Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Team for Ulster

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote multinational Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2017 at 6:31pm
I have a couple of concerns with the conferences:

Some teams, when facing a loss to a team not in their own conference, have little to play for at the end of the game because giving away a 4 point loss or a 5 point loss will only ultimately lose them points difference. This may see teams giving up at the end of games rather than fighting for whatever they can get.

The protected derby games, as pleased as I am to keep them, are unbalanced. Glasgow playing Edinburgh a few times would appear to be easier games than us playing the ospreys twice for example.

Just some observations

Edited by multinational - 13 September 2017 at 6:32pm
History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again.
Sponsored Links

ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2017 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by multinational multinational wrote:

Some teams, when facing a loss to a team not in their own conference, have little to play for at the end of the game because giving away a 4 point loss or a 5 point loss will only ultimately lose them points difference. This may see teams giving up at the end of games rather than fighting for whatever they can get.

The protected derby games, as pleased as I am to keep them, are unbalanced. Glasgow playing Edinburgh a few times would appear to be easier games than us playing the ospreys twice for example.

Just some observations

Glasgow only won the 1872 Cup last season by a 2 point aggregate score. Edinburgh seem a tougher proposition this season.
multinational View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote multinational Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2017 at 6:50pm
Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

Originally posted by multinational multinational wrote:

Just some observations

Glasgow only won the 1872 Cup last season by a 2 point aggregate score. Edinburgh seem a tougher proposition this season.

A poor example then. Zebre playing treviso several times...
History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again.
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2017 at 12:38am
It's an awful league, and it's going to get worse with German and US teams of questionable provenance. But it's all we got.
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
Dafen Boy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dafen Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2017 at 2:41am
Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

It's an awful league, and it's going to get worse with German and US teams of questionable provenance. But it's all we got.

Speaking from experience, the US teams have no provenance..Embarrassed

However, I believe the Saracens are playing in Philadelphia this weekend. Interesting to see how big the crowd is....up against College Football or the NFL...tough one, especially with little betting
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2017 at 8:08am

Moaning about structure isn't going to get us anywhere. What matters more is the quality of rugby on offer - and Scarlets supporters, at least, have nothing to complain about in that regard over the last few months!

Consider the NFL in the USA - that is anything but an 'all-play-all' league, but it is immensely popular, presumably because it's had time to bed in the system to the point where the supporters accept it.

You might as well moan about the fact that the championship is now decided by a play-off system, rather than simply awarding it to the team with the most points at the end of the regular season... something I was initially unhappy about, but I've changed my mind - and not just because the Scarlets won the title last season, BTW, though that did no harm! The Aviva, and rugby league, both use the system - and the NFL Superbowl also works via a play-off system. It definitely makes for a more exciting end to the season, though I still feel the team with most points should get some sort of trophy, maybe one for each conference in our case. (NFL teams are pretty chuffed if they win their own conference, even if they don't win the Superbowl.) It's also true that the distances teams have to travel in the USA can be very great, and can involve crossing several time zones.

Just saying.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
InTheBath View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote InTheBath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2017 at 8:51am
The Italians joining the Pro10 (or whatever it was) and the expansion of Super Rugby is the cause for concern, despite all the plans pretty much all the new teams are still rubbish or even a bit worse. Only the Lions who came back into the S15 have made an impression, and they were a former powerhouse of SA rugby.

IF, and a big if, the South African 2 strengthen over the next 2 years to genuine top 4-6 potential sides then with Leinster, Munster, Ulster, Glasgow, Us (not to mention a rjuvinated Ospreys, Cardiff, Edinburgh) then we could start to see much more quality games and a better league.

History tells us this won't happen.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2017 at 9:40am
What is the point in anyone complaining about the standard of the league? It is what it is and the organisers have realised the need for change to help finance the teams. Surely that is enough!! When it comes to criticising the standard of our league it is worth pointing out how successful players from this so called poor league have been. Look at the recent Lions tour participation; two teams through to the semi finals of the Champions Cup last season - not bad for a micky mouse competition!!!!

Ask Foxy what he thinks of the league & its ability to prepare him for the biggest stage.
1carmscarletsfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1carmscarletsfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2017 at 10:48am
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2017 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

What is the point in anyone complaining about the standard of the league? It is what it is and the organisers have realised the need for change to help finance the teams. Surely that is enough!! When it comes to criticising the standard of our league it is worth pointing out how successful players from this so called poor league have been. Look at the recent Lions tour participation; two teams through to the semi finals of the Champions Cup last season - not bad for a micky mouse competition!!!!

Ask Foxy what he thinks of the league & its ability to prepare him for the biggest stage.

Spot on.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2017 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Quite so. 

People are too ready to take the English BS about how good their league is at face value. Before Sarries - just one European title in 10 years, FFS!
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
crj89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crj89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2017 at 2:21pm
The only thing that the English league has on the Pro14 is crowd size, the rugby on show is not superior in any way.

We need to go away from the BBC as the commentary is always so negative, you wouldn't see that on BT or Sky.

If we had commentators bigging up the league rather than shooting it down at every opportunity, maybe we'd get the armchair supporters to the ground and see how good it really is.

supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2017 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by crj89 crj89 wrote:

The only thing that the English league has on the Pro14 is crowd size, the rugby on show is not superior in any way.

We need to go away from the BBC as the commentary is always so negative, you wouldn't see that on BT or Sky.

If we had commentators bigging up the league rather than shooting it down at every opportunity, maybe we'd get the armchair supporters to the ground and see how good it really is.

Can't really compare the crowds. Most AVP teams are well established clubs in large catchment areas. they are also not on TV every week. Look at the crowds for Saracens, Sale, Newcastle - not spectacular. The only club who has moved away from their homeland and made it work is Wasps. The travelling is also easier for away fans as it's all in England so not flights etc. Crowd versus population of catchment area actually puts our crowds in a good light in comparison imho.
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2017 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Moaning about structure isn't going to get us anywhere. What matters more is the quality of rugby on offer - and Scarlets supporters, at least, have nothing to complain about in that regard over the last few months!

I'll reserve my right to moan thanks. I'm old enough to be considered a grumpy old man.
The only thing that matters to me is us putting a great team out and playing great rugby, winning more than we lose.

That takes money. And I firmly believe that continual expansion will make the league less attractive to TV and sponsors than it is now, and less accessible to punters.

I was ok with the Saffers joining, SA is in the same time zone and is a mature rugby market, with the potential to become competitive sides. 

However currently they've been a bit poo. The Italians are poo. The Dragons are poo. Edinburgh are average, Cardiff are poo. Most of the games are easy to predict because one side is poo.
The Germans will be poo. The Americans will be poo.

I don't see how all this poo will have broadcasters fighting over us.I really don't
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2017 at 7:36pm

Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

I'll reserve my right to moan thanks. I'm old enough to be considered a grumpy old man.
The only thing that matters to me is us putting a great team out and playing great rugby, winning more than we lose.

That takes money. And I firmly believe that continual expansion will make the league less attractive to TV and sponsors than it is now, and less accessible to punters.

I was ok with the Saffers joining, SA is in the same time zone and is a mature rugby market, with the potential to become competitive sides. 

However currently they've been a bit poo. The Italians are poo. The Dragons are poo. Edinburgh are average, Cardiff are poo. Most of the games are easy to predict because one side is poo.
The Germans will be poo. The Americans will be poo.

I don't see how all this poo will have broadcasters fighting over us.I really don't

You have every right to moan - it just doesn't achieve anything (except make you feel better). And I'm probably older than you are, with even better qualifications to be deemed a curmudgeon and a codger!

The Saffers are bringing in more money, and I'll be surprised if their teams aren't competitive in a couple of years - even this year, they'll be hard to beat at home, IMO. As far as I know, any move to expend into the USA or anywhere else remains pie in the sky, at the moment, so hardly worth commenting on until it risks becoming a reality.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic