Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Aled to Ospreys

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 10>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diego6754 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2017 at 10:31am
To be successful you need two very good scrum halves and one good solid third scrum half. Aled was a good solid scrum half, I don't think he's got the weapons in attack or defence to be very good. Most of the season whether its down to internationals or injuries you're going to be missing one of them. From what I've seen Declan Smith is not ready to take up that mantle and most of the names on here are not good enough. Certainly not Kieran Hardy and even Tavis is scrapping the barrel a bit, although I can see a career rescue mission on this one as he had a lot of potential as a youngster.
Sponsored Links

diego6754 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diego6754 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2017 at 10:33am
Originally posted by Matthew Cardey Matthew Cardey wrote:

Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Originally posted by PTScarlet PTScarlet wrote:

What is happening at the region? I thought winning the league would be a positive but so far we have lost 4 internationals (Beirne, Scott, Barclay & Aled). Two of them to the enemy. Who’s next out the door?
Unfair to make a judgement on the strength or otherwise of the squad for next season until recruitment is complete.

Definitely, there will be more signings for us before he end of the season but they will be held back until we need some feel good stories. These announcements for the ospreys is there to reassure the fans with some good news. This makes sense for aled. He is likely to be no.1 SH at the spreys with webb moving on and im sure his salary will reflect that. We were never going to be able to keep the 3 of them.

Spot on, we have some big names who renewed contracts months ago which they have not spilled the beans on yet. So no doubt we've also made some signings which they are holding back.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2017 at 10:44am
Tavis has had a hell of a few years but if he's fit he would be ideal in my opinion. I remember having a drink with his mam & dad after we had lost out in Clermont a few years ago. They were so proud of him & he was so excited to be playing for the Scarlets. It can be a cruel career sometimes. 
crj89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crj89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2017 at 10:51am
What sort of player is Darren Allinson, good player? Seems at the same level that Jonathan Evans was for Bath, playing the Anglo Welsh games and the occasional Premiership and Champions cup games when there have been injuries. Would he make a good 3rd choice?
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2017 at 10:54am
So....OnTheMove just tweeted -
"Could Lloyd Williams be on his way to join his brother at PYS? Keep your eyes peeled..."

No idea how accurate their twitter page is though.
seany61 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seany61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2017 at 10:56am
Lloyd Williams name is doing the rounds
Think, Think, Think .... Its a thinking game.
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2017 at 11:04am
No thanks to Lloyd Williams. Need a NWQ solid option like Gibson-Park of Leinster that won’t be off for international call ups.
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2017 at 11:07am
Herschell. Bring in the Hersch
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2017 at 11:34am
I'd take Lloyd Williams every day of the week.
Once a monkey View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Pull !!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Once a monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2017 at 11:38am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by Once a monkey Once a monkey wrote:

Why do we need to recruit? Isn't Declan good enough to step up? Genuine question as I haven't seen much of him. 
Lot better young 9s around imo. I could be wrong, but seen little to suggest he will make that jump. 

Thanks for the info. Who would you recruit as 3rd choice from your experience? 
Its a tough one, as there isn't a huge amount of guys between 20-24 in Wales who would appear to fit the bill.

Os will lose Webb and Leonard I suspect, so will have Aled, Habberfield and Rueben Morgan Williams. They have a great kid Harri Morgan coming behind who is playing for Bridgend this season, and he has a big future ahead of him if he says fit. Doubt we would take a punt though, albeit he is a better player, imo, than the 17 year old Dan Babos who played 9 for the Dragons on Friday.

Tavis is out injured all season after wrist surgery so he is a non starter imo. The young boy, is it Tom Williams (?), at the Blues looks very sharp and is well thought of, but would he move to potentially be third choice?

Mark referenced Harry Randell above. He has no business being a pro player at his size, he is tiny if you haven't seen him, but he is a prodigious talent. Already played for Glaws and with Hartbury this season I think.

Depends what profile we are after in truth. Could probably do a lot worse than retain our Saffer chap
#George
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2017 at 11:51am

Why do we need to recruit? Isn't Declan good enough to step up? Genuine question as I haven't seen much of him. 
Lot better young 9s around imo. I could be wrong, but seen little to suggest he will make that jump. 

Its a tough one, as there isn't a huge amount of guys between 20-24 in Wales who would appear to fit the bill.

Os will lose Webb and Leonard I suspect, so will have Aled, Habberfield and Rueben Morgan Williams. They have a great kid Harri Morgan coming behind who is playing for Bridgend this season, and he has a big future ahead of him if he says fit. Doubt we would take a punt though, albeit he is a better player, imo, than the 17 year old Dan Babos who played 9 for the Dragons on Friday.

Tavis is out injured all season after wrist surgery so he is a non starter imo. The young boy, is it Tom Williams (?), at the Blues looks very sharp and is well thought of, but would he move to potentially be third choice?

Mark referenced Harry Randell above. He has no business being a pro player at his size, he is tiny if you haven't seen him, but he is a prodigious talent. Already played for Glaws and with Hartbury this season I think.

Depends what profile we are after in truth. Could probably do a lot worse than retain our Saffer chap

Thanks for that OAM - unusually for us the cupboard at 9 seems a little threadbare. Just read that Lloyd Williams from the Blues is being talked about. He would be a steady choice but would probably not be cheap. With recruitment needed in other areas I think we may try to muddle through next year with Declan & Grabham.
Mugwuffin View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mugwuffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2017 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

So....OnTheMove just tweeted -
"Could Lloyd Williams be on his way to join his brother at PYS? Keep your eyes peeled..."

No idea how accurate their twitter page is though.

Surely he’d be more expensive than the contract we offered Aled.
Once a monkey View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Pull !!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Once a monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2017 at 12:25pm

Thanks for that OAM - unusually for us the cupboard at 9 seems a little threadbare. Just read that Lloyd Williams from the Blues is being talked about. He would be a steady choice but would probably not be cheap. With recruitment needed in other areas I think we may try to muddle through next year with Declan & Grabham.
The boy with the U18s from Llandovery, whose name escapes me at the moment looks a very tidy player behind a good back. Not sure if he has been exposed to Premiership yet tho.

Lloyd Williams career has stalled, so maybe he is after a fresh challenge. On his day he would challenge to be our No1
#George
ScarletSpiderman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletSpiderman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2017 at 12:30pm
The intersting thing is next season it looks like three of the four regins will have a Scarlets product as their first choice scrum half (Rhordi at the Dregs, and Aled at Lospreys).  So we are obviously producing them at a healthy rate.
T_RICHARDS_94 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_RICHARDS_94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2017 at 12:31pm
Scarlets twitter saying there will be an announcement at 2pm today.
Pivac stated in press conference that a SH has signed... we're heavily linked with Lloyd Williams... That's who my money's on
Writer for The Rugby Club
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2017 at 12:38pm
I'd be happy with Lloyd, I don't think he will be away as much as Cawdor & Aled are at present, though that is me forgetting that Webb will 'not be picked' by Gatland so who knows...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 10>
  Share Topic