Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

All time favourite Scarlet try

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LLANDRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: All time favourite Scarlet try
    Posted: 17 September 2017 at 6:37pm
What is your all time favourite try? Scarlets/Llanelli. I have a few personal favourites apart from the obvious. One of my favourites was Mark Jones against London Irish in Reading when we went unbeaten in the group. Another was when Proctor turned Titley inside out at the Arms Park but my favourite was seeing Simon Davies scoring against Pontypool in the cup final.. Nathan Thomas try in Toulouse was good one too.
West is Best (Fin gwybod)
Sponsored Links

Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2017 at 12:12am
We Llanelli RFC and Scarlets fans have been spoiled for great tries over the years due to our rugby playing philosophy. It's almost impossible to pick an all time favourite but the tries that stick in my head are the following:
Team effort:
Priestland versus Perpignan in 2010 at parc y scarlets when he was playing fullback and finished off a move which saw the ball pass through several pairs of hands including 2 reverse passes (see YouTube)
Individual effort:
Ian (spaceman) Jones in the 1991 Schweppes cup final in the old Cardiff arms park. He received the ball from a teammate just outside his own 22 meter line, he stood up 2 Pontypool players on his own 10 meter line before looping around them and sprinting away down the left hand touchline.
There have also been some great team tries scored over the past few months, including some works of beauty in the semifinal and final of pro 12 last season.
Dafen Boy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dafen Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2017 at 12:55am
JJ Williams at Rhymney in the QF of the Welsh Cup in 1973, when we were losing with about 8 minutes to go to Rhymney with all our Lions and internationals playing.. (6 Lions)

Edited by Dafen Boy - 18 September 2017 at 12:55am
ScarletSpiderman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ScarletSpiderman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2017 at 9:28am
Barry Davies' try in Franklin Gardens when he slid in feeet first to secure the ball on teh deck before racing away.

Nathan Thomas' try in Toulouse.

Or Priest againg USAP at PYS.
M.M. View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M.M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2017 at 10:14am
Dafydd James v Wasps at Stradey, 2000. What a player; what a game.
Micro Duck View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Micro Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2017 at 11:30am
Not sure I could pick one, but the 92/93 season was littered with classics!
New KALAMAFONI - BEAST MODE t-shirt now available online.

Plus a new 'Sosban Fach Scoundrels' range.

Paste the link below into your URL:
https://llanelli.teemill.com/
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2017 at 12:05pm
Think I'd struggle to narrow it down to a top 20 let alone 1!
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2017 at 12:13pm
We've scored some great tries and still lost ( last weekend a case in point really)

For pure emotion Ieuan's against the Wallabies.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2017 at 12:17pm
Both are mentioned above for me, Barry Davies against Northampton & Mark Jones v L.Irish
AstroScarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AstroScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2017 at 12:47pm
Always loved the try up in Leicester after that Perpignan game with Rhys' try in which Stoddart scored.

Beirne's in the final was special. I mean pretty much every try we have scored since the beginning of our run in last year have all been pretty spectacular.
'Stand up at home if you're watching, that was one of the Heineken Cup great tries'
scarletsbeno1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletsbeno1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2017 at 1:17pm
Good video on youtube top 10 scarlets tries. My personal favourite Barry Davies Northampton Away 2004. Honourable mention for Mark Jones away in Stade 2008 Stoddard with the assist. 
Tim Opolis View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Opolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2017 at 1:28pm
The older generation (even older than meWink) would say one of the greatest tries ever was the try against South Africa on horrible wet muddy Stradey Park pitch where virtually everyone handled the ball in an amazing move which lead to a try in the NW corner (Pwll End).

2 of Mark Jones's spring to mind- Topsy Ojo and one he scored against Wasps at a foggy Stradey, Ive not seen such off the mark pace.

For out and celebration you cant beat the one in Toulouse. Followed closely by Ieuan/Moonie against Oz.

This and last season we have scored some belters, but the one I'm picking is the Perpignan one at Y Parc.
To have a great try that lasts in the memory it helps if the commentary is also good. That try was an absolute cracker and for me sums up what Scarlet rugby is all about and the try of course included the legend that is Regan King. Scored from a set piece as well.
Tymor nesa Duw, plis tymor nesa.
PritchyTheScarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Young Munster 2004 - Neyland RFC Tour

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PritchyTheScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2017 at 2:17pm
In my life time, the best Scarlets try I've seen is Stoddart against Leicester at Welford Road in 2010. Maybe not one of the best known or remembered tries, but IMO it was sensational. The handling from the backs, the timing of the passes, the angle of running and changes of direction (which Miles Harrison highlighted in commentary) were some of the best I've ever seen. The reason that I think it's the best is there we so many moments in the attack where something could have gone wrong, e.g. knock on, forward pass or the timing of the pass being just off. It was perfection. Also, the context is important because IIRC we got battered by 50 odd points, so to be able to score a try like that and still lose a game is remarkable. To also do it against such a big team in front of a full house on Sky Sports made it so much more special.

A close runner up is Priestland's aforementioned try against Perpignan, very similar in many ways to Stoddart's against Leicester, in terms of the handling, angles and our position on the field when the attack started. Great to say that I was there when it happened, and IIRC almost all of the tries scored that day, by us and Perpignan were brilliant. We won 43-34 and it's one of the best games of rugby I've had the pleasure of watching.

Edited by PritchyTheScarlet - 18 September 2017 at 2:21pm
“Gareth Edwards just ran 30 yards and got a Knighthood, I sidestepped five players and got arthritis in both knees.” - Benny
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2017 at 2:32pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4NkiLu_kwg

first minute is spacemans classic try , the 15 man classic against the springboks 1970 by alun richards in 23rd minute of the video and and simon davies cup final try at the start.......the others to catch the eye, a cracking try against the 1953 all blacks in front of the biggest crowd ive ever seen at stradey ...barry johns wonder try against south africa in 1970...jj length of the field against the aussies 33 minutes..grav scored  anice cup final try on around 42 minutes as did jj same game.....ieuan against aussies....johnny griff cup final try 46 minutes..take your pick from our win in toulouse...etc
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
T_RICHARDS_94 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_RICHARDS_94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2017 at 2:39pm

The handling in the Priestland try vs Perpignan in 2010 was unbelievable.

Regan Velvet Hands King at his best.

Writer for The Rugby Club
PritchyTheScarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Young Munster 2004 - Neyland RFC Tour

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PritchyTheScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2017 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by T_RICHARDS_94 T_RICHARDS_94 wrote:

The handling in the Priestland try vs Perpignan in 2010 was unbelievable.

Regan Velvet Hands King at his best.

The only player I know who could beat a man with his eyes.
“Gareth Edwards just ran 30 yards and got a Knighthood, I sidestepped five players and got arthritis in both knees.” - Benny
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic