leadership. Long may it continue. 
Absolutely!
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Sponsored Links

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2023 at 8:11am

As much as I would vote to rejoin, I don't think the EU would let the UK do so as things stand. I think Britain has to change enormously before they'll let us in again. Until there's deep rooted cultural, constitutional and electoral change - in other words a modern Britain emerges from the ashes of the UK - they'll know that we'll still be the same old massive pain in the backside we were before. The UK is an unstable structure. Need to knock it down and rebuild before we can look abroad.
”Perfection” is always just out of reach, at best. Think of some of the nations in there already and what pains they are. Hungary, for example.

Whatever govt is in place, it will have its critics. There’ll be allegations of, as well as outright, corruption. Some wider checks and measures would be great.

However, as I type, I feel the “force” of GPR rallying to his keyboard to criticise the EU (autocorrect had WRU) and say we are best rid of them.

LOL

Nice one EO - great to start the day with a giggle.LOL. I have consistently agreed that the opportunities as I saw them by Brexit have been, in the main, ruined by a woeful government. For sure covid didn't help matters but the idea of cross party discussions to agree a way forward which includes better cooperation with our European neighbours seems to be a sign of some much required leadership. Long may it continue. 
Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2023 at 8:08pm
I don't see it being funny , but the biggest thing wrong is the so called UK ..Scotland and Wales have no influence of what happens in Westminster and the further to the right things move , the more we need to rip up this unholy so called alliance and move forward as Wales , not this made up united kingdom ..we are getting abused in every facet of life and even if labour win , I can't see it getting better and inevitably the far right will get back in ...it may be imigrants and minority factions of society but what happens when it's the Welsh and Scottish seen as the problem ...look back to 1934 to see history repeat itself 
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2023 at 7:41pm

LOL
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2023 at 7:06pm

Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2023 at 6:56pm
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2023 at 6:56pm

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/feb/11/revealed-secret-cross-party-summit-held-to-confront-failings-of-brexit
Thanks for that TBS.

Hope it’s something less than a magic wand that’s needed to improve much for many.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2023 at 6:18pm
Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2022 at 9:45am

Originally posted by Rob o'r Bont Rob o'r Bont wrote:

Civilised debate on issues.

Whatever next?!

BTW, Rob, I struggle really to remember much of a campaign from Remainers other than fear. If you did a post-mortem on their campaign it would have complacency writ through it like a stick of rock.

Things have changed and incompetent, sometimes unprincipled, government remains the same. The guff comes only from Westminster and no longer sprouts from Brussels.
Indeed Steve, what I like about debating with GPR is that we can have a good old ding dong but at the end of the debate it's drinks in the cyber bar all round. He's one of the reasons I enjoy coming here. Beer

And yes, the 'remainer' politicians were definitely part of the problem. 

Thank you Rob & Steve the sprout phrase is a cracker.LOL
Embarrassed
I missed that LOL

Edited by Rob o'r Bont - 12 November 2022 at 9:45am
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2022 at 9:38am

Whatever next?!

BTW, Rob, I struggle really to remember much of a campaign from Remainers other than fear. If you did a post-mortem on their campaign it would have complacency writ through it like a stick of rock.

Things have changed and incompetent, sometimes unprincipled, government remains the same. The guff comes only from Westminster and no longer sprouts from Brussels.
Indeed Steve, what I like about debating with GPR is that we can have a good old ding dong but at the end of the debate it's drinks in the cyber bar all round. He's one of the reasons I enjoy coming here. Beer

Embarrassed
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2022 at 7:36am

Whatever next?!

Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2022 at 8:23pm

Whatever next?!

Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2022 at 7:58pm
The only benefit of Brexit is that is super speeded independence from those idiots in Westminster.... Everything was a lie, everything else, nothing but a lie
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2022 at 3:34pm

Whatever next?!

Edited by Eastern outpost - 11 November 2022 at 3:35pm
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2022 at 1:29pm

Morning GPR Smile, my message really is that it’s not Remainers but Leavers who are doing most of the moaning now. 

Just to be clear, I think many people on both sides had valid reasons for the way they voted and I respect that. Many people such as yourself did study the facts and decided that leave was the way forward and that’s fine – but that group of people in themselves would never have been enough to win the ‘Leave’ vote. 

It took a special brand of deception to convince many to vote the way they did and I don't think it's insulting to them to mention this because the lies were very convincing on both sides (although I'm hard pressed to find massive porky's on the remain side).  But many people (fishing industry where the negative impact has been significant being a good example) were seduced into voting leave by false claims about how they would benefit and now regret the decision to leave. I probably would stop talking about it if Leavers didn't keep popping up saying how Brexit hasn't worked for them.

And Brexit clearly isn’t ‘history’. Brexit isn’t done. That’s possibly the biggest deception of the lot. Finding solutions to Covid, the fuel crisis & rampant inflation are hindered by the fact that ministers are still trying to sort out Brexit related problems such as the NI protocol etc. Brexit isn’t done. 

Brexit is done Rob - we ain't a member anymore & we do not pay our contribution so its done as far as I am concerned. Teething problems with things like the NI protocol were always going to be experienced when you had two sides who were sick of negotiating decide to kick the can down the road on the NI issue. Lets not forget that the EU also agree that the protocol is unworkable so they must share the blame. I totally respect your views Rob & hope that you and your family are coping well in these troubling times. Less said about the rugby the better. Confused
Cheers GPR, love debating with you as your perspective helps to inform mine. Clap

All good here GPR, hope all is well with you also.

Same here Rob. Good to hear things are good. We are fine living in splendid isolation in the Brechfa Forest. Doesn't suit everyone but we and the springers love it.LOL
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2022 at 11:18am

Morning GPR Smile, my message really is that it’s not Remainers but Leavers who are doing most of the moaning now. 

Just to be clear, I think many people on both sides had valid reasons for the way they voted and I respect that. Many people such as yourself did study the facts and decided that leave was the way forward and that’s fine – but that group of people in themselves would never have been enough to win the ‘Leave’ vote. 

It took a special brand of deception to convince many to vote the way they did and I don't think it's insulting to them to mention this because the lies were very convincing on both sides (although I'm hard pressed to find massive porky's on the remain side).  But many people (fishing industry where the negative impact has been significant being a good example) were seduced into voting leave by false claims about how they would benefit and now regret the decision to leave. I probably would stop talking about it if Leavers didn't keep popping up saying how Brexit hasn't worked for them.

And Brexit clearly isn’t ‘history’. Brexit isn’t done. That’s possibly the biggest deception of the lot. Finding solutions to Covid, the fuel crisis & rampant inflation are hindered by the fact that ministers are still trying to sort out Brexit related problems such as the NI protocol etc. Brexit isn’t done. 

Brexit is done Rob - we ain't a member anymore & we do not pay our contribution so its done as far as I am concerned. Teething problems with things like the NI protocol were always going to be experienced when you had two sides who were sick of negotiating decide to kick the can down the road on the NI issue. Lets not forget that the EU also agree that the protocol is unworkable so they must share the blame. I totally respect your views Rob & hope that you and your family are coping well in these troubling times. Less said about the rugby the better. Confused
Cheers GPR, love debating with you as your perspective helps to inform mine. Clap

All good here GPR, hope all is well with you also.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 160>
  Share Topic