Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wales Squad for AI's

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigRed1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wales Squad for AI's
    Posted: 16 October 2018 at 10:36am
Any thoughts on the Wales team for the AI's?
IMHO there are competitions in every position.
FB - HP and Williams
Wings - Morgan, North, Williams, Lane must be in the mix.
Centres Parks and Foxy are probably shoe-ins with a few breathing down on them.
FH - Anscombe, Patchell, Evans (Blues) & Priestland (Not sure if Biggar is available).
SH - Williams (Blues), Cawdor, probably favourites but a few breathing down on them.
That's the backs.
Tomorrow the forwards :-D
BigRed
Sponsored Links

BigRed1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigRed1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2018 at 10:39am
Originally posted by BigRed1 BigRed1 wrote:

Any thoughts on the Wales team for the AI's?
IMHO there are competitions in every position.
FB - HP and Williams
Wings - Morgan, North, Williams, Lane must be in the mix.
Centres Parks and Foxy are probably shoe-ins with a few breathing down on them.
FH - Anscombe, Patchell, Evans (Blues) & Priestland (Not sure if Biggar is available).
SH - Williams (Blues), Cawdor, probably favourites but a few breathing down on them.
That's the backs.
Tomorrow the forwards :-D

Gats is announcing his squad today.
If I've got time before his announcement I'll give my idea of the forwards.
Unfortunately I have commitments now but I will make a prediction that a large contingent will come from the Blues, then us then Ospreys plus one or two from Dragons.
BigRed
Owen111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Owen111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2018 at 11:57am
I think I read that Lane was injured, Steff Evans, Adams probably 

Outside punt - Jordan Williams - still heck of a liability defensively 
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2018 at 12:01pm
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2018 at 1:38pm
I din't know that Lane and Navidi were injured - Owen111 mentions Lane above.

Obviously, Jonah Holmes of Leicester is the rabbit out of the hat - never heard of him, Welsh dadcu, good try scoring record for the Tigers... maybe we'll know more about him after the weekend! Luke Morgan has been going well, so no surprise there.

After Patch's HIAs, I'd expect Anscombe to be given a shot at 10... never been much of a fan, but his form recently does appear to be very good, so why not?

Tomos Young is a bit of a surprise omission, unless it's something to do with playing in England. Is Owen Williams injured? I don't follow rugby 'over the border' with any great attention.

No doubt, the squad will be rotated to avoid burn-out over 4 tests... and England-based players are unlikely to be released for Scotland. I think the strongest XV/23 available ATM might be:

15 Halfpenny
14 North
13 Foxy
12 Parkes
11 Liam
10 Anscombe
9 Cawdor

8 Moriarty
7 Tipuric
6 Jenkins
5 AWJ
4 Hill or Ball
3 Samson
2 Ken
1 Wyn Jones

reps:

16 Dee
17 Rob Evans
18 Francis
19 Ball or Hill
20 Wainwright (?)
21 Tomos Williams
22 Patch (if fit)
23 Adams (?)

Given the small number of back row forwards included, the snub to Young is baffling... Lydiate's game has been under attack by the ban on the chop tackle, and I'm not sure what he offers now. I don't know much about Wainwright, though he's had a good press. Obviously, Shingler and Cubby would be in the mix if fit. Ollie Griffiths is another whose omission seems odd - he was very promising - has he gone backwards? Some other nations have gone for jumbo-sized squads... we may not have the talent to do that, but the back row cupboard does look rather bare for the AIs.

“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2018 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

After Patch's HIAs, I'd expect Anscombe to be given a shot at 10... never been much of a fan, but his form recently does appear to be very good, so why not?

Totally agree, he was superb against Lyon on the weekend....though he played FB ConfusedConfusedConfused
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2018 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Totally agree, he was superb against Lyon on the weekend....though he played FB ConfusedConfusedConfused

Haha!

Blues won't play Patch at 10, so he comes to us...Thumbs Up

Anscombe stays with Blues and wants to play 10 for Wales...

...but young thruster Jarrod Evans takes the 10 shirt and displaces Anscombe to 15!

You couldn't make it up!LOL
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2018 at 1:59pm

Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Haha!

Blues won't play Patch at 10, so he comes to us...Thumbs Up

Anscombe stays with Blues and wants to play 10 for Wales...

...but young thruster Jarrod Evans takes the 10 shirt and displaces Anscombe to 15!

You couldn't make it up!LOL

Makes me giggle everytime I see him line up at 15 for the Blues!! LOL
BigRed1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigRed1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2018 at 2:09pm
TBQH I was expecting more Blues players, especially the forwards, into the mix.
Sorry that Jarrod Evans is not in the backline but I think his time will come.
I would have preferred to see him included before yesterday's man, Biggar.
Difficult to know how Biggar is doing because he is outside of the goldfish bowl.
Overall, it looks like a good competitive squad.
BigRed
BigRed1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigRed1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2018 at 2:13pm

Difficult to know how Biggar is doing because he is outside of the goldfish bowl.
Just another word about Jarrod. I think he is the type of FH we are going to need against the SH teams. He is a strong no-nonsense FH and his decision making is excellent as is his ability to break through tackles and offload.
There is a good reason why he is preferred at FH to Anscombe.
BigRed
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2018 at 2:15pm

Just another word about Jarrod. I think he is the type of FH we are going to need against the SH teams. He is a strong no-nonsense FH and his decision making is excellent as is his ability to break through tackles and offload.
There’s also a very good reason why he plays a lot better with Anscombe at 15. He admits that himself
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
tigerburnie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2018 at 2:26pm
Jonah came to Tigers from Leeds, has been given a chance and taken it well.
BigRed1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigRed1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2018 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

There’s also a very good reason why he plays a lot better with Anscombe at 15. He admits that himself
Granted! They are an excellent combination. Very different players so very difficult for the opposition to read. Maybe it is the direct power play of Jarrod that creates space for the mercurial Anscombe.
BigRed
PTScarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PTScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2018 at 2:44pm
What happened to Garlands law? If he’s selecting Holmes then why should Webb be worried?
One eyed turk, nothing more nothing less.
BigRed1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigRed1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2018 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by PTScarlet PTScarlet wrote:

What happened to Garlands law? If he’s selecting Holmes then why should Webb be worried?
I'm also confused.
Why is Webb not included if Biggar is? Unless he is injured. Shocked
BigRed
Cwm_gwendraeth View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cwm_gwendraeth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2018 at 3:14pm
few interesting quotes from Gatland. Says Holmes was close to signing for us a few seasons ago but fell through last minute and in his opinion Patch will need to take a break from the game if he bangs his head again. (gats is now a neurosurgeon by the way)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic