Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Pete 'the meat' Edwards maps out Scarlets future
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pete 'the meat' Edwards maps out Scarlets future

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote surfing-mtber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pete 'the meat' Edwards maps out Scarlets future
    Posted: 22 July 2016 at 2:48pm
From the WM:

Cult-hero Pete 'the meat' Edwards maps out his Scarlets future, saying 'age is just a number'

His ample physique makes him a stand-out figure in Wayne Pivac's squad, and the respected prop says he's not done yet

He’s 36 and a cult-hero at Parc y Scarlets, and Pete ‘the meat ‘ Edwards wants it to stay that way for the foreseeable future.

For while he is well into his mid-30s, Edwards insists he has no thoughts of retirement just yet.

That’s why he was to be found piling into pre-season work at the Scarlets training base at the Royal Welsh Show this week, his nickname probably apt for the Region’s temporary HQ.

Edwards’ somewhat rotund physique may have endeared him to supporters, but on the field he is certainly no laughing matter for opponents, his 18 matches last season and proven ability to go the distance in matches winning widespread respect.

“I just want to keep playing,” said the Scarlets prop during a break in exertions at Builth Wells.

“People ask me for how long I intend to go on, and I say for as long as I’m good enough.

“I just enjoy rugby. If I’m not playing I’m annoyed.

“The Scarlets is a great environment to be in, with a great bunch of boys.

“I take it year by year, but my attitude has always been that age is just a number.

“All the ex-players I talk to tell me that you are a long-time retired and say you have to make the most of it while you can.”

Edwards certainly has been making the most of the twilight years of his playing career.

Last season, he featured in 18 matches for the region and 23 the year before. In a high-octane Pro12 encounter against Ulster in Belfast, he went the distance — a rare occurrence for any front-rower in the modern game — playing a crucial role in arguably the Scarlets’ best result of the campaign.

With Wales’s first-choice tight-head Samson Lee having undergone shoulder surgery that is expected to keep him sidelined for the opening couple of months of the season and Rhodri Jones now across the Loughor with the Ospreys, Pete ‘The Meat’ is likely to be heavily involved again.

The Scarlets have signed experienced Springbok prop Werner Kruger from the Bulls, but overseas arrivals often take time to settle in.

And that means Edwards could well start the campaign as Wayne Pivac’s first-choice in the No. 3 jersey.

“There will be enough rugby for everyone, with international blocks and injuries happening,” adds Edwards, who was voted the Scarlets’ clubman of the year in 2015-16.

“We need a deep squad because we don’t want to be left exposed at any point in the campaign. Fifteen players on their own can’t do the job and play every single game. It has to be about having cover, and last season I think we did have it.

“Everyone wants to play. I’m one of those blokes who thrives on a lot of rugby: The more I play, the better I get.

“As a player, I know what I’m good at and I know what I’m not so good at.

“I have to keep working hard to impress the coaches. They want to have headaches. They want to have tough choices to make.”

The Scarlets will be Wales’s lone representatives in the top tier of European rugby in the coming season, plunged into a Champions Cup pool alongside defending champions Saracens, three-times winners Toulon and Sale Sharks.

Pivac has already insisted his side are determined to deliver much-improved performances in the wake of their disappointing whitewash last season.

The New Zealander will also hope his players can take that step into the play-offs — something which eluded them late on in 2015-16.

“We have to be positive,” is Edwards’s outlook on what lies ahead.

“We are all looking forward to the season. The boys have been training hard and a lot of thought is going into our preparations.

“Everyone wants to be in the Champions Cup and we are in it, so the next thing to do is make sure we enjoy it and do ourselves justice.

“People talk about our group being really tough, and it is.

“But you expect that when you’re in the Champions Cup and it’s about stepping up to the challenge.

“Personally, I want to be playing against the likes of Toulon, Saracens and Sale.

“There are some world-class players at those clubs and I want to play against those guys to see how much better they are than I am. I want to test myself and I want to give my all for the Scarlets.”

Joshua24:15
Sponsored Links

Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2016 at 5:15pm
Great to hear those words in that article.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Scarletstarch View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarletstarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2016 at 5:32pm
Keep up the good work Pete!! Clap
"YMA O HYD"
scarletabroad View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletabroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2016 at 5:35pm
I expect nothing else from him and I hope the rest of the squad have a similar ethos. Wel done Pete look forward to watching you again this this
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2016 at 6:22pm

Pete the Meat,top guy and folk hero 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2016 at 7:41pm
Scarlets legend! We're lucky to have him and lads like Sanjay at the region. Superb attitude. I'd be happy for a team full of lads with the mentality those lads have!
Mr Ian View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2016 at 7:57pm
a real example for the young boys...great Pete
BigRed View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2016 at 11:04pm
Pete is a total [beep]ing legend. 

The end. 
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2016 at 8:32am
Great guy, but that last line said it all for me.

With such a passive mentality, in a sport where the main aim is to dominate your opposition, is it any wonder we fail to win anything year after year?

“There are some world-class players at those clubs and I want to play against those guys to see how much better they are than I am>>>>"

Edited by Speedy - 30 July 2016 at 8:33am
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2016 at 9:24am
Maybe he's really thinking they're not, really, and it's just a load of hype.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2016 at 9:29am
What players tell the papers and do are two completely different things especially when coming up against top players. 

He is talking about some of the worlds best. world cup winners. champions cup winners. respected international players. Edwards is none of those things but is more than capable of winning pens at scrum time and get under their skin like he did v Ulster. 

Talking is done best on the pitch. 
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2016 at 10:52am
Yes Pete is simply saying 'bring it on' isn't he and put them to the test-thats nothing to do with giving up and is in fact the opposite. I hope Pete has had great preseason and is fit to go as will be needed with Werner in first 2-3 months of season. 
supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2016 at 11:34am
Originally posted by Speedy Speedy wrote:

With such a passive mentality, in a sport where the main aim is to dominate your opposition, is it any wonder we fail to win anything year after year?

“There are some world-class players at those clubs and I want to play against those guys to see how much better they are than I am>>>>"

Or is he saying, let's see how much better these so called world class players are than me.
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2016 at 11:51am
Originally posted by supertaf supertaf wrote:

Originally posted by Speedy Speedy wrote:

Or is he saying, let's see how much better these so called world class players are than me.
That's how I read it
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic